Author Topic: Sepultura - proggy thrash?  (Read 7470 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Sepultura - proggy thrash?
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2020, 01:11:14 PM »
I really dig Quadra and Machine Messiah after one listen.  I do have Kairos lined up too, and I'll check out a few others.  I gave Against another try earlier today and still have the same reaction 22 years later.
MM, Quadra and Kairos surpass by far all the others from Derrik’s phase IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2020, 02:58:12 PM »
Spun this one a few times, it's really impressive.  Will start working my way back maybe. 

If this is what 'new' Sepultura do, I don't understand why they still keep getting shit from the old fans.

I guess the "no Max, no Sepultura" mentality and what I said on my previous post explain that. IMO Sepultura took so long after Max to finally put out some truly good/great albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2020, 02:30:00 PM »
Spun this one a few times, it's really impressive.  Will start working my way back maybe. 

If this is what 'new' Sepultura do, I don't understand why they still keep getting shit from the old fans.

I guess the "no Max, no Sepultura" mentality and what I said on my previous post explain that. IMO Sepultura took so long after Max to finally put out some truly good/great albums.

I didn't follow them back then but I guess you are right.  If the quality dropped off along with Max's departure, I guess you can see where that mentality comes in.  Hopefully some older fans forgive and try the new album at least.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DTA

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
This is a pretty impressive late career comeback. I did not think much of Against (or Roots tbh) and felt like Nation and Roorback were nu-metal garbage, but the latest two hold their own among Arise/BTR/Chaos. I really think Eloy is the secret weapon. He has writing credits on most songs with Andreas so I'm guessing that his skill is helping up the guitar game considerably.

Onto Mediator next...I'm wondering when the drop-off occurs. Probably the last Igor album I'm guessing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2020, 11:37:33 PM »
Picked up a physical copy of the cd on the weekend.  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »
Picked up a physical copy of the cd on the weekend.  :metal
Nice, will definitely get this one. It might not be your typical Sepultura album but no one can deny that the songs are killer. I just wished the drums were a bit more raw sounding in the mix.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:42 AM »

Offline DTA

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2020, 01:40:58 PM »
That one and Raging Void are incredible drum-wise.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »
Yea that's probably the hardest too play I think. He's really got some great fundemental technique and chops despite hitting the drums like they owe him something.  :lol

Eloy honorings his roots by playing some Brazilian rythms on drums, really cool stuff. My favourite part is at 2:55 and when he goes bezerk 3:38  :lol

Eloy Casagrande - Solo of the Brazilian rhythms
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:28:02 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2020, 05:05:25 PM »
The more I listen to this album, the more I like it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2020, 06:24:02 PM »
Yea that's probably the hardest too play I think. He's really got some great fundemental technique and chops despite hitting the drums like they owe him something.  :lol

Eloy honorings his roots by playing some Brazilian rythms on drums, really cool stuff. My favourite part is at 2:55 and when he goes bezerk 3:38  :lol

Eloy Casagrande - Solo of the Brazilian rhythms

The more I see of this guy, the more impressed I am. Him and Baard from Leprous are probably my new favorite drummers. This performance of Desperate Cry is absolutely insane...I loved Igor's drumming in the band but this guy is absolutely unreal in transforming those drum parts into something quite unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ktbtG-zD8Y

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2020, 07:21:16 PM »
Quadra is an amazing album, easily the best one they have done with Derrick. That being said, both Kairos and Mediator are great albums (Didn't care for Machine messiah that much) so it doesn't come up as a surprise for me. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2020, 05:22:20 PM »

Offline devieira73

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »
Eloy is incredibly talented... amazing version!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2021, 09:37:00 AM »
The new album by Sepultura is REALLY good.

Tracklist:
01. Territory [feat. David Ellefson]
02. Cut-Throat [feat. Scott Ian]
03. Sepulnation [feat. Danko Jones]
04. Inner Self [feat. Phil Rind]
05. Hatred Aside [feat. Angélica Burns, Mayara Puertas & Fernanda Lira]
06. Mask [feat. Devin Townsend]
07. Fear, Pain, Chaos, Suffering [feat. Emmily Barreto]
08. Vandals Nest [feat. Alex Skolnick]
09. Slave New World [feat. Matthew K. Heafy]
10. Ratamahatta [feat. Joao Barone & Charles Gavin]
11. Apes Of God [feat. Rob Cavestany]
12. Phantom Self [feat. Mark Holcomb]
13. Slaves Of Pain [feat. Frédéric Leclercq & Marcello Pompeu]
14. Kaiowas [feat. Rafael Bittencourt]
15. Orgasmatron [Motörhead cover][feat. Phil Campbell]

Guests:
David Ellefson - ex-Megadeth
Scott Ian - Anthrax
Danko Jones - группа Danko Jones, лол)
Phil Rind - Sacred Reich
Fernanda Lira - Crypta, ex-Nervosa; Mayara Puertas - Torture Squad
Devin Townsend - The Devin Townsend Band
Emmily Barreto - Far From Alaska
Alex Skolnick - Testament
Matthew K. Heafy - Trivium
Charles Gavin - ex-Tităs; Joao Barone - Os Paralamas do Sucesso
Rob Cavestany - Death Angel
Mark Holcomb - Periphery
Rafael Bittencourt - Angra
Phil Campbell - ex-Motorhead

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2021, 10:47:27 PM »
Didn't know this was happening.  Interesting.

Offline DTA

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2021, 04:15:41 AM »
I didn't realize this was being made into an album. Not sure I need this, but I like the diversity of the tracklisting with the inclusion of songs that are pretty obscure. I still can't believe the comeback this band has made with the run of albums from Kairos through Quadra being simply outstanding.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2021, 01:42:41 PM »
These were recordings they did during Covid and would put up on the internet every Wednesday. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2023, 03:58:24 PM »
So after being a Sepultura fan for nearly 20 years, and only really ever listening to the Max era albums I've decided to work my way through the post-Max era stuff.

My first exposure to Sepultura was (like many other metal bands) due to my older brother. He lent me Arise back in 200e, followed shortly by Chaos AD. These two remain my favourite Sepultura albums but I dig all the Max era stuff to be honest.

I remember when I was flat sharing with a buddy back in 2006 (who had very similar tastes to me) and he had a copy of Roorback. I didn't really know a great deal of Sepultura's history back then, but I had started listening to some Soulfly albums around that time.

I must've read something about the post-Max output but I remember thinking that the album art looked strikingly similar to Come Clarity by In Flames (which had just been released) so I thought I'd give it a shot. I think maybe it was the same artist who did both album covers?

Anyway, I didn't think much of Roorback upon hearing it. Of course, back then music wasn't so easily accessible. I decided that post-Max Sepultura was not for me and I wouldn't be wasting any of my money on their albums. That stuck for years, and none of my friends were into any of their later albums, so I just never really thought about it.

I think it was due to someone posting on DTF about Machine Messiah that gave me the push to give them a try. It was probably a little to do with the fact that I'd been unimpressed with recent Soulfly/Cavelera Conspiracy albums as well. 

I thought Machine Messiah was decent, as was Quadra, so here we are. In this day and age it's so easy to sample all the albums I couldn't back in the day, so this is just part of that journey.

I've just spun Against, and you know what, it wasn't that bad. It had that tribal sound but was edging more towards hardcore than thrash. I'll try to continue suspending any preconceptions and keep going through their albums.

Offline DTA

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2023, 04:36:37 PM »
I’m a diehard fan of theirs since before Max even left, from about 94. And I absolutely loved everything from Schizophrenia through Chaos AD. Roots was okay, and Against did nothing for me so I forgot about them for about 20 years. Then I listened to Quadra on a whim and it honestly blew me away. I rank that one pretty much at the top which I never thought was possible after loving their Max-era stuff so much. Kairos is fantastic too, but I would keep trying Quadra. That album has it all and is a masterpiece imo

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
I got out of Sepultura's music as fast as I got into it in the 90s. I heard a bit about how Derrick Green really wasn't accepted by a huge chunk of fans, moreso than a lot of replacement vocalists and it got me intrigued to check it out, but not until Amazon had a huge 5 dollar cd sale. I picked up Machine Messiah (and also Avenged Sevenfold's Nightmare) and was really impressed by Sepultura. I later picked up Kairos and really, really dug it. I went back and got Nation, which is awesome, along with the rest.

Strangely, I kind of agree what the fans though about Against. It doesn't do much for me. Some of the other stuff like Dante were good but I just never go back to it much.

This all inspired me to buy their biography and I gotta say, music aside, I respect the hell out of a band that continously turns down huge sums of money and sticks with the guy that is largely considered responsible for their decreasing fame. It just made me more of a fan of their ethics and determination. Fast forward to Quadra and I'm finally a huge fan. The album is released and I truly feel it might be their best in their entire history. They then announce a tour with Sacred Reich, one of my favorite bands, and I'm in heaven.

Then covid hits.  :-\

Offline The Realm

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2023, 02:38:02 PM »
I am a huge old school Sepultura fan. At the time, 1989, there was huge buzz around Beneath the Remains so I went and bought it on cassette. This album blew me away and is probably still in my top 10 all time.

I also saw Sepultura live twice with the original line up on the Arise and Chaos AD tours and they are 2 of the best and most energetic and intense gigs I have ever been to, especially the Arise tour. That gig was insane. In the mid 90s this band really was something special.

However, they did lose me with Roots.

I have given Quadra and Machine Messiah a few spins and I do like them. I just am not a huge fan of Derrick Green's vocals but that is probably just me..

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2023, 02:52:05 PM »
Chaos AD was originally my favourite, and I still like it, but Arise has become my favourite album over the years. The riffs on that thing!

Beneath the Remains would be my #3. I like some of the stuff on Roots, and I appreciate it was a landmark album in moving metal forward, and influential on nu metal as well as incorporating new sounds into the genre. As a whole it's just not as good as the albums that came before it, for me.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2023, 03:10:40 PM »
Beneath the Remains is the equal of Reign in Blood as one of the greatest thrash albums ever recorded.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Realm

« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2023, 03:23:39 PM »
Beneath the Remains is the equal of Reign in Blood as one of the greatest thrash albums ever recorded.

Good call and totally agree.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
So I didn’t know what to buy at the music store today so I bought this:

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/sepultura/sepulnation-the-studio-albums-1998-2009/

Total waste of money or not?

Keep in mind I have absolutely nothing against groove metal or even nu metal.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 05:04:47 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2023, 06:50:15 PM »
Definitely some quality stuff. I'm a sucker for those huge album compilation packages

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2023, 07:05:00 PM »
Cool. I asked because all of those album are rated under 3/5 on Rate Your Music. But I love plenty of albums with sub-3/5 ratings.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2023, 10:18:14 AM »
I actually enjoyed Against when it first came out, and I still think it's pretty good.  Nation and Roarback are both not that great, but each has a few songs I can get down with.  Dante is where they started to turn it around, and I actually really like A Lex though more people prefer Dante overall.

Kairos - The Mediator - Machine Messiah - Quadra, these are all very solid albums that I enjoy a good bit.  I would say the last 2 especially (Machine and Quadra) can rival stuff from the pre-Roots Max era.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2023, 01:38:24 AM »
I went back and got Nation, which is awesome.

I agree. NO IDEA why that album is so hated.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2023, 03:25:18 PM »
I always felt "prog thrash" was really Metallica's ...And Justice for All.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2023, 02:50:49 PM »
I’m sitting in a pub in Frankfurt, Germany drinking Warsteiner pils and the place is playing Sepultura NON—STOP.  :metal This would never happen in America.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
I’m sitting in a pub in Frankfurt, Germany drinking Warsteiner pils and the place is playing Sepultura NON—STOP.  :metal This would never happen in America.

Man, this is why I’d wish we had access to working teleportation! Imagine, I could just tell my wife “I’m just off to drink German beer and listen to Sepultura with LudwigVan, I’ll be back in a few hours”. That sounds awesome though! They playing albums in full or just shuffling all their music?

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2023, 03:10:56 PM »

Man, this is why I’d wish we had access to working teleportation! Imagine, I could just tell my wife “I’m just off to drink German beer and listen to Sepultura with LudwigVan, I’ll be back in a few hours”. That sounds awesome though! They playing albums in full or just shuffling all their music?

That would be sweet!

It sounds as if they’re shuffling equal parts Arise, Chaos AD and Roots.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa