Author Topic: The end goal of an economic system: Emindead vs Riceball.  (Read 4541 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The end goal of an economic system: Emindead vs Riceball.
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
In Soviet Russia, economy consume you!

Anyway, the way I was taught, and way I have chosen to continue to operate as an economist, is that the end goal of economic activity is consumption. We produce so we can consume, we trade so we can consume, we pollute so that we can consume - you get the idea.

I don't mean it like an economy is geared specifically towards consumption, but that all activities within an economy have consumption at their heart. I've yet to see, anywhere, an alternative definition of purpose for economic activity.
Since apparently this is a thread between you and me, I'll grab it from here.

The short answer to the question of what is the end goal of an economic system: production.

Semi-long answer: Consumption is destruction. For example someone made an ice cream: you eat it, you have consumed it. It's no longer there. You drive a car and it's less good than 50,000 miles before. True, one of the purposes is to consume, after all it is good to eat ice cream and to drive a car, this help to lead a better life. But this is not the source of wealth or the source of economic activity. One must work to earn the money in order to buy stuff. In a subsistence economy one must first produce in order to consume. You can't eat before you sow the land. If you do it the other way around, consume then produce you'll destroy the economy.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 10:06:44 PM by emindead »

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:34 PM »
Consumption is destruction.

Life is destruction.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
No.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2011, 12:19:04 AM »
I'm having a real hard time seeing how production is an end in itself in an economy (same goes for consumption).