Author Topic: 2009-12-09 - Thebarton Theatre - Adelaide, AUS  (Read 6089 times)

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
2009-12-09 - Thebarton Theatre - Adelaide, AUS
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »
Dream Theater - Adeliade 2009 Review

First off - I got to the venue at around 2pm. I was second in line. So I was pretty much guaranteed a spot dead centre at the front...hell yeah! I chatted with fellow fans for the hours before the concert and we had many lol's. Doors opened at about 7pm and we rushed ourselves down to the front. Fantastic. So we milled till 7.45pm and then PoS started. Not knowing any PoS I didn't know what to expect. A funny side story to PoS is that while reparking my car to avoid a parking ticket before the doors opened, these tourist type looking people pulled up next to me. I said g'day and these nice chaps all said hello with big grins on their faces. I thought geez! These are nice people and continued back to my spot in line. It turns out they were PoS...big face palm!

Anyway they played and while the sound mix was not that great they performed very, very well. The singing in particular. I was very impressed. An added bonus was that MP made a guest appearance on one song on the drums and he played it very well. The crowd went a little crazy over that one!

So they finished the set and got a good reaction from the crowd..including Tony one of techs, if anyone else was there they'd understand that one.

So came Dream Theater. Opening with A Nightmare to Remember, the crowd went bonkers...there were even crowd surfers lol! I managed to get myself kicked in the head doh! To say DT nailed aNtR is an understatement. It was awesome!

I won't go through all the songs as they were all played to the highest degree. The highlights were the Dance of Eternity and The Count of Tuscany.

One thing to note is that JP didn't look to well or was really tired. Regardless he played with amazing precision. The ambient section to TcOT was very mesmerising. The boys seemed to really enjoy themselves for this show. It was nice getting visual interaction with JLB, JR and MP - JP mainly stayed in his spot and we all know the JM never moves...although he did walk around and headbang on several occasions.

I was really going bonkers on the night. MP was throwing sticks out as per usual and one landed in the empty concourse between the crowd and stage. I didn't think anything of it. At the end MP pointed straight at me (my guess is cause I was air drumming everything all night and going bonkers). After that I didn't think any more of it. When the walked off stage the security guard got word down and handed be the stick and said, "I think somebody thinks you were the best fan tonight, you are to have this stick...oh and thanks for being behaved" (there were some di..heads crowd surfing and lighting up cig's int he pit which was annoying) - to get recognition like that made me blush but it's nothing really...I got MP's stick wooooo!

All in all it was the best concert I've been to. From where I was the mix was almost perfect - the vocals were a little low in the mix but Labrie kicked some major arse. Overall Kudos to DT for providing a defining moment in my life.

Oh and proof I got the stick:

Im also in JR's twitter video - Im the guy in the middle at the front with a bald head and blue shirt - I stand out quite nicely! (7:26 onwards)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoOhV4tRWhc&feature=autoshare_twitter

More photos will be posted soon when Im on a break at work.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:06:46 AM by cyberdrummer »

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater - Adelaide 2009 Review
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:42:17 PM »
Great review, I so wish I was there!  :smiley:

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 03:51:19 AM »
Interesting point about Petrucci because I also didn't think he looked too happy during some of the songs in Melbourne (most noticeable prophets of war and sacrificed sons).

I'm also glad you enjoyed POS despite not knowing any of their songs, how was the crowd's reaction to them?
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 04:02:20 AM »
Crowd was quiet but I reckon most didn't know much about them. Everyone around me really dug what they heard. Plus the MP guest cameo on the drums was a nice touch.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:31:10 AM »
Thanks for the review, and congrats on the stick!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:09:58 AM »
Some Piccys:

Oh you got me JR! Lol!

Solem Ninja...

Pirate is angry...but probably hungry too

Could this be the end?

Hope you enjoyed!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »
Nice pics, but why is there a guy with a mustache standing there? :P

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »

Bastard security guard

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:43:11 AM »
Heh, we don't have those here. Must be weird standing in front of him :p.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:44:48 AM »

:lol He really is dominating that photo album.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 05:45:59 AM »

:lol He really is dominating that photo album.

The real question is, why isn't he at every DT show?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 05:59:27 AM »
I asked him to move but he flat out refused...said he couldn't. Oh well. He's the one though that got word down to hand me Portnoy's stick and he also recovered my mobile phone that somehow landed at his feet. To me it reminds me of all the crazy things that happened that night lol! He looks bored sometimes though.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:29:12 PM »
I asked him to move but he flat out refused...said he couldn't. Oh well. He's the one though that got word down to hand me Portnoy's stick and he also recovered my mobile phone that somehow landed at his feet. To me it reminds me of all the crazy things that happened that night lol! He looks bored sometimes though.
The one at the show I went to in the US looked bored too. Then I saw the same security guard at another show the next week. He looked bored again.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
Working at shows really isn't fun.  I work at a Theater, and before I got the job I thought that I'd love watch the shows that came through.

But no.  Even when they're awesome, no.  I'm at work, and that gets in the way.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 02:36:46 AM »
Do they even get to turn around and look at the stage? He is facing the same way every time

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 01:05:43 AM »
Beautiful photos!

Were they just with a normal digital camera? If so I have no idea how you got them like that! I either turn the flash off, in which case it's mega blurry, or turn it on, in which case you just get the arm of the bloke in front of you - or the moustache, in your case. There's no winning. D: I assume that was something a little more professional?

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 02:55:46 AM »
Normal Digital Camera with no flash - heaps came out blurry though. I just took like 100 photos lol! Being at the front makes for good photos!
Its a cheapo Canon 10 MP camera.

piotr

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:23 AM »
Hi,
Just found this forum. It is my first post.
I thought I would share some photos from the Adelaide gig last year.

Hope you enjoyed these.
You can see the rest on myspace: https://www.myspace.com/71168230/photos

Cheers,
Piotr

Online Mladen

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
Great review and awesome pictures. I loved the ones with the security guy, he seems to be asleep on a couple of photos. He probably hates his job.  :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 04:48:54 AM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 05:41:39 AM »
He looks shooped, or like some meme that should be...

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »
Great review and awesome pictures. I loved the ones with the security guy, he seems to be asleep on a couple of photos. He probably hates his job.  :lol

I wouldn't mind taking his place.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
I like the lightshow of the BC&SL tour, very nice colors