Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 267461 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #1190 on: December 19, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
Like how awesome would it be to just waltz into Windhelm and decapitate Ulfric 5 hours into the game instead of having to wade through 5-6 boring fort captures?

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1191 on: December 19, 2011, 03:54:38 PM »
Those boring fort captures become fucking awesome fort captures if you have the summon dragon shout.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1192 on: December 19, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »
I still think they kinda flubbed that part. I mean you can see enemies spawn right in front of you. How low budget is that shit?

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1193 on: December 19, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the first to raise this concern, but I think the amount of immortal NPCs in this game is really irritating.  Of course, it would suck to accidentally kill the wrong guy and ruin an important quest, but there are immortals everywhere, and it's really annoying to have to deal with them when you're trying to break the law and you can't kill all of your witnesses because some of them are incapable of dying.  I think that either making it arbitrarily difficult to kill an essential character (but still possibly) so that you know that what you're doing is going to ruin a quest and still continue to do it, or just having it so that when you've wounded them they are too "scared" to report you and are eliminated as witnesses would do a lot of good for the game.

Quick save before you do anything illegal.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1194 on: December 19, 2011, 05:30:45 PM »
Where do you get the Summon Dragon shout?
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1195 on: December 19, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »
From the main quest line, I think.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1196 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »
Where do you get the Summon Dragon shout?

Main Quest. Not as fun of a shout as one would think.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: December 19, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »
I'm getting this game for Christmas.  After seeing a few Let's Play videos and seeing how it looks like they've fixed so much from what I hated about Oblivion, I'm super excited to play it.  Can't freaking wait.

I'm either going to make a Khajit thiefy character or Hugar Hellingstone of Thundersword.  Maybe I'll do both, maining one and playing the other if I get bored at all.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1198 on: December 19, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »
Hugar Hellingstone of Thundersword. 
You NEED to do this! Like now!!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: December 19, 2011, 07:18:39 PM »
Christmas.  He's gonna be a Nord with a two-handed greatsword enchanted with thunderthings.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: December 19, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Christmas.  He's gonna be a Nord with a two-handed greatsword enchanted with thunderthings.
You mean the spark enchantment?  :lol
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1201 on: December 19, 2011, 07:55:08 PM »
I'm either going to make a Khajit thiefy character or Hugar Hellingstone of Thundersword.  Maybe I'll do both, maining one and playing the other if I get bored at all.

I made Hugar as soon as I got the game.   :lol

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1202 on: December 19, 2011, 07:55:43 PM »
I read that as thunderthighs. I was disappointed to realize that was not what you said :(

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1203 on: December 19, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the first to raise this concern, but I think the amount of immortal NPCs in this game is really irritating.  Of course, it would suck to accidentally kill the wrong guy and ruin an important quest, but there are immortals everywhere, and it's really annoying to have to deal with them when you're trying to break the law and you can't kill all of your witnesses because some of them are incapable of dying.  I think that either making it arbitrarily difficult to kill an essential character (but still possibly) so that you know that what you're doing is going to ruin a quest and still continue to do it, or just having it so that when you've wounded them they are too "scared" to report you and are eliminated as witnesses would do a lot of good for the game. 
I agree. Completely broke the immersion when I tried to kill the entire thieves' guild before knowing what or who they were :lol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1204 on: December 19, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
Fuck, I'd love to work against the Thieves' Guild in the way you can for the Dark Brotherhood.  Maven Black-Briar is such a piece of shit. 

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1205 on: December 20, 2011, 06:59:28 AM »

Screenshots?

Offline PetrucciFan99

« Reply #1206 on: December 20, 2011, 05:57:09 PM »
Fuck, I'd love to work against the Thieves' Guild in the way you can for the Dark Brotherhood.  Maven Black-Briar is such a piece of shit. 

You can work against the Dark Brotherhood?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
Yes

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1208 on: December 20, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
how?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1209 on: December 20, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
how?

Attack the chick when she brings you out into the cabin, it'll start the "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood" quest. 

Screenshots?

Naw, I'm using the 360 version and I'm lazy.  He's really just a regular Nord, though.  You could probably do him justice better than I did. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1210 on: December 20, 2011, 11:55:46 PM »
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1211 on: December 21, 2011, 12:32:40 AM »
how?

Attack the chick when she brings you out into the cabin, it'll start the "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood" quest. 

Screenshots?

Naw, I'm using the 360 version and I'm lazy.  He's really just a regular Nord, though.  You could probably do him justice better than I did.

thank you.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1212 on: December 21, 2011, 04:00:38 AM »
Guys, guys! They've made a second version of the game!

Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline PetrucciFan99

« Reply #1213 on: December 21, 2011, 05:12:18 AM »
That's really cool that you can do that killing the Dark Brotherhood thing. Gotta try that.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1214 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1215 on: December 25, 2011, 04:43:28 PM »
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114910-Skyrim-Fans-Uncover-Insectoid-Conspiracy

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim may be full of bugs, but according to dedicated fans of the game, there's an ominous reason for that.

Wait, did you think I was referring to coding bugs? Granted, Skyrim has its share of those too, but today we're talking about the creepy crawly kind.

Throughout the frozen wasteland that plays host to the game there are a number of bugs trapped inside various jars. If you've played the game for an extended period of time, you've likely found one of these imprisoned creatures only to assume that it serves no purpose beyond adding a bit of flavor to the detailed fantasy world. A group of Reddit users with far too much time and an abundance of creative reasoning skills however, has discerned a far more sinister purpose behind the glass prisons.

Specifically, these bug jars seem to be a primer on how to summon the apocalypse.

See, the lid of each jar is emblazoned with a rune that when translated from the language of the dragons into English offers a vague description of a location within Skyrim. Weird, right? Man, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Take this proposed theory, for instance:

Someone noticed the connection between the five cities Morthal, Whiterun, Winterhold, Dawnstar, and Windhelm, and realized they formed a Pentagon. He also noticed three dragon "sanctuaries" or whatever you may call them, Mzinchaleft, and the Tower Stone formed a smaller pentagon within it, making a transmutation circle. In the general area of the middle of the circle, there is a shrine to Talos with a circle of stones around it. His theory was that if you placed the bugs on their respective cities (see post for relation between bugs and cities), committed genocide in those ctities, kill the dragons at the dragon areas and the one that Mzinchaleft leads to, activate the tower stone, and wait for the "Promised Day".

Too morbid for you? Try this one then:

The second one expands upon the Weynon stones. The guy figured out that the Thalmor are trying to erase mankind from existence, and the things that are stopping them are the eight towers:

Crystal Tower

Red Tower

Tree-sap

Orchalc

Khajiit

all of which were destroyed or deactivated. The most significant and only remaining one are the Brass Tower and Snow-Throat, or the Throat of the World. The Brass Tower was cast out of time. The tower may have a spiritual connection with Numidium, the brass god, and the disappearance of the tower and therefore Numidium may tie in with the disappearance of the Dwemer. Snow Throat is the only active one. Each of these towers have stones which bind them to Nirn, and the theorist concluded that the Weynon Stones bound Snow Throat. This is why the Thalmor have been waging war on Skyrim; so they can destroy Snow Throat or the Weynon Stones, either way destroying the last tower and wiping mankind from existence.

And those are just the two most fleshed-out explanations for these jars. The whole thread is full of grassy-knoll-level conspiracy theories. Even if Bethesda didn't intend for the game to have an undercurrent of shady menace foretelling the coming of Armageddon, the thread makes an entertaining read for those who have spent a hundred hours murdering Skeevers and shrugging off casual racism against the noble Khajiit.

Oh, and for the record, Skyrim's developers remain mum on the exact purpose of the jars. We asked, and they aren't saying a thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/nklj2/you_know_those_runes_on_the_lids_of_the_bug_jars/?sort=top

In other news, I got Skyrim today. It's downloading now.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1216 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »
Skyrim is way too shallow :( I thought it was gonna be better than Oblivion when it first came out, but the only major thing they have improved on is combat. The towns are just rediculously shit, at least the landscape is awesome, even though its still not very inventive. The whole thing just gets boring way too fast for an Elder Scrolls game. No where near enough hidden content and stuff you have to actually work for. It just shows that since Skyrim has come out, I've spent more time playing Morrowind than skyrim :p That game was god damn perfect.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1217 on: December 25, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
I feel the same way, I just didn't want to let myself admit it because I have so much love for Oblivion and I've been so pumped for this game.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1218 on: December 25, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
Morrowind is a game that I appreciate from a distance. It's chock full of interesting little places, the world is so goddamn weird (ash storms, dwemer ruins!), it has flight (!), and the single player story is actually not completely terrible. But man, actually playing the game at times is like having someone hit you in the balls with a hammer and if you're playing a magic user, then that hammer also shoots gun-toting scorpions at you.

I'm kinda getting tired of Skyrim, but I've made it way further than I ever have in Morrowind or Oblivion.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1219 on: December 25, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
Alright, so I have way more money than I expected, and I'm debating on what to spend it on. Not like there's any new information anybody will be able to tell me about it or anything, but should I get this?

Edit: Keep in mind, my computer sucks horse shit, so I'll have to get the PS3 version.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: December 25, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
Skyrim is way too shallow :( I thought it was gonna be better than Oblivion when it first came out, but the only major thing they have improved on is combat. The towns are just rediculously shit, at least the landscape is awesome, even though its still not very inventive. The whole thing just gets boring way too fast for an Elder Scrolls game. No where near enough hidden content and stuff you have to actually work for. It just shows that since Skyrim has come out, I've spent more time playing Morrowind than skyrim :p That game was god damn perfect.

I really didn't like Oblivion.  Skyrim is one of the few cases where improved graphics actually improved my enjoyment of the game.  While conversations in Oblivion were annoying with the way you HAD to focus right at their face and do that silly conversation minigame, Skyrim seems a bit more realistic.  I think the landscape is much better than Oblivion, which seemed to mostly be a forest, while this alternates between Tundra and snowy mountains, but at least its all pretty.  :lol   And I'm having a ton of fun finding little camps or ruins everywhere.  Plus, there's a superfun of dragonslaying.  I'm actually having fun with an Elder Scrolls game rather than groaning to myself.

As for the towns, its an RPG, how much complexity are you really expecting?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #1221 on: December 25, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1223 on: December 25, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
Even with the nasty PS3 lag?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1224 on: December 25, 2011, 09:05:58 PM »
Not everyone is getting it and there are some workarounds to help with it. For example: https://www.ign.com/wikis/the-elder-scrolls-5-skyrim/PlayStation_3_Issues