Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 267429 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #1120 on: December 06, 2011, 02:40:16 PM »

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1121 on: December 06, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »
Yep. It's random:

I see.  I considered that too because I was in Ivarstead before and never saw him, and I haven't seen him on any of my other characters.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1122 on: December 07, 2011, 07:49:01 AM »
I have 134 hours of gameplay in Skyrim. Yesterday I noticed I hadn't done the main quest beyond unlocking all of Unrelenting Force. I opted to finish it. After that, I've decided to officially give this game the snapple review.

The Snapple Review - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I have never anticipated a game's release as much as I did Skyrim. When the official teaser came out, I literally got chills up and down my spine. It's hard for me to go back and relive that moment. So much has happened in my life since then that it has been hard to rank my emotions about Skyrim over the things in my life (you know, planning a wedding, being told to quit helping with said wedding plans and such). Even so, my expectations about were amazingly high. So, I'll just get down to the gritty. I'll start with what jumped out at me to begin with. I won't talk about the environments, just the game play.

1.) The Leveling and Attribute (or lack-thereof)

I was incredibly please that they got rid of the leveling systems from Morrowind and Oblivion. Oblivion's was worse because of the asinine scaling system. Skyrim's leveling comes incredibly fluid and feels much more rewarding compared to the previous games. You don't have to sleep to level up anymore, and you got the rewards instantly. I guess it's hard to revel over it, it comes as much more standard compared to other games. But it is missing something. The attribute system could have been fixed instead of removed. This is a role playing game. I expect to have Strength, Intelligence and Stamina (which IS technically in the game) in the game, at least. I always thought the Elder Scroll games had it right with the different attributes and how they governed skills. To save this review from becoming an essay, here is a link that explains the attribute system in Oblivion and why it was so absurd (https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling). There were modifications (mods) for the PC version that allowed players to "beat" the system. I used them because it made the game feel less, annoying? I never understood why ALL bandits had glass armor when I was level 50. Why? They're bandits! Remember the words I used to describe this? Absurd and asinine.

Now, like I said I used modifications to fix this. There was one, which it's name escapes me, that basically allowed you to get the max attribute points as long as you leveled a skill that was related to it. In Oblivion, you could only pick 3 attributes to increase on a level up, so the mod wasn't incredibly broken. But you could tell that it made the game different. I don't mean that in a good or bad way. The game just felt abused at that point. Like, why can't I play this game correctly? Then I would go back and try and remember why I installed the mod in the first place.

What could Skyrim have done? Well, I'm not a game designer. I'm a gamer. I don't see anything wrong with just picking the attributes you want to level. You know, like every other RPG does. Get a level, get 10 or so attribute points and spend them wisely. Skyrim essentially lets you do that now (Magicka, Health and Stamina). But attributes in Oblivion affected gameplay more. Strength increased the damage you did. What does Skyrim introduce to fix that?

Perks. You are given a perk point at every level up. You choose a perk you want to level up in one of your skills to make it become more powerful. While I think the system is cool, it has some glaring flaws. First of all there are more than 250 perks available and you only get 80 maximum perk points per character. What the crap? Oblivion's crappy system aside, if I wanted to be an omnipotent harbinger of doom and destruction, I could be. In Skyrim, I'm limited by my perk points. It makes some skills ultimately useless or impossible to use without the use of perks. Just look at the perk trees in any of the schools of magic. If you see "spells of this level cost 50% less magicka to cast" you'll see my point.

2.) Feeling "part" of the world and quests.

I feel that Skyrim really nails this point. There are essentially two points that are missed. For spoiler purposes, I'll just say there is no drastic change after the Dark Brotherhood and the Imperial/Stormcloak quest-lines. But, you feel like the world lives and breathes around you. People know you're the Dovahkiin. But some people don't care, some people don't buy into that stuff. It's like the world is today. The NPCs around the world have their own problems. There is a civil war going on, who the crap cares about the Dovahkiin when they can't put food on the table? I also love the blatant racism in the game. Nords hate anything that isn't a Nord. It's great.

I've read numerous complaints about quests being easy or quest-lines being too fast. Well, yeah sort of yes to both. But did you listen to the NPCs? Did you read the texts given to you? Did you allow yourself to be immersed in the lore? I didn't do that all the time, but it's there for you. If you actually pay attention to the story, you'll realize how much life there is in the world.

Either way, I feel part of the world and I cannot complain.

3.) Dragons OMGOSH WTHECK! (20 levels later) Ughhh dragons, OMGOSH WTHECK DRAUGR DEATHLORD

This part is small. Dragons are awesome. But I want them to be annoying and strong no matter what. Why are bears at low levels more of a threat than Dragons?

4.) Anything I've missed...

Smithing+Enchanting+Sneak really need to be fixed. Smithing shouldn't be able to be leveled to 100 on just iron daggers. Enchanting shouldn't be the best money maker. And sneak is just insanely good at level 100.
Destruction needs a serious boost. It is essentially useless at higher levels.
Bugs happen in all games. In a game as huge as this? Just save often. Get a bug? Load an older save. It isn't hard, sheesh.

Well, I have to say that this game is amazing and is miles beyond Oblivion in most aspects. In a few parts, that I highlighted, it falls short. In January when the Creation Kit is released, I expect many of these things to be fixed with mods. But, I do feel that sense of "I'm not playing the game the way it was made" with mods.

For me, 10/10, 100/100. The flaws are vastly outshined by the amazingness of the rest of the game.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1123 on: December 07, 2011, 08:40:32 AM »
OK, so you can only go to level fifty, but you get 80 perk points? Don't get that. I usually just get one point per level, so how does that work?

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1124 on: December 07, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »
You can level until all of your skills reach 100, which is level 81.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1125 on: December 07, 2011, 09:03:00 AM »
Still don't have this game, but I've been watching the PS3 patch fiasco. Seems the one released yesterday hasn't helped most players either.

So my question is, does the bug affect all models of the PD3, or only certain ones? And since I have no prior game save, would the patch take care of the issues right off the bat?

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1126 on: December 07, 2011, 09:10:13 AM »
Companions and summons can be so annoying sometimes, blocking you from retreating so you have to tank with a robe, or lagging far behind and not participating in combat at all.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:19 AM »
In Oblivion, I just set all the skills I actually used in the minor skill section and all the ones I didn't use in the major skill section.

Made the game so easy.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1128 on: December 07, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
In Oblivion, I just set all the skills I actually used in the minor skill section and all the ones I didn't use in the major skill section.

Made the game so easy.

But isn't that beyond retarded?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1129 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
Just saw this:

During the quest Darkness Returns, you can recover Nystrom's Journal, detailing a plot by two individuals to try and infiltrate the dungeon and its priests. The two are Nystrom and Anders, a reference to Anders Nystrom, guitarist and songwriter from Swedish death metal band Katatonia.
The terms in the last paragraph: "He also mumbled some nonsensical phrases like 'night is the new day' and how he was the 'ghost of the sun.' I have no idea what these cryptic sentiments mean, but hopefully during tomorrow's ritual, Anders and I will put everything we've learned to the test." are references to multiple Katatonia albums and songs- the most obvious being the album Night is the New Day and the song "Ghost of the Sun" from the album Viva Emptiness.
When completing this quest, the player jumps into a hole. In the hole is a skeleton containing "Ander's Note".

That's awesome. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: December 07, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »

Made the game so easy.

But isn't that beyond retarded?
It's pretty stupid that you have to "cheat" the system but I wasn't that bothered about it.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1131 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
A Night to Remember is so fucked up when you are married to Ysolda, the whole dialogue is lol.  :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1132 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:18 AM »
A Night to Remember is so fucked up when you are married to Ysolda, the whole dialogue is lol.  :lol
You mean Moira, right? Yeah that's my favourite part of the game. :rollin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1133 on: December 07, 2011, 11:46:55 AM »
Nah Ysolda, in the quest I had to talk to her.. and she's like "what did you do to your fiancee?" (quest-related), and I'm like "bitch, you ARE my wife".  :lol
Then she proceeded to have a long dialogue about my "wedding" when I'm actually married to her.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1134 on: December 07, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
Skyrim froze on me, so I restarted the PS3. And when I started it up again, it says the file system has to be checked because it may be corrupt. WTF! If Skyrim can actually corrupt the hard drive on the PS3, it will seriously fuck up my opinion of the game I've spent more than 20 hours into.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1135 on: December 07, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
Skyrim froze on me, so I restarted the PS3. And when I started it up again, it says the file system has to be checked because it may be corrupt. WTF! If Skyrim can actually corrupt the hard drive on the PS3, it will seriously fuck up my opinion of the game I've spent more than 20 hours into.

I heard there is an issue regarding the save files. Apparently the save file keep growing until your hard drive is at capacity. BALLS

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1136 on: December 07, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
That is why you play it on PC. :)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1137 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »
This issue is not BECAUSE of Skyrim, it can happen if the PS3 freezes playing any game. It happened to me while playing BF3 last week. It happened to a friend of mine while playing AC: Revelations last night.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »
That is why you play it on PC. :)

Because there are never any problems on a PC.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:19 PM »
Never

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1140 on: December 07, 2011, 01:52:40 PM »
Ever
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1141 on: December 07, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
This issue is not BECAUSE of Skyrim, it can happen if the PS3 freezes playing any game. It happened to me while playing BF3 last week. It happened to a friend of mine while playing AC: Revelations last night.
Ah, I see. Fortunally, everything seems all right with the PS3.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1142 on: December 07, 2011, 04:09:44 PM »
What could Skyrim have done? Well, I'm not a game designer. I'm a gamer. I don't see anything wrong with just picking the attributes you want to level. You know, like every other RPG does. Get a level, get 10 or so attribute points and spend them wisely. Skyrim essentially lets you do that now (Magicka, Health and Stamina). But attributes in Oblivion affected gameplay more. Strength increased the damage you did. What does Skyrim introduce to fix that?

I'm sure some would call it 'dumbing it down', but getting rid of attributes made total sense to me. All of the attributes were pretty damned redundant alongside their associated skills, and some of them were virtually useless, not to mention nigh-impossible to level (luck and personality, I'm looking at you).

From a design perspective, attributes are really just a relic from pen and paper RPGs, where they're basically required in some form. The games are far more open ended, and the GM needs the tools in place to solve an unpredictable breadth of problems. However, in Skyrim they're rather pointless. You already have skills that control damage and such, why have attributes that affect it as well? Furthermore, they just cloud up the consequences of a player's leveling choices. The perk and health/magicka/stamina choices all have clear benefits and future possibilities - you get +10 points to X, and you get Y% more damage, or defense, or can craft Z, or whatever.

Agreed about the perk cap though. It's not a huge deal to me cause I was never really into the whole demigod character thing, but I still don't see why it's there.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ehra

« Reply #1143 on: December 07, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
Like Sigz pointed out, they were redundant. You really don't need two separate stats that increase weapon damage (strength and your weapon skill). Attributes and skills did nearly the exact same thing, and skills did it in a far more interesting way. Makes sense to me why attributes would be axed.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1144 on: December 07, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »

I'm sure some would call it 'dumbing it down', but getting rid of attributes made total sense to me. All of the attributes were pretty damned redundant alongside their associated skills, and some of them were virtually useless, not to mention nigh-impossible to level (luck and personality, I'm looking at you).

From a design perspective, attributes are really just a relic from pen and paper RPGs, where they're basically required in some form. The games are far more open ended, and the GM needs the tools in place to solve an unpredictable breadth of problems. However, in Skyrim they're rather pointless. You already have skills that control damage and such, why have attributes that affect it as well? Furthermore, they just cloud up the consequences of a player's leveling choices. The perk and health/magicka/stamina choices all have clear benefits and future possibilities - you get +10 points to X, and you get Y% more damage, or defense, or can craft Z, or whatever.

Agreed about the perk cap though. It's not a huge deal to me cause I was never really into the whole demigod character thing, but I still don't see why it's there.

Completely valid point.

I'm tempted to get a mod that allows Dragon Souls to be converted to perk points. But again, it just feels dirty to me. Like, it wasn't supposed to be that way. I suppose I should get to 81 on a character and see if I feel like needing more perk points.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1145 on: December 07, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
I see the perk cap as a way of Bethesda saying "build another character!"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1146 on: December 07, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
Nah Ysolda, in the quest I had to talk to her.. and she's like "what did you do to your fiancee?" (quest-related), and I'm like "bitch, you ARE my wife".  :lol
Then she proceeded to have a long dialogue about my "wedding" when I'm actually married to her.
Oh I never got that! :lol I still love the Moira dialogue though. First time I'm doing the quest:

*hagraven pops out*

"DARRRLIIIING!"

Me: LOLWUT

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13:50 AM »
Man, Markath is all screwed up. I just did the Forsworn conspiracy quest and, combined with another one I did, I'm pretty sure half of the NPCs have been cleared out of that city. What a den of corruption.

Too bad the Foresworn Conspiracy quest is broken-- now the guards try and arrest me all the time on "conspiracy" charges. Good thing they can't hurt me much through my daedric armor, though.

Gonna have to move out of Markath. I liked it at first, but me and the lady just find Whiterun to be cozier.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1148 on: December 09, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
I was just viewing the wall posts on the Mythbusters Facebook page ...  :rollin :rollin

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1149 on: December 09, 2011, 11:00:03 AM »
Yeah, it's funny until you go to YouTube and see hundreds of those jokes in the comments section.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1150 on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:52 PM »
I have never anticipated a game's release as much as I did Skyrim. When the official teaser came out, I literally got chills up and down my spine.

You weren't excited before you saw the teaser? I remember hearing about Skyrim at least a year before the trailer came out

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1151 on: December 10, 2011, 12:09:23 AM »
Played for the first time in almost two weeks today. Feels great to finally be slaying dragons again.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: December 10, 2011, 08:22:02 AM »
Fuck dragon armor:

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1153 on: December 10, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »
Daedric is where it's at.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: December 10, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Just completed the main quest.  Level 33 and didn't find it that challenging.  Oh well, I have more than enough quests to complete now!