Author Topic: SOPA/"Protect IP" Act  (Read 25574 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: SOPA/"Protect IP" Act
« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2012, 07:55:43 PM »
I called a representative LIKE A BOSK

Tried to call 2 others but one's voicemail was full and the other line was busy.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
I agree with your assertions that a principled approach would be far more beneficial and that these mega-sites have clear business reasons to oppose SOPA/PIPA.

I still think what's happened is pretty good, though.

In some manner of speaking, I like what happened today too. It's a great showing of democracy, and a very interesting showing of the power of internet sites. It's just a shame that it feels like the majority of complaints made against SOPA are so lousy, and that a large amount of the fear involved is extremely conservative and self-interested (and I'm not talking about just the companies, but a lot of people who are against it). There's a long road between America and China, and there's two checks on congressional power that people are completely forgetting. Even if the worst of the fears about this law became law, I sorta highly doubt it would last long. I use today as proof, where sites simply changing themselves was enough to create a huge political event.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »
1. Google DOES make a shit-load of money from ads on sites like The Pirate Bay and RapidShare, etc.  That is a fact.

Huh? Just checking it now, TPB runs ads through Z5X, not Adsense, and Rapidshare doesn't even have ads.

OK, edited the original post and removed the specific names of sites.  The fact stands.  Google DOES earn money on ads placed on *some* websites that serve up pirated content.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2012, 06:44:32 AM »
Even if the worst of the fears about this law became law, I sorta highly doubt it would last long.

so what, they're just going to go through all this trouble of passing this law, and then just forget about it?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2012, 07:12:04 AM »
Today was nuts, right?

Google launched a petition.  Wikipedia voted to shut itself off.  Senators' websites went down just from the sheer surge of voters trying to write them.   NYC and SF geeks had protests that packed city blocks.

You made history today: nothing like this has ever happened before.  Tech companies and users teamed up.  Tens of millions of people who make the internet what it is joined together to defend their freedoms.  The free network defended itself.  Whatever you call it, the bottom line is clear: from today forward, it will be much harder to mess up the internet.

The really crazy part?  We might even win.

Approaching Monday's crucial Senate vote there are now 35 Senators publicly opposing PIPA.  Last week there were 5.   And it just takes just 41 solid "no" votes to permanently stall PIPA (and SOPA) in the Senate.  What seemed like miles away a few weeks ago is now within reach.

But don't trust predictions.  The forces behind SOPA & PIPA (mostly movie companies) can make small changes to these bills until they know they have the votes to pass.  Members of Congress know SOPA & PIPA are unpopular, but they don't understand why--so they're easily duped by superficial changes.  The Senate returns next week, and the next few days are critical.  Here are two things to think about:

1. Plan on calling your Senator every day next week.  Pick up the phone each morning and call your Senators' offices, until they vote "no" on cloture.  If your site participated today, consider running a "Call the Senate" link all next week. 

2. Tomorrow, drop in at your Senators' district offices.  We don't have a cool map widget to show you the offices nearest you (we're too exhausted! any takers?).  So do it the old fashioned way: use Google, or the phonebook to find the address, and just walk in, say you oppose PIPA, and urge the Senator to vote "no" on cloture.  These drop-in visits make our spectacular online protests more tangible and credible. 

That's it for now. Be proud and stay on it!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2012, 11:27:10 AM »
Even if the worst of the fears about this law became law, I sorta highly doubt it would last long.

so what, they're just going to go through all this trouble of passing this law, and then just forget about it?
No, the Supreme Court would slam it for the unConstitutional piece of crap that it is.  Checks and Balances.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »

No, the Supreme Court would slam it for the unConstitutional piece of crap that it is.  Checks and Balances.

Or this exact same public outcry would happen, except infinitely more intense, at the first signs of censorship. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »

Or this exact same public outcry would happen, except infinitely more intense, at the first signs of censorship.
Or both  :P

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:14 PM »

Or both  :P

Exactly. You see, the sorta good thing about slimy crappy politicians who are only interested in their career as a politician, means they can be sensitive to huge public pressure. A lot of sponsors of the bill have already pulled their support.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #220 on: January 19, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »
What are they being charged with? It's all user uploaded and they seem to comply with DMCA filings.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: January 19, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Not entirely sure, but apparently it's the result of a two year investigation.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 19, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »
https://www.theverge.com/2012/1/19/2719223/megaupload-criminal-copyright-justice-department-conspiracy

The United States Justice Department filed charges against MegaUpload today, calling the file-sharing service an "international organized criminal enterprise allegedly responsible for massive worldwide online piracy." Founder Kim Dotcom and three MegaUpload executives were arrested today in Auckland, New Zealand at the request of the US government under provisional arrest warrants, and the DOJ describes three other execs as "at large."

The complaint alleges that MegaUpload, founder Kim Dotcom, and his team are responsible for $175 million in "criminal proceeds" and "more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners." Specifically, Kim Dotcom and six of his executives are charged with running "the Mega conspiracy websites" under a business model "expressly designed to promote uploading of the most popular copyrighted works." The DOJ also says MegaUpload also developed its uploader rewards program as a means of laundering money.

The complaint charges Dotcom, his executives, the MegaUpload Limited company and a second company called Vestor Limited which Dotcom used to shield his personal assets. Specifically, the charges are:

engaging in a racketeering conspiracy
conspiring to commit copyright infringement
conspiring to commit money laundering
two substantive counts of criminal copyright infringement
The DOJ has also issued more than 20 search warrants in the US and eight other countries, seized more than $50m in assets in the US, Netherlands, and Canada, and seized more than 18 domain names associated with MegaUpload. The investigation was led by the FBI with broad international assistance from New Zealand, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, the UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, and the Philippines.

The charges and the arrests come just a few weeks after MegaUpload itself filed suit against Universal Music Group for having a controversial promotional video featuring Kanye West, will.i.am, and other celebrities pulled from YouTube — it appears that battle was just a minor skirmish before a much broader international war. The enforcement effort also comes just one day after the internet community launched massive protests against the proposed Stop Online Piracy Act in the United States, a law which would grant the government the ability to block sites like MegaUpload from the US internet. While SOPA has been tabled for the moment, the MegaUpload case should prove to be a flashpoint for the issue in the months to come: both an example of how large the claimed piracy problem has become and how the US can already enforce its laws with broad international support. Get ready for a ride.

Update: Rick Shera, a New Zealand-based attorney, reports on Twitter that Kim Dotcom's mansion is blockaded by police at all entrances. No escaping this one, it seems.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: January 19, 2012, 03:02:54 PM »
I read that in response hackers shutdown DOJ website?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
:|

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #225 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
Sounds like more than just SOPA related shit.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »

As badass as it is, I feel that pulling shit like that will ultimately be detrimental to the cause of preventing things like this from happening in the future. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
Yup.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
shit's gettin' real yo
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
This is hilarious.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »

It's not SOPA related at all as far as I can tell.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2012, 04:37:03 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike

Update: Anonymous says they've also knocked off the RIAA's site—looks down for us at the moment as well.

Update 2: Universal Music Group has also fallen off an e-cliff.

Update 3: Goodbye for now, MPAA.org.

Update 4: Affected sites are bouncing in and out of life, and are at the very least super slow to load. Anon agents are currently trying to coordinate their DDoS attacks in the same direction via IRC.

Update 5: The US Copyright Office joins the list.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
Oh dear. I hope this doesn't get too out of control.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Hope DTF isn't next :p

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »

As badass as it is, I feel that pulling shit like that will ultimately be detrimental to the cause of preventing things like this from happening in the future.

Seriously.  They think they're flexing their muscles and showing off how cool they are, but all they're really doing is providing more and more reasons to police the internet.  It's like responding to increased airport security by hijacking a plane: ha ha, very funny, but you just made the problem that much worse. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »
 :omg:

Update 9: Major record label BMI is down for the count.

Update 10: La résistance est international—French copyright authority HADOPI bites the dust under Anon pressure.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »

I don't know why but the fact that you never get to see him sit down on the chair has always really bothered me.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:40 PM »

I don't know why but the fact that you never get to see him sit down on the chair has always really bothered me.
great now it's actually starting to bother me a bit lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2012, 06:39:48 PM »

Course it's not SOPA related... SOPA isn't even a law yet.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »

Yet? I thought it got totally blocked already?

And yeah, a quick look at Extra Credits who've been following everything says that Megaupload is gone via DMCA. Damn shame though, I'm gonna miss Megavideo (assuming they're included in this packaged deal).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2012, 07:00:23 PM »

Yet? I thought it got totally blocked already?

Bad choice of words, just meant it's not law.

I mean, I do have some issues with this takedown myself. They'll still have a chance to prove their case in court, but I'm not sure arresting them before hand, and shutting down the site, without due process, is in order. That's really my main beef with SOPA too, but it's almost more systemic in our current judicial system. I remember Dominique-Strauss Kahn, when that scandal broke, got arrested because charges were brought up against him, but then everything dissolved into nothing. I think the French were right to complain about our current order of things.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:22:27 PM by Scheavo »

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »

same bro
we're a high-profile target.

this site contains music experts from all over the world.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2012, 06:17:38 AM »
If Megaupload was taken down by existing laws they must have pretty good evidence that they were in violation of existing laws. Meaning they were asked to take something down by a person who could prove they have a copyright on the material and they didn't do it in a timely manner (whatever is allowed by law). Sucks, but when you run a site that is probably 50% or more used for uploading copyrighted material, it's really only a matter of time before this happens.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »

You shut your mouth!