Author Topic: My biggest nitpick with DT music:  (Read 10212 times)

Offline commanderbob

My biggest nitpick with DT music:
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »
I've been a fan for 17 years and they are easily my favorite group ever, but the one nitpick that I have with their music is the lack of riffage during choruses for most songs.  I understand why it's done(to give more space to the vocal melody), but I wish that riffage was incorporated more into the chorus more often.  Most songs are packed with wonderful cruchy riffs, but when it comes chorus time it's like "what happened to JP?  Oh, he's off in the corner playing chords."  Anyone else ever think anything else along these lines?  Curious.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: My biggest nitpick with DT music:
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »
I've never noticed it.
DT have always been a good riffy band, and their choruses are usually strong enough for me to not think anything is lacking at all. But now that you mention it and I look through their songs, JP does often just play the root power chords and allow the vocal melodies to shine, which I think works well for their arrangements.

So your observation seems to be true, although it's not something I've ever noticed, and thus has never bothered me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
never noticed

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
Noticed it, it never bothered me. It isn't just writing good riffs, it's knowing where to put them that's important.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline GalacticGuitarist87

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:21:16 AM »
I know exactly what you mean, listen to Bridges In the Sky, when he sings "Son, come shine my way, may healing waters. . ."  The guitars sort of drone in the background, I don't see it as a problem, I couldn't imagine riffs in this part because when the heavy riff kicks in again it is way more dramatic.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »
DT has always arranged their music in an orchestral way rather than in a standard rock or metal way, meaning that they assign parts to instruments based on what sounds good and on what best compliments the instrument with the melody line. I've never noticed this lack of "riffage" and I don't want DT to start blindly incorporating "riffage" during choruses when a few chords would be much more effective.

Offline lumpy33

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »
i'm with you because i like my dream theater on the metal side, but i wouldn't change any of their tunes as they stand now.  you need the yin with the yang.  having said that though, some of my least favorite sections in a lot of their songs are the choruses.  probably because of what you're talking about.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 11:09:11 AM »
ITT DT fans don't grasp the purpose of dynamics.   ;)
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
Totally disagree with OP sentiment. That's one of the reasons I love DT and very few other prog metal bands, because they actually care for strong chord progressions. Guitar riffs usually make for weak chord progressions, but that is fine during a verse section. However, when the chorus comes around you want a good hook, and only a strong sense of chords will give you that.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
I think it says a lot about the quality of Dream theater's music if this is the biggest complaint a person can think of. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 03:23:43 PM »
Totally disagree with OP sentiment. That's one of the reasons I love DT and very few other prog metal bands, because they actually care for strong chord progressions. Guitar riffs usually make for weak chord progressions, but that is fine during a verse section. However, when the chorus comes around you want a good hook, and only a strong sense of chords will give you that.

rumborak

I'm with Rumby on this. you have to let the music breathe at times and the BITS example used above is a very good example of why it works.

Offline tweeg

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
I can see what the OP is getting at. Think back to old albums, they too had the non-riffy chorus phenomenon. I find it's more noticeable in their later albums though. I feel, and can't back this up, that the highly-limited mix that's trendy right now doesn't give choruses like that, with JP letting chords ring, room to breathe anymore. So you just get this wall of noise coming at you until the verse starts and the short-note nature of riffing creates spaces where there's no (or not as much) noise.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »
I think it says a lot about the quality of Dream theater's music if this is the biggest complaint a person can think of.

Haha no doubt!  It is simply another layer of complexity that I wish that they would add more often, in addition to their almost miraculous balancing of heaviness, melody, progressiveness and virtuosity.

Lie would be a good example of what I'm talking about.  PMU another.  Constant Motion.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »

rumborak

I'm with Rumby on this. you have to let the music breathe at times and the BITS example used above is a very good example of why it works.

.....and that vocal line is such a highlight of the song and definitely works VERY well for that song.  But it usually just jumps out at me as a distracting (yes, it actually distracts me sometimes) formula that I personally would like them to break more often.  It's kinda on the same level as "here come the dueling solos."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
DT has always arranged their music in an orchestral way rather than in a standard rock or metal way, meaning that they assign parts to instruments based on what sounds good and on what best compliments the instrument with the melody line. I've never noticed this lack of "riffage" and I don't want DT to start blindly incorporating "riffage" during choruses when a few chords would be much more effective.

That makes it sound like there's no way to accomplish riffier choruses without killing them. A little too much finality in that statement considering how adept DT is at exploring various possibilities.

Well, to be fair, his post was primarily positive about them and I don't see any problem with him expressing a legitimate view on a specific matter.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline i_am_here_

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Ive noticed this more and more over time but I found it to be genius.
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »
I would find a great riff covered up by a cool vocal line to be more distracting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 04:28:56 AM »
I would find a great riff covered up by a cool vocal line to be more distracting.
absolutely... and overdone...

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 04:50:04 AM »
Light Fuse and Get Away has an overtly riffy chorus.

6:00 could also arguably fall into this catagory.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 07:39:54 AM »
I don't have a problem with the "no riffs in choruses" approach. If the riff is good, it goes to waste by just being in the background, or the vocal melody may get overshadowed by the riff. One thing I don't like about The Count of Tuscany chorus is that Jordan's keyboard melody is buried in the background.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
Noticed it, it never bothered me. It isn't just writing good riffs, it's knowing where to put them that's important.

Yep

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »
This. Plus, there is so much instrument in DT's music, they need there to be a part for JLB to be heard without crazy riffs and such. It's about balancing it out and making it sound good, not packing in whatever mad playing you can do in x amount of time. They have a talented vocalist that needs room to be seen too!
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »
That makes it sound like there's no way to accomplish riffier choruses without killing them. A little too much finality in that statement considering how adept DT is at exploring various possibilities.
Not really -- you failed to redden the last few words of my sentence. I'll be the first to tell you, for instance, how much ass Honor Thy Father's chorus kicks, but JP has such a killer riff there because its chorus has a pretty weak melody.

Complaining that JP isn't always playing a face-melting riff is like complaining that JM isn't always tapping or JR isn't always using a ragtime patch -- that is, it's appropriate sometimes, but not always, and DT knows enough about music and what they want theirs to sound like to make the distinction.

Offline Cable

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
I disagree, most songs that I can think have a more understated riff chorus. More open chords, half notes etc.

Metallica Master of Puppets? The choruses have more complimentary riffs.
Alice In Chains Man in the Box?
---

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 03:08:42 PM »
My biggest nitpick is the song The Best of Times, the lyrics are godawful and so personal on what could become an awesome abstract love song.

Well and the balls&ass section of both SDOIT and ToT, too much Panterarish.

I'm picky.  :P

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2011, 03:47:57 AM »
Not really -- you failed to redden the last few words of my sentence. I'll be the first to tell you, for instance, how much ass Honor Thy Father's chorus kicks, but JP has such a killer riff there because its chorus has a pretty weak melody.

Complaining that JP isn't always playing a face-melting riff is like complaining that JM isn't always tapping or JR isn't always using a ragtime patch -- that is, it's appropriate sometimes, but not always, and DT knows enough about music and what they want theirs to sound like to make the distinction.

Because that was the part my reply was referring to and it didn't take you out of context since, the way you worded it, it came off implying that if DT were to utilize riffier choruses then they'd be doing it in some kind of forced, aimless manner since you used the word "blindly" which is a word that seldom can be accurately used to describe the way they've gone about their writing when you consider how carefully they plan out most of their parts.

I'm not sure if the "face-melting riff" part is regarding my reply but you seem to assume that anything that diagrees with your stance must surely be indicating something in the completely opposite direction instead of understanding the reality of how wide that middle grey area is and the expanse of possibilities it may hold.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2011, 09:38:28 AM »

Because that was the part my reply was referring to and it didn't take you out of context since, the way you worded it, it came off implying that if DT were to utilize riffier choruses then they'd be doing it in some kind of forced, aimless manner since you used the word "blindly" which is a word that seldom can be accurately used to describe the way they've gone about their writing when you consider how carefully they plan out most of their parts.

I'm not sure if the "face-melting riff" part is regarding my reply but you seem to assume that anything that diagrees with your stance must surely be indicating something in the completely opposite direction instead of understanding the reality of how wide that middle grey area is and the expanse of possibilities it may hold.
To be completely clear: my "face-melting riff" comment had absolutely nothing to do with you. I was referring to commanderbob's complaint which I still feel is a very silly complaint to make.

My point is not that choruses are not a place for awesome riffs, which would be a silly and close-minded view; if that's what you're taking from my posts, you're misunderstanding me. My point is that DT is a group of incredibly apt composers and we shouldn't slam them for a "lack of riffage" because they know what's best for the song.

As for "blindly", I still think it's important you consider the words in my sentence you didn't redden. Looking at it again:

I don't want DT to start blindly incorporating "riffage" during choruses when a few chords would be much more effective.

My point is that there is a world of possibilities for instrumentation, and, many times, we find that a few simple chords will be more effective. If commanderbob got his way and JP were obliged always to play killer riffs, DT would no longer be considering this world of possibilities and would only be considering one; they would indeed be blindly incorporating riffage. Instead, I want DT to do what's best for the song, and not what's best for commanderbob. Perhaps I should've said "whenever a few chords would be much more effective" to better express this?

Offline lithium112

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »
I think you guys are both saying the same thing which is: "JP is a prolific musician who knows when to play complex riffs and when to play simpler chord patterns to complement other parts."

theseoafs' comment about "blindly incorporating riffage" was directed at the OP (which was basically saying "hey, I wish more DT choruses had cool riffs"). The claim made by theseoafs (and most of the rest of the board) is that there are some choruses where this is appropriate and the ones without intense riffs are written that way on purpose because it sounds better.

Offline Slain

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 11:24:18 AM »
I think playing complex, intricate riffs during chorus parts would really distract from the vocals. I like that his playing can vary, and that JP can tone it down when he needs to.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »
The whole point is to give a chance for JP to make rock poses and faces while playing power chords.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 04:37:28 AM »
The whole point is to give a chance for JP to make rock poses and faces while playing power chords.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
Funny, I have always liked DT because they have more going on instrumentally in their choruses then most bands.  It is all relative.

Offline commanderbob

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
And this is not an either/or proposition, either.  It already happened with them, I just wished it was more often.  It drives up the energy of the chorus many times to me.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
ITT DT fans don't grasp the purpose of dynamics.   ;)

This

And...

This.

Think of it this way: DT choruses are there to allow our feeble minds needed rest before they progress into additional mind-blowing passages. Even still, many choruses provide lyrical orgasms so...in all, let's just continue to enjoy that which is DT.
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline jsem

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »
I have noticed the same thing too, but I never saw a problem with it.