Author Topic: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Final results, PLUS AWARDS CEREMONY)  (Read 25270 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Round 5 results, Round 6 up)
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
Mod on mod crime.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Round 6 results, Final Round up)
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
RESULTS – ROUND 6: Mini-epic
Strong round as always, maybe not as epic as I was expecting, but lots of good music!

6 points: King
This Day & Age – More of a Climb, Less of a Walk
I really, really like this song, somewhat reminds me of a cross between Thrice and Foo Fighters. Nice vibe, good melodies and generally a really good sound! On first listen I wasn’t really getting an “epic” feel from it but actually now I know it better I think it is a pretty big song, and the instrumental bit at the end is amazing. Great submission!

5 points: Sigz
Rosetta – Ayil
This is a pretty intense song, particularly vocally, but it has such a huge sound! I wasn’t sure how much it was my thing on first listen, but it really grew on me a lot. I don’t have anything else to say really, there’s not a lot to this song, I just know I dug it and want to check out more.

4 points: Gorille
Sweet Trip – To All the Dancers of the World, a Round Form of Fantasy
I think I checked out a couple of Sweet Trip tracks a little while ago but wasn’t really feeling it, so I can only assume I just wasn’t in the right mood because this is really cool stuff. Not at all what I was expecting from an epic round, but I can definitely see why you submitted it, as the song really builds up despite its laid back, ambient feel, and the part around 3:45 is just great when listening on headphones with the volume cranked up!

4 points: LieLow
Big Big Train – Last Train
Really nice bit of prog rock this, and again interesting to get a song that mostly has such a laid back vibe in this round, but it has some nice peaks and troughs in the mood, and has a bigger sound in the instrumental that really gives it a bit more energy. They’re not a band I really know anything about, so I’m going to have to check them out now because I really like this song.

3 points: Jingle
Nikki Yanofsky – I Believe
Have to say, when I first listened to this song, I was worried I was going to find it horribly cheesy, because the way it starts is… well, really quite cheesy. But actually I was pleasantly surprised when the song gets going because it’s actually a really nice pop song. As with some of the other submissions, it’s not really what I was thinking of when I asked for epic, but I can see why you sent it, because it gets very grandiose later on in the song. I don’t really follow Winter Olympics at all (I’m British, we suck at them) but I can imagine this song being the perfect opener!

3 points: DTVT
Turisas – To Holmgard and Beyond
I was very sceptical about this song at first, because it struck me as that kind of “battle metal” that I can’t really take seriously. But actually, once I got over that and just took it for what it is – some fun, energetic symphonic metal, I started to enjoy it quite a bit. I still can’t see it being the sort of thing I’d listen to that often, but it’s definitely enjoyable, has a really big sound, and a very, VERY catchy chorus!

2 points: Raven
Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble Of Shadows – Hades “Pluton”
I have very mixed feelings towards this song – I do actually dig it, but I dunno, something doesn’t really sit that well for me. I think there are just some bits of it that I’m not so keen on. That said, it’s such an unusual and intriguing style, dark and quirky and really kinda cool, and there was enough good stuff that I really want to give a full album a listen. So it hasn’t scored very well this round, but I’m not going to judge the artists until I’ve listened to more of their stuff and at least made an attempt to get my head round it. :lol

1 point: Ytse
Cloudscape – Ritual of the Blade
I feel kinda bad for giving this song only 1 point, as it has some quite nice ideas in it, but I do feel it’s a step below everything as I just found it quite bland. Not bad by any means, but there was just nothing in it that made me think I might want to check out more by these guys – everything sounded like I’d heard it all before many many times. Plus, I couldn’t get past the fact that the start of the chorus sounds like “REACHAROUND”. :P Sorry dude.

The Scores
Raven: 6 + 3 + 5 + 8 + 2 + 2 = 26
Gorille: 5 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 4 = 24
LLTWM: 3 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 5 + 4 = 24
Sigz: 2 + 5 + 5 – 4 + 6 + 5 = 19
Ytse: 4 + 1 + 3 + 6 + 2 + 1 = 17
King: 3 + 4 + 2 – 2 + 4 + 6 = 17
DTVT: 4 + 2 + 2 + 0 + 3 + 3 = 14
Jingle: 2 + 3 + 3 – 6 + 4 + 3 = 9

ROUND 7: Grand Finale – The opposite of my first round, this time send me something that is the last track of an album! Style is completely open, just send me any closing song that you think I’ll like.

WAGER – as with the middle round, the wager is back to allow everyone a chance to shift their place in the rankings! Once again scoring will be 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1, -2 and -3, and the wager is half, normal or double points. ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
No worries Rich not for everyone.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
Man, if it wasn't for the steaming turd I laid in the joke round, I wouldn't be doing too bad.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
Rich, I hope you check out the rest of that album.  It is a fantastic album.  I wished they stayed together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
Now...if you ranked the songs by epicness, and not what you like; mine would have won hands down, right?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
Now...if you ranked the songs by epicness, and not what you like; mine would have won hands down, right?
I took both aspects into account. But yeah, yours was pretty epic. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
sent.  Not their best song, but a cool one and hopefully it will wet your appitite for some more.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2011, 12:32:49 AM »
Don't forget wagers, people!

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: December 21, 2011, 04:36:44 PM »
Took a BIG chance!!  Sent!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 21, 2011, 07:00:15 PM »
Mine is in too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2011, 03:54:10 AM »
sent.  Not their best song, but a cool one and hopefully it will wet your appitite for some more.
-1 point for misspelling "whet".

:neverusethis:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2011, 05:35:48 AM »
as with the judging in this roulette and nick's I'm going to take my time submitting...patience people.
We'll get there.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: December 23, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
Sent.

Also while checking your RYM to see if you heard what I sent, glad to see you rated [Blomljud] that highly. :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2011, 04:05:52 AM »
Also while checking your RYM to see if you heard what I sent, glad to see you rated [Blomljud] that highly. :)
Yeah man, it's such a nice album! :D I'm going to check out their others as well.

However, the song you sent for this round was already sent by someone else I'm afraid! Sent another please. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #191 on: December 27, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
Curses, LLTWM forgot to give me his wager and I hadn't noticed until I was starting my writeups. I'll be ready to post results as soon as he gives it to me.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: December 27, 2011, 03:45:43 PM »
RATS!!! I was looking forward to it.  Oh well, patience is a virtue.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #193 on: December 27, 2011, 03:51:40 PM »
Sorry, I've been listening to the songs when I've had time over the last couple of times, but forgot to check that everyone had given me their wagers. :facepalm:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: December 27, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »
You can always post the write-ups but wait a bit for the points?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Round 7 results, PLAYOFF TIME)
« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
You can always post the write-ups but wait a bit for the points?
If I did that it could have influenced how much he wanted to wager. :P However he replied very promptly to my PM, so it's no longer an issue! I would have assumed double, but shockingly not everyone wagered double this time. :o

RESULTS – ROUND 7: Grand Finale
Ok, well, I’m almost but not quite sorry to say that this was probably the strongest round yet, so I’m very, very impressed! I dug every song quite a lot, and so those that scored low, it’s really not because it wasn’t a good submission, merely that I had to choose a ranking and that’s where the song ended up. Where songs have ranked low, I’ve tried to explain why.

Sigz
4 points – wagered double – 8 points
Gregor Samsa – Lessening
This song starts quite slow and a little nothingy, but it really builds in such a majestic way, as only the best post-rock bands can do. It’s also really interesting hearing music that I’d definitely describe as post-rock, but with vocals in a real language (I’m look at you Sigur Ros). Really gorgeous, and the way it ends is so beautiful, I can imagine it being an amazing closing to the album, which I’m definitely going to have to listen to now!

Gorille
3 points – wagered double – 6 points
Frank Turner – Glory Hallelujah
LieLow tried to send this song as well but you got there first, and I can see why you both tried to send it, because it’s really damn catchy! I don’t really know much about Frank Turner, but this song is an interesting folk-punk hybrid with a slightly bluesy edge, that somehow works to create something thoroughly enjoyable and singalongable. Great stuff!

Jingle
2 points – wagered double – 4 points
Gowan – A Criminal Mind
When I listen to this song, part of me insists that I should be finding it overly cheesy and “80s”. But for some reason that I can’t explain, the rest of me really likes the whole vibe of it! The start of the song in particular is a great piano melody. Only slight complaint is that the song never seems to really reach a climax, but that’s a minor thing and probably more due to the production than anything else. Still a really nice song.

LLTWM
1 point – wagered double – 2 points
Gentle Giant – In a Glass House
Some full-on 70s prog here, and I’ve heard of these guys a lot but for some reason never bothered to actually explore their music at all. This is a pretty cool song; some of the stuff earlier on the song is a little sporadic, but it seems to find a groove fairly quickly, and there’s an abundance of neat ideas throughout. And you’re totally right about the riff coming soon after the 4 minute mark, very cool stuff!

Raven
0 points – wagered double – 0 points
Loreena McKennitt – Prospero’s Speech
Very unexpected style for a song roulette, but a very nice song nonetheless! She has a gorgeous classical voice with a slight celtic lilt to it, and the music is very pleasant and creates a fantastic atmosphere. The only slight downside for me is that it’s quite short and doesn’t really go anywhere – she introduces a nice theme, sings it a couple of times, and then that’s it. I really like the style a lot, I just wish there were more of it! I think I’ll have to give an album a listen.

DTVT
-1 point – wagered double – -2 points
Enslaved – Heir to the Cosmic Seed
Got to say, this was a cool song. I’ve heard a bit about Enslaved over the years, but never really been that interested by what I’ve heard to check them out. I was pleasantly surprised though, this song has a great atmosphere to it, I don’t know how the band are usually categorised, but this struck me as having a lot in common with a lot of doom metal – somewhat heavy but quite melancholic as well, at least in the first half or so of the song. Builds up nicely towards the end though. However it suffers from the same problem as some of the other songs this round – lack of any real climax or focus. It’s good stuff though, definitely enough to make me want to check them out now.

Ytse
-2 points – wagered half – -1 point
Dreamscape – You Don’t Know Me
Once again this was a pretty cool song, and I want to reiterate that this coming so low does not mean I didn’t dig it a fair bit, the round was just too strong. It’s a nice bit of straightforward prog metal with plenty of nice ideas and some good melodies. I guess the reason it doesn’t grab me as much as the songs that came above it is that it just seems so familiar – they really do have a DT-lite thing going on. So although it’s nice music, nothing really stood out to me. The album that song is from is on Spotify though, so I’ll probably give it a listen at some point. Interesting that you chose to not take a risk and are the only person to have wagered less than double, but although I like the song, it turns out that was the right call!

King
-3 points – wagered double – -6 points
World Trade – Open the Door
As with the last few songs, I can’t really find anything in particular to fault with this song, it’s a nice enough bit of classic rock with a slightly unusual edge. Quite enjoyable in fact, and with a nice vibe to it. It just had to end up down the bottom here because there was nothing that really grabbed me much, or made me want to check out more by the band. Shame really, after you kicked ass in the last round! :lol

The Scores
Gorille: 5 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 1 + 4 + 6 = 30
Sigz: 2 + 5 + 5 – 4 + 6 + 5 + 8 = 27
---------------------------------------
Raven: 6 + 3 + 5 + 8 + 2 + 2 + 0 = 26
LLTWM: 3 + 4 + 6 + 2 + 5 + 4 + 2 = 26
Ytse: 4 + 1 + 3 + 6 + 2 + 1 – 1 = 16
Jingle: 2 + 3 + 3 – 6 + 4 + 3 + 4 = 13
DTVT: 4 + 2 + 2 + 0 + 3 + 3 – 2 = 12
King: 3 + 4 + 2 – 2 + 4 + 6 – 6 = 11

Well, well, well, things ended up very close both at the top and at the bottom. Spectacular comebacks from both Chad (climbing two places having been bottom for so long) and Ian (leaping up into the top two and therefore into the playoff)! Thanks so much to everyone for playing, every one of you introduced me to something that I want to check out more, which is the main reason I wanted to do another roulette, so cheers! :D

PLAYOFF

GORILLE vs SIGZ
For this final, I want you both to send me THREE songs each. Genre is completely open, but I want the three songs to cover as broad a spectrum of mood and style as possible (I don’t mean each song should cover lots of styles, I mean the three should be as different to each other as possible). If you want and you think it’s suitable, you are allowed to send more than one song by the same artist.

I shall choose a winner based on both how much I like the music AND how different the songs are to each other.

GO!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:05:36 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #196 on: December 27, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
hmmmmmmmm
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: December 27, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
Dammit Marc, I coulda had 6 points. :(

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: December 27, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #200 on: December 27, 2011, 04:26:46 PM »
I do feel bad for you two coming so close, but them's the breaks. You both introduced me to a lot of cool stuff though, so I'm happy. :D

hmmmmmmmm
Looks like things are hotting up already...

Although take your time to have a think about it, there's no rush.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 27, 2011, 04:28:35 PM »
The fogey's got schooled!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #202 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:11 PM »
I think that's incidental - to be honest the guys in the top half are just the people who simply have the most similar tastes to me, which probably makes it easier to pick songs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
Sent! :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I think that's incidental - to be honest the guys in the top half are just the people who simply have the most similar tastes to me, which probably makes it easier to pick songs.
Or you hate old people. :lol

Had a blast and I love to listen to everybody's songs.  Thanks for letting me play.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2011, 05:48:58 PM »
Or you hate old people. :lol

Had a blast and I love to listen to everybody's songs.  Thanks for letting me play.

Ditto what King said.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2011, 06:41:13 PM »
Good times glad you enjoyed

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »
D:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »
:neverusethis:

Soon, my pretties...

Awesome music by the way.

I be am boner inducing.