Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 267554 times)

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #455 on: November 16, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
I hate yet to murder anyone. Apparently I haven't 'lived' yet.  :lol
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Kosmo

« Reply #456 on: November 16, 2011, 12:05:38 AM »
I have, and I'm not even the sneaky type.

I just walk up to the person and swing my axe.  :hat

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #457 on: November 16, 2011, 06:07:31 AM »
WTF people of Rorikstead?! Why do you build your town next to a dragon burial?! And why does Alduin decides to revive him when I'm on my way to Karthspire?!?!

Oh and not five minutes after that, a freaking Blood Dragon comes to fight me as well! FML
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #458 on: November 16, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
Killed the second dragon now!  :D

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: November 16, 2011, 07:26:16 AM »
I'm pret sure I want to get this game, even though I generally dislike RPGs and campaigns. However, with GTA4 my PS3 (launch model), works really hard. The fans go full blast, and the system eventually freezes. This is the only game this happens with. Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, CODs, and everything else work just fine. I fear I'm going to purchase Skyrim and it won't play.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #460 on: November 16, 2011, 07:46:50 AM »
I'm pret sure I want to get this game, even though I generally dislike RPGs and campaigns. However, with GTA4 my PS3 (launch model), works really hard. The fans go full blast, and the system eventually freezes. This is the only game this happens with. Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, CODs, and everything else work just fine. I fear I'm going to purchase Skyrim and it won't play.
It could just as easily be that the GTA4 disc is scratched or something. Why else would it work with anything else? I think you're fine. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #461 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »
Quick question. If I were to eventually buy this game, would I want to do so for PS3 or computer?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:59 AM »
I have a launch model PS3 and I've never had any problems with it, and my house is rather dusty compared to most places.  I'm guessing its your GTA4 disc.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2011, 08:51:48 AM »
Quick question. If I were to eventually buy this game, would I want to do so for PS3 or computer?
PC!

Really, there won't be a whole hell of a lot of difference between any versions of the game now (PC is a tad prettier if you have a nice machine, but not significantly so), but in the long run the PC version will have a greater life span with the huge modding community.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: November 16, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »
So, I've done all the guild quests now. I am level 20.

I let Cicero live. I have more dragon souls than I know what to do with. 99% mage these days.

They seriously need to make enemies have some sort of priority on targets. I was destroying this dragon with some lightning bolt spells and then instead of attacking me, it goes after a bunch of mudcrabs.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
I think it depends on how you want to play Nick.  TES computer games always have more content, which is generally more of a good thing than a bad thing, although there is a chance you could make the game unbalanced and a cake-walk.  The advantage of playing on PS3 is you can play on your best screen (large screen TV) and best audio system.  I'd more comfortable in my leather chair in the living room than I am at my computer chair, so I took that into account.  I have Oblivion for both PS3 and PC and ended up playing the PS3   You won't get the fan made add-ons or the computer interface some prefer on the PS3, but there are other reasons to use the PS3.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »
Depends if you care about mods or not.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I think this game's interface is really, well, shit for PC. Using a 360 controller solves that problem, but it's something to consider. Also, the mouse movement just feels terrible -- I'm not sure if it's due to mouse acceleration or something like that but it felt like crap to me.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
Did Golden Claw last night and got up to level 5. Camilla decided not to tell me how to get up to the top of Borrows Bleak or whatever. Probably becuase I told her about Faelods lies and she told me to talk to Sven. So, I had to find my own way up. Went at it head on. Started making impossible jumps along rocks and hills. Eventually got up there. Soon as I did I noticed there was a real way up there, stairs and all. But I feel good about exploiting the game physics for my own gain.

Anyway, time to play more.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: November 16, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
I did that to get up the bigass mountain that the Graybeards are on. Took me like half an hour of retarded diagonal running and jump spamming to get up to where I eventually saw a nice little path that I could have just taken. :lol

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:24 AM »
This is just my opinion, but I think this game's interface is really, well, shit for PC. Using a 360 controller solves that problem, but it's something to consider. Also, the mouse movement just feels terrible -- I'm not sure if it's due to mouse acceleration or something like that but it felt like crap to me.
Yes. It feels like a poor console port :/

Edit: Particularly the menu that opens after you press tab (magic, items etc.). You can tell that one was directly lifted from the console version.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:31:34 AM by AcidRainLTE »

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
I did that to get up the bigass mountain that the Graybeards are on. Took me like half an hour of retarded diagonal running and jump spamming to get up to where I eventually saw a nice little path that I could have just taken. :lol

Yeah, I tried finding a route from Riverwood the first time, then noticed that the path starts in Ivarstead when I came back down.  I was wondering why I wasn't seeing the same landmarks.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #472 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »

Yeah, there is terrible mouse lag/sluggishness.  I tried turning off mouse acceleration and v-sync in the config file, but it didn't solve the problem (although it may have helped a little).  Even more annoying is when the game doesn't recognize which selection your mouse is hovering over and when you click it registers something else.  Then there's the star map... oh gawd.  Oh well, there are already many awesome mods out, and the best is yet to come, so PC all the way.

That's tragic because climbing those 7,000 steps to High Hrothgar was the coolest thing I've experienced in this game so far.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:44:26 AM by HarlequinForest »

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2011, 09:45:03 AM »
That troll on the 7,000 steps was a bitch.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #474 on: November 16, 2011, 09:53:06 AM »
I have no idea what mods are, and have never played a game like this with any fervor, just saw the great reviews it was getting and figured I'd try at some point.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:25 AM »

...Ouch.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
I have no idea what mods are, and have never played a game like this with any fervor, just saw the great reviews it was getting and figured I'd try at some point.

:zombie: join us...join us...brains...:zombie:

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
So I was doing the companions thing. And I accidentally hit Vilkor AFTER the spar. And now they're all chasing me. Did I fuck up, or can this be salvaged?

Kosmo

« Reply #478 on: November 16, 2011, 10:23:56 AM »
Load from auto save.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Even more annoying is when the game doesn't recognize which selection your mouse is hovering over and when you click it registers something else.
That is seriously the most annoying thing about the game.

Kosmo

« Reply #480 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Even more annoying is when the game doesn't recognize which selection your mouse is hovering over and when you click it registers something else.
That is seriously the most annoying thing about the game.
Ditto.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #481 on: November 16, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
I have a launch model PS3 and I've never had any problems with it, and my house is rather dusty compared to most places.  I'm guessing its your GTA4 disc.

But it always happens at random times. Sometimes it will happen 30 seconds after I leave my safe house, then other times it might go for 45 minutes before the fans go crazy and freezes.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #482 on: November 16, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »
Yeah, I figured it out. I was hoping I could just pacify the situation. When that didn't work, went into a building hoping to hide from them. Then I died, and that autosave took me back to the building, where they had followed me into. Luckily I still had the autosave from before the sparing.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: November 16, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
Does anyone else have a problem using Shouts sometimes? Every so often the key just... does nothing at all. And I know its not the cooldown either, I can play for hours without using a Shout, then when I need it, it seems I have to mash Z a dozen times for it to actually work.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
Nope but I do have some problems with me pressing ALT instead of Z...some how :lol

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #485 on: November 16, 2011, 10:54:27 AM »

Protip: disable the Xbox 360 controller option in the settings

Protip 2: Open SkyrimPrefs.ini and set bMouseAcceleration=0
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #486 on: November 16, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
I just downloaded Large Address Aware, which makes it so Skyrim can utilize more than 2GB of ram.  I think that is the key to removing the mouse lag, because it's much smoother now, at least on my system.  Also, the extremely annoying and disorienting micro-stutter I got in first-person view, despite high FPS, is mostly gone.

https://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=202

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #487 on: November 16, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
On my way to the Silent Moons Camp, I stumbled upon the Silenced Tongues quest. the Drugar Scourge is one shotting me. Miiight just be over my head here.

Kosmo

« Reply #488 on: November 16, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »
I just ran into some sort of lich wizard after killing a dragon, the damn wizard was ten times harder to kill than the dragon.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #489 on: November 16, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
I've been doing a lot of nature-"exploits" (or whatever you wanna call it), like.. climbing up a mountain, going down a mountain where there really is no path, pretty much just going down slowly via the mountain wall.

Anyone else doing that?  :lol