Author Topic: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. the Necrominicon epilogue  (Read 27894 times)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. unfurled beneath the clear blue sky
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2011, 01:07:30 PM »
It's hard to go wrong with any Zep or PF albums IMO. I'm guessing we'll probably see one or two more on this list before its over.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. I think I'll have a Screaming Viking
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2011, 02:01:12 PM »
12) Hardline, Double Eclipse (1992)

Hardline’s debut album is what great melodic rock is all about.  However, it’s also a reminder how timing is just as (if not more) important than the music.  Released in 1992, when glam rock/metal was about to be put on life support, it didn’t receive anywhere near the attention it should have (or could have if it had come out 3 or even 2 years sooner).  For some unknown reason, there really wasn’t much of a distinction between Glam and Melodic Rock in the late 80s… invariably, music from the two genre’s were mostly lumped together – if you had long hair, catchy melodies, power ballads … you were likely considered Glam (for better or worse).  Hardline likely earned that tag due to the founding brothers’ long hair, but this album is anything but glam.  It has great melodies, unbelievable vocals (they’re worth the price of admission alone, gritty and raspy, yet smooth and flowing … almost like combining Russell Allen and Neal Morse), intelligent lyrics, thunderous guitar chords that just echo on as you listen, compelling solo’s, and commanding drum work keeping everything together.  With Journey axe-man Neal Schon doing the producing and lead guitar efforts, this album gave him an outlet that Journey had trouble doing… songs with a guitar-rich sound and influence, and boy does he give this album just that.  The band gives a wide range of tempo on the album, from the slow and rhythmic feel of Dr. Love and Everything, to the rapid pace in Bad Taste and Rhythm From a Red Car.  Add in a couple of nice ballads, and the breath-taking vocal and musical performance on In The Hands of Time - this song has it all… a warming acoustic intro; slow serenade; vocals that go from calm and wise, to wailing and inspirational; lyrics that can bring a tear to your eye; and a guitar solo that has so much emotion, it’s easily be Schon’s best ever (it kinda reminds me of Paul Gilbert’s work).  If you like 80s Halen, but want something a little more ‘smarter’ and musically more well rounded, this should be in your music library.  It’s a shame it took these guys 10 years to follow up with their second (II), and even a bigger shame that a decent follow up didn’t come until 2009 and Leaving the End Open. 

Fav Songs – In The Hands of Time, Bad Taste, Hot Cherie, Everything
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
11) Skid Row, Skid Row (1989)

It’s probably no surprise to those familiar with Skid Row’s catalog that this is the album to make the re-appearance as stated in the OP.  THIS album is the epitome of the concept of glam… a very hard rock band that (to some extent) sacrificed themselves for their image, and dummied down their sound to gain commercial acceptance.  Paradoxically, the music on this album is not glam at all – compare it to the debut albums from Warrant, Poison, or Slaughter, and there is little to compare.  Regardless of the route Skid Row took on their image, this album is dynamite.  Skid Row was like Bon Jovi – but from the ‘other side of the tracks’.  Providing harder riffs, lyrics with edgier topics, almost grunge-like bass licks, vocals that get a little angry at time (although still highlighting Bach’s abilities and range), this album brings together pop, rock, metal and stands very well on its own.  With Bach’s vocal background, he was by far the most talented frontman of the glam genre – immensely more talented than the likes of Lane, Michaels or Slaughter … even Bon Jovi.  Exuding power like no other vocalist in the late 80s, he could bring a soft/calm side one moment, then an angry/raging scream the next.  This album is just full of party tracks, with lyrical themes of sex, teen angst and rebellion - and being an 18 year-old attending a lot of parties with mind altering intentions (commonly leading to sex, angst and rebellion), this was an album that really connected with my crowd.  Lots of head-banging tracks with catchy melodies and lyrics, and the obligatory pair of power ballads make this easily the best of the late-80s glam band era.

Fav Songs – I Remember You, Makin a Mess, Youth Gone Wild, Sweet Little Sister
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2011, 03:12:55 AM »
Hardline are awesome.  I prefer Leaving the End Open myself over the debut.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2011, 04:47:02 AM »
perfect pick...   :hefdaddy Bach...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. and now, the Top 10
« Reply #145 on: December 07, 2011, 05:42:50 AM »
10) Harem Scarem, Mood Swings (1993)

I doubt many here have ever heard of this band, let alone their second album.  Hailing from my neck of the woods (Toronto), these guys had success in Canada, but even more in Japan (enough for 12 studio albums in fact).  For whatever reason, they just never gained any attention in North America (sound familiar?).  Much like Hardline, Harem was a cross between melodic and hard rock, and took a few different directions in their 20 year career.  Mood Swings was the first album of theirs that started to take that harder line, providing some powerful guitar chords, a variety of guitar sounds, matched with some creative and intelligent licks filling the gaps here and there.   Add on original vocal writing – with lots of harmonization (they even have an acapella song) – a flawless rhythm section, all wrapped together by four talented musicians, and you have my favorite album from 1993.  This album is actually closer to Prog, only missing the requisite instrumental fapping that produces songs greater than 5 minutes in length.  Otherwise, it has quite a few elements that you’d expect from a prog album  – tempo/time/key changes, sound experimentations, and talent.  There is nothing shallow about the musicianship or the lyrics, as this album sounds nothing like the rock albums released in ’93.  As with several other albums on my list, and the last time I’ll have to mention this, they suffered from the fate of bad timing.  1993 was not the period to release an album like this given the grunge tidal wave that was crashing in on the industry.  Here is an album that never got the respect or fanfare it deserved – almost drawing parallels to the flagship band of this forum.  Seriously, check out a couple of songs from this album (if you’re a fan of melodic rock, or what I like to call mini-prog rock), and you won’t be disappointed.

Fav Songs – Saviours Never Cry, Empty Promises, Had Enough, No Justice

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: December 07, 2011, 05:45:24 AM »
9) Rush, Moving Pictures (1981)

DTF’s reigning album of the year for 1981, and album of the decade for the 80s, and you’ll get nary an argument from me about it.  There isn’t much I need to say about this album.  It’s Rush’s flagship, and seeing it on the Time Machine Tour last year was pure bliss.  I told the people behind me before the concert started, ‘just so you know, I won’t be sitting at all during Moving Pictures’.  Side one is pure perfection.  Is there an album out there that has four songs in a row as good as this?  The whole album is the perfect incorporation of keyboard sounds and melodies along with Rush’s hard core prog sound of the 70s that still lingered into Moving Pictures (but subsequently faded for their synth era).  It features Rush’s last 10 minute + epic in the Camera Eye, which is a highly under-rated song (and I’ve had the good fortune to hear live twice … on the tour last year, and DT covering it at ProgNation 2009 here in Toronto).  Some of my favorite moments include the drum fill and riff at the end of the guitar solo in Red Barchetta, the opening riff from Limelight (the first time I saw them in concert in 1991, when this came on I swear, it was the loudest thing I’d ever heard in my life… crank that riff and it’s chilling), and the sheer intelligence of YYZ (it shouldn’t need to be said, but for the 2% of people that don’t know, YYZ is the airport code in Toronto, and the main riff is Y-Y-Z in morse code).  Lyrically, Peart’s combination of narratives, fables and adaptations takes you into the heart of the stories he tells … feeling like you are part of a lynch mob, or traveling the streets of New York and London, or speeding uncontrollably down a gravel road. 

Fav songs – Red Barchetta, Limelight, Witch Hunt

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »
I love Moving Pictures, easily my favourite Rush album. Never listened to Harem Scarem though!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2011, 09:14:05 AM »

Fav songs – The whole fucking album

FTFY

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »

FTFY
I'll join in....

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2011, 01:39:25 PM »
I don't think I have to say what I feel about Rush.  Fantastic album that got me into the band in 1981 and a wee 13 year old.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:46 PM »

FTFY
I'll join in....

Well yes, that goes without saying. But on the off chance that theer is anyone still following this thread and does not know MP, I feel I had a civic duty to still highlight my personal preferences for the best of the best.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »

FTFY
I'll join in....

Well yes, that goes without saying. But on the off chance that theer is anyone still following this thread and does not know MP, I feel I had a civic duty to still highlight my personal preferences for the best of the best.

lol... I overlooked the FTFY part... I thought that we were showing love and respect to the epic album... so thought that I'd join in...

The main reason why I enjoy your thread this much is your reviews JBoy.... keep'em coming  :heart

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2011, 01:27:01 AM »
Moving Pictures :hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2011, 06:17:58 AM »

FTFY
I'll join in....

lol... I overlooked the FTFY part... I thought that we were showing love and respect to the epic album... so thought that I'd join in...

The main reason why I enjoy your thread this much is your reviews JBoy.... keep'em coming  :heart

:blush

Thanks Nem. Here's one for you.  :heart. Ok, two.  :heart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2011, 06:29:39 AM »
YAY... I've got the biggest heart collection ever  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. God bless Paul Northfield
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »
8) Queensryche, Operation:Mindcrime (1988)

Even before O:M squared off against Moving Pictures as the two best albums of the 80s, I had them ranked side-by-each in my top 10 as my favorite albums of the 80s.  Representing the peak of their career from a truly progressive perspective, this is the album that propelled Queensryche from being a cult-like prog metal band, to a full on heavyweight in the genre.  Like most rock opera’s, it’s a very unique and gripping story, takes the listener through all the requisite ups and downs of moods and emotions, and gives you new insight to it each time you listen to it.  Like any good rock opera, it’s got a live version as good – nay, better – than the studio (when the crowd screams “REVOLUTION CALLING!”, it brings goose bumps every time).  It’s one of those albums that you know right from the first 90 seconds, you’re going to be in for something special, on the edge of your seat for what’s about to come.  I remember hearing “Sweet dreams … you bastard” and thinking, ‘well, this is going to be interesting, wonder what he did?’  Then the power packed Anarchy-X instrumental, highlighting DeGarmo’s brilliant guitar work.  The overall concept covering religion, political upheaval, chemical manipulation and social wrongdoings was Tate’s, and something he put more effort into than anything else he ever did with Queensryche .. and the result reflects that effort.  A compelling story, absolutely precise musicianship, fantastic production quality, and vocals from Tate when he was one of (if not) the best in the prog/metal genre.  This album stands the test of time and is another one of those concept albums that has heavily influenced all others after it.  While The Wall is the greatest concept album ever, if you look at the impact on its niche of music, O:M takes the title as the greatest of Prog-metal concept album – and yes, I do believe it’s better than SFAM (despite what this community believes).  Bite me if you feel the other way.
(side note … both Moving Pictures and Mindcrime were engineered by Paul Northfield… man he has quite the resume – included DT’s last three albums)

Fav Songs – Breaking the Silence, I Don’t Believe In Love, Eyes of a Stranger, Suite Sister Mary

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
7) Nightwish, Century Child (2002)

Nightwish’s fourth album was the first to feature the (sometimes growling) vocals from then new bassist Marco Hietala, providing at times the perfect demonic counter-point to Tarja’s angelic voice.  With this album, they took the ‘symphonic’ aspect of their sound up a notch by using a live orchestra on four of the tracks.  While not deviating far from what made them so immensely successful in their homeland, Century Child showcases a much more well rounded band (with an overall heavier tone) than was demonstrated on the first three albums.  Rather than attacking the vocals and belting out the lines at the top end of her range (as she did almost exclusively), Tarja shows more control and diversity on this disc.  As hot as she is (was?  I’m not sure what she looks like these days), her voice was even sexier, and her performance on Century Child is without a doubt her best – smooth, sensual, soft, exquisite… then powerful and commanding.  I said earlier that you can get lost in her voice, and it happens here even more, mesmerizing the listener to the point you can miss the brilliant sounds and musicianship happening at the same time.  While all skilled with their instrument of choice, no single performance dominates the listening experience, each member/instrument contributing equally to the sound – which ranges from growling guitar riffs that induce head-banging (Slaying the Dreamer), double pounding and galloping bass/drums (End of All Hope), a ballad that isn’t really a ballad (Ever Dream) and an epic conclusion (Beauty of the Beast - which gives you everything you want in 10 minute + track).  In many ways, the album escalates to this epic finale that is definitely my favorite song by Nightwish – a three part masterpiece that while you know quite clearly when each transition occurs, they are stitched together wonderfully to a brilliant climax.  Aaaahhhhhh….. (I feel like I need a smoke).  In short, it’s a great album that builds to an absolutely spectacular conclusion.  From Nightwish’s catalog, Century Child is the best them.

Fav songs – Beauty of the Beast, End of All Hope, Dead to the World, Slaying the Dreamer

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Mindcrime is an absolute classic.  Century Child is pretty good, but not in Mindcrime's stratosphere.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
Mindcrime is an absolute classic.  Century Child is pretty good, but not in Mindcrime's stratosphere.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:35 AM »
8) Queensryche, Operation:Mindcrime (1988)

Even before O:M squared off against Moving Pictures as the two best albums of the 80s, I had them ranked side-by-each in my top 10 as my favorite albums of the 80s.  Representing the peak of their career from a truly progressive perspective, this is the album that propelled Queensryche from being a cult-like prog metal band, to a full on heavyweight in the genre.  Like most rock opera’s, it’s a very unique and gripping story, takes the listener through all the requisite ups and downs of moods and emotions, and gives you new insight to it each time you listen to it.  Like any good rock opera, it’s got a live version as good – nay, better – than the studio (when the crowd screams “REVOLUTION CALLING!”, it brings goose bumps every time).  It’s one of those albums that you know right from the first 90 seconds, you’re going to be in for something special, on the edge of your seat for what’s about to come.  I remember hearing “Sweet dreams … you bastard” and thinking, ‘well, this is going to be interesting, wonder what he did?’  Then the power packed Anarchy-X instrumental, highlighting DeGarmo’s brilliant guitar work.  The overall concept covering religion, political upheaval, chemical manipulation and social wrongdoings was Tate’s, and something he put more effort into than anything else he ever did with Queensryche .. and the result reflects that effort.  A compelling story, absolutely precise musicianship, fantastic production quality, and vocals from Tate when he was one of (if not) the best in the prog/metal genre.  This album stands the test of time and is another one of those concept albums that has heavily influenced all others after it.  While The Wall is the greatest concept album ever, if you look at the impact on its niche of music, O:M takes the title as the greatest of Prog-metal concept album – and yes, I do believe it’s better than SFAM (despite what this community believes).  Bite me if you feel the other way.
(side note … both Moving Pictures and Mindcrime were engineered by Paul Northfield… man he has quite the resume – included DT’s last three albums)

Fav Songs – Breaking the Silence, I Don’t Believe In Love, Eyes of a Stranger, Suite Sister Mary

:hearts: Suite Sister Mary in particular....  :heart and your review  :heart

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #162 on: December 09, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
Great picks! Mindcrime and MP would be in similar spots for me :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2011, 06:22:09 AM »
I remember how everybody talked about Mindcrime.  Every party we went to it was playing cranked.  MTV played the hell out of their videos (Remember those days when Videos were played on MTV?).  It is a masterpiece.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. absolute perfection
« Reply #164 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:57 PM »
6) Meat Loaf, Bat Out Of Hell (1977)

For the better part of my teenage years, this was my ‘desert island album’, and how could it not be with an in-your-face, testosterone filled, ever present theme of teenage relationship turmoil and sexual tension.  The success of this album lies in the hands of three people; composer and keyboardist Jim Steinman (who was highly influenced by Springsteen’s music at the time, so that kind of theme is really not that surprising); producer and guitarist Todd Rundgren (who also put together most of the arrangements); and the ‘Loaf’, whose distinct and powerful voice is probably the thing that truly made/saved this album – any other voice would’ve made this album seem like an incredible chunk of molded fromage.  When you consider the music of 1977, this didn’t fit in anywhere… and it’s really kind of amazing it ever saw the light of day (Clive Davis passed on it, citing that it wasn’t rock music).  It wasn’t mainstream rock, not disco (which was rising the way grunge did in the early 90s), not prog, not metal… at the time, it didn’t really fit into any genre.  Even 35 years later, there’s still nothing quite like it.  Commercially and critically, it initially got an overwhelming ‘meh’.  However, like a freight train, it managed to pick up steam to become the 5th highest grossing (in terms of quantity) worldwide album ever – 43 million copies.  Still to this day is sells a few hundred thousand copies a year.  What do you get with this album?  Now that it is appreciated for its place in the history of rock, you have seven songs with seven distinct sounds – exaggerated power chords and filler licks all over the place, flamboyant vocals, indulgent arrangements, emotionally charged (but not corny) lyrics, piano melodies that could act as the lead (and often do), and drum beats that seem like Animal from The Muppets is behind the skins.  Right from track one (with the opening panic and motorcycle guitar solo), for those of us that heard it in the 70s and 80s, you knew you were in for one unique listening experience.  Who knows, maybe those hearing it for the first time even now know how special it is.

Fav Songs – Bat Out of Hell, For Crying Out Loud, All Revved Up With No Place to Go

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 10, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
5) Star One, Space Metal (2002)

Predecessor to Victims of the Modern Age (#36 on my list), Space Metal is one of the most intriguing concepts (and I use “concept” here to signify a consistent theme, not a storyline) to an album I’ve ever heard – every song is based on a science fiction or fantasy movie/TV series.  Bringing together Floor Jansen, Russell Allen, Dan Swano and Damian Wilson, this is an Avengers-like assembly of amazing vocalists who deliver passionate, emotional and precise performances on every single track.  Russell and Damian provide most of the leads; Dan with the growling/deeper contributions; and Floor is largely responsible for the backing and harmonizations, yet she still manages to captivate and hold your attention despite not being in the spotlight.  Heavier than Arjen’s other projects, Star One is his outlet to get his metal on (or out), composing simpler and more straight-forward music off of coarse, deep and wicked guitar riffs.  The opening atmospheric setting puts you in the mood for the “Space Metal” you’re about to become immersed in, leading in to the ferocity of Set Your Controls that has a fantastic blend of keyboard and guitar.  Fast and Furious is not a movie that Arjen pulled from, but it certainly describes what you’re going to find out of the gate, and throughout the rest of the album… interspersed with a few slower paced songs (The Eye of Ra, Perfect Survivor, Starchild).  I’d never heard Damian Wilson before this, but man does he have an absolutely magical voice, and now I look for anything I can that he contributes to.  Throughout the album you’ll find slow and grinding riffs, keyboard melodies and harmonies to keep that sci-fi feel, a rhythm section that sounds like organized chaos at times, catchy chorus’s and psychedelic (ie, “spacey”) keyboard and guitar solos… there just isn’t a bad track here at all.  Like I mentioned with Victims, as you listen to the music and lyrics, you can’t help but be pulled into the backdrop of the movie (for myself, particularly with Master of Darkness/Empire Strikes Back and Songs of the Ocean/Star Trek IV).  If you like Symphony-X, this is for you; if you like Ayreon’s harder sounds, this is for you; if you like a dominant keyboard element, this is for you.

Fav Songs – Master of Darkness, Intergallactic Space Crusaders, Sandrider, Set Your Controls

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 10, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
To this day I still haven't heard Bat Out of Hell.  Not that I've been avoiding it, just never had an opportunity to listen and never thought to pick up a copy.

Space Metal > Victims of the Modern Age, definately.  The Star One live album is actually what got me into Ayreon (since they did some Universal Migrator songs on it), not the other way around.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 10, 2011, 05:51:17 PM »
Damian is one of the most underrated singers of our time.  Dan is amazing too, great album.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: December 10, 2011, 06:04:46 PM »
To this day I still haven't heard Bat Out of Hell.  Not that I've been avoiding it, just never had an opportunity to listen and never thought to pick up a copy.

Good, then there's at least on album in my collection I can use for your roulette!!

Damian is one of the most underrated singers of our time.  Dan is amazing too, great album.

I so agree. His voice is magic.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
Bat out of Hell is amazing! I normally don't like those kind of lyrics and I must admit I don't like a lot of the lyrics in the album but the title track has awesome lyrics.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Top 50 Albums - v. countdown concluding engines off
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2011, 05:47:53 AM »
4) Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin IV (1971)

Zeppelin IV, Zoso, Four Symbols, <untitled> … call it whatever you want, but I’ve got to believe that most people would place it (at least) in their top 5 of all classic rock albums.  Recounting from my OP, this album was the one that changed, and set, my musical tastes in the direction that has endured for the past 25 years.  Being a snot-nosed 14 year old pop music brat, this album completely changed my musical world, and frankly, the kind of person I was/became.  In the span of less than three years in 1969, Page, Plant, Bonham and Jones went from relative obscurity to the biggest musical force on the planet.  So much so, that this release had nothing on the album cover/sleeve – no band name or album title – just the artwork.  Not uncommon these days, but 40 years ago… unheard of, and thought to be career suicide.  The monumental impact that the band – and this album – had cannot be understood in relative terms these days.  I once heard in the late 80s, that it was theorized that if you played Stairway to Heaven back to back for every time it was requested on AM and FM radio, you’d have to play it for 57 years.  And remember, back then that’s how you got music … no Grooveshark, Spotify, YouTube, Torrents or anything else on demand.  You either bought, traded (physically), or requested it.  Zeppelin is known for some incredible openings, and Black Dog is no different.  As usual, they don’t just leave you with brilliant blues-inspired classic rock, but weave other elements and styles in that weren’t at all expected in 1971.  An acoustic duet with a mandolin!  A rap drum beat… before there was such a thing as rap (side note, did you know that the “c” in rap is silent)!?  An organ as the lead melody?  Seriously!?!?!  Who would’ve (or could’ve) done any of that and pulled it off?  The four of them were gods in their art the way that all 5 members of DT are today – perhaps more so.  Robert Plant was the mold for rock and roll frontmen, with his dynamic range and control, none were better in the 70s, and I would say only Freddie Mercury surpassed the stage presence he had in concert.  Page’s execution, style, and creativity on the axe is legendary, and second to none (except maybe Hendrix).  Bonham was everything a drummer should be.  And even though Jones was overshadowed by these three, he was a master in his own right on the bass and keys.  To get a taste of how influential this album is, collectively, there are over 250 known officially recorded and released covers of the 8 tracks from this album – by everyone from Dream Theater, to W.A.S.P., to Dolly Parton to Tony Levin.

Fav Songs – Battle of Evermore, Rock And Roll, Four Sticks… oh yeah, and that other well known one.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2011, 05:54:01 AM »
3) Rush, A Farewell To Kings (1977)

After the success and attention that Rush gained with 2112, expectations were pretty high, and man did they deliver!  There isn’t one thing to highlight above another here… Peart’s vivid and colorful lyrics are beyond compare, and his work on the drums is jaw dropping.  Not chaotic, or filled with any unnecessary ‘need for speed’ or flamboyant fills, just an absolute perfect demonstration of progressive percussion.  Geddy slappin da bass as good as anything else he did on their 20 studio albums (he was so creative and inventive here); Alex’s guitar performance is controlled and crisp and defined (I’m not really sure what I mean by that, but it’s just the only word that comes to mind); and the keyboards/moog just completes the overall fantasy sound that the lyrics/stories provide.  When you pack on two truly epic masterpieces like Xanadu (my favorite Rush track period… musically and lyrically it is just perfect – there are so many moments in the song that just leave me breathless and in awe at how three guys can make such amazing music) and Cygnus X-1, there’s really no other place for this album to fall but in the top 10 (at least for a guy like me for whom Rush is my #2 band behind Zeppelin).  Geddy could’ve been reciting the alphabet with Twinkle Twinkle playing in the background for the other four tracks, and this would still be a top 10 album.  That’s not to say the other four tracks are weak… they are not.  The opening track contains catchy riffs, a jazz rock interlude, and a dramatic and blistering guitar solo.  Closer to the Heart is probably their second most recognizable and accessible song, but I’ll tell you this, the studio version of it is hard to listen to, given they’ve had so many incredible live versions (I’m talking about you, Different Stages).  This album is a perfect combination of basic rock riffs and sounds, along with just enough exploration to take (and keep) you into the prog domain.  Xanadu was probably the first truly progressive song that ever captured me.  As I mentioned in my OP (and as you can probably tell now that we’re almost at the end of the list), I was a bit of a classic/hard/glam rock snob in the mid-late 80s.  It wasn’t until about ‘88 or ‘89 when I started getting into Rush (beyond the radio hits) that I found their earlier work.  Then, in preparation for their Roll the Bones Tour (where they brought back Xanadu in its entirety), I became fully consumed with 70s Rush, and in turn, more exploration into Progressive Rock.  It took me a while to really ‘get’ Cygnus X-1 (at first I found it a bit bizarre), but once I did, it just further cemented my preference for this as my favorite Rush disc. 

Fav Songs – Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, A Farewell to Kings

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2011, 07:00:57 AM »
Two amazing picks! Both would probably be in my top 50 too!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »
When I say "v. countdown concluding engines off" I thought, "Man, he has Signals real high".  I at least got the band right.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
Hell yeah. Great picks.  :tup