Author Topic: Presidiential candidates quiz  (Read 6117 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Presidiential candidates quiz
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
It's not single-party, but it's certainly not good either. It used to be non-partisan, organized by the Women's League of Voters, but they at some point pulled out because the parties were undermining it to the point where the WLV said it was "fraud to the voter".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but how is that like a single party system? Isn't the point of that that both sides of the political spectrum are represented?

Because choosing whose in the debates allows you to control who gets elected. You don't see how that's fraught with danger?

Oh, and to be clear, I'm not saying it is a single party system. I said without our two party system wanting to be a single party system.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2011, 05:16:21 PM »
That's not too surprising. They are the gatekeepers; they get to shape the terms of the debate and control who is heard.

Offline jsem

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but how is that like a single party system? Isn't the point of that that both sides of the political spectrum are represented?

Because choosing whose in the debates allows you to control who gets elected. You don't see how that's fraught with danger?

Oh, and to be clear, I'm not saying it is a single party system. I said without our two party system wanting to be a single party system.
This is true. It's so difficult to get on the ballot for different parties. If people actually had a choice in voting, more than 60-70% would easily switch parties. I'm confident of that.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
It's not single-party, but it's certainly not good either. It used to be non-partisan, organized by the Women's League of Voters, but they at some point pulled out because the parties were undermining it to the point where the WLV said it was "fraud to the voter".

rumborak

It was changed in the mid 90's after Perot scared the shit out of the establishment. I remember him calling them out on it in his '96 campaign.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again