Author Topic: Upcoming debate on the historical Jesus  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Vivace

Re: Upcoming debate on the historical Jesus
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2012, 01:27:23 PM »
It was Tacitus.

I "knew" I had the wrong spelling but was too lazy to open my notes.  :D
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline Vivace

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »
Read the review. Sounds like Jacoby pretty much nailed it and a lot of what he talks about I can confirm with the current class I am taking so it was fun to see it used in a debate. I am floored by a pastor stating Jesus can be made parallel to the likes of santa claus when it comes to historicity. This is a pastor? Um... I'm surprised.

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
Read the review. Sounds like Jacoby pretty much nailed it and a lot of what he talks about I can confirm with the current class I am taking so it was fun to see it used in a debate. I am floored by a pastor stating Jesus can be made parallel to the likes of santa claus when it comes to historicity. This is a pastor? Um... I'm surprised.
Let's just say the pastor is grammatically challenged. He meant the exact opposite. Jesus and Santa Claus aren't very good parallels. To be fair, nobody actually made that comparison during the debate.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
I understand the comparison is usually meant disparagingly, but Santa Claus is actually not *that* bad a comparison, when you consider the historical Saint Nicholas and how the figure slowly evolved over time into its current figure.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »
I understand the comparison is usually meant disparagingly, but Santa Claus is actually not *that* bad a comparison, when you consider the historical Saint Nicholas and how the figure slowly evolved over time into its current figure.

rumborak
Actually, it is.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »
k
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »
Let's just say the pastor is grammatically challenged. He meant the exact opposite. Jesus and Santa Claus aren't very good parallels. To be fair, nobody actually made that comparison during the debate.

Ah... okay.