Author Topic: Nick D'Virgilio Leaves Spock's Beard  (Read 4693 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Nick D'Virgilio Leaves Spock's Beard
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
Yes, it's true:  https://www.ndvmusic.com

Not sure they can survive this.  But hopefully they can find a new vocalist and a new drummer and soldier on  :metal
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:53:02 PM by kirksnosehair »

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: Nick D'Virgillio Leaves Spock's Beard
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
Terrible news. NDV is one of my favorite drummers, a great singer and frontman, and a very good songwriter. I quite like all four NDV era albums. They could survive Neal leaving, but not this. Now the only two original members are Alan and Dave, because Ryo wasn't on The Light. ugh  :(

It's D'Virgilio (one L), btw.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nick D'Virgilio Leaves Spock's Beard
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
Thanks for correcting me on the spelling.  Yeah, this will be tough for them to survive I think.  In terms of percussion, I think Jimmy is quite capable, and he's a pretty good backing vocalist too, but they're going to need a very dynamic frontman, and from what I heard after the summer festival shows, Ted Leonard was described mostly as "meh" by the people at the gigs.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
Sad. With both Neal and Nick gone, I'm not sure where the songwriting would really come from if they continued. I really enjoyed his voice, too, so that'll be tough to replace.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 01:54:38 PM »
Wow, terrible news, but totally understandable. I wish both parties the best.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
While this sucks, it might not be as doom and gloom as people want to make it.  Jimmy fills in at drums, they find a new singer.  Ted Leonard is great, if he was off I would suspect it had more to do with lack of familiarity than talent.

The main songwriters post Neal are still there, as Boegehold and Ausmus have written most if not all of the songs from Feel Euphoria on.

Not terribly surprised though, NDV has a lot on his plate and SB wants to keep going.  An amiable break is much better than the alternative which we are familiar with...

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
The guys over at Prog Archives are discussing how it would be interesting if Neal went back to SB, and took Portnoy with him.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 01:59:19 PM »
Since I don't like Ted Leonard that much from his time in Enchant, I couldn't listen to a Spock's Beard with him fronting.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 02:00:42 PM »
The guys over at Prog Archives are discussing how it would be interesting if Neal went back to SB, and took Portnoy with him.
Oh boy, Spock's Beard with Cookie Monster.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
I guess he shaved..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
No no this is terrible! It was just today when I listened to SB and thought "Damn, Nick is really a great singer". And I've always loved his voice and the songwriting is also an obvious great thing about him. I don't know what will happen now...

NEAL BACK!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »
My day went from shitty to amazing finding out Devin Townsend just announced a show about an hour away from Me December 6th....

Then it went back to shitty reading this.  :( :( :(

I hope The Beard can survive. Neal, please take this as a sign.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 02:14:13 PM »
I wouldn't be catagorically opposed to Neal, and matter of fact I would love him coming back, but only under one crippling condition - he leaves the Christians stuff to his solo work.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
I wouldn't be catagorically opposed to Neal, and matter of fact I would love him coming back, but only under one crippling condition - he leaves the Christians stuff to his solo work.
Never gonna happen anyway.  But even if it did, Neal's religion seeps into everything he writes.  Even Transatlantic.  He can't help it.  It's who/what he is.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
My guess is that since it seems to be the SB guys who pressed the issue, they have someone in mind already and don't want to announce the new guy immediately to let the fans digest this news first.

Note to other bands, THIS is how you handle a lineup change.  Very classy NDV.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
Note to other bands, THIS is how you handle a lineup change.  Very classy NDV.

Yeah, this for sure.  Hope they can find what they need to continue, because all 10 albums are fantastic.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
 :sad:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 02:52:08 PM »
NDV is a class act.  They're going to continue, I've already talked to Dave and Ryo today.  No word yet on a replacement but stay tuned.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
Sad to hear.  I'm glad they will continue though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
Bummer, but not at all surprising.  Spock's simply isn't able to tour anymore (since who likes touring and losing money?), and NDV can't not take advantage of the opportunity right in front of him.  But hey, at least the last album they gave us with NDV, X, was a major winner; Jaws of Heaven and From the Darkness are easily two of the best songs the band ever did (from any lineup). 

Should be interesting to see who they get to replace him.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
Bummer, but not at all surprising.  Spock's simply isn't able to tour anymore (since who likes touring and losing money?), and NDV can't not take advantage of the opportunity right in front of him.  But hey, at least the last album they gave us with NDV, X, was a major winner; Jaws of Heaven and From the Darkness are easily two of the best songs the band ever did (from any lineup). 

Should be interesting to see who they get to replace him.

Agreed - X was a fantastic album, and what an album for him to leave on.

Anyone else think it interesting that SB's drummer leaves after their fantastic tenth album? Hmmm...  :lol

Anyways, I will still full-heartedly support this band as I love Al and Dave and Ryo, their music is just top-notch! I really hope the keep Jimmy on board and record the next album with him on drums and find a dedicated singer who can either play keys, guitar, or both on stage.

Looks like that SB Snow-Tour Reunion is looking less and less likely now...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
He should become a permanent member of Big Big Train. :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »
OK, I'm too lazy to find the thread, but let me go on record that I *totally* fucking called this one. To me it was clear as day when they had the ersatz-singer.

I say, good on him. I love SB to death, but they're done. The last album was the first really good post-Neal album,  but it was too little too late. In terms of his own career it's probably also good because I always thought he was somewhat held back by this dying endeavour. I am very interested in his solo stuff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 11:23:05 PM »
NDV is a class act.  They're going to continue, I've already talked to Dave and Ryo today.  No word yet on a replacement but stay tuned.

Damn it Barry your such an insider . . .  :P :tup :hefdaddy

I just wonder what's gonna happen, I do agree that Ted Leonard was kinda meh, but I suppose you could chalk that up to that fact that he doesn't have that gel factor. It would be cool to see Neal back in the mix, but like Barry said, the Christan influence would seep in a bit more then usual. (I'm of the opinion that it should stay with the solo stuff). Anyway here's to the future, good luck Beardies.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:28:13 PM by matt1722 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »
Unless they get a new frontman who is a songwriter and a major creative force, I think rumborak is probably right in that they are, for all intent and purposes, done.  Sure, they can get a new guy, pump out another album or two while using outside writers even more than they had in recent years, and maybe even throw in a few shows here and there, but that's about it.  Something tells me that an album without NDV or Neal Morse would be like Genesis' Calling All Stations, which ended their studio careers with a thud thanks to not having Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel around anymore.  I hope I am wrong, but I suspect I won't be.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:18 AM »
I am really surprised people even entertain the idea of Neal coming back. That's not gonna happen for a million years. Neal left for a reason, and that reason has not changed whatsoever.

I already called NDV's departure. I now call the follow-up of SB soon saying they quit altogether.

rumborak

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
Something tells me that an album without NDV or Neal Morse would be like Genesis' Calling All Stations, which ended their studio careers with a thud thanks to not having Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel around anymore.  I hope I am wrong, but I suspect I won't be.

SB always seems to have modeled their career after Genesis it seems. First vocalist and creative force leaves, drummer becomes vocalist, vocalist leaves. Let's hope they don't try out the Calling All Stations chapter.

rumborak

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 02:01:06 AM »
I am really surprised people even entertain the idea of Neal coming back. That's not gonna happen for a million years. Neal left for a reason, and that reason has not changed whatsoever.
It changed enough to let him do a Transatlantic album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 02:05:53 AM »
I do hope that they find someone really good and continue...

I was sad when I heard this.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 02:09:29 AM »
Ok, crazy scenario but...

Imagine Neal rejoins Spock's Beard. And then Neal brings Mr. Portnoy in on the drums as a replacement.

I know it's a long-shot, but I can dream can't I?  :biggrin:

EDIT: Wow, just saw someone already posted that. Amazing. Great minds think alike!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:38:02 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2011, 02:20:57 AM »
Ok, crazy scenario but...

Imagine Neal rejoins Spock's Beard. And then Neal brings Mr. Portnoy in on the drums as a replacement.

I know it's a long-shot, but I can dream can't I?  :biggrin:
Dream away, it may be their best shot, and I would be totally up for that.

Seriously, old SB (with Neal) is some of my favorite music ever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2011, 03:36:24 AM »
This would actually be a lot of fun.  ;D

I seriously doubt Neal would be into it, though... Can you link me to that Prog Archives thread, please? Because I can't find it myself.

The news still sucks, though. I'm incredibly grateful for having the opportunity to see Spock's beard live last year, and it was actually one of the best shows I've ever attended, believe it or not. Nick was a fabulous frontman, got everybody moving, he played and sang everything perfectly. It's such a shame that he can't pull it off anymore, but it's completely understandable - CDS is an incredible gig and he should definitely go for it. I wish him well.

As for the rest of the guys, full support! I hope they find the right guy. Actually, Jimmy could still play drums and perform backing vocals - they just need a kick-ass singer. So, fingers crossed and I can't wait to see where Alan, Ryo and Dave are gonna get.

Here's to a new Spock's beard line-up.  :heart
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:52:38 AM by Mladen »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2011, 05:52:45 AM »
Neal isn't coming back and they're not done.  I got another email from Dave this morning.  A very long one.  I can't go into too much detail, but they are definitely going to soldier on.  Most of the music on X was written by people who are going to write the music for the next album as well, so the departure of NDV has almost zero impact on the KIND and QUALITY of music they'll be writing.  I don't know if Jimmy Keegan will become their drummer or not, but if he does, he's definitely capable of playing all of the back catalog and any new stuff they come up with.  So, the search is on for a good, dynamic front man, but they are absolutely going to continue.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
Most of the music on X was written by people who are going to write the music for the next album as well, so the departure of NDV has almost zero impact on the KIND and QUALITY of music they'll be writing.

I tried stating that earlier in the thread and was roundly ignored because people continued to insist losing NDV was going to kill creativity.  Maybe someone else stating it will validate my point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
Having a different lead singer will hurt them much more than any loss in creativity.  I mean, how many bands have seen a third lead singer (not counting bands that featured multiple lead singers at the same time like Floyd, The Beatles, etc.) widely accepted by the fanbase?  Probably not many.  Maybe Sabbath.  Any others?  Not saying it can't happen, but the Spock's fanbase has already dwindled in recent years anyway, and while I think most who are still fans will give anything new they do a chance, they have a major hill to climb.  Spock's has such a unique sound, and the vocals have always been a big part of that.  When Neal left, NDV took over, and while it was different, his voice was already a part of the band since he was always a part of the harmonies and the occasional lead vocal (like Carie, Looking for Answers, etc.), but anyone else will be brand new and their voice will naturally be different, unless they go the Priest or Yes route and get someone who sounds a lot like Neal or NDV.