Poll

Which option best describes how you feel about A7X?

I like them
50 (45.5%)
Indifferent
28 (25.5%)
I dislike them because the whole Mike Portnoy thing left a bad taste in my mouth
2 (1.8%)
I dislike them for reasons unrelated to Mike Portnoy
30 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Author Topic: An Avenged Sevenfold poll  (Read 6569 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
An Avenged Sevenfold poll
« on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:38 PM »
Just curious.  Where do you fall?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: An Avenged Sevenfold poll
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:21:38 PM »

Reasons being: I don't like their music and the singer is annoying.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »
Last option. I only like a few songs. Everything else just isn't good to me.

Their fans annoyed me too after the whole MP playing for them. People threw water bottles and other things at the kit during the intro at the show I went to and a few others shows too
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »
I like them, I like them a lot.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Last option. I only like a few songs. Everything else just isn't good to me.

Their fans annoyed me too after the whole MP playing for them. People threw water bottles and other things at the kit during the intro at the show I went to and a few others shows too

Probably because their resurrection spell didn't work...

I wouldn't doubt it if their new drummer suffered the same douchebaggery.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:33:50 PM »
Funny, I heard from lots of eyewitness accounts and MP himself that the fans were pretty respectful towards him.

Anyways, I used to dislike them a lot (unrelated to MP) but now I just dislike them.  There are some good moments in the songs I've heard, but I don't think its stuff I want to listen to.  Again, unrelated to MP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:42:00 PM »
I hadn't really thought much about them for a little while until this morning.  I was watching someone's video they posted over in the musicians section, and a few links later, was at someone's drum cover of Nightmare, which made me want to listen to that album for the first time in awhile.  It just got me thinking back over the last year or so.  Prior to Portnoy joining, I hadn't heard them.  I had heard of them, but hadn't heard their material.  I bought Nightmare out of curiosity and I like it.  I don't like it enough to make me go out and search out their other stuff, but I pull that album off the shelf every now and then and enjoy it.  I remember some people being bitter toward them because of Mike's situation, so I was just curious how many people like them, and of those that don't, how many dislike them because of the Mike situation versus other reasons. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
I'm indifferent.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
Funny, I heard from lots of eyewitness accounts and MP himself that the fans were pretty respectful towards him.
It only happened at a few shows, I can't find the video where you can see a bottle thrown. A vast majority were respectful, there were some bad eggs though
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 07:46:39 PM »

Exactly this
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
I have become a huge fan of Nightmare. I really love that album. Don't know too much about their other stuff though.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:40 PM »
Totally indifferent. I think I've heard like two or three songs from them, and I seem to recall not hating/liking them, but I don't have a whole lot of desire to check them out right now.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
Lame and Portnoy playing with them is a disgrace. He may as well have joined backstreet boys

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
I was impressed by some of their songs such as Chapter Four, Almost Easy, Seize the Day... then I checked them out and liked....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »

+1
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
Avenged Sevenfold have a lot of great music and a handful of some pretty shit music, yeah sure fine. I love City of Evil, it is exactly what I'd imagine a metalcore band taking on a more classic metal/rock style would sound like and it's done fucking superbly if you ask me (except for Seize The Day, which can munch my taint). Their first album is terrible, yes. Waking the Fallen is one of the best metalcore albums I've heard to date (and normally I can't fucking stand most metalcore), their self titled has a lot of rather good songs on it AND the newest album is very enjoyable.

I never quite understood what people find annoying about M. Shadows, but to each his own.

They all have terribly shit stage names (Johnny Christ), all look like douchebags and Synester Gates is the most fuckin' overrated guitar player of the last 10 years. And this Mike Portnoy business is completely irrelevant to anything and always will be in my eyes.

Now if you excuse me, I am going to climb the nearest snowy mountain, listen to some trve kvlt black metal and lather goat blood all over my shirtless body.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:56:12 PM »
Really like them, standout metalcore band for sure. Waking the Fallen is a superb album, with I Won't See You Tonight (Pt. 1, really) being their masterpiece.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
I absolutely love this band. City Of Evil is a masterpiece.

City Of Evil
Nighmare
A7X
Waking The Fallen

The last two are equal IMO.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
Really rather indifferent towards them. Listened to a few of their songs, which while not bad, weren't great either.
To me, the most informative part about MP's stint with them was how much he seemed to be blossoming under that kinda of music and environment. Given the material he's put out since then (straight metal with AM, straight rock with the Sykes thing supposedly), I kinda wondered how much he was still connecting with the prog part of DT.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
I like this band.  I only have City of Evil (which i really like) and Nightmare, but what I've heard of the S/t and Wake the Fallen wasn't bad.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:19 PM »
I dislike them for reasons unrelated to MP. I'm actually not sure how MP could have anything to do with it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 10:36:23 PM »
I like the band. Got into them before DT. Favorite song is Save Me, favorite album is the Self Titled. Their image is terrible, and many fans are just as bad as Bieber fans though. It's kind of a big turnoff.

I liked Nightmare as an album, but I don't listen to as many of the individual songs often. The self titled is my favorite, one of my favorite albums of all time, getting regular spins.

City of Evil is OK, Waking the Fallen is great, and Seventh Trumpet sucks.

Overall, they are an OK band really. I consider the selftitled a masterpiece, and everything else has its moments.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »
I quite like them. I got City of Evil back when I was first getting into metal so it kinda holds a special place for me. Waking the Fallen is great, especially since I find most metalcore to be, well, unlistenable. Nightmare is pretty awesome as well, one of my favorites from last year. Their self-titled is their only release that I'd call weak, though that still has a few good songs on it.

And yes, their image back in the day, was awful-looking. Thankfully, they seem to have shed most of it.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
To my surprise I enjoyed their most recent album somewhat. Lukewarm on the rest of their stuff.

Offline j

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 11:16:57 PM »
Indifferent, I guess.

I like a little of what I've heard from them, but I definitely wouldn't call myself a "fan" of the band.  My opinion has nothing whatsoever to do with Portnoy.

-J

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
I like them. Saw them with MP at Uproar last year.

I absolutely HATE A7X fans though and how they started posting on EVERY fucking DT youtube video talking about how the Rev was the greatest drummer ever and then would cuss you out for disagreeing with them. And then spewing their horse shit about how you're disrespecting the Rev by disagreeing.. It's like dude... you didn't even know the fucking guy. Relax.

It's kinda funny - I liked them a lot before the Rev died. A7X and DT were like my two favorite bands. And then they announced that MP was filling in for the Rev and I thought "no way! this is too good to be true!"

..long story short..

I was right.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:30:16 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »
Double post - ignore
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
I'm a rabid A7X fan boy.

All of you who don't like them are wrong.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
Yea know what you mean LordoftheStrings. A7X fans give "haters" the most grief out of any fanbase on the planet. If I was in A7X, I would be embarrassed to have fans like that, and I really wonder if they realize that they have so many fans like that, and if so, how they feel about it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »
I like that Nightmare song but the rest of their material doesn't working for me.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
I enjoy them quite a bit.
Interestingly enough, they are one of few "popular" metal bands that I care for today, but what got me interested was that they still have some nice variety, and some more progressive songs.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
I think they play well but a lot of my memories of them are nauseatingly tainted by being around poseurs in bars who have A7X as the only metal band they like but get all "YEAHH METAALLLL!!!" when they come on the jukebox despite the fact that the remainder of their musical taste is represented by bands like 3 days grace, Staind, Nickelback, Trapt, Breaking Benjamin, and Marie Osmond.

Beyond that, I can't come within light years of saying anything positive about their singer and generally find the vibe of everything I've heard from them to be as melodramatically cheesy as most power metal but without the ability to hook me in at all the way Rhapsody, Stratovarius, or Sonata Arctica can.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 02:22:08 AM »
I enjoy them quite a bit.
Interestingly enough, they are one of few "popular" metal bands that I care for today, but what got me interested was that they still have some nice variety, and some more progressive songs.
Me too, although they are a bit hit and miss and I don't like the singers voice so much. Still a solid band and reasonable songwriters IMO.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 02:36:07 AM »
Indifferent at all. I don't like their generic metal songs and I've seen them live once at a festival where they screwed up their own songs. I don't really 'hate' them, but I have no desire to actually take some of my time to listen to their stuff. The Mike portnoy thing doesn't do anything for me, so yeah.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 03:50:41 AM »
Lame and Portnoy playing with them is a disgrace. He may as well have joined backstreet boys
Good post.

Anyway, I really like Waking The Fallen and City of Evil. Nightmare was okay, I guess but it was definitely an improvement over their self titled album.