Official DT Top 50 Thread Mark II (bss4life15 up now - starting page 79)

Started by hefdaddy42, November 12, 2011, 04:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elite

Quote from: Nekov on January 02, 2012, 04:26:55 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 31, 2011, 03:03:07 PM

12. Hell's Kitchen

Many people view this as no more than a lead-in to Lines in the Sand, but it's a great instrumental in its own right.  Probably the best move that Kevin Shirley ever made was removing this section from Burning My Soul and telling DT that it was its own piece and should be developed as such.  It truly soars, with glorious themes.  It almost never gets played live, which is a shame.  Hopefully now that MP is gone, this will one day return to the live rotation.

I couldn't agree more. This is one of my top DT songs as well for being a magnificent piece of music.

It's their only instrumental that's in my top 10. Astonishing song, great to see some love for it :)

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 03, 2012, 08:57:47 AM
Quote from: Omega on January 02, 2012, 06:08:28 PM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 31, 2011, 06:55:46 AM
chock full of great music

You, uh, misspelled "cock"...  :|
:|

:lol
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

hefdaddy42

OK, people, we are now in rarified air, my Top 10 DT songs.  At this point, the songs are so close that it would be possible for the order to vary in some respects.  At any rate, here we go!

10. Octavarium

Yes I know that some fanboys will rage that it is so low.  But while it really captured me for some time, the passing of time and fresh perspectives have cast it in a somewhat different light for me.  Part of that is probably that they have ignored it live since the tour for that album (yes I know the ending was in Schmedley Wilcox on the following tour, but medleys don't count for me).  Still, this song is a stupendous achievement.  Their influences really show on this song, from the Floydian intro to the verbal shout-outs, and that glorious outro.  A fantastic, fantastic song.

9. Voices

Great music, fantastic lyrics.  Not sure what else anyone would want in a song.  This entire album represents the pinnacle of JP's lyrical prowess, and this song is a stellar example of that.  Religious symbolism mixed with schizophrenia, and that solo!

8. Blind Faith

I have loved, loved, LOVED this song since the first time I heard it.  JR is incredible on this one, especially on his piano interlude, and the unisons are amazing.  I absolutely love the writing on this one, as well as the lyrics again.  I know some people don't like the chorus, but it totally works for me.  However, for some reason, it doesn't seem to translate as well into a live performance as most of their other songs.  That's OK, I have the album version, which is impeccable.

7. Trial of Tears

One of the highlights of Falling Into Infinity, here is the first of 3 JM lyrical contributions in my Top 10.  From the ethereal intro, to the first words of JLB, to the instrumental section, to the amazing finale, the word that comes to mind here is "epic". 

6. Lines in the Sand

Again, an ethereal intro (leading from the monumental awesomeness of Hell's Kitchen), and on Falling Into Infinity - but there the similarities end.  Much like Take The Time, there is nothing else in DT's catalogue quite like this song.  It features expansive soundscapes, as well as funk, groove, technicality, and incredible solos.  Also, another example of stellar JP lyrics.  Plus, Doug Pinnick!  This song is just an absolute treasure.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Mladen

Quote from: bss4life15 on January 07, 2012, 05:33:12 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 07, 2012, 05:22:44 AM
6. Lines in the Sand
8. Blind Faith
:heart
These wouldn't be even remotely close to my top 10, although I really like them. The other three songs are pure brilliance, though.

BlackInk

All excelent except for Lines In the Sand. That one has never worked for me.

Pols Voice

YES. Blind Faith, Trial of Tears, and Lines in the Sand in the Top 10. :tup

hefdaddy42

5. Scarred

This song is one of the most controversial songs in DT's entire catalogue.  People seem to either love it or hate it; there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.  Well, put me in the "love it" camp.  The song features amazing composition, technical virtuosity, and again, amazing JP lyrics.  Some of the transitions seem to be abrupt, which can be seen as a failing in later DT music, but for some reason it works here.  This song just soars musically, and has been one of my favorites since the first time I heard it.

Interestingly enough, I owned Awake for a couple of years before I ever heard Scarred.  You see, I originally bought Awake on cassette (remember those, kiddies?), and the song wasn't included on the cassette version.  So I didn't hear this song (or even know that it existed) until I upgraded to CD.  lolfogies
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

KevShmev

Scarred is four spots too low, but I'll accept it in this spot. :)

hefdaddy42

Quote from: KevShmev on January 10, 2012, 12:18:16 PM
Scarred is four spots too low, but I'll accept it in this spot. :)
Gee thanks.

All four songs ranked above it are of a similar antiquity.

Mladen

BlackInk

namgalsipsclar

Funny thing with Scarred is that whilst each song on Awake took some time to grow on me, Scarred took by far the longest and in fact I've only started liking it really recently. It wouldn't quite be top ten on my list but its still climbing

Ħ

Great top 10.  I'm guessing the top 4 will be LTL, ACOS, Metropolis, aaaaand....something else. ???

BlackInk

Quote from: Ħ on January 10, 2012, 04:09:14 PM
Great top 10.  I'm guessing the top 4 will be LTL, ACOS, Metropolis, aaaaand....You Not Me???
Fix'd

Flacracker

Post 5 songs one day. Wait 3 days and then post one more song. This list will take forever. #1 is Learning to Live. Calling it now.

Ħ

Would I be able to get on the list?  I know I already had my chance, but I'd love to get another shot at it.

tweeg

Quote from: Flacracker on January 11, 2012, 01:29:37 PM
Post 5 songs one day. Wait 3 days and then post one more song. This list will take forever. #1 is Learning to Live. Calling it now.

LSOAD is #1. Calling it now.

hefdaddy42

Post 5 songs one day. Wait 3 days and then post one more song. This list will take forever.
Thank you for your valuable input.

Quote from: Ħ on January 11, 2012, 08:08:01 PM
Would I be able to get on the list?  I know I already had my chance, but I'd love to get another shot at it.
Sure.

hefdaddy42

4. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

This song is an early anomaly from the band, stressing mood and atmosphere over pomp and pyrotechnics.  The song is driven by JLB's flawless delivery of John JM's richly metaphorical lyrics.  The music supports the lyrics, rather than the vocals being decoration to finish off another crazy musical contribution.

From JP's opening delayed guitars backed by KM's haunting strings, the mood of pensive despair is set, and completed lyrically ("He seems alone and silent, thoughts remain without an answer").  The speaker, a male, seems to have some kind of problem with which he is battling, and alone he has little if any chance of successfully dealing with it.  However, as we approach the chorus, hope appears ("Moved by desire and fear, breaking delicate wings") in the form of a woman, who represents deliverance.  By opening up his problems to her, she is able to help free him of them, and recover the original dream he had which had been ruined by his monstrous problem.

The instrumental bridge is a bit of the Dream Theater we all know and love, but it is never a succession of notes for the sake of the notes.  It is completely sublimated to the purpose and mood of the song, and therefore helps to intensify the tension of emotion, setting the stage for the triumphant final chorus, showing that deliverance has been realized.

The motif of water in the lyrics should also be noted, representing the means by which the speaker gives his problem over to the woman, and by which she transforms his negative emotions to positive ones. 

Just a great, great song.

FlyingBIZKIT

It's called suspense.

Ħ

Great great song indeed.  Surprising top 4 song but definitely deserves the spot.

Oh and I think it's "Moved by desire and fear, breaking delicate winds." ;)

hefdaddy42

Elite

One of my favourites too. Gets too little love, unfortunately.
Quote from: Lolzeez on November 18, 2013, 01:23:32 PMHey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Quote from: home on May 09, 2017, 04:05:10 PMSqu
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

theseoafs

Haha, that song isn't even in my top 50. Interesting list so far, though I suspect we're in familiar territory for the top 3.

Mladen

Amazing song, not even close to my top 10, but I still adore it. Some of the best lyrics of all time, as far as I'm concerned.

Jirpo

BlackInk

Never really got this song, for me it's 92#. But still always interesting to see some different top 10s.

hefdaddy42

3. Metropolis Pt. 1

Yeah, you knew this would be up here somewhere.  It's pretty much the quintessential DT song.  Almost everything that can be considered a feature of DT is in here somewhere.  The crazy solos, time changes, intricate musical passages, weird lyrics, it's all in here.  This is the DT kitchen sink.

cyberdrummer

Can't really argue with that choice. It's in the top 5-10 for most people I would imagine.

Jirpo

hefdaddy42

2. A Change of Seasons

This is still the song by which all other DT "epics" are judged.  It is not only "just a really long song" like some of their other "epics" appear to be; it is truly epic in scope as it travels the emotional journey associated with death and the acceptance of that as a part of life.  The music appropriately changes throughout, at some points being frantic, at other points melancholy, and strangely, hauntingly triumphant at the end (even though I'll be gone, I will live on!).  This song, to me, is just a fascinating blend of songwriting, musicianship, lyrics, and ambition.  It's a treasure, and one I cherish.  It also helped me to get through the death of my father a little over a year ago.

BlackInk