Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 267135 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #350 on: November 14, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Took some screen shots. Even with everything toned down, this game looks amazing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #351 on: November 14, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
I'm at the second town now, Whiterun.
Defeated the first dragon, and bought a horse (as I mentioned earlier), not quite sure what to do now, I do have some minor quests, but not sure which ones are the main ones, I'll probably do a few tomorrow if I have time.
I'm a bit confused about one quest, it's the one where you either help the girl at the inn, or turn her over to the people looking for her, I've read a bit and will probably do the latter, but I am not quite sure where to find those people now...

A funny side note, two assassins/hired thugs tried to ambush and kill me, but I didn't have much problem fighting them off.
Found the contract-item, turns out that 'Hilde' (the npc in Riverwood) had hired them to kill me, because I stole like 6 gold from her house, I can't help but wonder how much she payed to hire the thugs.  :lol
I would go back and kill her, but she seems to sit outside all of the time, and I really don't want the whole town against me just for one kill.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
I would go back and kill her, but she seems to sit outside all of the time, and I really don't want the whole town against me just for one kill.

Sneak.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #353 on: November 14, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

Sneak.

This.  Helps you murder and steal better.  Raise sneak by sneaking around towns.  Just make sure you pop out of your croutch to talk to them.  Or work on your pickpocketing.  It's fun either way.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #354 on: November 14, 2011, 03:11:32 PM »
I love sneak so much  :)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2011, 03:20:31 PM »
I'm at the second town now, Whiterun.
Defeated the first dragon, and bought a horse (as I mentioned earlier), not quite sure what to do now, I do have some minor quests, but not sure which ones are the main ones, I'll probably do a few tomorrow if I have time.
I'm a bit confused about one quest, it's the one where you either help the girl at the inn, or turn her over to the people looking for her, I've read a bit and will probably do the latter, but I am not quite sure where to find those people now...
Rorikstead. If you go to the quest menu and put it as active it should put two icons in your map. One is where the girl is in Whiterun and the other is Rorikstead.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: November 14, 2011, 03:56:49 PM »
I just learned how to craft Dragon Armor.

And of course I've sold every bone and scale I've gotten from dragons, damn.
Damn! You're already level 100 on smithing?! I can't even craft elven armor. :(

I haven't sold them because I bought the house on Whiterun as soon as I got 5000 gold and have been stockpiling every bone and scale there until I can craft it.

What exactly is the benefit of buying a house? I really don't see the point.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline ehra

« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
Generally it's a safe place to keep all of your shit, and you can decorate it to be all nice like.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: November 14, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
Sweet
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
So I've been on edge this entire time whether or not I'd consider Skyrim to be, on almost every level, better than Oblivion. Then I discovered the western half of the map. Holy god damn is it gorgeous. Also some of the quests I've done so far involving the Forsworn (and one involving Daedra) have been so god damn cool.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #360 on: November 14, 2011, 04:56:47 PM »
So I've been on edge this entire time whether or not I'd consider Skyrim to be, on almost every level, better than Oblivion. Then I discovered the western half of the map. Holy god damn is it gorgeous. Also some of the quests I've done so far involving the Forsworn (and one involving Daedra) have been so god damn cool.

I think Skyrim is better simply because of the leveling mechanics. I wish the race bonuses were a little more prominent, but I do like how it plays. Compared to Oblivion, which I did min-max leveling it, this plays very easy.

Essentially, efficient leveling in Oblivion meant you pick a major skill for each attribute (Strength, Int, Willpower, Endurance, Speed, Agility, Personality). Luck isn't included because it's luck. The skills you actually wanted to use you NEVER picked as a major skill. Your major skills helped you level when YOU wanted to level. The idea is that you go for a +5/+5/+5 stat gain every time you level. That means you have to completely control your level gains.  For example, lets say I wanted to level up for the stat gain.

You need 10 level gains in your major skills to level your character in Oblivion.

Let's say I got 9 levels in Blade and 1 in Hand-to-hand. That's +5 to Strength on level up. Neither are major skills (Blunt is the one I choose to be a major skill most of the time. Easier to level than hand-to-hand).
Then let's say I got +7 in Restoration and +3 in Destruction. That's +5 in Willpower. Neither are major skills.
So then, let's say I had Alchemy as a major skill. I could pump out 10 levels no problem and get +5 Intelligence.

That way, when I leveled, I would get +5 Strength, +5 Willpower and +5 Intelligence.

It's a very simplified explanation and I'm leaving stuff out and what not.

What's leveling in Skyrim? BASH SHIT!!!!!!!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #361 on: November 14, 2011, 05:01:33 PM »
What's leveling in Skyrim? BASH SHIT!!!!!!!

It's not even 'bash shit', it's just 'do shit'.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: November 14, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »
Not only that, but monsters don't level WITH YOU anymore. Which is wonderful, because that made no god damn sense in a world such as this. It added no challenge to the game. At least now I feel immersed and know who not to fuck with (i.e. Frost Trolls).

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #363 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:38 PM »
I had a perfect character on Oblivion. Max level, max stats. It honestly was a breeze. Even if you ticked the slider ALL the way up.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: November 14, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
Yeah, if I had to pick one thing that was wrong with Oblivion is that it was too easy.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #365 on: November 14, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »
After just putting in the game, i'm up to lvl 3 after 2.5 hours of gameplay.  :corn

Love the game so far! I've never played Oblivion or the other TES games before, but the Fallout series definitely helped me get a grasp on Skyrim.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #366 on: November 14, 2011, 07:06:48 PM »

Mammoth just chillin' 10 stories up. I'm not sure if a Giant knocked him up there or what, but I was just walking along and saw the Mammoth rise straight up into the air as if on an invisible elevator. He hung out there for a few seconds, then slowly fell back to the ground and died :(

RIP Mammoth, you saw the world from a perspective only few Mammoths have seen.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: November 14, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: November 14, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »
I'm really glad most of the bugs we're seeing so far are hilarious and not game breaking or anything. :lol
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #369 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:13 PM »
Agh I want to play but I have a paper to write COME ON IAN FOCUS
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #370 on: November 14, 2011, 08:04:31 PM »
I'm really glad most of the bugs we're seeing so far are hilarious and not game breaking or anything. :lol
Agreed! Nothing like the cowboy hat from New Vegas!

But I hope Bethesda doesn't take out the whole Giant hits you and sends you to space, it's hilarious every time!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: November 14, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #372 on: November 14, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »

*flying mammoth*

RIP Mammoth, you saw the world from a perspective only few Mammoths have seen.

:rollin
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #373 on: November 14, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
So I was talking to one of my friends who has very similar tastes of games as I do. Tends to pretty much hate Bethesda and TES. He's loving the shit out of Skyrim.

Chances are I'm just gonna grab it while I"m out tomorrow. Stumbled upon some store credit slips to the local game shop. And they sell their new games at 10-20% below average price. Love that place.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #374 on: November 14, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
I. Love. Skyrim. Time to go play for a couple more hours. LET'S GO!!!!!!
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #375 on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »
Just spent about 25 minutes fighting/running from a Frost Troll close to Ivarstead. I managed to lure him out of the way after all that time to get to the Greybeards. I'm sitting at lvl 5 and those Frost Trolls were just fucking me up with ease. Jesus.  :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: November 14, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
I have a companion now, which the Jarl gave me. Can she be permanently killed?

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #377 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
I don't think so. My companion got fucked up by a Frost Troll, but when I got to where I needed to go, she showed up again. So, I'm guessing they can't.  :lol

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #378 on: November 14, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
I actually lured a Frost Troll to the Graybeards place by mistake, I was just trying to get the hell away from the thing and didn't know it would follow me inside. Once inside though, they thoroughly destroyed the thing with like a synchronized 3 way shout, it was awesome :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #379 on: November 14, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »
Not only that, but monsters don't level WITH YOU anymore. Which is wonderful, because that made no god damn sense in a world such as this. It added no challenge to the game. At least now I feel immersed and know who not to fuck with (i.e. Frost Trolls).
I'm not gonna play until my exams are over, and this gives me so much pleasure to read! I just know its gonna be amazing :)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: November 14, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
So I was exploring some Dwarven Ruins just doing my thing, when my goddamn Xbox decides to freeze on me. FUCK THAT. At least I saved after I leveled up in that bitch, I would be REALLY pissed. Although this is probably for the better, because that place was fucking gigantic, and I would have no reason to stop playing, and would just keep going for the rest of the night. Plus there's always tomorrow.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #381 on: November 14, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »
So I was exploring some Dwarven Ruins just doing my thing, when my goddamn Xbox decides to freeze on me. FUCK THAT. At least I saved after I leveled up in that bitch, I would be REALLY pissed. Although this is probably for the better, because that place was fucking gigantic, and I would have no reason to stop playing, and would just keep going for the rest of the night. Plus there's always tomorrow.
Mine freezed on me twice when i was playing tonight. I was also fortunate to have saved recently. I save very often now. lol.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #382 on: November 14, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »
I don't think so. My companion got fucked up by a Frost Troll, but when I got to where I needed to go, she showed up again. So, I'm guessing they can't.  :lol

Idk...Mine got lost in the mountains and I've never seen her since.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #383 on: November 14, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
Mine freezed on me twice when i was playing tonight. I was also fortunate to have saved recently. I save very often now. lol.

Saving often is the best course of action. You literally never know what is going to happen.
prog sucks

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #384 on: November 14, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »

Mine died. In other news, I stumbled upon the first Daedric quest by accident; that was awesome.