Author Topic: My biggest nitpick with DT music:  (Read 10211 times)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: My biggest nitpick with DT music:
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
I knew something was different about their choruses lately and I guess this is what it would be.  I tend to like their choruses that have a little bit more going on in general.  Like the chorus from Under A Glass Moon.  Great vocal melody, and tons of cool stuff going on in the background.  I always thought that being able to play awesome riffs during the choruses is what made DT have that different sound that set them apart from the rest.   Petrucci could play riffs and still make it super melodic and perfectly fitting for the song.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline lithium112

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
I knew something was different about their choruses lately and I guess this is what it would be.  I tend to like their choruses that have a little bit more going on in general.  Like the chorus from Under A Glass Moon.  Great vocal melody, and tons of cool stuff going on in the background.  I always thought that being able to play awesome riffs during the choruses is what made DT have that different sound that set them apart from the rest.   Petrucci could play riffs and still make it super melodic and perfectly fitting for the song.

That's true - JP can certainly pull it off at times. Lines in the Sand is a great example.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »
Also Blind Faith and Endless Sacrifice.  Most of their best choruses have some cool guitar riff going on under it which makes it really unique.  Not saying the choruses on the new album are bad or anything, but I think the riffy choruses are more memorable overall. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 02:49:57 PM »
How about the chorus' for recent songs from the last 3 albums, like...

A Nightmare to Remember
Lost Not Forgotten
Constant Motion
The Shattered Fortress
Build Me Up, Break Me Down (BUILLLLDDD!!!! MEEEEHH!!!!......)
Prophets of War

That's just off the top of my head.

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
DT is so ridiculously amazing musically, that when it's time for James's vocals, JP likes to dial it back a bit so James has the chance to shine. Their music is fine. Their formula is perfect.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:44:59 AM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »
  Anyone else ever think anything else along these lines? 

No, not really.  I'm not sure I understand.  You want "riffage" during a chorus, where the vocals are typically out front?  Why?

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2011, 11:47:09 AM »

No, not really.  I'm not sure I understand.  You want "riffage" during a chorus, where the vocals are typically out front?  Why?

Because I prefer and appreciate that combination of rhythm and melody when they do, and JP "off in the corner" playing chords is a formula I don't prefer.  And they have already done this.  Once again, this is not an either/or proposition.  This is not some unheard of concept, like walking to Mars.  I wish they would do it more.

That's why.

Offline Cable

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2011, 05:02:05 AM »

Because I prefer and appreciate that combination of rhythm and melody when they do, and JP "off in the corner" playing chords is a formula I don't prefer.  And they have already done this.  Once again, this is not an either/or proposition.  This is not some unheard of concept, like walking to Mars.  I wish they would do it more.

That's why.

This is your opinion. As most have stated, however, riffage in choruses does not work most of the time. It seems like you look at DT as always breaking song structure conventions. One can only break so much. As Kirk mentions, riffage in chorus may destroy the vocal melody. This is why most music I can think of has open chords during choruses.

This would be a different discussion if you were advocating for more lead/melody lines, like A Rite Of Passage. There are many choruses that have melodies in the chords...I'm thinking of Home and In The Name Of god.

You propose this riff in chorus concept like it is common. Where are your examples? Most songs I can think of have open chord choruses.

But think about it. Or if you are a musician yourself...place a heavy riff in the PMU chorus.
---

Offline weezul

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:39 PM »
i'd certainly be well up for a riff-based chorus. Trying to think of the last one they did... panic attack? athough its a sorta unison with the vocals, but it definitely gives the chorus some balls.
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline darkshade

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2011, 06:00:57 PM »
^ did you guys not read my previous post in this thread???

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »
Totally disagree with OP sentiment. That's one of the reasons I love DT and very few other prog metal bands, because they actually care for strong chord progressions. Guitar riffs usually make for weak chord progressions, but that is fine during a verse section. However, when the chorus comes around you want a good hook, and only a strong sense of chords will give you that.

rumborak
Pretty much this exactly.  The way they change into almost every chorus, you can feel the vibe of the song shift to a different part of the story musically and foundationally speaking the chorus is to me anyway, the one thing that ties a song togehter. I mean you can have all these different sounding parts, riffage, guitar/keyboard/bass noodling then some really contrasty almost discordant sounding chord progressions that build up a kind of tension in the song, then the chorus kicks in with usually a very appropriate sounding transitional chord or series of chords that brings the thme of the song back to the center.   
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2011, 02:39:14 PM »
My biggest nitpick with DT is the new album.  Hardest DT album to get into ever.  Don't know if it's the choruses or what.  Seems so fragmented and doesn't flow well.  There are some awesome moments but too few and far between.  I don't get it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cable

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
^ did you guys not read my previous post in this thread???

I did.

The OP said most songs, not all. And with Prophets, do you mean the chants chorus? That one has octave playing after the chants, and for each vocal is one chord hit, leaving space.

In Nightmare, do you mean the "life was so simple...?" Same thing there, more space for the vocals. If there are riffs, I usually hear more fill styled things.

This is not to say some of their songs, like the others you mentioned do not have riffs. But the majority are left with more space for vocals. I think the OP was getting at why riffs, like Constant Motions first verse riff style, do not have choruses over it in most DT songs.
---

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 04:21:22 PM »
I will say that I love it when they have vocals with lines like 4:02 - 4:25 in BTL.  :metal