Official DT Top 50 Thread Mark II (bss4life15 up now - starting page 79)

Started by hefdaddy42, November 12, 2011, 04:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mladen

Great songs, duh!

The lyrics in ITNOG are fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Lolzeez

Mind Trail

Learning to Live deserves its spot, I'd just put In the Name of God a little lower, but it definitely rocks!

SomeoneLikeHim

I guess ACOS and metropolis are two of the songs left but I really don't know what the other two might be. I feel like it should be obvious.

Zydar

Mind Trail

Jaffa

Interesting guesses.   :D

04. Scene Two: Overture 1928/Strange Déjà Vu
It's often been said that Scenes from a Memory is an album where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  Well, Scene Two is the pinnacle of that sentiment.  Overture 1928 and Strange Déjà Vu are beautiful together.  In fact, in my opinion, no other two songs in the history of music have ever complemented each other as well as these two do.  I never listen to one without the other.  As such, I basically consider them one song.

I don't know how to explain what makes the song so special for me.  I mean, musically, there are plenty of things I love – the fact that the Overture contains bits of some of the best riffs and melodies of other songs on the album, the seamless transitions between various moments, the frantically energetic moment that is the beginning of Strange Déjà Vu, the ridiculously infectious chorus, and a host of other things – but really, my love affair with Scene Two is more about the feeling it gives me.

I don't really know how to explain that feeling, though.  It's passionately, intensely carefree.  I don't know how something can be both intense and carefree, but it is.  The song is peaceful, but in a very exciting way.  It's comforting, but also feels edgy at times.  It's very relaxing, but also very energetic.  And yes, I know it sounds like I'm talking nonsense, but I'm actually being quite literal.  This song can help me relax to fall to sleep, but it can also help me get pumped up to exercise.  Don't ask me how that works, but it does. 

Scene Two never fails to draw me in and take me on a musical journey, a ride I treasure every moment of.  Scene Two is eight minutes and forty-nine seconds of musical bliss. 

Bottom line is, I think this pair of songs are perfect together, and form an absolutely wonderful piece of music. 

03. Metropolis Part 1: 'The Miracle and the Sleeper'
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but in mine, no DT fan's top ten list would be complete without Metropolis.  This song is arguably the quintessential Dream Theater song.  It showcases everything that makes Dream Theater who they are.  Unique intro?  Check.  Tasty riffs?  Check.  Powerful drumming?  Check.  Great bass work?  Check.  Excellent keyboard instrumentation?  Check.  Soaring vocals?  Check.  Long and winding instrumental section?  Check.  Cryptically poetic lyrics and memorable melodies?  Check.  So much so, in fact, that they felt the need to write an entire concept album expanding on these cryptic lyrics and memorable melodies.  And these lyrics and melodies are so good that even the concept album sequel went on to be a fan favorite.

This is a band-defining song for Dream Theater and, in my opinion, a genre-defining song for good progressive metal.   Without it, I might have never become the Dream Theater fan I am today, and I suspect the same applies to many other people.  It is truly a work of art. 

Simply glorious.

BlobVanDam

Again, I love both (or should I say 3, since that's how many you've chosen :biggrin: ), but probably not top 10 for me (definitely top 20 though, or maybe just within the top 10). Metropolis is amazing, and easily acceptable top 10 material, although TTT would easily beat it out for my top 10 spot (top 3 actually). I do adore Metropolis, there just happen to be more songs I enjoy. That's a testament to the strength of DT's music, and not a sign of any flaw in Metropolis, as that's a 9/10 song for me without question.
As for Overture/SDV, I absolutely love that 1-2 punch, one of their best, although as you said, I am one of those who is very much a believer that SFAM is greater than the sum of its parts. Nothing on SFAM would come close to my top 20, and yet it's my 2nd favourite DT album as a whole, because it is just such an immense joy to listen to from beginning to end.

theseoafs

Mladen

That's what I call a surprise. Everybody loves Overture 1928 and Strange deja vu, but I've never seen anyone put them in the top 5. Metropolis, on the other hand, should be two spots higher.  :tup

BlackInk

Metropolis is great, but not this great.

The other ones are interesting and pretty good, but not this good either.

Tomislav95

I'm very suprised to see Overture 1928/ Strange Deja Vu this high. But suprises you give us every day make your list great  :tup

Jaffa

The list so far:

50. Blind Faith
49. Forsaken
48. The Root of All Evil
47. Space-Dye Vest
46. Never Enough
45. The Killing Hand
44. This Dying Soul
43. Prophets of War
42. The Ytsejam
41. Pull Me Under
40. Endless Sacrifice
39. New Millennium
38. Panic Attack
37. As I Am
36. Wait For Sleep
35. On the Backs of Angels
34. The Mirror/Lie
33. One Last Time
32. Afterlife
31. Peruvian Skies
30. A Nightmare to Remember
29. Erotomania
28. Stream of Consciousness
27. Wither
26. These Walls
25. Finally Free
24. Surrounded
23. Trial of Tears
22. In The Presence of Enemies
21. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
20. Lines in the Sand
19. The Glass Prison
18. Octavarium
17. Breaking All Illusions
16. The Count of Tuscany
15. Home
14. Beneath the Surface
13. Voices
12. To Live Forever
11. Scarred
10. Misunderstood
9. Under a Glass Moon
8. Caught in a Web
7. Bridges in the Sky
6. In the Name of God
5. Learning to Live
4. Scene Two: Overture 1928/Strange Déjà Vu
3. Metropolis Part 1 – 'The Miracle and the Sleeper'
2. ???
1. ???

Anyone feel like speculating?   :D

(Note: if you already KNOW my number 1, which some of you do, please refrain from mentioning it)

BlackInk

Your number one must be Your Majesty....

Quote from: Jaffa on April 16, 2012, 11:42:56 AM
(Note: if you already KNOW my number 1, which some of you do, please refrain from mentioning it)

...oh.. sorry.

Mladen

A Change of seasons has to be one of the remaining two.

The other one... Take the time, maybe?

SomeoneLikeHim

Tomislav95

Quote from: Mladen on April 16, 2012, 11:53:37 AM
A Change of seasons has to be one of the remaining two.

The other one... Take the time, maybe?

Tomislav95

Mind Trail

Excellent. Outcry?  ::) There are a lot of good songs left and I guess there's only room for one more except "the obvious one" in your list. (I consider that to feature in any DT top 50).

Jarlaxle

Hopefully at the conclusion of this list I will no longer be the only only who hasn't had A Change of Seasons on their top 50

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Jarlaxle on April 16, 2012, 11:50:40 PM
Hopefully at the conclusion of this list I will no longer be the only only who hasn't had A Change of Seasons on their top 50

As delightfully unorthodox as Jaffa's list has been thus far, I'm betting it's going to end surprisingly predictable in that regard. But let's hope he has a real surprise in store. Come on Jaffa, don't disappoint us now!

SomeoneLikeHim

Is it wierd that these updates are like, the highlights of the day?  ;D

Jaffa

Quote from: SomeoneLikeHim on April 17, 2012, 05:19:41 AM
Is it wierd that these updates are like, the highlights of the day?  ;D

Probably, yeah, but I appreciate it.  :P

Quote from: BlobVanDam on April 16, 2012, 11:53:43 PM
Quote from: Jarlaxle on April 16, 2012, 11:50:40 PM

As delightfully unorthodox as Jaffa's list has been thus far, I'm betting it's going to end surprisingly predictable in that regard. But let's hope he has a real surprise in store. Come on Jaffa, don't disappoint us now!

Sorry, guys.  If it helps at all, ACoS is not my number one.

02. A Change of Seasons
I don't know that there's anything I can say about this song that hasn't been said a hundred times before.  I can tell you my personal favorite parts of it – for instance, I think that James' delivery of the line 'Seasons change and so can I' is among my favorite vocal moments of any song ever; and I think that the intro is one of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of music they've ever written, even if it is simple; I also love the way this song feels like a novel, taking me on a musical journey through wonderful emotions – but the fact of the matter is, if I were to list everything I liked about this song, the list would include every moment of the song.  So, while I should probably type a long and glowing testimonial for it, it being the penultimate song of my list and all, I'm not going to do that. 

We all know what we all love about this song.

Suffice to say, I believe A Change of Seasons is one of the true masterpieces of music. 

BlobVanDam

Well I guess that's some consolation. It wouldn't even be in my top 20. It's a great song, but really not that great imo.

Mladen

Awesome song is awesome.

Something tells me number one is gonna be quite a surprise.  ;D

Zydar

Quote from: Mladen on April 17, 2012, 07:16:50 AM
Awesome song is awesome.

+1

ACOS is great and would probably be in my Top 10.

Jaffa

Quote from: BlobVanDam on April 17, 2012, 07:15:22 AM
Well I guess that's some consolation. It wouldn't even be in my top 20. It's a great song, but really not that great imo.

If you like, I could edit my write-up to say, "We all (except BlobVanDam and Jarlaxle) know what we all (except BlobVanDam and Jarlaxle) love about this song."   :heart

Quote from: Mladen on April 17, 2012, 07:16:50 AM

Maybe.  I've been sorely tempted to post a joke #1 just to mess with everyone, but at this point I think I've decided not to. 

RuRoRul

Excellent choice  :tup It may be boring since it is many people's #1 and high up on most people's list, but it is with good reason.

If your #1 is what I think it is I will be pleased - wouldn't have it over ACOS but still.

BlackInk

alirocker08

Pols Voice

alirocker08

Mind Trail

Zydar