Author Topic: Progressive Nation coming back?  (Read 3943 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Progressive Nation coming back?
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »
As I recall,  PN didn't even sell as well as DT's recent solo gig here (in the same venue).  There are a couple of venues here that would work for it,  but I don't think a package deal pulling in 1k people tops is going to work too well.  The way it seems to me,  outside of the top markets,  adding bands to the bill doesn't sell any more tickets since they're hitting the same audience.  The people who care enough to go see Bigelf were probably already going to see Transatlantic or Opeth anyway. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Isn't it obvious that he's gonna have Metallica/Lou Reed headline?

WHAT COULD BE MORE PROGRESSIVE

Offline Knguro

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
DUH :lol

Shiiiiiiiit :facepalm:*feeling stupid now*

By the way I would kill to see Chromatic Chimera live.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 09:22:14 PM »
people wouldn't have had a problem with it if dt did their own bc&sl tour first. i remember people waiting till they did
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:50 PM »
people wouldn't have had a problem with it if dt did their own bc&sl tour first. i remember people waiting till they did

Yep. A lot of people weren't willing to pay the same money for less DT plus a couple of bands they didn't really care for. A lot of people took for granted that DT would be back for solo shows, so gave it a miss.

The problem is, DT were the main drawcard to get enough people to see the smaller bands that weren't known.  Without DT, you'd either have just a bunch of smaller bands that won't be big enough to get a promoter, or you'd need to have a band big enough that wouldn't need to do this kind of show. And there probably aren't a lot of bands in the genre to choose from that are big enough to carry this kind of show.

IIRC, the PN shows weren't particularly profitable at all. Without DT, nobody would back it, and rightly so.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
I agree blob. People need to listen to more bands then maybe we can have this type of tour hit the states
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 11:29:41 PM »
The problem is that the bands that can draw and that would be best suited for this, can tour on their own and fill up the same-size venues that PN did before, so doing PN would be a step down for them, from a touring and monetary standpoint.  The genre itself simply isn't big enough from a drawing standpoint to be profitable.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »
The problem is with prog, no one wants to see a shortened set of all these bands.  We would all rather pay money and go see each band do a headlining concert individually.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2011, 10:53:02 AM »
By the way I would kill to see Chromatic Chimera live.

They often close their shows with it. :metal

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2011, 01:06:23 PM »
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.  Maybe it wouldn't be on such a large scale as the prior Prog Nation tours, but small bands tour in groups of three or four all of the time.  People seem to be approaching this with the attitude of "It must sell 5,000 tickets or not work at all".  They could just play smaller venues.  Sure, it probably wouldn't bring in as much as a DT tour or a DT-anchored Prog Nation, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work at all.  They might bring in less money, but the costs would probably be smaller as well.  I mean, if Transatlantic headlined for example, their stage setup and equipment is significantly less than that of DT, so they're probably need fewer trucks, a smaller crew, etc.  I think this could work perfectly fine if planned correctly.

And I think it should definitely include The Dear Hunter :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 04:52:38 AM »
IIRC, the PN shows weren't particularly profitable at all. Without DT, nobody would back it, and rightly so.
Yeah they weren't profitable for DT because they had to pay the three support bands. There's no reason the tour as a whole couldn't be profitable though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.