Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 266096 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #2625 on: June 11, 2018, 10:03:58 AM »
Releasing the next ES game toward the end of this console generation is a smart business move. Then they can cash in on the inevitable remaster 3-4 years later on next gen.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2626 on: June 11, 2018, 10:08:13 AM »
Releasing the next ES game toward the end of this console generation is a smart business move. Then they can cash in on the inevitable remaster 3-4 years later on next gen.

Yeah, but they already confirmed it's in the works for the next gen..
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2627 on: June 11, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »

Next gen exclusive? I've been able to find very little info since my work's network blocks any website that covers video games in any capacity.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: June 11, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »

Next gen exclusive? I've been able to find very little info since my work's network blocks any website that covers video games in any capacity.

They didn't say exclusive, but they did preface it as something 'far in the future' and 'next gen' and since Sony's president said the PS5 is at least 3 years off, and with everything on Bethesda's plate and how big the next ES game will be, I can't imagine 6 possibly coming out for this console generation; by the time they near end of development the life cycle will be over. At the very least I imagine a basic release coming, but the primary focus will be on the next gen to get the absolute most out of the next title (with DLC, mod support etc.) instead of shoehorning it in at the end of this one and being held back by the limitations of this gen.

I also admit I could be totally wrong, but that's my hunch!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2629 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »

They didn't say exclusive, but they did preface it as something 'far in the future' and 'next gen' and since Sony's president said the PS5 is at least 3 years off, and with everything on Bethesda's plate and how big the next ES game will be, I can't imagine 6 possibly coming out for this console generation; by the time they near end of development the life cycle will be over. At the very least I imagine a basic release coming, but the primary focus will be on the next gen to get the absolute most out of the next title (with DLC, mod support etc.) instead of shoehorning it in at the end of this one and being held back by the limitations of this gen.

I also admit I could be totally wrong, but that's my hunch!

That'd be great. I just find that surprising. It's already been in development a few years I'd imagine. Does this mean that Bethesda has already had dev kits for the PS5 all this time?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: June 11, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
There was a rumor going around that PS5 dev kits had gone out earlier this year, but I'm not sure if that was confirmed or squashed or what. I was hoping this gen would go on longer, at least. The last one went on for a long time and I think we got the most out of it especially with the 360. The technical leaps don't seem that huge anymore (the graphics jumps already aren't as impressive, although there is a noticeable different), and since games take so long to make and support these days it just doesn't seem like the PS4 and Xbox have had enough time to shine and get the most out of their hardware.

Again though anything is possible and the devs would obviously be the ones most privy to that info. To be a fly on the wall in those meetings! I so envy the people whose jobs are just to create these worlds and the lore (not necessarily the programmers, though, haha).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2631 on: June 11, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
They could just mean they are planning to make it for next gen but it will also be available on the current gen like lots of new games that are released around the same time as new consoles.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: June 11, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
My money's on 4 years off, minimum. I bet they'll announce it for a release in 2021 and then it'll get delayed to late 2022.  11 years after Skyrim.  :lol

It's kind of startling me how long some of these games are in development for these days, and how much one's life can change between titles. Kingdom Hearts 2 to 3 for example, or the entirety of the FF13 saga. And now Skyrim, which feels like forever ago, and we're still so far away from the next installment.

I was really happy to hear about Fallout and ES stuff coming to Switch, I think, so I'll be checking that stuff out.

You also have to remember as technology progress the scope of the game just gets larger, exponentially so.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2633 on: February 12, 2022, 03:27:53 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls