Author Topic: High definition video from Mars - money well spent?  (Read 6288 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: High definition video from Mars - money well spent?
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
Fighting for freedom is like fucking for virginity.

"Well, if firefighters fight fires, and crimefighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?" - George Carlin

Virginity, apparently.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
Definitely the moon. They would have to demonstrate that they can put a self-sustaining base up there, because that's what it's really about.  You can't keep on shipping oxygen and water up there,  that would have to come from the moon itself.
BTW, I very much doubt that it would be the US putting the base up there. Right now the Chinese are hellbent on making their mark in space, and a moonbase would be *the* achievement.

rumborak

A permanent base faces some other challenges.. namely... what you do with the humans there. Do you keep moving em back and forth, or get permanent volunteers?         

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
Definitely the moon. They would have to demonstrate that they can put a self-sustaining base up there, because that's what it's really about.  You can't keep on shipping oxygen and water up there,  that would have to come from the moon itself.
BTW, I very much doubt that it would be the US putting the base up there. Right now the Chinese are hellbent on making their mark in space, and a moonbase would be *the* achievement.

rumborak

A permanent base faces some other challenges.. namely... what you do with the humans there. Do you keep moving em back and forth, or get permanent volunteers?       
I think you would have to do something along the lines of rotations like they do for the ISS.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 11:43:50 PM »

rumborak

I think you would have to do something along the lines of rotations like they do for the ISS.

Ya, but that get's costly. ISS is much closer. Really though, when I think about it, would it be that hard to find people who want to colonize the moon?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
They announced a while ago that they were developing emergency plans for Apophis. They asked the US if we wanted to help.

That's fascinating that they are actually preparing for doomsday scenarios like that.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 12:00:57 AM »

rumborak
One of the Apollo follow-on missions had planned a moon base.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »
Fighting for freedom is like fucking for virginity.

"Well, if firefighters fight fires, and crimefighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?" - George Carlin

Virginity, apparently.

:hefdaddy   Well played  :hefdaddy

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »

rumborak
One of the Apollo follow-on missions had planned a moon base.
I had no idea. I wonder how that got scrapped...

They announced a while ago that they were developing emergency plans for Apophis. They asked the US if we wanted to help.

That's fascinating that they are actually preparing for doomsday scenarios like that.
Especially since most Astronomers are not worried about Apophis at all (from what I've read at least).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 10:32:49 PM »
Hadn't even heard of Apophis. I thought you were talking about Phobos-Grunt.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
Hadn't even heard of Apophis. I thought you were talking about Phobos-Grunt.

rumborak
https://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

All you need to know regarding Apophis.  :tup