Author Topic: Nick D'Virgilio Leaves Spock's Beard  (Read 4696 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Nick D'Virgilio Leaves Spock's Beard
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2011, 12:39:05 PM »
I believe that Neal leaving the band was a major shock for the fans - it seems to me like everyone who managed to get over that shouldn't have any problem with accepting the current situation the band is in. Yeah, changing the singer truly is a difference, but the attitude will still be there, along with hooks and beautiful melodies that made X such a classic after only a year and a half.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
OK, I'm too lazy to find the thread, but let me go on record that I *totally* fucking called this one. To me it was clear as day when they had the ersatz-singer.

I say, good on him. I love SB to death, but they're done. The last album was the first really good post-Neal album,  but it was too little too late. In terms of his own career it's probably also good because I always thought he was somewhat held back by this dying endeavour. I am very interested in his solo stuff.

rumborak

The last album is, in my opinion, as consistent as solid as V.  It could be the best in their career.  I wouldn't call it "too little."  As for the other post-Neal albums, Octane was great, Spock's Beard was good, and Feel Euphoria was the only questionable one.

Frankly, I think Spock's Beard has been consistently good.

I certainly hope this doesn't spell the end for Spock's Beard, and I look forward to their future output.  Sad to see Nick go, though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 03:27:03 PM »
I know this is probably the wrong time to be asking this, but I wonder if this means fuller involvement from Nick in Frost*?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
I know this is probably the wrong time to be asking this, but I wonder if this means fuller involvement from Nick in Frost*?

Hadn't thought of that, but I doubt it. If Nick couldn't commit any time to feel like he could be a full-time member of Spock's Beard, what makes anyone think he'd do so for any other band? Perhaps Nick may record drums on an upcoming Frost* album, or perhaps do a few shows again, but as a full-time member? I doubt it, and in my eyes, would be a bit of a jab for those NDV fans who will miss him in SB who may see him moving to Frost* as a disrespect to SB. Not like NDV even planned on committing to Frost for more than just that tour. Heck, he learned a couple hours worth of Agents Of Mercy and Karmakanic material for the Power Of Two tour - he's just really REALLY good at covering material live on drums for short tours.

I think Nick will want to take some time to focus on his CDS gig and figure out the issues involved with leaving SB.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »
Edge of the In-between has to be one of my favorite songs ever, SB or not. Sad to see NDV go.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »
While I agree X was an amazing album, Octane was better and in general post-Neal has been just as strong as pre-Neal. I can see the band getting along just fine with studio input. I'd love to see Jimmy on the albums behind the kit and get Ted Leonard in the band full time up front.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2011, 02:01:18 AM »
and in general post-Neal has been just as strong as pre-Neal.

wtf, no way in hell.

I believe that Neal leaving the band was a major shock for the fans - it seems to me like everyone who managed to get over that shouldn't have any problem with accepting the current situation the band is in. Yeah, changing the singer truly is a difference, but the attitude will still be there, along with hooks and beautiful melodies that made X such a classic after only a year and a half.

To each their own I would say. To me, there's always been two tiers in SB: Neal/Nick, and then the other guys. When Neal left I had very strong doubts about SB's future, but I was pleasantly surprised that Nick rose to the occasion, and he was really the only person who could keep SB afloat. But if they now plug in another singer, they not only don't have any of the original charismatic frontmen in their band anymore, but they also don't write their own songs in the first place. I don't want to be mean, but that gets close to Milli Vanilli territory.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2011, 02:41:57 AM »
I don't know, a great chunk of music on X was actually written by Dave Meros. And don't forget The Man behind the curtain by Alan Morse. Just imagine songs that awesome on their next album, I'm sure someone can sing them properly.  :smiley:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2011, 04:01:04 AM »

wtf, no way in hell.

It's a matter of taste, so this is a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. I also like post-Neal SB basically as much as Neal-era, as they're not as consistent but are far more varied.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2011, 05:09:07 AM »

wtf, no way in hell.

It's a matter of taste, so this is a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. I also like post-Neal SB basically as much as Neal-era, as they're not as consistent but are far more varied.

Agreed.  They put out plenty of very strong material post Neal and in fact, EVERYONE who had anything to do with writing "X" is still aboard, so they just need to regroup, find a good front man (personally, I do NOT think Ted Leonard is a good fit) and hire Jimmy to play drums.  They'll soldier on, and I'll support them. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2011, 05:55:30 AM »
I'm sorry, but I just saw the special on the new TA DVD, with NM playing with SB once more, and I just couldn't think of SB lasting much longer. Not a good live act, totally not, and now NDV is leaving, I can't imagine this'll be much good.

But great for them to march on!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »

wtf, no way in hell.

Agreed.  They put out plenty of very strong material post Neal and in fact, EVERYONE who had anything to do with writing "X" is still aboard, so they just need to regroup, find a good front man (personally, I do NOT think Ted Leonard is a good fit) and hire Jimmy to play drums.  They'll soldier on, and I'll support them.

I love post-Neal SB as well.  A lot of the criticisms leveled against them--including the "not prog enough" one--could just as well be leveled against Neal-era SB.  Snow, considered by many to be the best of the Neal era, never struck me as that progressive for the most part.

Though the obviously proggy songs from SB do tend to be my favorite, they're not the reason I listen to the band.  Sure, The Great Nothing and Jaws of Heaven are probably my favorite SB songs, but I also like Strange World and There Was a Time.  Songwriting quality and musicianship are just as good as they ever were, so I can't for the life of me figure out what problem people have with more recent albums.

As for it being as strong as Neal-era SB...I'm not sure.  X is the only one I'd rank at or near the top.  But then, Day for Night and Feel Euphoria could compete for the weakest SB albums, and the other two albums are damn strong.  When you've got a band as consistent as SB, "weaker than the Neal era" doesn't say much.  Spock's Beard is my favorite band, and they would be among my favorites even if their discography started with Feel Euphoria.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »

wtf, no way in hell.
I prefer post-Neal SB meself actually for basically the same reasons ariich stated.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
I've always called Spock's Beard catchy prog, so I can totally see why many would like some of their shorter songs just as much, or even more, than the longer tunes.

But the post-Neal era is more varied than the Neal era?  Sorry, but I don't see that at all. 

And I definitely agree that the Neal era was far more consistent.  I can count the number of forgettable tunes on the six Neal albums on one hand, while it would take several for those from the four post-Neal albums.  I'd still love to know what they were thinking when they wrote that god-awful vocal melody in Surfing Down the Avalanche.  Nothing like taking a tune that started out really good musically and destroying it with one of the ugliest vocal melodies I've ever heard.  And I thought that the bulk of the self-titled 9th album was pretty average (hard to pick out specific tunes since I haven't listened to the bulk of it in years). 

Lastly, Feel Euphoria is still, for my money, the 2nd best of the four post-Neal albums.  Not as good as X, but far better than either Octane or s/t. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »

Nope.  Jem disbanded Frost* a few months ago, IIRC

Offline Cordez

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2011, 02:17:34 PM »
Nope.  Jem disbanded Frost* a few months ago, IIRC

He did indeed in march but on September 16, 2011, Godfrey announced via his blog, that Frost* would once again be returning for a third album. Jem's blog: https://jemgodfrey.blogspot.com/

So NDV could be more involved in Frost* indeed!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »
I've always called Spock's Beard catchy prog, so I can totally see why many would like some of their shorter songs just as much, or even more, than the longer tunes.

But the post-Neal era is more varied than the Neal era?  Sorry, but I don't see that at all. 

And I definitely agree that the Neal era was far more consistent.  I can count the number of forgettable tunes on the six Neal albums on one hand, while it would take several for those from the four post-Neal albums.  I'd still love to know what they were thinking when they wrote that god-awful vocal melody in Surfing Down the Avalanche.  Nothing like taking a tune that started out really good musically and destroying it with one of the ugliest vocal melodies I've ever heard.  And I thought that the bulk of the self-titled 9th album was pretty average (hard to pick out specific tunes since I haven't listened to the bulk of it in years). 

Lastly, Feel Euphoria is still, for my money, the 2nd best of the four post-Neal albums.  Not as good as X, but far better than either Octane or s/t. 
We appear to have opposite opinions when it comes to SB. :lol My top 2 post-Neal albums are the self-titled and Octane.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »
I think from a strict "popular appeal" point of view, ever since Neal quit SB has been on a straight trajectory down. IMHO, the Neal-era albums is what made SB a force to be reckoned with. Post-Neal they were slowly using up that accumulated capital, to the point where they just couldn't get together a US tour anymore.

rumborak

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
I strongly prefer the Neal-era stuff, but the post-Neal stuff is good in it's own way.  Kind of like comparing apples to oranges, though.  I would rank the Nick-led-era stuff as:

X > Octane = Feel Euphoria > S/T

Each album has some songs I really like, and they also each have some songs I don't care for as much (with possibly X being an exception).  My favorite thing they have done is easily A Guy Named Sid, from Feel Euphoria.  Just as good as any song of Neal-era, in my opinion.

I will miss Nick being in the band, but am strangely excited to see who they recruit for vocals.  I really like all the members of the band and wish them nothing but the best.  Sucks that they can't live the dream and live off of being Spock's Beard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2011, 11:14:53 PM »
Despite some of the poor lyrics, A Guy Named Sid is mostly really good; the You Don't Know section is just dynamite. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2011, 09:51:14 PM »
I don't see how it matters much.

They are still a hobby band and unless they have recently decided to change that and make the band more of a priority, I don't think they are going to lose much.

My favorite post Neil album is still the self-titled one.

I suppose that would make X a distant second favorite.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »

wtf, no way in hell.

To each their own I would say.

rumborak

Contradiction much?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:14 PM »
One can disagree with someone, thinking he's plain wrong, and still leave that up to one's own taste.

rumborak