Author Topic: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Final results, PLUS AWARDS CEREMONY)  (Read 25238 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Final results, PLUS AWARDS CEREMONY)
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
RESULTS – PLAYOFF
A very cool mix of music here, and you both went for quite different approaches. Results presented of each song individually, mixed up between you both:

Gorille
Röyksopp – Happy Up Here – 7/10
What a fun, groovy song! Nothing special or goundbreaking, but the beat and funky synth bass stuff really get me bopping along. I’ve never been especially inclined to check Röyksopp out properly before but maybe that should change as I dug this quite a bit.

Sigz
Floex – Veronika’s Dream – 9/10
This is such an interesting and engaging song. Great use of acoustic instruments with electronic sounds and textures – I honestly don’t really know how to define this. It’s quite ambient, but pretty busy as well, and makes for such a good listen. I’m going to have to give this guy a listen!

Gorille
The Prescription – Watch the giants fall – 6/10
This is a very enjoyable bit of modern hard rock – they seem to be a very unknown band as they don’t even show up on RYM. It’s a good song but probably the least interesting out of the 6 songs here, as there’s not really much to it – a fun riff and some nice playing, but not a lot else really.

Sigz
Andy Moor & Adam White pres. Whiteroom – The White Room – 7/10
This is some pretty cool trance, I dig electronic music but have never been particularly into the more straightforward trance stuff, as it often gets quite repetitive I find. But this has a good amount of variety and a really nice atmosphere throughout, and after a couple of listens I found myself really getting into it. A little long maybe, but otherwise very nice!

Gorille
Her Name is Calla – Pour More Oil – 10/10
This is an absolutely stunning song! It’s pretty much the epitome of a song building up to a climax – there’s barely any sound in the first half minute but it just gets bigger and bigger and by the end had me totally and utterly hooked. Reminds me a little bit of The Antlers, but it builds more than anything they’ve done! 

Sigz
Battle of Mice – At the Base of the Giant’s Throat – 8/10
Jesus this song is intense. Easily one of the most fiercely upsetting songs I’ve ever heard, and from your explanation of the real situation going on in the band at the time, the ending is genuinely uncomfortable to listen to, which did detract from it just a little. That said, it’s powerful and angry and really very interesting in the way it changes and builds.

AND FINALLY – how much variety there was:

Sigz – 9/10
Really good mix of moods here, I held back from 10/10 simply because two of the songs had quite a big electronic element, but the vibe in each song was completely different, ranging from ambient through fun right up to very, very intense.

Gorille – 8/10
Very good variety as well, three very different musical styles, but not quite as much variety in tone as Ian had. The Röyksopp and Prescription songs were both fairly fun and energetic.

-----------------------------------
And so the final scores:
Sigz 33
Gorille 31
-----------------------------------

It was close, but Ian takes the win! You both sent so much great music throughout the roulette though, so thank you for taking part!

AWARDS CEREMONY

Most efficient:
Gorille – always sent songs first, often almost immediately!

Music I’ve become most obsessed by:
A tie between Caravan Palace (Sigz) and Moon Safari (LieLow)

Most inconsistent:
Kingshmegland – for his ability to come top one round and then bottom the very next.

Most prog:
A tie between DTVT and Ytse

Best comeback:
A tie between Jingle and Sigz, both of which happened in the last round.

Most depressing:
Raven, although Sigz came close with that Battle of Mice song in the final.

Most best:
Sigz, for actually winning the damn thing!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
Most inconsistent, that's what my wife says about how I clean around the house! :lol

Has a blast.  Thanks for letting me play.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Definitely check out Zorya by Floex, it was one of my favorites of this year!

Battle of Mice – At the Base of the Giant’s Throat – 8/10
Jesus this song is intense. Easily one of the most fiercely upsetting songs I’ve ever heard, and from your explanation of the real situation going on in the band at the time, the ending is genuinely uncomfortable to listen to, which did detract from it just a little. That said, it’s powerful and angry and really very interesting in the way it changes and builds.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how you'd take it, but glad you liked it in some way at least :lol Pesonally I love the ending, even if it is horrifying as fuck to listen to.

But great roullette rich, and gg gorille, you sexy beasts :heart
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »
Yeah on my first listen I listened to the whole ending, but on subsequent listens I honestly couldn't sit through the whole thing and ended up chickening out early. Some of the music earlier on is fantastic though, and even with the ending, the fact that it evokes such an intense emotion in me is no bad thing.

Glad you enjoyed the roulette, and yeah I'll definitely check out the Floex album!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
I won most depressing, and in the end, that's what truly matters.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
D':

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2012, 05:20:06 PM »
Awesome to see both Floex and Her Name is Calla score very highly.