Author Topic: Gorille's Top 10 Albums  (Read 8502 times)

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
Gorille's Top 10 Albums
« on: November 27, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
Yes, I decided to go for a top 10 instead of a full top 50. Why the fuck pussycrackhead you say? Well, I couldn't possibly decide for much more than that, there's just so much great music out there... Also, to make my job easier, there will be some special rules here.

Only 1 album per band allowed: I have a band or two with very strong discographies so heh need to split the bread

No 2011 albums allowed: Too soon brah!! And btw, I'll do a 2011-best list soon so yeah peace out

Top 10. Only the best top-cream. Let's get this bitch the time of her life! :yarr

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
Re: Gorille's Top 10 Albums
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:36:08 PM »
inb4 Unexpect

You have an awesome taste in music. I will listen, in full, to every album on this list.  :tup

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
Following rabidly.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 03:52:23 PM »

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
10. Gojira - The Way of All Flesh

Here's some br00tal shit to start off the list! :metal Gojira is probably the heaviest band I know, as I'm sure many of you will agree. Whether it's by the tight drumming, their crunching riffs or Joe's incredible harsh vocals, they'll make you headbang like a motherfucker. What makes this album stand out for me is the strong sense of melody it have, added to the heaviness. It's also a very nice-sounding record; The mix here is terrific, particularly on the drums. From what I know, TWoAF is concept album about Death, an important subject matter they tackled very well with profound and intelligent lyrics without sounding pretentious, a feature you don't see that often with metal bands these days. Some of my favorites on the disc includes "A Sight to Behold", "The Art of Dying" and "Vacuity". So yeah a great, brutal album that I can't recommend enough to any heavy music fan. :metal :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 05:32:29 PM »
This is starting well...

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
Gojira are the best them. Although I prefer their earlier albums, TWoAF is still fantastic. A Sight to Behold is a fantastic song, so atmospheric

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »
TWOAF is fantastic.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
9. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Obvious pick, perhaps? Anyhoo, this album is a classic. An industrial masterpiece relaying the self-destruction of a man. Now the concept is a big part of why this album is this high on the list. My interpretation of it is a man who see everything falling apart in his life (religion, relationships, sanity) to finally give up and kill himself. It's one of those albums where the lyrics goes hand-to-hand with the music. So while the concept is kinda multilayered, the music is pretty diverse; From industrial to techno with a touch of ambient while being metal at some point. It's no secret I love multi-genre music so it's a big plus for me! :tup Every time I listen to this album, by the time the last few depressing notes of "Hurt" fades out I'm like: "OK, now THAT was something...".

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:40 PM »
The Downward Spiral  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 10:49:49 PM »
Hmm, two excellent picks so far.

Looking forward to more.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 11:05:48 PM »
mmmmmmmmm
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
Gorille, I wanna commend you for choosing such a sensible quantity for your list. I fully respect and appreciate the fact that many members are able to be exposed to a lot of new music and discuss numerous bands they already know and love amongst each other in the regular Top 50 threads but they're just so damn long and take forever to complete thus greatly limiting the overall amount of members that could be getting in their two cents with an easire-to-digest and more expeditious Top 10 or 20 list. Since yours will likely be done in just a couple days, I'll gladly follow. Wonder if Cynic will make your list :caffeine:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Two interesting picks so far.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 03:23:14 AM »
Why the fuck pussycrackhead you say?

That's EXACTLY what I say, verbatim.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 04:23:21 AM »
Will be following

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 04:50:50 AM »
Following. Gojira is awesome. While I'd put From Mars above TWoAF, it's still an amazing album. Great start.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zeraphex

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »
following like a hooker on aids

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
8. The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

This folk singer-songwriter took a while to grow on me! I remember the first time I heard of his stuff I hated his voice and thought the music was nothing special. Then, I gave The Wild Hunt some chances and it finally clicked. I got used to his voice and got blown away by the wonderful music. One thing I love about this album is the intimate feel I get, like you can almost picture in your head Kristian Matsson singing and playing his guitar alone in the wild nature. Talking about his guitar playing, his technique is great, switching between strumming to fingerpicking. But the beauty of this record isn't there; It's on the actual songwriting. It's also very constant, from the opening strumming notes of "The Wild Hunt" to the last chord of "Kids on the Run" (the last song is played on a grand piano). My favorite remains "Love is All" though. So yeah, definitely belong amongst my favorites!

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
I've had TDS on my shelf for literally a year without checking it out yet, will definitely change that now!

And YES for The Wild Hunt, nice to see other people place it so highly in their all time favourites too.  :D

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:44 AM »
Ok you've made me listen to TDS. Let's see how this goes..

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 12:38:24 PM »
Tallest Man on Earth!  :heart

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »
7. Massive Attack - Heligoland

Yup, the latest offering of the legendary trip-hop duo Massive Attack. And yup, I dig it more than Mezzanine, which is consider by many their best work. What can I say, I just love with this album on many levels. The production is great, the music is awesome and the moods on there makes it for an incredible listening experience. On this LP there's a range of guest vocalists whose performances really add to the colorful palette Heligoland have to offer. The music is rich, often laid-back and always fitting, as there's no bad song on it at all. There's just this atmosphere going on that makes me like it so much... it's hard to pinpoint, and it took several listens for me to really "get" the album. A favorite song? Well, maybe the closer, "Atlas Air"; I can't help but fall in love with the soothing, trance-like voice of Del Naja, mixed with the lead synth line and the electronic beats. All in all, awesome album! :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54:02 PM »
Wow, this gets updated quickly! Already downloaded the Tallest Man on Earth, I'll check if I can spin that tonight. I must say I'm not familiar with Massive Attack at all, is it interesting? :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »
Wow, this gets updated quickly! Already downloaded the Tallest Man on Earth, I'll check if I can spin that tonight. I must say I'm not familiar with Massive Attack at all, is it interesting? :P

Well obviously!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »
Haven't listened to Heligoland yet, but I don't get TMOE at all.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 08:35:17 PM »
6. Dir En Grey - Uroboros

Time for some Japanese experimental metal! :D I would describe it as bombastic, crazy and very dark. Very heavy by moments, it also got his fair share of melodic and light moments. But it always remains schizophrenic and creepy. The track "Vinushka" is a great example of the diversity on this album, it is also one of my favorite song ever! The lyrics are in Japanese but from what I've read of it, this is some sick, twisted stuff. Speaking of lyrics, vocalist Kyo takes the spotlight: Whether it's by his death growls, shrieks, screams, clean singing or just downright inhuman stuff... He's a big part of why I find this record so good. The variety of sounds here (mandolin, congas, etc.) makes Uroboros far from your typical metal album. I don't really have much more to say here... but yeah: If you're looking for a dark, diverse and heavy mindfuck, than this album is for you!

TOP 5 COMING UP!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 08:40:42 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »
That album is unbelievably awesome.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 09:04:25 AM »
5. Sigur Rós - ( )

How could I do a top x albums without including this album? This is some beautiful, beautiful music. The fact that some people even think this album/band is "pretentious" is beyond me. They're like the most down-to-earth, shy, etc. fellows ever. OK, now that I got that out of the way, let's talk about the record. The concept of having no song titles, and no "lyrics" (Jónsi sang in Vonlenska; which consists of meaningless words and syllables) is genius to me. That way, they let the music connect with the listeners without any barriers of language or meanings. The music is absolutely wonderful... you really need to hear it for yourself. Post-rock at it's finest. My favorite song off the LP is the closer: "Untitled 8". The climax on that song is one of the best I've ever heard. :hefdaddy I think it's Zack or someone else from the forum that said that and I think it's the best way to summarize the album: It's pretty much like witnessing the end of the world, front stage.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
Awesome choice.
 :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:27 AM »
Going to listen to it right now!
Squ

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
This top 10 list has no flaws in it.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
(  ) is killer.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
4. Thrice - The Alchemy Index

Thrice's mighty masterpiece. Four EPs, each one representing an element: Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Four different styles executed perfectly. I still find it incredible how fitting each EPs are to the elements. I still remember the first time I've listened to it all the way through... I was blown away. Not only is the concept interesting, the quality of the actual material is flawless. I don't think there's a single song out of the 24 present on this release that I don't at least find "good". I love how, while it is obviously a very diverse album, (ranging from aggressive post-hardcore to soothing electronics, from art rock to acoustic folk) it still feels like a whole piece. There's a feeling of cohesion here; Each closer from each EP have the same structure/melody going on. It would be way too hard to choose a favorite EP so let's just say they all are awesome (because that's the truth ;D).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:29:44 PM by Gorille85 »

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 01:20:59 PM »
This list is absurdly consistent.