Author Topic: The weirdest thing just happened (Ordering CD's-related) - Happened again!  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Okay, so the biggest WTF happened to me today.

A little backstory: I order a lot of my music that I can't find in stores from cdon.com, cool site that has worked pretty well for me.
While I do prefer to buy my albums in store physically, there are artists and bands that aren't very big here, which makes ordering necessary.
Anyhow, I have a couple of orders active, most of them are partly delivered, they've sent like one album out of two for example, and they will send the others when they arrive.

Anyhow, I have an order active with The Dear Hunter, where I ordered both Act I and The Color Spectrum. (the ones I don't have)
Now, Act I arrived to them a few days ago, so I got a mail that they would send it to me, no biggie there since I knew the box would take longer.
Anyhow, today when I got home, I had two packages arrived.
Naturally I thought that one was The Dear Hunter, and the other was some other album I was waiting for.

I open both packages, and it turns out that it's Act I by The Dear Hunter, but the second package contains Pale Foklore by Agalloch.
The interesting thing here is that I have never ordered Pale Folklore on cdon.com, what makes it even more interesting is the fact that this is a band not really known in Sweden (which probably decreases the odds a lot), and even more that it is the ONLY Agalloch album I don't own, I've looked for it for a long time without success, and now it finally just pops down in my mailbox.  :o
Both packages have the same paper, saying that it's Act I by The Dear Hunter, and that it's already paid. It also says on both that The Color Spectrum (the box) is still waiting to be delivered.

So yeah, my first thought "what are the odds?", because I've looked back on my history on cdon.com, and this album isn't in any of my orders, and I didn't start using this site until a few months ago, so I know my data pretty well.
The whole thing just feels sorta random, to get an album with one of my favorite bands that I don't own, but apparently already being paid for.

Now to my dilemma, unless they actually contact me and say "hey we made a mistake and sent an album you haven't ordered", what should I actually do?
It all feels too "perfect" to be true, I'm somehow starting to think if I maybe ordered that album but much longer ago, like something I may have done a few years ago, and it just took this long for the album to get here?
I've had a bit of trouble with this band before, when I ordered another album by them (Ashes Against the Grain), it took about 5-6 months before I got it, I think the recordlabel didn't have any printed copies.
I have no memory of ordering this album, but it feels too good to be true, being an unknown band here, the album I don't have, and all, but that doesn't explain the paper saying that it's The Dear Hunter.

Anyhow, has anyone experienced anything similar? (aka getting something you haven't paid for, but the other part thinks you have)  :corn

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:00:47 PM by Zantera »

Offline ShadowWalker

Re: The weirdest thing just happened (Ordering CD's-related)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:12:05 AM »
Honesty is always the best policy. I had a situation like this where a package got lost in the mail from Amazon and they sent a replacement. The original finally arrived. I could easily have re-gifted it, but I just returned the extra copy.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:49 AM »
Never had anything like that happen to me.  You basically can go one of two routes:

1) Notify them, and if they ask you to send it back ask for the money to ship it back.  At that point they realize they are going to spend at least $3 to recover $15, and more than likely they'll tell you to just keep it.  You also get the satisfaction that you did the right thing.

2) Hope they don't say anything and stay quiet.  Unless they ask for it back, it's yours, but you aren't being honest about the whole process.

I say go with option 1, you'll probably get to keep it.  If they ask for it back you could always offer to buy it at its cost w/o shipping.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »
I'd consider option 1, but would probably jump directly to option 3.  This is an album you don't already have, you want it anyway, and they've sent it to you.  Offer to pay for it, and all is well.

Option 1 is good, and would probably mutate into option 3 anyway.  Usually if someplace sends you the wrong CD, you just keep it because it's more trouble and expense for them to deal with getting it back (unless it's like a huge box set or something).  Let them know you received the wrong disc, and they'll probably let you keep it, but if your conscience bothers you, offer to pay for it.  They'll probably decline that, too.  Conscience is clear, and all is well.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »
Yeah, the third option is probably the "best" one for me.
I'll think about it, maybe they'll contact me within the next days, if not then I might contact them about it.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
honesty

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »
Rip the CD, return it saying there was a mistake.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 10:53:03 AM »
I would just keep the damn thing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
I asked my dad what he thinks, and he was just like "good day for you", while he doesn't like stealing itself, his point was that they sent me this album, and I haven't done anything wrong myself.
Maybe keeping it is a bit wrong, but I don't know. :P
Just feels sorta like a sign, that I happen to get this album I've been looking for... a long time, and it just happens to come to me.

Anyhow, I'll think a bit about it..

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »
Amazon once sent me some weird John & Yoko album when I'd ordered (coincidentally) an Agalloch album.  So I sent them an email, and they were like, "Oops!  Keep it, we'll send you the right one."  Which would have been awesome if I'd had any interest whatsoever in what they accidentally shipped to me.

But I bet if you tell them they made a mistake, they'll let you keep it. 

Good day for you.  :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
Just send them the money for the cd if they ask.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 03:21:09 PM »
I would just keep the damn thing.

This.  :lol Maybe it makes me a bad person, but if I got a free CD I wouldn't think twice about returning it, unless they contacted me and asked if I could return it. Especially if you buy from them frequently.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 03:55:03 PM »
Rip it first then send it back. :biggrin:

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 06:09:47 PM »
Option 3 sounds nice.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
Rip it first then send it back. :biggrin:

It wouldn't be the slightest bit odd to be returned a completely opened CD, now would it?

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:45:17 AM »
Wait till they ask. Or just pay it anyway. I would keep it ha! One of my friends once returned a Trace Elliot bass amp to them because it was broke.  They sent him a brand new one back and then a couple of weeks later, his original one turns up fixed. Now he has two! Shhh.  :lol

Offline dongringo

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
I would tell them about it, then offer to pay for it if they want you to send it back. But I'm guessing they will let you keep it. Anyway, just because they made a mistake, that doesn't mean it belongs to you....yet.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
Bumping because almost the exact same thing happened again!

So today I got a package from InsideOut, "awesome" I thought, knowing that it was the two Devin Townsend vinyl I had ordered. So I open up the package, and indeed I find my blue vinyl Ocean Machine, and green vinyl Terria. (both looks awesome) But I also find something else. A CD that I hadn't ordered. So I'm chocked to see "Pure Reason Revolution - Hammer & Anvil". I'm a huge fan of this band, but I never got around to getting this album, in fact it is the only album I do not own physically.
Apparently I got it because they had a lot in stock and I ordered quite a big order, but still.. what are the odds?

Regarding the first situation I posted about earlier, I wrote to the company that sent me the Agalloch CD and it was a similar scenario, they were like "you order so much, so enjoy it", cool stuff.

Still, can't help but think of the odds of me at two different occasions, getting the one album on CD by a band I'm a huge fan of. It's not like Agalloch or Pure Reason Revolution are the first "go to" bands.  :lol
Just thought I would share!

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Pretty awesome coincidence!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Back when that MASSIVE sale on The Omega Order happened, I ended up with two copies of In a Flesh Aquarium for some reason. I'm leaving the other one sealed just in case it's worth millions of dollars some day.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH