Author Topic: Spock's Beard announce the new lineup!  (Read 1746 times)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
Spock's Beard announce the new lineup!
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »
https://spocksbeard.com/

November 21, 2011

Announcing – Spock’s Beard has a new recording and touring lineup!

To keep bringing you the finest Prog Rock, we’ve brought on board the amazing vocalist/guitarist Ted Leonard (Enchant, Thought Chamber) and Jimmy Keegan (Santana, John Waite), who’s been our tour drummer for close to 10 years now. If you know these guys, you know they’re world class. They bring exciting new energy and creativity to the party.

We regret that Nick D’Virgilio, a founding member of the band, good friend and incredible talent is unable to continue with us due to his other commitments. Please continue to support him, check out his new solo CD “Pieces,” go see him with Cirque du Soleil and follow whatever other madness he's up to. He’s awesome. We wish him the best of luck and the success he deserves. We wouldn’t be here without NDV!

Look for a new live Spock’s Beard DVD and extensive European tour in early 2012, followed by our 11th studio release sometime in the summer. We’re energized and excited, and will be posting updates and sound samples as we progress.

Thank you for continuing to support us through the years and changes. We stay committed to bringing you the finest in Prog Rock and taking it into the future.

If you don't already, please follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest.

As expected. My guess would be that Ted will become more and more relaxed on stage. So I don't worry. :)

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Spock's Beard announce the new lineup!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »
Jimmy is an awesome drummer, that was the obvious choice.  Ted is a capable vocalist, but if I'm being honest, he's probably the main reason the band Enchant never really appealed to me all that much.  I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I will, of course, continue to support my friends in Spock's Beard and I hope it works out for them.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
Just popping in to say I fucking called this one.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
This was the best possible choice in my opinion.  Huge Ted Leonard fan, and it's good to see him get some work.

You're not the only one Nick.  Like I said, they don't announce Nick departing without having a plan.  DVD and album next year?  I'm already excited, just wish they were touring the states, or even a one-off show.  I'd travel to NYC for a show.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:43:06 AM by DTVT »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »
Just popping in to say I fucking called this one.

:tup

Well then, it seemed to be the easiest solution. I'm glad Jimmy is sticking around! He was credited for backing vocals on X so I'm hoping he does more on the next album. I think we can look forward to some awesome 4-part vocals on the next album if Jimmy contributes in addition to Ted, Al and Dave.

I can't wait to hear what these five guys are going to do!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »
Jimmy proved himself more than a capable vocalist on Flaming Row, even if it was a rather bit part.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »
Jimmy proved himself more than a capable vocalist on Flaming Row, even if it was a rather bit part.

Oh that's where I recognize the name.  He didn't have too many parts, but did just fine.

Gotta go check me out some Ted Leonard.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
I like Ted Leonard a lot, even if I find Enchant and Thought Chamber only "okay" most of the time. He's often compared to Steve Walsh, which I don't necessarily agree with, but he does sing in a similar range.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
With most prog bands, the vocals are pretty much the deciding factor in whether or not I can listen to them repeatedly, and since Enchant made it onto my iPod, I guess Ted Leonard's vocals are okay with me.  I'd say this is a good thing for Spock's Beard.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »

You never heard Enchant?  Get on that immediately, if not sooner.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

You never heard Enchant?  Get on that immediately, if not sooner.

And if you're gonna check them out, I think their best album is "Juggling 9 or Dropping 10" but I actually like his vocals on the Thought Chamber CD better.  He sang with a bit more of an edge on that one.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:55 PM »
Jimmy was so much fun when I saw them at High Voltage, and I thought Ted did a very good job, at least in terms of the vocals themselves. He obviously wasn't 100% comfortable with the music because he didn't know it that well, but now that he's a full time member he'll learn the stuff and, as the OP said, probably be more relaxed on stage now.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
Very happy to see Ted as the singers.  Can't wait to hear him on some studio music with SP.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:55 PM »
Ted seems to be a good choice for the singer and Jimmy can obviously also play all the songs really well, but I guess I'll be the "It's just not the same"-guy forever. I simply don't feel comfortable with Spock's Beard without Nick or Neal. At least not yet.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »
Very nice news, sooner than I expected.  :metal

I'm gonna support Spock's beard in every line up, and being that Dave, Alan and Ryo are still in there, there's no reason to expect weak music. Jimmy is a brilliant drummer and a good backing vocalist, and I'm sure Ted will do a good job - welcome aboard, man.   :tup

I can't wait for the new album and another opportunity to see the guys live - early 2012, eh?  :smiley:

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
Sorry to be a stick in the mud, but I don't like this choice of singer. His voice sounds almost the same on every song, and is kind of, well...wimpy. I've seen Enchant live and they were alright but not great. Jimmy Keegan is a great drummer, of course, so that's okay.

Since NDV was my favorite member of the band, I have a hard time accepting a SB without him OR Neal. To lose your main songwriter/frontman, and then lose another frontman is pretty rough. I like the other guys in the band, but it's barely even the same group to me now. Since SB is my 3rd favorite band, and I like them even more than DT, I took NDV's leaving kind of hard, but I can understand his reasons.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 10:00:54 PM »
As an Enchant fan, I'm OK with this.

But also as an Enchant fan, does this mean Enchant are done? (Not that they have been active lately anyway)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
I'd be lying if I said I was excited about this, but I am sure I will check out anything new they do.  Bummer to see it come to this, Neal and NDV both out of the band. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:39 AM »
I just brought up "The Light" from the High Voltage festival, to hear Ted's singing. Two things I noticed: Ryo's performance was really bad. Lots of wrong notes and sounds. Ted's singing was alright; in comparison to Neal's performance though he got totally owned.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 02:57:08 AM »
Me thinks Ryo needs to revisit the first album before the next tour. I still love him, though.  ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 07:52:09 AM »
Yeah Ryo isn't a great live player, he did alright for the most part but made some silly mistakes playing Neal's old parts. That's been the case since Neal left though. And to be honest he's a lot of fun and has so much energy that when you're actually there you don't really care that much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
Ryo had very little time to rehearse for High Voltage due to other commitments, plus he was sick.  I've seen him live three times and he's most certainly not "weak" as a live player. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
I just brought up "The Light" from the High Voltage festival, to hear Ted's singing. Two things I noticed: Ryo's performance was really bad. Lots of wrong notes and sounds. Ted's singing was alright; in comparison to Neal's performance though he got totally owned.

I just watched it as well.  I agree on both accounts.  I didn't like Leonard's voice a lot, at least for this band.  It doesn't seem to mesh well with their sound well.  And when Neal came out for his cameo, the difference was massive.

As for Ryo, in all fairness, he is handling the keyboard parts of two players (I believe that is why he was hired in the first place, because the keyboard parts on the first album were too much for Neal to do by himself live).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »
That's correct, Kevin.  :)

And he's rearranged a lot of the parts to play TWO parts on two different rigs simultaneously with one hand.  Not an easy task at all, which is why he needs a lot of time to rehearse before gigs.  High Voltage was literally a last minute thing.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
Interested to hear this lineup.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »
Man, so I finally have a better internet connection here in NZ, and just listened to "June" from the same concert. Bizarrely, Neal is singing it again with the band (wtf?).
But, Al is not good either! He's singing massively off-pitch in numerous sections.

Is this just a bad concert, or did I have a very blue-eyed view of their live performances? (I saw them open for DT way back when and was blown away)

EDIT: Just listened to a '98 rendition of the song, with Neal at the helm still. What's missing is NDV's rock-solid backing vocals in that song. He and Neal were in perfect lock-step, and the others were mixed lower.

rumborak
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 12:44:05 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
Alan has sent me back my X CD I sent to him with maybe 6 signatures on? I can tell Alan's and Ryo but no-one elses. Ha! Unsure if it's the new lineup and Nick's too? He sent me some little Spock's goodies too and a nice letter thanking me for High Voltage and buying me a beer the next time they are over here. Great guys!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 12:42:56 PM »
Man, so I finally have a better internet connection here in NZ, and just listened to "June" from the same concert. Bizarrely, Neal is singing it again with the band (wtf?).
But, Al is not good either! He's singing massively off-pitch in numerous sections.

Is this just a bad concert, or did I have a very blue-eyed view of their live performances? (I saw them open for DT way back when and was blown away)

EDIT: Just listened to a '98 rendition of the song, with Neal at the helm still. What's missing is NDV's rock-solid backing vocals in that song. He and Neal were in perfect lock-step, and the others were mixed lower.

rumborak

Well, Alan Morse is a bad singer, plain and simple.  He should never be singing any lead.  If his voice is used for harmonies to help fill out the sound, okay, but as a lead vocalist?  Goodness, no. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
I've seen Ryo play live five times with Spock's Beard (3 with Neal and 2 without) and in no way would I consider him to be "weak" live.

If anything, I'd consider him to be an underrated keyboard player.