Author Topic: Ben Stein - Abandoning values  (Read 8440 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Ben Stein - Abandoning values
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:39 PM »
I can't recall if I've ever posted in P/R, certainly never started a topic.  But this was too good to not post.  I didn't find anything posted about Ben Stein, so apologies if it's already been posted/discussed.

Apparently the White House referred to Christmas Trees as “Holiday Trees” for the first time this year which prompted CBS presenter, Ben Stein, to present this piece which I would like to share with you. I think it applies just as much to many countries as it does to America . . . certainly does so here in Canada.

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejewelled trees, Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are, Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, “Merry Christmas” to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a crib, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her: “How could God let something like this happen?” (regarding Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said: “I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?”

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbour as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said okay.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit.

If not, then just discard it.... no one will know you did. But if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:47:46 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Ben Stein on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
He started off all right.  Then he kind of veered off the rails.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
That's what I was thinking too.  Except the part about how we aren't allowed to discipline children anymore and then complain that they are all warped.  That is pretty true in current American society.  Kids get away with too much these days.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »
it sounds like one of the pseudopigraphical emails I get every other day in my inbox.
the first part sounds like something he might have actually said and then someone added the rest to it

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »
I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

This is patently absurd. Our country is run by Christians.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her: “How could God let something like this happen?” (regarding Hurricane Katrina). Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said: “I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?”

Whoever said it, I can't stand this ridiculous argument, as if God's as sensitive as a teenage girl. "Don't want me in your schools? Well, how about a hurricane, you little bitch!"

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
Stopped reading after " every single one of my ancestors was Jewish."  ::)

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »

It's easier to say that if you believe Adam and Eve were kicking around 6000 years ago.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
according to snopes, his actual quote ends after the fourth paragraph.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 02:46:41 PM »
I guess I got a little duped.  Just 'snoped' this, and it's partially legit.

it sounds like one of the pseudopigraphical emails I get every other day in my inbox.
the first part sounds like something he might have actually said and then someone added the rest to it

You're right... up to the Billy Graham's daughter paragraph is the legit Ben Stein part.  After that is other sources written in to this.

None-the-less, I thought story behind the story was accurate and relevant.  We're so afraid of offending people, and I don't just mean Christians vs whomever else.  The school my children went to a few years ago disallowed Halloween for fear it would scare immigrants who didn't understand Halloween; the Christmas tree was called a "Mitten Tree" and decorated with mittens so as to not offend other faiths.  Oh Canada was being removed from the school systems because "God" is in the song, and not everyone is native Canadian.  Hello, immigrants came to Canada (or the US, or wherever) for a reason.  I don't expect people to abandon their culture or values (well, maybe some of them, like stoning women), but don't expect me to abandon mine.  Do you think any immigrants in India are forcing Diwali and those traditions out? 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 02:48:35 PM »
He started off all right.  Then he kind of veered off the rails.
I agree.

Something that really stood out to me: Stein talked a lot about how the world used to be and how it is now and how it's going to shit. Is just the opposite not true? Is the world not a better place to live now than it ever has been?*

*I'm thinking of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »

You're right... up to the Billy Graham's daughter paragraph is the legit Ben Stein part.  After that is other sources written in to this.

None-the-less, I thought story behind the story was accurate and relevant.  We're so afraid of offending people, and I don't just mean Christians vs whomever else.  The school my children went to a few years ago disallowed Halloween for fear it would scare immigrants who didn't understand Halloween; the Christmas tree was called a "Mitten Tree" and decorated with mittens so as to not offend other faiths.  Oh Canada was being removed from the school systems because "God" is in the song, and not everyone is native Canadian.  Hello, immigrants came to Canada (or the US, or wherever) for a reason.  I don't expect people to abandon their culture or values (well, maybe some of them, like stoning women), but don't expect me to abandon mine.  Do you think any immigrants in India are forcing Diwali and those traditions out?

God should not be part of the anthem. For one it wasn't originally written that and 2 we are a secualr nation. if the anthem does not represent all it should represent none.

Offline jsem

Re: Ben Stein - Abandoning values
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 02:51:56 PM »
Reminds me of this little debate, when Stein called Ron Paul an anti-semite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyMh15fEKRI

I can't take Stein seriously.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »

It's easier to say that if you believe Adam and Eve were kicking around 6000 years ago.

Only if Adam and Eve were also Jews. Which..... would make everyone a Jew.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 03:02:12 PM »
Reminds me of this little debate, when Stein called Ron Paul an anti-semite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyMh15fEKRI

I can't take Stein seriously.

Not taking him seriously is the most respectful thing I would say about him after I saw this earlier this year.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 03:03:49 PM »

Oh Canada was being removed from the school systems because "God" is in the song, and not everyone is native Canadian.

I've never heard of this.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

???  Why?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »

Whoever said it, I can't stand this ridiculous argument, as if God's as sensitive as a teenage girl. "Don't want me in your schools? Well, how about a hurricane, you little bitch!"

:rollin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »
I don't think too highly of Ben Stein,  but I agree with the part attributed to him.  I'm happy enough for people to wish me a merry Christmas,  happy Hanukkah, or a Tip-Top Tet if that's what they're into.  I'll probably even return the regards. 

Now,  as for this war on Christmas garbage that the right keeps harping on,  if it actually does exist,  Christmas is kicking the shit out of it's enemies.   Truth be told,  modern Christmas is merely an adjunct of our consumer based society,  and as such,  it's invincible.  Wal-Mart,  Best Buy and De Beers will never, ever let it be harmed.  It is those entities that propagate the whole "war on Christmas" bullshit by couching all of the rhetoric to try and avoid offending the 1% that might be put off by it.  The right latches onto that because it loves getting riled up about anything with a hint of political correctness.  In the mean time,  the holiday season begins one whole month earlier than it did 8 years ago, and the people who fear that Christmas is under attack run out to buy a new HDTV every year from the store that still calls it Christmas and complains that the atheists are out to get them. 

Seems to me that the Christians are probably right to feel threatened regarding their holiday beliefs,  but it isn't the atheists or the democrats that are their concern.  It's the wild West of capitalism that's fucking up their holiday. 

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »
I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Here's what annoys me about these kind of complaints... there's other religions other than Christianity (as you'd think a Jew would know...), and that's why, if anything, there's a push for Merry Holidays over Merry Christmas (I personally don't give a rats ass), but it's not becuase of "atheism." I just love how crazy Christians get over everything, when Christianity get's pandered to more than any other religion in America. Atheists aren't a very large section of this country.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

???  Why?

Okay I lied, I did actually keep reading but only because I thought it was satirical, but then I remembered who Ben Stein was.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »

My hardcore religious aunt and cousins made signs and stood on a street corner saying that this financial crisis happened because we stopped believing in the words "In Got We Trust" that is on all our currency.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »

My hardcore religious aunt and cousins made signs and stood on a street corner saying that this financial crisis happened because we stopped believing in the words "In Got We Trust" that is on all our currency.
Uggh.  I despise Gotists.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Here's what annoys me about these kind of complaints... there's other religions other than Christianity (as you'd think a Jew would know...), and that's why, if anything, there's a push for Merry Holidays over Merry Christmas (I personally don't give a rats ass), but it's not becuase of "atheism."

I've never heard of anyone from one of "those other religions" who claimed to be offended.  Ever.

Uggh.  I despise Gotists.

:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 04:17:43 PM »
I don't think too highly of Ben Stein,  but I agree with the part attributed to him.  I'm happy enough for people to wish me a merry Christmas,  happy Hanukkah, or a Tip-Top Tet if that's what they're into.  I'll probably even return the regards. 

Now,  as for this war on Christmas garbage that the right keeps harping on,  if it actually does exist,  Christmas is kicking the shit out of it's enemies.   Truth be told,  modern Christmas is merely an adjunct of our consumer based society,  and as such,  it's invincible.  Wal-Mart,  Best Buy and De Beers will never, ever let it be harmed.  It is those entities that propagate the whole "war on Christmas" bullshit by couching all of the rhetoric to try and avoid offending the 1% that might be put off by it.  The right latches onto that because it loves getting riled up about anything with a hint of political correctness.  In the mean time,  the holiday season begins one whole month earlier than it did 8 years ago, and the people who fear that Christmas is under attack run out to buy a new HDTV every year from the store that still calls it Christmas and complains that the atheists are out to get them. 

Seems to me that the Christians are probably right to feel threatened regarding their holiday beliefs,  but it isn't the atheists or the democrats that are their concern.  It's the wild West of capitalism that's fucking up their holiday.
I'm more than a bit tired of everybody blaming a boogie man for ruining their pure and sacred traditions. From a biblical standpoint, December and Christmas trees have nothing to do with Jesus; atheism sucks year around; capitalism makes life better for everybody and has nothing to do with the "attack" on Christmas.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
Here's what annoys me about these kind of complaints... there's other religions other than Christianity (as you'd think a Jew would know...), and that's why, if anything, there's a push for Merry Holidays over Merry Christmas (I personally don't give a rats ass), but it's not becuase of "atheism."

I've never heard of anyone from one of "those other religions" who claimed to be offended.  Ever.

And I've never heard of any of these atheists who are offended by Merry Christmas.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »

And I've never heard of any of these atheists who are offended by Merry Christmas.
I have, it made me so mad that people actually get offended by it, and it wasn't just something made up.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 04:38:57 PM »

I have, it made me so mad that people actually get offended by it, and it wasn't just something made up.

The only way I know about is is from Christians complaining about the War on Christmas.

Atheists who go that far are really annoying though; generally, I find they're more anti-Christianity because of their upbringing, than simply non-believers.

Offline Rathma

• oh no she didnt
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »

Well I'm irritated that you're mad that atheists are offended, so there.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »

I'm more than a bit tired of everybody blaming a boogie man for ruining their pure and sacred traditions. From a biblical standpoint, December and Christmas trees have nothing to do with Jesus; atheism sucks year around; capitalism makes life better for everybody and has nothing to do with the "attack" on Christmas.
Well which is it?  Is Christmas a scared and pure tradition, or is it a capitalist marketing tool? 

I'm actually not out to attack capitalism at the moment. I'm just pointing out that the Christians who are butt-hurt about this shouldn't be as bothered by tiny number of people who are offended by Christmas as much as they should be that the birth of their Messiah is commemorated by purchasing electronics and jewelry.   

I've never heard anybody bitch about Merry Christmas,  although I'm sure there are some hard-ass atheists that do.  Still,  there are so little as to be inconsequential.  I sure do hear a ton about it though,  because the right is so dead set on convincing people how terrible it is. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »
I've never heard anybody bitch about Merry Christmas,  although I'm sure there are some hard-ass atheists that do.  Still,  there are so little as to be inconsequential.  I sure do hear a ton about it though,  because the right is so dead set on convincing people how terrible it is.

Pretty much this. Ironically, I think the right making such a big deal out of it has actually made it more of an issue. Try and convince people or something, and a certain amount are going to disagree.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2011, 05:13:14 PM »

Well I'm irritated that you're mad that atheists are offended, so there.
Okay...sorry that I'm mad that Athiests got in my face for me wishing them a "Merry Christmas" , also just to let you know I'm Agnostic.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
I had 3 Christmases so far in the U.S.
I say Merry Christmas, I thank people when they say it to me. I get the tree and decorate it, sometimes even do the presents thing if money is good. It's one of the most jolly fuckin things in the world! Since I was a kid in Egypt watching Home Alone and other Christmas kids comedies I loved the vibe of the American Christmas. I can't imagine a fucked up scenario of me thinking "Shit this is a Christian thing! It's bad to practice it's rituals!" let alone be offended cause someone said Merry Christmas to me.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Honestly, I can't think of a single time that I've heard anyone actually be offended by Happy Christmas. The only time I've ever heard about it is people ranting about 'The War on Christmas', which I've seen both on the news and had the pleasure of discussing with several of the more elderly customers at my work.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.