Author Topic: A question.  (Read 802 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
A question.
« on: November 26, 2011, 07:01:49 PM »
After graduating from college, would my job prospects (in general) be greater continuing to live in the US, or moving to another English speaking nation?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: A question.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:06:10 PM »
Dunno, though it would depends greatly on your major and your social networks IRL that can help you land jobs.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Dunno, though it would depends greatly on your major and your social networks IRL that can help you land jobs.
This. Need more info to make a recommendation, tbqh.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:17:36 PM »
Also, people often hire based on reputation of the school. If you went to a school the hiring person never heard of, it could be harder. People tend to stay in the same area they graduated in, thereby making the hiring person more acquainted with those local schools. Same thing can apply to going abroad.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:18:03 PM »
If you are from another English speaking country, then your prospects are better in your own country. If you are an American, then they are better in the U.S. There are restrictions for working abroad in almost every country, and you had better be damn good at what you do before a company invests in the many hoops they would need to jump through in order to hire you.

For example, if you are not a U.S. citizen, there are issues with your work visa that most companies would not want to invest the money in for lets say, an entry level position.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
Yeah, I've been looking at moving back to the UK after I graduate, but it's looking very difficult/near impossible at this point (especially with the economy being what it is).
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
For example, if you are not a U.S. citizen, there are issues with your work visa that most companies would not want to invest the money in for lets say, an entry level position.

This indeed. My company still hires internationally in order to scrape the really good people from universities across the world, but at this point you have to have a PhD, and give a rock-solid presentation at the company.

That said, I hear with an engineering or marketing degree you can get a NZ visa quite easily. So, it really depends on the country and what they need there. However, as a rule of thumb. your chance of finding a job domestically are significantly higher than abroad.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 01:48:01 AM »
Sigz already mentioned... the economic conditions of the country is the real issue here IMO... It's difficult to find vacancies in the UK at the moment as they are mainly downsizing... Finding a job in Greece, Spain or Portugal is out of the question of course... However if you consider Qatar an option, then you can be hired in the blank of an eye... As a general rule you're more likely to be hired in developing economies... European countries are harder to get into as most of them are mature industries... But if you add a second language to the table, it might change the scene radically....