Author Topic: Once Upon a Time (T.V Show)  (Read 3853 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Once Upon a Time (T.V Show)
« on: November 14, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »
Is anyone watching this? It's a pretty neat idea and well executed to far.
Yesterday the misses dragged me to find a new show that we can both like and watch together, I saw the first 4 episodes of Terra Nova and 3 of Once Upon a Time. I chose the second one.
Only 4 episodes aired so far, the forth was last night.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_(TV_series)
Check it out, it's worth it. First non-comedy T.V show that interests me since Battlestar Galactica.

EDIT: Some previews:
https://youtu.be/wXeHUE7gxq8
https://youtu.be/MwbfEOxdouI

One of the main attractions of this show is Robert Carlyle, a Scottish actor that I found very talented and been a fan of for a couple years now. Here he is talking about the show's plot https://youtu.be/WR8wAgqgcnE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 02:09:40 AM by metty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
Re: Once Upon a Time (T.V Show)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
Yeah, my son and I love it! I don't hear anyone talking about it, but I hope it stays around for a while.
I was watching the CMA awards, and 2 of the actors from it were presenters; they introduced them as 'stars of the new smash hit 'Once Upon a Time'. I don't know if that's something they always do, or if it is getting good ratings
Definitely a great show. We have the last 2 episodes to watch yet.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 03:15:20 PM »
I should have done some research before I posted. It looks like it's going well.
https://www.deadline.com/2011/11/ratings-rat-race-once-upon-a-time-still-strong-desperate-housewives-rises/

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
Sweet, I really like it. I hope it keep doing good.
Thought that promo pic was really clever with respect to the plot:

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
Very cool pic. Thanks for sharing it!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
You're very welcome :)
It's just you and I so far but we'll be able to discuss the next episode and remind each other of air dates!
Next episode airs November 27.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
I'm TOTALLY digging on this show, and loving a lot of the LOST references in it (the two big ones I remember are the black smoke and the Storybrooke clock stopping at 8:15).  Also glad that they were approved for at least a full season.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
Yeah, it's not like any other show I've seen. And I know the next episode is on the 27th, but we dvr everything we watch, and there's no telling when we'll watch it.  ;)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 08:58:48 PM »
I'm enjoying this show too, especially for it's originality. There are too many procedural crime dramas on thse days, so it's nice to see something completely different.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 02:42:13 PM »
So far this show is pretty good. I wasn't very amused by the pilot but I thought there was a lot of potential. This past weeks episode was very good, very lost esque with the character development.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 09:35:50 PM »
Just saw Sunday's episode, I liked it a lot but again Robert Carlyle stands out as the most impressive actor on the show and that woman from House is the worst.

Offline 2Timer

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 04:10:14 PM »
Agreed about Rumplestiltskin. Just an amazing character, and great casting to use him.  I'm not a good judge as to who is a bad actor, so I can't agree with you on Emma, but I do think she's hot.
My son and I are loving the show, but my wife isn't into it for some reason.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
Rumplestiltskin is delightfully creepy. I really like the wicked queen/Thomas' adoptive mother character too.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »
My sis and mom love it. I watch it with them for the pop corn  :hefdaddy
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
Rumplestiltskin is delightfully creepy. I really like the wicked queen/Thomas' adoptive mother character too.

HENRY'S adoptive mother, you mean?

Yeah, good old Rumple has his fingers into pretty much every single pot on this show so far.  He's such a devious thing.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »

Uh, yup, that's what I meant. As I typed Thomas I thought to myself "is that his name?"  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 11:13:05 PM »

Yeah, good old Rumple has his fingers into pretty much every single pot on this show so far.  He's such a devious thing.

Im really digging his character as well, I keep anticipating him making a deal for his magic, seems like he has a deal with everyone.

Im pretty sure they cracked open a bottle of McCutchen, a nice reference to Lost.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 05:21:39 AM »
I haven't been posting in this thread cause I've always been at least 3 episodes behind on the show but I still watched it.
I gotta say it got much better towards the second half of the season and I realize now that this season has been written before it started airing, I previously had the impression that the writers were making it up as they go as the overall felt really random and rather chaotic.
I have one episode left and be done with season one. The strings have come together nicely and it was really cool to see these takes on Pinocchio, Red Riding Hood, the Hatter  and even Jiminy Cricket.
I surprisingly enjoyed the touching love story between the blue fairy and the dwarf in fairyland and their nun and town drunk counterparts in Storybrooke.
The cast has been getting better performance wise and the additions/guest stars have been decent. Still notable to mention that Robert Carlyle is keeping up an amazing job and so is the queen. Also the kid playing Henry is great for his age.
Only thing that severely drags this show behind is unforgettably the awful cast of the central character of Emma, the woman from House is just a plain horrific actress, it's sometimes painful to watch her reactions and I remain hoping she doesn't have to portray any scenes of high emotional content cause she completely disconnects me with her bad acting, which has been getting worse towards the end of the season, episode 20 had the character in a dilemma of choices and her acting has been too shitty and not even in a funny way heh
Will watch the finale soon and looking forward to knowing how they will manage to expand that plot for another season.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 05:51:44 AM »
I thought the first few and the last few episodes were really good. The middle episodes were fairly boring to me. I'm curious to see how this goes on since it got renewed for another season.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
Second season is pretty interesting, I expected the writers to be lost for the next step after the spell was broken but it's been good so far, we'll see where it goes.
The actress playing Emma is still the weakest thing about this show.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »
Second season is pretty interesting, I expected the writers to be lost for the next step after the spell was broken but it's been good so far, we'll see where it goes.

What? How about almost every other actor? I mean seriously, the chick playing Regina is good and Robert Carlyle is amazing, but everyone else is terrible.

I seriously almost stopped watching  the show just because of Mulan. She is by far the most obvious "I got the job by fulfilling someone's asian fantasy" chick.

Edit: I think it was Superdude who said it best (though I may be wrong) with something like.....I keep watching this show, but I am not completely sure why.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:29:11 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:53 AM »
I disagree but I understand where you're coming from. I think the actors playing Prince Charming and Snow white are efficient for their extra righteous dreamy nature of the fairy tale world and I think that comes out as bad acting most of the time if you're not totally into the idea.
But otherwise as you said Robert Carlyle is amazing and is the main reason I started watching the show in the first place, my main indicator the evil queen is doing a great acting job is that she turns me on like there's no tomorrow, evil female characters often do. The girl playing Red Riding Hood also gives me extreme tinkles in the winkles but that's actually not related to her character or performance, the girl is just flamin.
The guy playing the mad hatter is actually very good as well, he hasn't been featured as often but I like his acting and hope we'll see more of him.
I never had an Asian fantasy so I didn't get that same kick out of Mulan but good for you :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
I disagree but I understand where you're coming from. I think the actors playing Prince Charming and Snow white are efficient for their extra righteous dreamy nature of the fairy tale world and I think that comes out as bad acting most of the time if you're not totally into the idea.
But otherwise as you said Robert Carlyle is amazing and is the main reason I started watching the show in the first place, my main indicator the evil queen is doing a great acting job is that she turns me on like there's no tomorrow, evil female characters often do. The girl playing Red Riding Hood also gives me extreme tinkles in the winkles but that's actually not related to her character or performance, the girl is just flamin.
The guy playing the mad hatter is actually very good as well, he hasn't been featured as often but I like his acting and hope we'll see more of him.
I never had an Asian fantasy so I didn't get that same kick out of Mulan but good for you :lol

Oh yea I forgot about the Mad Hatter, he isn't bad either. And I'll give you Snow, she could be better, but is fine.

And while I do have an Asian fantasy myself, I was just pointing out that she's more likely the kind of actress who got the job by sleeping with someone because she is a truly terrible actress.

And Charming is awful too.

However, I will agree with you on Red. I preferred her more last season with the red in her hair, but god damn I'd hit that till she howls.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »
If you're on the topic of acting... Hurley from Lost as the giant lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

Yea....that was awful. It proves that the only thing important to the.....whoever is making these decisions, is looks.

They are lucky as hell they got Regina and Gold or else the show would be C grade fan fiction.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 07:43:38 AM »

Yea....that was awful. It proves that the only thing important to the.....whoever is making these decisions, is looks.

They are lucky as hell they got Regina and Gold or else the show would be C grade fan fiction.

I know there is an association between the people behind lost and the people behind once upon a time.  There are tons of references to lost in the show such as the Apollo bars shown in the last episode, and the obvious inclusion of the actors in small roles.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »
That's because some of the writers/etc. who worked on Lost are now working on Once Upon a Time.

I personally don't care if people think the actors besides Lana Parilla (Regina) and Robert Carlyle are shit - I think the show is pretty damn good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
I find the show to be up and down.  Sometimes this season, things have gotten really cheesey. But the show then redeems itself with say a rumplestiltskin episode that is badass.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Well, the slower episodes are set-ups for future ones.  Happened in Lost, too, and it's also currently happening here and in American Horror Story.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 06:58:20 PM »

What? How about almost every other actor? I mean seriously, the chick playing Regina is good and Robert Carlyle is amazing, but everyone else is terrible.

I seriously almost stopped watching  the show just because of Mulan. She is by far the most obvious "I got the job by fulfilling someone's asian fantasy" chick.

Edit: I think it was Superdude who said it best (though I may be wrong) with something like.....I keep watching this show, but I am not completely sure why.

Yes, it was me. I ended up giving up halfway through the first season. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 07:06:41 PM »
Gotta say that the scene where The Hook and Emma fought against The Giant was pretty laughable. It doesn't give me the realistic feeling. Effects are mostly terrible. But still it's kinda interesting to watch, its fiction is well-written and they joint every fairytale beautifully.

Have to say that, The Hook is damn hot.  :lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2016, 02:06:59 PM »
Adami I'm here to say you were right about the awful actors.
I stopped watching this show halfway through season 2, it's a true piece of shit, Carlyle kept me watching for as long as he could but there's only so much he can do to keep my interest with these piss script and shit acting from everybody else.
Usually once I like a show I stick with it until it's done so this clusterfuck of a shit show is unique that way to make me stop watching heh
The reason I'm reminded of this is my wife soldiered through and last night I saw her watching something from season 5 and it was still awfully scripted and horribly acted.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
I enjoy it still. Rumpelstiltskin is still my favorite character. His eccentricities when he is playing the Enchanted Forest version of his character is great. However, I do think some of the story lines could have been written better. I wasn't that crazy about the Underworld scenes in Season 5. Now, they're branching out to the Land of Untold Stories, as the last episode of season included Jekyll and Hyde.

I don't think the acting is as bad as you're describing it, except for Henry. I don't think that kid is good at all. They probably used him because he was a cute kid and would gave some charm to the show, but as he gets older, all of that has faded. There are a few others who aren't that good as well but Jennifer Morrison, Lana Parrilla, and Ginnifer Goodwin are all great actresses.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »
Like I said Carlyle drew me into the show but he was carrying way too much of the weight for me to keep going just for him, the scripts and the plot lines are just awful after season 1. And it kinda makes sense cause I remember while watching season 1 I was thinking "this should probably be a series event and not a continuing series" cause I didn't see them sustaining it after the characters in the town found out the big secret and I didn't see them moving ahead with that secret remaining so.
Jennifer Morrison is horrendous IMO, she was horrendous on House M.D and she's still so here. I made excuses for Snow White and Prince Charming years ago in this thread but it just doesn't hold long term at all. The evil queen was decent but then she fast became redundant.
Henry worked for me as a kid in the first season. I saw -on that recent episode I caught a bit of last night- that he's gotten the growth spurt and the older version of him is just awkward and odd.
The only thing that bothers me about this show's continuation is that I feel Carlyle can do such great things but being tied up here, I see him having his own show and receiving more acclaim for his talents.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 03:56:47 PM »
Well we obviously disagree for the most part.   ;)