Poll

Who's music do you prefer?

Steven Wilson
54 (55.1%)
Devin Townsend
44 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Steven Wilson vs. Devin Townsend - Who do you love more? The epic showdown.  (Read 10579 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
I don't even need to do the M&Gs. I already make it a point to get there early enough to catch him. Plus, the last one was expensive as hell, and there was no acoustic set.
Devy drew me a cat on my poster tube. That was worth at least $90 of the $120 I paid.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Gotta go with SW.

As much as I like Devy, his stuff that I really like doesn't even come close to SW's stuff that I really like. Yeah, Devy's probably the more skilled singer, but more range =/= better. It's all how you use what you have in a given song, which is one of the reasons Daniel Gildenlow, he tends to overuse his voice, to the detriment of the song at times. Not to say that Devy does this, but it's just a comparison. SW uses what he has to great effect. He can sound a bit whiny at times, but, considering his vocal style, it's surprising to me that that's only happened a few times.

As for technicality, PT/SW has never struck me as an artist that focuses on technicality. It's just not the point. I'd say the same thing for Devy. It's never been about how fast or how technical they can be, they both play for the song.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Right, but the point is that Devin CAN, but chooses not to. I'm not sure if I can say the same thing about Wilson.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Right, but the point is that Devin CAN, but chooses not to.

How does that matter at all?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
In my pseudo-objective (but not really objective because it's not possible to objectively analyze musicians) analysis, I value technical skill. Devin has shown that he has it, putting him up higher on my list of favorite musicians. Steven Wilson has not.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Well that's silly.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well that's silly.
To quote SeRoX: Well then what the fuck about you silly?

Right, but the point is that Devin CAN, but chooses not to.

How does that matter at all?
It doesn't.

I'm sure Devin COULD also add farting and diarrhea sounds to one of his songs but he doesn't because... oh wait.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
SW, without having to think about it.

Some opinions in response to what I've read so far.

1. I don't see the big deal about Devin's voice. Sorry.

2. Devin's style is extremely recognizable, to the point where I get bored with him. Often repetitive as hell. I've really tried to get into him and just haven't been able to. Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of the stuff I've heard... and I've tried listening to it many times, etc. but it just does not stick with me. I'm still open to it, though. Adami played some stuff for me that I liked.

3. As for SW's vocals being "cold", I get the opposite feeling from them actually. I love his voice and it evokes a lot of emotion from me. Also, when he breathes/sighs (like Russia on Ice or Raider II for example), that shit chills me.

4. Similarly, I don't see how SW's music in general is thought to have no emotion. Dude has made me cry my eyes out on numerous occasions and gotten me through a lot of shit because of the level of emotion in his music.

4. SW's lyrics are awesome!

5. I also disagree on the solo thing. SW's solos, although they may rarely display the mindless wanking people here seem to love so much, tend to have a shitload of soul. That is my preference when it comes to solos (which, as a side note, is why I can't fucking listen to John Petrucci anymore).

6. I don't really get the pretentious vibe from SW much, tbh. I dig his personality.

That's it for now  :D
This so much  :heart Though I do like Devin Townsend

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
There maybe more Wilson Fans but Devy fans are better.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off

Pure class, they are.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Mr. Wilson.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad.  :P