Author Topic: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Final results, PLUS AWARDS CEREMONY)  (Read 25267 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
ARIICH’S ROULETTE OF WONDER, PART II

We’re back, bitches! Competition should be fierce this time:

Gorille
LLTWM
DTVT
Ytse
Ravenbuel
jingle
kingshmeg
Sigzypoo

I haven’t yet decided how many rounds I’ll do, it depends how fast things go and how many ideas I come up with. But it’ll be in the region of 6-8 rounds, and if it’s on the lower end then I’ll do some kind of playoff/final, just to add a fun bit of competition in! I would like to keep this roulette a bit more prompt than the last one I did (which was usually my fault, admittedly) but I know I didn’t send a reminder as I didn’t realise I was up so soon, so a bit of a delay on this first round will be forgiven.

The themes will mostly be based around moods, rather than specific styles or anything too restrictive. Hopefully this will keep things somewhat open and allow people to send things that they think I'll like, rather than struggling to find something that happens to fit an arbitrary theme.

What you can send me:

Rather than use last.fm (which is not really suitable for me as lots of stuff I listen to isn’t in there, and it’s not really indicative of how much I like something), I use RYM. My account is here: https://rateyourmusic.com/~ariich

[In case you’re not familiar with RYM, here’s how to use it for this: scroll down to the Music section of my profile, and you can check out the Ratings button to see the list of my 5 star albums, 4.5 star albums, and so on. It also makes things easy to see if I am familiar with a band or artist, as at the top of the Music section there is a “Search ariich's music for” field, so you can check whether I have rated an artist (if not, it will run the search but there will be no results).]

I will allow submissions of any band or artist I have never rated an album by with more than 3 stars, as long as the song sent is not on an album I have rated. Obviously artists I’m not at all familiar with are best, but sometimes I hear some music that I’m not that keen on but the artist has other music that I might love. Use this however you like, but obviously the more albums I’ve rated lower by an artist (or indeed the more similar a song is to the album I’ve rated lower) the less likely I am to like the other song by them.

If the same artist is sent by more than one person in the same round, that’s fine. Once an artist has been submitted, they cannot be sent again if they scored 3 or more points (reasons same as above). This may seem weird, but Mason used this to very good effect in my first roulette.

There is no limit on song length, though obviously I will be judging from only a few listens, so if a song is particularly long or meandering, that could be quite risky.

How to submit:

My main preference for submissions is via Spotify links, but if you don’t use Spotify (or the song is not on there) then submissions can also be mp3s or, failing that, Grooveshark. Absolute last resort can be Youtube, but I’d prefer not (unless there’s a particularly significant promo vid accompanying).

Links should be via PM, mp3s via email (to my DTF username @gmail.com).

How I will score:

The top song each round will receive 6 points. The rest of the songs will score anything from 1-5, but there will only ever by a maximum of two songs receiving the same number of points to ensure there is a spread. I.e. the highest quality round will see scores of 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, and the worst will see 6, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1.

My tastes:

I have very eclectic tastes, in all honesty. I am extremely open-minded and have no bias when it comes to genre or style. I am more familiar with various rock and metal genres than any other simply because of my listening habits as a teenager, but even within those there is a ton of stuff I’ve never checked out. So just send me anything you think I’d like based either on my RYM ratings, or anything else you know about me, or even simply because you yourself love it. It’s not a requirement, but in your submissions if you could include an explanation of what's so good about the song, I can listen out for it.

ROUND 1: Opening Songs – I love a good start to an album, so send me any song that opens an album. If there is an intro track that leads into the first full song, it is fine to send both as one submission. Other than that, no restrictions on style, etc. Go!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:56:16 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »
I will work on a song tonight!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »
I will work on a song tonight!!!!

Me too.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
No spotify in Canada, and given my travel schedule, it will have to be grooveshark links if you don't mind.

You'll have something in your inbox when you wake.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:18:20 PM »
No problem at all, any of my top 3 preferences (spotify, mp3 and grooveshark) are completely fine.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 02:21:17 PM »
I'll be taking the "fuck you I'll send what I want" approach this time around.

First round submission: a 40 minute Merzbow song.

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
Quick question... if track 1 is like a 60 second intro song (a la  Angra/Temple of Shadows), would it be ok to send track 2?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
I get the impression that is ok, jingle.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
Sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 03:27:35 PM »
Quick question... if track 1 is like a 60 second intro song (a la  Angra/Temple of Shadows), would it be ok to send track 2?
I get the impression that is ok, jingle.
Yeah I probably could have worded it more clearly - an intro track doesn't need to segue directly into the second track, really I meant if there is a separate intro track, then send both that and the first full song together. I'd like to experience how the album kicks off. :)

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »
Sent, although I probably pulled the trigger a little early and should have went more thoroughly through my collection, although based on some of his ratings I think I'll be ok.

ADDON: Yeah, I'm finding more things I wish I would have sent.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »
Sent.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:01 PM »
OH YEAH!!  SENT!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 03:57:25 PM »
ADDON: Yeah, I'm finding more things I wish I would have sent.
:lol I always do that in roulettes. I haven't got round to hearing yours yet, so you're welcome to replace it if you want to, but of course that runs the risk of doing less well than you might have done. Like I said, I haven't heard the song yet, so it's entirely up to you. Other songs you're finding might be usable later on, remember.

I should also add to what I said in the OP that after this first round, the themes for this roulette will be mostly based around moods, rather than specific styles or anything else too restrictive. In fact, I think I'll add something about that to my OP.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:08:00 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »
What about time limits?  That song I sent you is over 11 minutes long.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 04:17:29 PM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 11:17:41 PM »
Scent.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 08:01:21 AM »
I guess it will be MP3's then.
Will review the RYM, and look at getting a submission out in the next day or two.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 09:34:06 AM »
:tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
THERE BETTER BE AN UPDATE TODAY

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
I haven't got all the songs in yet, just waiting on Ytse. As I said, I'm being quite forgiving for this first round as I didn't give you guys any advance notice!

Really digging all the songs I've got so far, quite an eclectic mix.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »
You have an eclectic taste!  So it works well.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 05:40:30 AM »
Sorry....sorry.
busy busy.

Tonight....3-4 eastern time...a song shall be sented.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
Sent.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
Great, I've been listening to the songs this evening including yours as well now Ytse, so expect results later tonight.

Also, I've decided on round themes so will be doing 7 rounds, with the top 2 after this going to a final playoff with a twist. I haven't decided what the twist will be yet though...

EDIT: Oh one more thing I want to add in general - as most of the rounds have a theme, I will be taking both how much I like the song and also how well I feel it fits the theme into account when ranking them.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »

EDIT: Oh one more thing I want to add in general - as most of the rounds have a theme, I will be taking both how much I like the song and also how well I feel it fits the theme into account when ranking them.

This round is easy... Either it was the opening track or it wasn't.  Unless someone tried to slip one past you.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
:lol Yeah that doesn't apply to this first round, which is why I forgot to mention it originally.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's roulette of wonder, part II (Round 1 results, Round 2 up)
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 04:04:13 PM »
RESULTS – ROUND 1: Opening Songs
So this round highlighted something very important. If you are sending Grooveshark links, MAKE SURE IT IS THE RIGHT SONG. Or just scrap Grooveshark entirely. :P The song Marc sent by Everything Everything was incorrectly tagged in Grooveshark and I only discovered the error when I synced up the song on Spotify to my iPod so I could listen to some of the songs at work. As it happens, I enjoyed the actual song a lot more. This is just one of the many reasons I much prefer Spotify or mp3, as (1) this error is much less likely, and (2) I can upload/sync the songs to my iPod and listen out and about. Doing this will make result updates much quicker from me.

Anyway, on with the results! Very strong round, I enjoy all the songs quite a bit, but obviously there has to be winners and losers…

6 points: Ravenheart
Jill Tracy – Evil Night Together
I really adore the dark jazzy vibe here. As soon as the first phrase played, I had a feeling I was going to like where it was going, and the song did not disappoint. On very first listen I wasn’t entire sold on her voice, but on subsequent listens I concluded that it really is perfect for the song.

5 points: Gorille
Everything Everything – My Kz Ur Bf
As I said, you’re lucky I discovered that the link you said was wrong, because I really like this song! My music collection is definitely low on synth pop – not that I have anything against it at all (or indeed any genre), I just haven’t often heard much that I’ve found particularly interesting. But this song definitely has something a little different and unusual about it, rhythmically and harmonically, and it works so well! And that chorus is really very catchy. Great stuff!

4 points: DTVT
Arch/Matheos – Neurotically Wired
Wasn’t entirely sure about this song at first but I think it’s just because it took a couple of listens to get used to Jon Arch’s unusual voice again. But once that settled in, the song struck me as an interesting blend of old and new Fates Warning, and the “Rise higher” chorus is particularly excellent, such an interesting tune. I dig the song a lot overall, but I decided to not award 5 points because I do find the song drags a little – I’m not sure there’s enough variety in what’s going on to really justify the length, and I do find myself tuning out a bit towards the end.

4 points: Ytse
Jorn – Young Forever
You’re right about this song opening the album with a kick in the balls, such a rocking riff! I’ve only heard one of Jorn Lande’s solo albums and I wasn’t hugely impressed by it, but I enjoyed this considerably more than anything I heard on that. Like I said, rocking riff, and I always love his voice. This song also demonstrates the quality of his vocal melodies, which is one of the things I thought was really lacking on the album I heard. Looks like his other solo stuff will be worth a listen after all!

3 points: King
Marc Broussard - Home
It’s pretty amazing that this song was recorded when Broussard was only 22, because he definitely does not sound that young. If you hadn’t told me that and I had to guess, I’d have said he was a middle-aged blues singer. I’m sure it must be down to excessive smoking or something! Anyway, he has a great voice, much more mature than his years, and the song is really catchy, especially the vocal harmonies in the chorus. Unfortunately this was a strong round and the song just didn’t grab me as much as the ones above it.

3 points: LLTWM
Boards of Canada – Ready Let’s Go/Music is Math
Not sure how I’d describe this, but I know I like it. Maybe ambient electro? The intro track sets an interesting mood, and then I love the vibe of the first full track. Very chilled out, almost serene despite the electronic drums that come in. Hard to describe, as I said, but it’s a really intriguing style that draws me in. Only slight downside is that the track doesn’t really feel like it goes anywhere. Then again, that might be the point. I’m definitely going to give the full album a listen though, so as an opening it’s certainly doing something right!

2 points: Sigz
Circle Takes the Square – Intro/Same Shade as Concrete
MY BRAIN, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO IT?! I love the atmospheric intro, but then shit gets crazy. This was definitely a song that needed repeat listens, because there’s just so much going on. I actually enjoy it quite a bit, and will be checking out the album, but I think at times (such as the start of SSAC) it just gets a bit too manic for my brain. I have a similar problem with earlier Unexpect, and part of why I like their newest so much is that the ideas were more refined and the craziness was toned down. As this was their debut, I feel like Circle could be a similar case.

2 points: Jingle
Crosby, Stills & Nash – Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
This is a nice song, some lovely vocal harmonies reminiscent of the Beatles or maybe Simon & Garfunkel. Can’t really find much else to say about this song, as there isn’t really a great deal going on, and I think that’s part of why it didn’t grab me that much. I don’t dislike it at all, far from it, but there wasn’t really anything that I found particularly exciting either. That said, I can’t deny that I do find the very last section really catchy. :lol

The Scores
Raven: 6
Gorille: 5
DTVT: 4
Ytse: 4
King: 3
LLTWM: 3
Sigz: 2
Jingle: 2

ROUND 2: Sad – One of the things I love in music is how it can sometimes really make you feel emotional, whether it’s through the lyrics or the music itself (or often a combination of the two). So for this sound, send me something that you feel evokes a feeling of sadness. I EXPECT TEARS!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
Glad you liked it! :tup

Sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »
Bloody hell you're quick. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2011, 04:14:19 PM »
ROUND 2: Sad

WAY TO DESCRIBE HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW RICH

:sadpanda:

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »
 :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
ROUND 2: Sad

WAY TO DESCRIBE HOW I FEEL RIGHT NOW RICH

:sadpanda:
WELL THIS ROUND SHOULD BE PERFECT FOR YOU THEN. :heart

By the way, I've added into the "What you can send" section of my OP a list of the artists that have been used and scored 3 points or more. I've put it in italics and I'll keep it updated after each round, so the combination of that and RYM should make it clear what is off-limits.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
I'll work on a song tomorrow and send it tomorrow night.

Rich  Did you see what he looks like.  I saw him live and it was like Looney Toons with my eyes popping out. :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »
Yeah he looks more like he sounds when he has a beard. :lol He looks so young without it.

I be am boner inducing.