Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 266182 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 05:53:11 PM »
Okay, so if I want the game at midnight, I need to drive to one GameStop location and pay for it in full in the next hour. Then I can drive 5 miles to wait 3 hours to pick it up at another location at midnight.

Wait till tomorrow, or do all that driving tonight? If I just went in tomorrow to the first location (where I preordered it) I wouldn't need to drive to the other one.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »
Pointless? :P

I'll take a linear, plot driven RPG over a standard wRPG anyway. Aside from things bioware touches, most wRPGs tend to be pretty pointless. Just generic fetch quests that don't advance any real plot. All they really do is get you gold and experience.

I only played a bit of Oblivion. The gameplay wasn't even fun. And from what I understand, it's rather poorly designed for a sandbox game, too. Become the head of the guild? Watch no one treat you differently. Slaughter a town? Watch no one treat you differently. Assassinate an important political figure? Watch no one treat you differently.

I just don't see the appeal. And what's worse is now any linear, story driven RPGs that come out are condemned for not being big open world Oblivion clones.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
Morrowind is my favourite game ever. I've played thousands of hours on that game. I got to around 500 on Oblivion and I've completed more then double what I have on Morrowind heh. Oblivion is still great though. So excited but I'm not gonna play until after exams which is the 21st :(

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »
@Madgician: I agree with a few of those points actually, but I'm still looking forward to this game. I pretty much see it as a different genre from more linear story RPGs.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 06:21:01 PM »
@Madgician: I agree with a few of those points actually, but I'm still looking forward to this game. I pretty much see it as a different genre from more linear story RPGs.

Yepper.

Currently playing a linear, story-driven RPG...will be picking one up around the same time as Skyrim and playing it at the same time.  :biggrin:

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 06:22:32 PM »

Well, such games are generally just lumped under "western RPGs." However, the problem with that is games like Dragon Age, KoToR, etc would go under that. Being western RPGs. But they're pretty different.

Also, the thing I don't understand about The Elder Scrolls game is this. It's always presented as, and people are always raving about how it's like an MMORPG, but single player. Which, I mean, they basically are. But I don't get it. Why not just play an MMORPG? You'd get basically the same game experience, but with the addition of getting to hang out with people. I mean, sure. There's those few that don't have a stable enough internet connection, or don't want to pay a monthly fee. But I imagine that'd be a pretty niche group.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 06:25:31 PM »

Well, such games are generally just lumped under "western RPGs." However, the problem with that is games like Dragon Age, KoToR, etc would go under that. Being western RPGs. But they're pretty different.

Also, the thing I don't understand about The Elder Scrolls game is this. It's always presented as, and people are always raving about how it's like an MMORPG, but single player. Which, I mean, they basically are. But I don't get it. Why not just play an MMORPG? You'd get basically the same game experience, but with the addition of getting to hang out with people. I mean, sure. There's those few that don't have a stable enough internet connection, or don't want to pay a monthly fee. But I imagine that'd be a pretty niche group.

I don't know about other TES fans but I'd never say such a nasty, untrue thing about a TES game  :lol

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
I remember that was one of the bigger ways of describing Morrowind. The description didn't carry to Oblivion as much. But either way, it basically is. Do a bunch of fetch quests for gold and experience to level up and put skill points in place and get better gear.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »

You're completely missing the point.

Like, completely.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »
Enlighten me?

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
Well for one, TES games actually...end, instead of being chore-like.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
Just pre-purchased it today, got it all preloaded. Just a few more hours!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2011, 06:39:27 PM »
The fetch quests felt pretty chore-like to me, personally. And I mean, there's not a real end to Oblivion, from what I've heard. You become the arch-mage or whatever. And then you can keep playing and your status as arch-mage has no effect on anything. You can just keep going until you complete all the side quests and hit the level cap.

So, honestly, I'm not seeing the difference.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
The fetch quests felt pretty chore-like to me, personally. And I mean, there's not a real end to Oblivion, from what I've heard. You become the arch-mage or whatever. And then you can keep playing and your status as arch-mage has no effect on anything. You can just keep going until you complete all the side quests and hit the level cap.

Well, using the Arch-mage as an example, it does have effects. You get a free house with unique stuff in it and people of that faction will treat you differently. Obviously the blacksmith doesn't give a shit that you're the archmage, so he treats you the same way.

Besides that...there are actually very few fetch quests in TES...especially not of the "Slaughter common monsters all day until they drop 20 of some item" kind. At worst you get "Go kill Steve and bring me his sword". Most of the quests are more interesting though, like you have to investigate stuff and talk to people...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2011, 06:48:56 PM »
How is TES anything like an MMORPG? You act like it's just all about doing fetch quests and killing x amount of x monster. It is almost never like that.

Parts of Oblivion were chore-like, but it was a really cool game. Not as well-done in the "your actions have a point" department as Fallout, but still much better than an MMORPG would have been, where the big boss you killed respawns for the next guy 2 minutes later

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2011, 06:53:30 PM »
I played more of Morrowind than I did Oblivion, so maybe Oblivion actually was a bit better. But honestly, both were completely boring to me. It basically felt like I was playing an MMOPRG, more or less. I really don't see what the huge draw is.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2011, 06:58:01 PM »
What makes The Elder Scrolls games great is that there is no set goal, and there's absolutely no set path. You don't want to do one of the 'fetch quests'? (which, by the way, is a ridiculous statement. There's a ton of really interesting quests in all the games) Then don't - just go explore. There are dozens if not hundreds of stories, both written and emergent, just waiting to be found. Christ, on one of my first characters in Morrowind, I accidentally entered a vampire den while searching for the dungeon on one of those 'fetch quests', caught vampirism before getting out, became a vampire, and then spent hours trying to track down the rare book I needed that described the cure, then carrying out the cure from the book. All while trying to stay alive, (read: drinking blood) and getting no help from anyone, as every NPC would either refuse to talk to me or try to kill me, even my own guild.

I mean, I've never had an experience even close to that in an MMO.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
Saw Sigz ninja'd me, read his post, and then deleted my own.

That sums it up perfectly, Sigz. The games are fucking awesome. In Oblivion, I became a thief. Those thieve's guild quests were AWESOME, especially higher up ones. I mean, breaking into a castle, stealing rare things from a princess's bedroom, and then darting out hoping no guards would spot me was awesome. I have never experienced anything like that in an MMORPG.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
I agree with Sigz. But thats a major reason why I preferred Morrowind, because everything wasn't level scaled so you could go into a cave and get slaughtered at a low level as opposed to Oblivion where you could go into any cave at any level and know you could take whatever was in there.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2011, 07:06:07 PM »
I agree with Sigz. But thats a major reason why I preferred Morrowind, because everything wasn't level scaled so you could go into a cave and get slaughtered at a low level as opposed to Oblivion where you could go into any cave at any level and know you could take whatever was in there.

Agreed, though Oscuro's Oblivion Overhall really helped that.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:30 PM »
Pointless? :P

I'll take a linear, plot driven RPG over a standard wRPG anyway. Aside from things bioware touches, most wRPGs tend to be pretty pointless. Just generic fetch quests that don't advance any real plot. All they really do is get you gold and experience.

I only played a bit of Oblivion. The gameplay wasn't even fun. And from what I understand, it's rather poorly designed for a sandbox game, too. Become the head of the guild? Watch no one treat you differently. Slaughter a town? Watch no one treat you differently. Assassinate an important political figure? Watch no one treat you differently.

I just don't see the appeal. And what's worse is now any linear, story driven RPGs that come out are condemned for not being big open world Oblivion clones.
So games are supposed to be 100% realistic then? :P

Also:
Become the head of the guild? Watch no one treat you differently.
wat

Offline Summers

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »
The only similarities between TES/Fallout and a typical MMO besides the obvious RPG characteristics are the open-ended, open world gameplay styles.  It ends there.  Playing a TES game is nothing like playing an MMO.  The quests are totally different, the playstyle is totally different (at least mine is).  The way I play a game like Skyrim is I become totally immersed in my character and the world.  I use my imagination to spice things up.  I'm not just playing a game and doing quests to level my character up and get cool new stuff, I am living another life in another world.  You have control over everything. 
Getting awful crowded in my sky.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
Yeah, you got it summers.

When I'm playing an MMORPG, my interest virtually ends as soon as I stop being able to find people to play with because after that it's just like doing chores. With Bethesda games, I'm actually role-playing while I'm role-playing... just having fun. That's kinda the point of a sand-box type game.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2011, 07:33:49 PM »
What makes The Elder Scrolls games great is that there is no set goal, and there's absolutely no set path. You don't want to do one of the 'fetch quests'? (which, by the way, is a ridiculous statement. There's a ton of really interesting quests in all the games) Then don't - just go explore. There are dozens if not hundreds of stories, both written and emergent, just waiting to be found. Christ, on one of my first characters in Morrowind, I accidentally entered a vampire den while searching for the dungeon on one of those 'fetch quests', caught vampirism before getting out, became a vampire, and then spent hours trying to track down the rare book I needed that described the cure, then carrying out the cure from the book. All while trying to stay alive, (read: drinking blood) and getting no help from anyone, as every NPC would either refuse to talk to me or try to kill me, even my own guild.

I mean, I've never had an experience even close to that in an MMO.

Honestly, I like having a set goal and path. I like starting at A and knowing I have to get to B so I can get to C so I can get to D. Sure, I"m going to explore around B before I head to C. But I'm going to go there. Like I said, I prefer linear, story driven RPGs.

So games are supposed to be 100% realistic then? :P

Not exactly sure where you got that. That's pretty much the opposite of my taste in video games, over all. Halo over CoD, for me.

The only similarities between TES/Fallout and a typical MMO besides the obvious RPG characteristics are the open-ended, open world gameplay styles.  It ends there.  Playing a TES game is nothing like playing an MMO.  The quests are totally different, the playstyle is totally different (at least mine is).  The way I play a game like Skyrim is I become totally immersed in my character and the world.  I use my imagination to spice things up.  I'm not just playing a game and doing quests to level my character up and get cool new stuff, I am living another life in another world.  You have control over everything. 

I never really felt like TES was very immersive. I just feel like I"m wondering around aimlessly without much of a real story going on.

Yeah, you got it summers.

When I'm playing an MMORPG, my interest virtually ends as soon as I stop being able to find people to play with because after that it's just like doing chores. With Bethesda games, I'm actually role-playing while I'm role-playing... just having fun. That's kinda the point of a sand-box type game.

Personally, I'd much rather be railroaded with a fantastic story than given freedom to wonder about without much of a story.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2011, 07:59:24 PM »
I'm gonna go see Immortals tonight at midnight and am REAAAALLY tempted to just go to walmart or something and pick up Skyrim while im out.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2011, 08:05:38 PM »
I REALLY want to play this but I am poor and have no money and will have to wait until this is discounted/I get a job.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:59 PM »

Agreed, though Oscuro's Oblivion Overhall really helped that.

Yeah true but IMO it shows that Morrowind was the better game when I ended up with game-changing mods like OOO on OB but on Morrowind I either played with a graphics enhancer or just the vanilla game. Either way I'm sure Skyrim will be modded to death so it should be awesome nontheless :)

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »
I think with Skyrim I'm going to play a setup that I had a lot of fun with in Oblivion, that is a Wood Elf specializing in stealth skills, along with archery and alchemy. It was so much fun to be able to clear out a dungoen full of bandits or whatever without them ever realizing I was there  :metal

Another really fun thing I did was a Warrior/Mage type guy.

Both of these characters were really fun due to the roleplaying thing people mentioned before. I created a personality for these guys and acted based on it. The Wood Elf was a serial killer and the Mage was a former criminal trying to straighten himself out but kept falling into his own ways.

A great way to get a lot of fun out of it is to just never use fast travel. You discover so much stuff that way.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Personally, I'd much rather be railroaded with a fantastic story than given freedom to wonder about without much of a story.
That's on you, then. Personally, I have no idea why you're comparing turn-based RPGs with first person RPGs and acting like they're supposed to be the same some how. You wouldn't go into the CoD thread and talk about how much you prefer Metal Gear Solid 4, would you? Or post in Starcraft 2's thread that you think Civ is so much better? They're totally different styles, so why are you coming into a thread about one and belaboring the point that you like something else so much better?

That's awesome, Gen. I've never imagined a Elf serial killer before but I do like that combo. I might try it myself!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:54:46 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »

A great way to get a lot of fun out of it is to just never use fast travel. You discover so much stuff that way.

Yeah, I usually start up one character that just does every skill first and when I've pretty much completed most of the quests and stuff I'll start up other characters that specialize in certain things. Skyrim seems like its gonna be like infinite quests though which should be awesome! And I never fast travel haha. Well occasionally if I'm really lazy :p So much more rewarding to run.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »
I decided to just wait until tomorrow and pick the game up at BestBuy and take my quadrupile points with my Premiere Silver membership.

Since people have been talking about their player templates, I've always been a big proponent of having The Atronach as a birthsign.  The no magica regeneration is a great trade off for absorbing 50% of magic thrown against you.  It actually works really well in a thief/mage combo toon, and is a beast in a heavy armor/weapon/restore template.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 09:11:02 PM »
That's on you, then. Personally, I have no idea why you're comparing turn-based RPGs with first person RPGs and acting like they're supposed to be the same some how. You wouldn't go into the CoD thread and talk about how much you prefer Metal Gear Solid 4, would you? Or post in Starcraft 2's thread that you think Civ is so much better? They're totally different styles, so why are you coming into a thread about one and belaboring the point that you like something else so much better?

That's awesome, Gen. I've never imagined a Elf serial killer before but I do like that combo. I might try it myself!

I simply came in and mentioned that I hadn't, at first, realized it was a TES game. It turned into a friendly debate, which I'm fine with. I enjoy a good friendly debate now and again. It didn't really get heated. I don't think anyone got upset, agitated, or offended. If they did, I apologize.

That said, I'd like to point out that not all linear RPGs are turn based. Action RPGs are pretty great. Such as the ./hack series. Which, ironically, actually IS a single player MMORPG. Also, Kingdom Hearts. Also, I thought TES had the option to do third person? I seem to remember doing that.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »
It does but it's awful. Like zooming into first person in an MMO.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »
I decided to just wait until tomorrow and pick the game up at BestBuy and take my quadrupile points with my Premiere Silver membership.

Since people have been talking about their player templates, I've always been a big proponent of having The Atronach as a birthsign.  The no magica regeneration is a great trade off for absorbing 50% of magic thrown against you.  It actually works really well in a thief/mage combo toon, and is a beast in a heavy armor/weapon/restore template.

They got rid of birthsigns in Skyrim.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2011, 09:26:22 PM »
The Atronach was awesome in Morrowind! Not so much in Oblivion but was fun for a change.