Poll

Who's music do you prefer?

Steven Wilson
54 (55.1%)
Devin Townsend
44 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Steven Wilson vs. Devin Townsend - Who do you love more? The epic showdown.  (Read 10580 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Yes, we're doing this.

Let the fanboy war commence.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:50:42 AM by Gadough »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Steven Wilson.

Still digging Devin Townsend quite a lot though!

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Wilson.

Townsendis2metal4mytaste

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
A year ago, I would have said Townsend, for sure.
2 years ago, Steven Wilson was my hero.

The option 'both are awesome' is missing, I seriously don't know what to vote for.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
The option 'both are awesome' is missing

No it's not. This way, you're forced to choose.

mwahahahahahaha

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Had to go with SW. As much as I love Devy, his pre-Ziltoid solo albums simply don't stack up against SW's stuff.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
SW.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh boy. Justin better get in here quick.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
The musician, Devy.  The music, it depends.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
The musician, Devy.  The music, it depends.

I'm not sure I follow you... ???

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Devin Townsend wins this, but not without a fairly solid fight.

Steven Wilson used to hold the coveted position of "UMH's favorite artist". Porcupine Tree was pretty close to being my favorite band, but SW was definitely the best artist in my eyes, for his variety and general sense of songwriting. Before I discovered Devin Townsend, I didn't think I was going to find anyone better.

First off, let's talk about the variety between the two. Both of these guys are absolute monster musicians, there's no denying that. It really does boil down to personal preference, but I'm going to try to look at this from an objective standpoint. Steven Wilson is/was involved in 7 major projects. Bass Communion (Ambient), Blackfield (Alt rock), Incredible Expanding Mindfuck (more ambient), No-Man (pop rock), Porcupine Tree (Delicious metal-infused progressive art rock), Storm Corrosion (Nobody really knows), and his solo project (Less metal-infused progressive art rock).

Devin Townsend is/was involved with Steve Vai (80s guitar virtuoso metal), IR8 (Thrash metal), Strapping Young Lad (Industrial Rip-Off-Your-Head-And-Tear-Out-Every-Organ-In-Your-Stupid-Body metal), his solo material (Literally everything from 90s punk to ambient drone with some folk influence). Since Steven Wilson's projects all tend to sound fairly similar and within his basic style (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing), Devin wins this round based on his ability to completely warp the sound to a point where you could fool someone into thinking it wasn't even him.

Next category: singing. Steven Wilson is a master of making a beautiful, sonorous melody. Unfortunately, that's about it. Devin Townsend has a ferocious, throat-ripping scream, a huge operatic wail, and can still manage to have a more beautiful clean voice than our friend Steve. Another mark against Steven is his live performance. Sure, he sounds great on record because of all the layering, but live there are parts that he delegates to backup singers because he can't hit them consistently. Devin, in everything post-2007 that I've seen him in, absolutely dominates every note he hits. He was very shaky early in his career, but he's finally at a point where nothing can stop him. Everything from the ear-shattering screams of Deadhead to the emotional yelling of Numbered! is executed flawlessly, night after night.

Now for another aspect of their musical abilities, guitar. Based on creative riff-writing alone, Devin wins this without even trying. One only need to hear Deconstruction once to figure that out (Maybe two or three to cut through the layers and actually hear the guitar parts). Steven does have some very creative riffs, particularly on The Incident, but they just don't stack up against something like Far Beyond Metal. Steven also rarely shreds, but his occasional solos are slightly lacking in technical prowess. Devin doesn't explore the wanky aspect of metal very often, but when he does, it's obvious he knows exactly what he's doing and could run circles around most of the major guitar players of the modern age.

Something people like to laud Steve about is his ability to write a catchy pop song. Trains, Lightbulb Sun, Shesmovedon, all brilliant. If I had to give Steven one aspect of musicianship that just barely edged out Devin, it would be that. However, songs like Kawaii, Lady Helen, and Ih-Ah! just appeal more to my ear. Plus, I think Steven Wilson would shit his pants trying to come up with a song like Planet of the Apes.

Personality: A fairly unimportant aspect when considering musicianship, but Devin wins here as well. Steve can tend to be pretty pretentious (and some of his hardcore fans share that trait). Devin, on the other hand, is the most down-to-earth guy you will ever meet.

Anyway, yeah. Devin.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Had to go with SW. As much as I love Devy, his pre-Ziltoid solo albums simply don't stack up against SW's stuff.
Eh, what?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
This was simple. Devin Townsend of course.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Only Justin would write an essay in response to this. And in under 30 minutes, too. :lol

But still, very well put!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I think Devin makes music that is more interesting and holds my attention much longer than SW's music.

However, on the strength of SW's work with Opeth and Orphaned Land, SW is one of my favorite producers and would I never complain if SW decided to produce any band I like.

I went with Devin though, and it didn't require an millisecond of thought.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
They both suck

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off

Offline juice

• om nom nom
Devy.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, DOUGH-BOY!?

Wilson. Easy pick. Love me some Townsend but... it's just no contest for my sweet little ears.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I have little to no desire to listen to anything Steven Wilson related anymore. I don't dislike it or anything, but I just never want to listen to it. Seems to happen with music I like after a period of time.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Indifferent to both. And the one song I like from each (Blackest Eyes and Earth Day) doesn't help me.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
I have little to no desire to listen to anything Steven Wilson related anymore. I don't dislike it or anything, but I just never want to listen to it. Seems to happen with music I like after a period of time.

you're ugly and dumb and just a big jerk

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I don't listen to much Wilson-related anymore either, at least not PT, but probably because I have almost 5k scrobbles and I know the albums inside and out, even the B-sides.  :P

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Eh, what?

Seriously. As much as I love stuff like Synchestra or Terria, it can't compare to most of PT's catalog.

Devin wins this round based on his ability to completely warp the sound to a point where you could fool someone into thinking it wasn't even him.

Eh, have to disagree here. Devin's music definitely has a distinct vibe to it, as diverse as it is.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bss4life15

Every single thing i have heard from Devin has been good for the short time i have listened to him, i haven't found a single song that i don't like.  Steven is a very good musician and songwriter, but he has a few bad cds in his catalogue, (The Incident)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
I have tried several times now to get into PT and SW but most of the material just seems to go nowhere. It's flat for me. His vocals are not bad, they just don't seem to grab me. PT -FOR ME- is like Pink Floyd meets Dream Theater... epic right? Eh... Pink Floyd minus the emotion (ty David Glimour) and amazing lyrics and Dream Theater minus the punch.

I know that's not going to be a popular opinion but I definitely don't say it to incite any argument... I'm still trying on PT and SW though so maybe it'll click for me.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
I have tried several times now to get into PT and SW but most of the material just seems to go nowhere. It's flat for me. His vocals are not bad, they just don't seem to grab me. PT -FOR ME- is like Pink Floyd meets Dream Theater... epic right? Eh... Pink Floyd minus the emotion (ty David Glimour) and amazing lyrics and Dream Theater minus the punch.

I know that's not going to be a popular opinion but I definitely don't say it to incite any argument... I'm still trying on PT and SW though so maybe it'll click for me.
This, and Devin Townsend's music clutches my heart in ways that a lot music doesn't :B  That sounded really stupid but Devin Townsend's music melts my heart into a stew for thoughtfully eating.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Devin.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
I rarely listen to either nowadays, but PT's catalogue is one of the most consistently good things I have ever heard in music.  I haven't had the motivation to listen through Devin's discog, even after a long time of spinning his records.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
For me Steven Wilson is a 10/10 and Devin Townsend is a 9.5/10

Almost every single PT album is excellent from beginning to end where as with DT, even though I love his music, every album has at least 1 or maybe even 2 songs I don't really like.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
Devin Townsend.  Much cooler guy in general, and I prefer his music over Steven's as well.   

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
Devin Townsend wins this, but not without a fairly solid fight.

Steven Wilson used to hold the coveted position of "UMH's favorite artist". Porcupine Tree was pretty close to being my favorite band, but SW was definitely the best artist in my eyes, for his variety and general sense of songwriting. Before I discovered Devin Townsend, I didn't think I was going to find anyone better.

First off, let's talk about the variety between the two. Both of these guys are absolute monster musicians, there's no denying that. It really does boil down to personal preference, but I'm going to try to look at this from an objective standpoint. Steven Wilson is/was involved in 7 major projects. Bass Communion (Ambient), Blackfield (Alt rock), Incredible Expanding Mindfuck (more ambient), No-Man (pop rock), Porcupine Tree (Delicious metal-infused progressive art rock), Storm Corrosion (Nobody really knows), and his solo project (Less metal-infused progressive art rock).

Devin Townsend is/was involved with Steve Vai (80s guitar virtuoso metal), IR8 (Thrash metal), Strapping Young Lad (Industrial Rip-Off-Your-Head-And-Tear-Out-Every-Organ-In-Your-Stupid-Body metal), his solo material (Literally everything from 90s punk to ambient drone with some folk influence). Since Steven Wilson's projects all tend to sound fairly similar and within his basic style (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing), Devin wins this round based on his ability to completely warp the sound to a point where you could fool someone into thinking it wasn't even him.

Next category: singing. Steven Wilson is a master of making a beautiful, sonorous melody. Unfortunately, that's about it. Devin Townsend has a ferocious, throat-ripping scream, a huge operatic wail, and can still manage to have a more beautiful clean voice than our friend Steve. Another mark against Steven is his live performance. Sure, he sounds great on record because of all the layering, but live there are parts that he delegates to backup singers because he can't hit them consistently. Devin, in everything post-2007 that I've seen him in, absolutely dominates every note he hits. He was very shaky early in his career, but he's finally at a point where nothing can stop him. Everything from the ear-shattering screams of Deadhead to the emotional yelling of Numbered! is executed flawlessly, night after night.

Now for another aspect of their musical abilities, guitar. Based on creative riff-writing alone, Devin wins this without even trying. One only need to hear Deconstruction once to figure that out (Maybe two or three to cut through the layers and actually hear the guitar parts). Steven does have some very creative riffs, particularly on The Incident, but they just don't stack up against something like Far Beyond Metal. Steven also rarely shreds, but his occasional solos are slightly lacking in technical prowess. Devin doesn't explore the wanky aspect of metal very often, but when he does, it's obvious he knows exactly what he's doing and could run circles around most of the major guitar players of the modern age.

Something people like to laud Steve about is his ability to write a catchy pop song. Trains, Lightbulb Sun, Shesmovedon, all brilliant. If I had to give Steven one aspect of musicianship that just barely edged out Devin, it would be that. However, songs like Kawaii, Lady Helen, and Ih-Ah! just appeal more to my ear. Plus, I think Steven Wilson would shit his pants trying to come up with a song like Planet of the Apes.

Personality: A fairly unimportant aspect when considering musicianship, but Devin wins here as well. Steve can tend to be pretty pretentious (and some of his hardcore fans share that trait). Devin, on the other hand, is the most down-to-earth guy you will ever meet.

Anyway, yeah. Devin.
Yeah all of this

But why can't we all just get along? A collaboration between the two could probably be really epic, though I have no idea what it would end up sounding like.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Justin, a few problems with your justification:

1. You can't compare them objectively.  I thought we established you can't talk about music that way :P
2. In trying to compare them objectively, you say that Devy's ability to shred puts him above SW in that category.  Now I understand that's important to you but you can't say that criteria is necessary for determining whether an artist is objectively better than the other.  Not to mention that you can't objectively judge creative riff writing either.  :lol

But enough of that before we get another subjectivity vs. objectivity thread.

Now as for differences of OPINION, I'd say that Devy's style is actually quite recognizable throughout his projects.  With the exception of Punky Bruster, Devlab/Hummer, Ki, and Ghost.  There are just a lot of musical tricks he uses that show up in almost everything he does.  I don't think he's that much more versatile compared to SW.  SW's style is mostly seen in PT, BF, and his solo work, but No Man, Bass Communion, and IEM are all completely out there for him, IMO. 

Now for my actual vote instead of responding to UMH.  :P  For me, Devin gives me more "fun" music to listen to with a few songs that really get me emotionally.  Now there's nothing wrong with fun music.  Bad Devil and Addicted are two of my favorite songs by him, but "Deadhead" is my favorite.  SYL also sorta gets me emotionally, but its mostly when I want to listen to heavy music to scream at something or for fun.  But I still don't really connect with it, if that makes sense.  I don't have any unbreakable bonds with any SYL songs. 

The more ways an artist can really connect with me emotionally, the better.  Steven Wilson does that consistently with most of the songs he writes.  So, while both are absolute amazing musicians, Steven Wilson gets my vote.

I do like Devin more as a singer though.  When I first heard Addicted it reminded me of hearing James LaBrie for the first time.  That same sense of "holy shit this guy is awesome!"