Author Topic: Why young people leave church  (Read 16193 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Why young people leave church
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »
People leave churches because churches are head up by people. People who distort truth. People who don't know what truth is. People who promote there own agenda. People who serve the God of self.
Somewhere out there is the absolute truth but man is too flawed to be able to deliver that truth.
End of story.

This exactly. No-one knows the absolute truth about God, because it's impossible for us to fully understand. People who go to place that claim to teach the whole Truth are bound to be disappointing at the end, because the promise can't be delivered.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
also agree...I would only add that Scripture declares that it is "truth" and therefore (from that perspective) I can know where to find truth, though my understanding of it is what can be flawed. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
also agree...I would only add that Scripture declares that it is "truth" and therefore (from that perspective) I can know where to find truth, though my understanding of it is what can be flawed.

This is a problem I have with truth and religious texts like the bible.  I totally get why someone would want to find the ultimate truth.  But something as important as the ultimate truth should have been revealed in a manner where it cant be misinterpreted.  The bible is exposed to the flaws of man in so many ways; from observation to expression to translation to interpretation....all over thousands of years, thousands of people, and many different cultures and values.  It is like the piece of evidence in my capital murder case.  It is of the utmost importance.  But if the chain of custody of the evidence resembles the one like the bible, I wouldnt be willing to stake my life on it.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »
The most important aspects of truth are abundantly simple to understand in scripture and are stated in hundreds of different ways to make it clear.    There are mysteries of god that are explained but their truth is beyond human comprehension and thus men divide over it.   For ex men have debated for centuries over who has primary role in salvation:  man or god.   Truth of scripture declares both but men choose to pick sides because they cannot comprehend the balance.   But the critical truth that we need saving and that god saves us is clearly and simply stated.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2011, 01:35:02 PM »
I think the interesting part here is that, while the last 3 posters full-on proclaim that one can not ever understand God because we're measly humans, the similar conclusion about whether the Truth actually exists in the first place, is assumed to be without question.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »
I think the interesting part here is that, while the last 3 posters full-on proclaim that one can not ever understand God because we're measly humans, the similar conclusion about whether the Truth actually exists in the first place, is assumed to be without question.

rumborak
There is a truth, rumborak. Whether that truth is there is a god or isn't one doesn't make the fact there is a truth any less true. We just don't know if our own personal truth is right or wrong. We will someday.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »

rumborak

There has to be some Truth, even if the only Truth is that there is no Truth. Something is, but I doubt it's anything even close to human comprehension, past or future. We can but understand part.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »
Something is

Well...yeah, I suppose so.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
There has to be some Truth, even if the only Truth is that there is no Truth.

The problem I have with all this is that, it's like being Christopher Columbus, before he ever even went on the ship, drawing a detailed map of what he will see. I have no problem with saying "we don't know, and maybe we'll never know or understand", but most religions put the cart before the horse by saying what there is, and in the same breath proudly declaring that they have no clue whatsoever.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2011, 07:04:19 PM »

Yeah. Even if you think Scripture is the Truth (which I don't, but I respect that), I would be highly skeptical of anyone who claimed to have a perfect understanding of it.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »
the word for a group like that is cult.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:56 PM »
There has to be some Truth, even if the only Truth is that there is no Truth.

The problem I have with all this is that, it's like being Christopher Columbus, before he ever even went on the ship, drawing a detailed map of what he will see. I have no problem with saying "we don't know, and maybe we'll never know or understand", but most religions put the cart before the horse by saying what there is, and in the same breath proudly declaring that they have no clue whatsoever.

rumborak

I agree with that, guess I slightly misunderstood that post.