Author Topic: Just looking for some insight  (Read 655 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Just looking for some insight
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »
So, long story short - my mom needed to take a job in Texas to pay bills. I'm still at home with my parents until May when I get married.

I'm the youngest of four boys, and my three older brothers are moved out and married already. I've said in another thread that my brothers are assholes. They are mad at her for leaving. Why? I think it's because they take advantage of my parents. My dad doesn't buy into it, but she s a sucker for it.

Alright, beside the point. I'm starting to get sad. Of my brothers, none of them or their wives included my mom in the wedding plans. Her being a girl, without a girl, I can imagine that hurt. Courtney and I have been so thankful for my mom being here and providing us with insight and what not. We want to include her in our plans. Courtney is planning her bridal shower around a time she comes back to visit.

I can't help but feel like a... mamas boy, for feeling sad about her leaving. But, we live in Michigan and she's moving to Texas. I've spent 21 years in the same house and now it just feels so weird. I totally understand why she's moving and I'm glad she is. The kind of money she's going to make will enable her to come back and visit for holidays and emergencies and what not.

I guess I'm just trying to see if it's normal to feel like this. I feel bad because she's going to be alone down there. She's not taking our dogs at first. I convinced her to get an iPhone 4 for FaceTime.

Thanks for reading. If you don't have anything to say, just keep my parents in your thoughts and prayers while they make the 20 some hour drivez

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Just looking for some insight
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
I'm the youngest of five boys, and by nature I am a Mamma's boy.  I would think there was something wrong with you if you didn't feel that way about your mom moving many states away.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
I think it is absolutely normal to feel the way you feel, I would as well. Although I am the oldest of three so our dynamics are a bit different...I grew up extremely close to my mother being that she had me when she was sixteen. We were always close and remain that way.
 It's tough to understand the motivation behind why none of your brothers included your mom in thier weddings..although having went through a wedding and having added the in laws...I understand that when you are introducing outside forces into a situation that you may or may not have any control over, well...things can get dicey. I think that with you planning to include her that will mean it is something special that only you and your mother will share and something your brothers missed out on.
 I know the distance that will be between you guys in the future will be difficult, but at least there is technology out there now via Skype or what not that you can literally see your mom at anytime....imagine if this were 30 years ago? I wish you the best of luck and hope that your wedding goes well and that your mothers role is very special and strengthens your relationship.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:43:17 AM »
I'm the oldest of three.  I've known you for a few years now, snapple, and you're a good man.  Your mother is making a difficult decision that she needs to make, just be there for her as much as you can (I know you already are) and hit me up on FB if you need to talk, bro.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:54:29 AM »
I would think there was something wrong with you if you didn't feel that way about your mom moving many states away.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:36:29 AM »
To those who posted, thank you very much. It's been a very smooth transition thusfar. I've been really able to focus on myself, which Courtney agreed that I really need(ed) this(that). A few more days to myself before my dad gets back home.

I woke up and texted Courtney from work "What the fuck am I doing with my life?" and she said "When you figure it out, you'll be great at whatever it is and I'll support you in whatever it is".

So thank you guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
So, my mom came back for Christmas and we were able to spend a lot of quality time together. She originally was going to come back for the college's spring break (mid-March) but now she is saying there is a strong chance she won't be. I understand why, but it really sucks. That would mean I wouldn't be able to see her again until my wedding in the last week of May. I wanted her to be with me and help me pick out my suit and stuff like that. She didn't get a chance to do that with my brothers, and I sincerely wanted her to with me.

I just feel so confused. Why am i this upset and sad? I'm getting married. I won't be with my mom then. But then I think that I am home now, and my responsibilities are still to m house. Yes, being with Courtney is what I want. I have a very good relationship with my parents that this all just sucks.