Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 267363 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #2275 on: March 18, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
Man, this really is one buggy-ass game.

At least you weren't playing at the time when dragons would go invisible and still continue to attack you...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2276 on: March 18, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »
Yeah, that is the big criticism about Bethesda. Most game companies release a game, and then have to succeed or fail by its success. Bethesda get away with releasing unfinished garbage, but since their games are so one of a kind, people continue to put up with it.

Vanilla Skyrim works pretty well now, but DLC introductions have chopped away at it a bit. Fallout 3 is pretty damn solid now but that took tons of patching I think.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2277 on: March 18, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Yeah, that is the big criticism about Bethesda. Most game companies release a game, and then have to succeed or fail by its success. Bethesda get away with releasing unfinished garbage, but since their games are so one of a kind, people continue to put up with it.

Vanilla Skyrim works pretty well now, but DLC introductions have chopped away at it a bit. Fallout 3 is pretty damn solid now but that took tons of patching I think.

BUZZWORDS!

It's a sandbox game. Go find me a sandbox game that isn't filled with bugs.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2278 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
Well, given the insane number of possible interactions, I'm not sure it'd be possible to create a game that wasn't at least somewhat buggy. Still, seems like they could be a bit better about releasing fixes as the problems crop up. I think both of my glitches were supposed to have been resolved, but they're still problematic.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2279 on: March 18, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »
Well, given the insane number of possible interactions, I'm not sure it'd be possible to create a game that wasn't at least somewhat buggy. Still, seems like they could be a bit better about releasing fixes as the problems crop up. I think both of my glitches were supposed to have been resolved, but they're still problematic.

Download the unofficial Skyrim patch.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2280 on: March 18, 2013, 09:50:37 AM »

BUZZWORDS!

Grand Theft Auto IV had very few bugs.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2281 on: March 18, 2013, 09:54:44 AM »

BUZZWORDS!

I don't think you can even call it that anymore. It's a large, open-world First Person RPG. It is barely a "sandbox" game in the truest sense of the word. If it is, then every other open world game is too. And pretty much all of those are less buggy than skyrim.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2282 on: March 18, 2013, 10:04:16 AM »

Download the unofficial Skyrim patch.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19
That appears to resolve the Illia issue, so I'll do that. Neither that nor the unofficial Hearthfire patch address the Laveview/marriage problem. There's an official bugfix for it, but like I said, it doesn't seem to work.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2283 on: March 18, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »

BUZZWORDS!

I don't think you can even call it that anymore. It's a large, open-world First Person RPG. It is barely a "sandbox" game in the truest sense of the word. If it is, then every other open world game is too. And pretty much all of those are less buggy than skyrim.

It's a sandbox RPG.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2284 on: March 18, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »
Then the term "sandbox" refers to any open-world game is completely irrelevant.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2285 on: March 18, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

BUZZWORDS!

Skyrim is a profoundly more complex game than GTA4 if your really think about it. Besides the PC version of GTA4 was one giant bug upon release. I  :heart GTA4 and Skyrim FYI.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2286 on: March 18, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »
This isn't a bug really, but I find it annoying as shit when I come to the temple with Esbern (name escaping me), a dragon attacks, and the Forsworn attack me instead of the damned dragon! Priorities people!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2287 on: March 18, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »

BUZZWORDS!

Skyrim is a profoundly more complex game than GTA4 if your really think about it. Besides the PC version of GTA4 was one giant bug upon release. I  :heart GTA4 and Skyrim FYI.

I never said anything about comparable complexity. I'm just pointing out that as a sandbox game, it didn't have that many bugs. It amazes me that a game with a scope the size of Skyrim's could ever make it to production  :lol Outside of the giant bugs that I bitched about for weeks, I don't expect Bethesda to catch/see it worth wasting their money on the little things that pop up now and then. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2288 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
GTAIV is one of the most poorly made PC (ports?) games ever released. Even on high end computers, it runs like shit.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2289 on: March 18, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
Not only that, you have to install like 5 programs to get it to run. I couldn't get it off of my PC fast enough. I also remember that when I installed it, it "analyzed" my machine and selected optimum settings and the draw distance was about 3 ft. You couldn't even get out of your car and walk over to the passenger side because it'd disappear before you got there. Driving was completely out of the question. Not sure how anybody could have possibly thought that was playable.

A couple of the bugs really annoy me, but all in all, Skyrim is surprisingly good given the scale of what they were trying to do.
E.F. Benson

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2290 on: March 18, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »
This isn't a bug really, but I find it annoying as shit when I come to the temple with Esbern (name escaping me), a dragon attacks, and the Forsworn attack me instead of the damned dragon! Priorities people!
Wow, this exact scenario has happened to me a lot of times throughout my different playthroughs.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2291 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »

You know, that only happens to me on that quest. Whenever bandits attack me, and a Dragon shows up, they go for the lizard.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2292 on: March 18, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
Wow, this exact scenario has happened to me a lot of times throughout my different playthroughs.
They way it always works with me is that I'll see some harmless travelers, walk up to them to say howdy, one of them yells DIE MOTHER FUCKER! and I smash him with my shield before he can get off a shot. Then while I'm fighting off all 3 of his companions the dragon they were actually shouting at roasts me from behind.

There have been quite a few tragic misunderstandings during my travels. Yesterday it was some guy on a horse that was particularly hateful towards a deer behind me.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2293 on: March 18, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
Here is a screenshot of that Tropical Tamriel. I'm going to uninstall it, because I don't quite like it. But, it looked fancy

wow, saving as a jpeg really fucked the quality of the screenshot.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 06:48:45 PM by snapple »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2294 on: March 18, 2013, 06:50:59 PM »
Looks fine to me, but I'm not a visiophile.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2295 on: March 18, 2013, 06:51:40 PM »
Looks fine to me, but I'm not a visiophile.

That screenshot was taken on ultra settings with everything maxed out. It looks like high settings.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #2296 on: March 18, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
Here is a screenshot of that Tropical Tamriel. I'm going to uninstall it, because I don't quite like it. But, it looked fancy

Yeah, I reinstalled just to try it out.  It looked great in the screenshots, but it didn't look very good in-game due to very lo-res textures and bright grass, and I am not a fan of the lighting.  It needs some serious texture work (with the help of the rest of the modding community), and it needs to be compatible with other outdoor lighting mods. 

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2297 on: March 18, 2013, 07:14:30 PM »

Yeah, I reinstalled just to try it out.  It looked great in the screenshots, but it didn't look very good in-game due to very lo-res textures and bright grass, and I am not a fan of the lighting.  It needs some serious texture work (with the help of the rest of the modding community), and it needs to be compatible with other outdoor lighting mods.

You having issues with it since uninstalling?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2298 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »

Got it all working

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2299 on: March 19, 2013, 09:23:17 AM »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2300 on: March 19, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
Must say, I've never gone on a rampage for the fun of it, BUT

There is the occasion where there is a fight with an enemy and near the end I accidentally hit a guard or something and they start coming after me. It ends with many dead guards, me pissed off and re-loading from my last save point.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2301 on: March 19, 2013, 11:33:01 AM »
Senseless rampages are the best way to test out new spells and shouts. Most fun I've had yet was using a frenzy spell on that old woman in Whiterun and watching the chaos ensue. I discovered that Lydia and I could kill every damn person in Whiterun, if not for the immortality of a couple of NPCs (if you can't kill Farengar early, it's a tough road).
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2302 on: March 19, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
Heh, I've always been a big fan of frenzy. Especially since I power it up with dual casting and other perks to hit higher level targets. Just hit someone, hide, listen to chaos ensue, and repeat until 1 usually heavily injured opponent remains.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2303 on: March 19, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »
Heh, I've always been a big fan of frenzy. Especially since I power it up with dual casting and other perks to hit higher level targets. Just hit someone, hide, listen to chaos ensue, and repeat until 1 usually heavily injured opponent remains.
Huh. Hadn't thought of building it up. I've always considered it somewhat useless (aside from mayhem, that is). What's the highest level bad guy it'll work on?
E.F. Benson

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2304 on: March 19, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I don't know for sure, but as long as I'm not using it on master something or deathlords it usually works.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2305 on: March 19, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
I've mostly ignored the illusions school since it tends to only work on low-level bad guys of the sort I never come across anymore. Since my Illusion rank is improved thanks to the Muffle thing, perhaps I'll revisit that. There are a couple of them I wouldn't mind having access to.
E.F. Benson

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #2306 on: March 23, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »
Just finished all the Daedric quests to the letter, and I have all the right artefacts needed for the Oblivion Walker Achievement- So why hasn't it granted :(
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #2307 on: March 23, 2013, 01:06:26 PM »
Just finished all the Daedric quests to the letter, and I have all the right artefacts needed for the Oblivion Walker Achievement- So why hasn't it granted :(

Did you take the Black Soul or anything like that?

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #2308 on: March 23, 2013, 01:08:55 PM »
Nope, normal Azura's star, Masque of Clavicus Vile, Mehrune's Razor, Staff of Corruption, Saviour's Hide, which I think are the only one's you can miss. I was very careful about following the quest lines.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2309 on: March 23, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »
Nope, normal Azura's star, Masque of Clavicus Vile, Mehrune's Razor, Staff of Corruption, Saviour's Hide, which I think are the only one's you can miss. I was very careful about following the quest lines.
Saviour's Hide is the wrong one I think. I think you need the Ring of Hircine. Also, it doesn't matter if you take the Azura's Star or the Black Star, they both count.