Author Topic: Interesting interview with Dominici regarding his time in DT  (Read 10860 times)

Offline SlickSy

Re: Charlie Dominici: 'Being In Dream Theater Was A Slave Gig'
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Am I the only one who just had his eyes killed by that site?

Nope, me too. White text on black background is an awful colour contrast for a website. I now have the webpage burned onto my retinas. :|
Quote from: Mikael Åkerfeldt
We are heavy metal... but with some beautiful acoustic parts. Some people say that's pussy. Those are the people that get no pussy.

Offline charliedominici

• Forum VIP
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
Heeeeyy...c'mon guys..isn't the "Charlie bashing" really the thing that is getting old?  lol
If you don't like my voice r my work that's fine. Please don't attack me personally when you don't really know me at all.

I am not a control freak, my comment about wishing I could say I wrote charts for my band was "tongue in cheek". If you want to know what I am really like a a person, if it matters that much to you that you want to create an image of me for others to believe, then why don't you talk to someone that actually knows me, instead of someone who has not accomplished much more in life than bashing others on web forums. Others that have done more in their lives than the basher ever will.

Really getting old.

As for my trilogy being "unnoticed"  wouldn't that be an oxy moron? after all, YOU are all still talking about it.  =)

To those of you that show the insight to defend me, thanks but it's not necessary, after all the internet has made it so that any 10 yr old with a keyboard and mouse can be a music and art crirtic! Even those who might only be mentally 10 yrs old.. lol  knock yourself out, Rumborak!

Dream theater are my family and will ALWAYS be my brothers. I have no intention of throwing any bad light on them neither during my time in the band or now and in the future.
My comments were simply the truth.
It was hard for me to bring to the band every night what they needed, mainly because my life at the time was in shambles. I had a drug problem,alcohol problem, my GF left me and I was physically and spiritually weak.

Actually I think I did pretty well, considering all of of that. For the record I am proud of my time with DT, difficult or not.

Finally let me say that unlike many other music artists that are in the public eye, I actually care about what people are saying about me. This is mainly because of the type of person I am. I'm compassionate and caring.Mainly to animals for reasons that become even more painfully obvious when I read shit like this. I love my fans. I love interacting with them personally.I go out of my way to talk to them,answer their emails, even had a few sleep on my couch when they were down and out.
So if it gives you pleasure to bash me, knock yourself out. Just don't call me when you need a friend....Well, ok you can call me but I will probably give you a scolding along with the help!  =)
Peace- and please at least TRY to enjoy what I've recorded, after all it was created for you.   :metal
"I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band"
Moody Blues

Offline charliedominici

• Forum VIP
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
By the way, I will be attending the DT show in San Diego Dec 1st if anyone wants to get any WDADU or DOMINICI stuff autographed!  =) :metal
Moody Blues

Offline WhatsAnOwlVent

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
By the way, I will be attending the DT show in San Diego Dec 1st if anyone wants to get any WDADU or DOMINICI stuff autographed!  =) :metal

I'd have you sign my copy of '03' if the show weren't so far away.

:coolio

Offline johncal

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
Charlie, I can't believe that you'd let this get under your skin. Get over it! You're the one that said "slave gig" and that any singer in the band would just be a hired gun. I'm sure James would disagree. Guys are going to respond to that type of talk. Sour grapes taste bad, I'd avoid them. Besides they make your face look puckered.   :D :chill

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
Charlie I can bash you and you'll still help me if I need something like a new battery while I'm stranded on the highway or $6 to get lunch next Sunday?

<3 you Charlie

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
Charlie --

I just admire the fact that you pretty much gave up whatever you had to follow your muse and you just tell it like it is (and have since you left).

That's not meant to defend you or bash you. I admire those qualities in anyone.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2011, 08:18:58 PM »
Some people in this thread are totally immature.  First of all, when Charlie was in the band, it MIGHT have been a, "slave gig."  Maybe when LaBrie got in the band, they let him have more control or matured as people (the other guys in DT, I mean).  But, maybe it WAS a slave gig.  Charlie's entire point - the important part of the whole damn interview - was that it was DT's first "real" experience and he had already been around the block and both parties realized that IT WAS NOT WORKING.  THAT is the important  part.  So, you people want to take dumb little phrases and make controversy out of them..... seriously, shut up.  It's annoying. 

And, this is the first time I've ever defended Charlie Dominici.  I don't know him, he might be a complete asshole for all I know.  But, there was NOTHING wrong with that interview and I think people need to stop taking it out of context.  It's almost like people get off at taking shots at him because, "he's not in DT anymore and they can" or something.  At least the guy was ON a DT album.  What DT albums have you guys been on?

Oh, that's right - NONE!  :lol
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2011, 08:32:26 PM »
My copy of O3 Part 1 is signed by him with a personal message, so he'll always be awesome in my book.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2011, 11:33:15 PM »
At least the guy was ON a DT album.  What DT albums have you guys been on?

Oh, that's right - NONE!  :lol

As a matter of fact, I made platform shoes out of my DT discography. So, sorry to disappoint you, but I'm on every single DT album.

rumborak
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:41:13 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 02:25:50 AM »
How come Sherinian is the only ex-member who never says anything negative about critical fans?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:28:51 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 02:27:14 AM »
KM did?

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 02:29:12 AM »
No he just pretends we don't exist.

Can't believe I forgot about him though  :facepalm:

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2011, 06:38:28 AM »
I don't know if you're still reading this Charlie, but I love your DOMINICI stuff.  :metal

Best of luck to you.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2011, 06:51:12 AM »
How come Sherinian is the only ex-member who never says anything negative about critical fans?

i'll go out on a limb here and say i never thought DS took DT as seriously as the other guys...

Offline charliedominici

• Forum VIP
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
Hey, I was having a shitty day yesterday..sorry  lol. Actually I had a shitty weekend. My motorcycle was in parts in my garage after I had spent 4 hours pushing it around and up hills trying to pop the clutch. Finally I fixed the problem but it left me worn out and frustrated. So when I got this google alert that you guys were talking about me and I guess I kinda got pissed. OK. Here's some real chatter. First of thanks, for some of these replies, some are very insightful (snake eyes) and yes I would help you, Jamesman even tho you got into it with me in the forum (dominici) about how blasphemous my trilogy ending was (btw..the idea of aliens being the creators of man is not anti-god it just suggests that god is a lot older and much more far reaching than most people think. IE: He may have created aliens too).Or maaaaaybe...the whole thing was a staged hoax by the gov't using reverse engineered alien technology to create fear in the people and have excuse to wipe out the population leaving only the elite to enjoy the spoils...hmmmm. I've seen many comments from people about a lot of things regarding my trilogy sounding like we copied DT. Funny I never knew you could "copy" a sound that you were a part of creating in the first place. That said, I found it a compliment,actually, that out  30 songs, only one (the calling ) was even remotely similar to a DT song. When I read this comment I must tell you I personally had not idea what "honor thy father" even sounded like. I wasn't really listening to entire DT albums back then,just had a few favorites on the TOT and that song was not one of them.  Same is true for my guys in my band. When I did a side by side comparison, I noticed a similarity. It was in the same key(D) and had a syncopated intro like HTF but the riffs,verses,chorus,solos, lyrics,etc were all totally different. Hmmm
more chatter:  Anyone is welcome to like or not like my work..after all that's why they make vanilla AND chocolate, right? As for the trilogy going relatively unnoticed, nothing could please me more. It's a proof positive indication that we made an original statement in the music world that was and still is out of the realm of commonly accepted artistic works.
If I wanted to be successful more than I wanted to create art, I would have made a more commercial sounding record with 3 minutes songs about love and heartbreak.
Don't be afraid to criticize me I'm not really all that sensitive usually, just had a really bad day!
I leave you with my 2 favorite qutes:
"Never moon a werewolf"   and " Don't cook bacon naked"
Finally, yes I wasn't really into prog until Majesty, I don't know anyone in prog that was "born" with a prog spoon in their mouth either. Holy prog,Batman.., Portnoy used to play Beatles songs before Rush and Genesis came out!  =)

Bye! :metal
Moody Blues

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Holy shitty website layout batman

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
1. This thread title is completely misleading and is going to be changed.

2. Charlie's O3 work is awesome and anyone who simply dismisses it is without hearing it is doing themselves a disservice. (A slightly less objective point than #1)

3. I actually found many parts of the interview relating to DT to be pretty informative.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Interesting interview with Dominici regarding his time in DT
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
Man I love it when the actual person shows up to straighten things out  :rollin Good on ya, Charlie.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jay.Ess

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
Charlie  :metal

Dream Theater fans: Always sensationalising every aspect of interviews and taking phrases out of context. Who cares? Just enjoy the music  :tup

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »
BTW, why is Hungary a less-than-desirable location? From what I know it's a pretty cool place.

rumborak
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:02:38 PM by rumborak »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2011, 04:08:07 PM »
lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.