Author Topic: SKYRIM!!!  (Read 266857 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: SKYRIM!!!
« Reply #2590 on: May 24, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »
Funny this came back up. I'm sick to death of Skyrim, and I'm nearly to that point with State of Decay, so I'm looking to move onto something else and have been knocking around giving Fallout another shot. I didn't much care for it (F3) way back when, but I'm more interested in these sorts of games now than I was then. Just not sure which incarnation to go for.

I'm actually trying to finish OBLIVION (I've tried twice now, and gotten stymied with the both times; that was on PS3, now I'm trying on Xbox.  Fingers crossed.)   I'm looking for something new too; I have the Far Cry games, and may start there.   Either that or catch up on some of the Assassin's Creed, or Call of Duty games (the last one I finished there was Modern Warfare 2). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2591 on: May 24, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
Fallout 4 was good, seems like a logical choice if you like these types of games.  I found that one had the least replayability though and the first of these games where I didn't care for playing the DLC (even though I bought it  ???).

If you like Call of Duty games, I would recommend Titanfall 2.  Good single player and feels CoD like (it was made by the people who made the original CoDs)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2592 on: May 24, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
My understanding is that Fallout 4 has pretty much zero RPG and is almost entirely scripted. New Vegas sounds like it'd be much closer to Skyrim, in that you develop your character as you wish and make decisions that impact the future of the game. That would be more to my liking.

I'd consider giving Oblivion a shot, but as a rule I hate going backwards. I've seen enough Skyrim that I think Oblivion would just look crappy and dated.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: May 24, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Yea I personally avoid going backwards as well for those reasons.  Honestly, I didn't notice any huge difference between my choices having an impact between 3/NV/4.  They all seemed very similar although 4 did seem to be a little less in terms of dialogue, but there are different endings.  3 was my favorite mostly due to environment and feel of that game.  NV was the exact same game just different location/story.  4 was a noticeable upgrade, but story wasn't as interesting and Boston was my least favorite of the locations.  I put 100 hours in all three, but not much more.  As well as Skyrim.  Usually the 100 hour mark is when I lose interest in these types of games.  I know others have played much more and maybe can give more info to the differences than I can.  I also havent touched 4 in a year and the others in much longer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2594 on: May 24, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
As I recall it was the tone and the environment that I didn't like about 3.

Honestly, I didn't notice any huge difference between my choices having an impact between 3/NV/4.
What about developing your character? That's a component I usually like quite a bit in these sorts of games. It's part of the appeal of Skyrim, though with all of your choices you still always wind up the exact same battle-mage.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2595 on: May 24, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
The system is a bit different in 4 than 3/NV but in the end, it all feels very much the same.

And yea, if you didn't like the environment and tone of 3 but also dont think you'd like less character/storyline development in 4, than NV may be just right for you. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2596 on: May 24, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
I personally thought the story and character aspects were very strong in 4. In particular, the fact that you have proper companions with personalities and stories of their own, rather than Skyrim where your companions just exist to carry stuff for you. And I think the choices you make in the main story in terms of which faction to support are pretty huge, and there's enough in the way of smaller choices along the way to make it very enjoyable. I thought it was a fantatic game.

I loved New Vegas as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: May 24, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
I'm more a story guy.   Bioshock (all three) were just about nirvana for me.  I fell in love with the "Infinite" game, and even got to feel rather protective of Elizabeth.  Assassin's Creed is like that for me too.   I started Fallout NV and it seemed a lot of niggling work to me.   Maybe I should give it another shot. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2598 on: May 24, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
I'm more a story guy.   Bioshock (all three) were just about nirvana for me.  I fell in love with the "Infinite" game, and even got to feel rather protective of Elizabeth.  Assassin's Creed is like that for me too.   I started Fallout NV and it seemed a lot of niggling work to me.   Maybe I should give it another shot. 
Might be that sandbox open world games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout might not be for you. Games like Assassins Creed and Bioshock are a lot more linear narratively. RPGs are often a lot more expansive and involve a lot more tinkering and exploration. There are some that are more concise and focused (Bioware's for example, for the most part) but Bethesda are not that.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2599 on: May 25, 2017, 02:26:28 AM »
I have to recommend Prey if you wan't a game in the same vein as Bioshock mixed with Half Life and Dead Space.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: May 25, 2017, 06:29:26 AM »
Might be that sandbox open world games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout might not be for you. Games like Assassins Creed and Bioshock are a lot more linear narratively. RPGs are often a lot more expansive and involve a lot more tinkering and exploration. There are some that are more concise and focused (Bioware's for example, for the most part) but Bethesda are not that.

This is a good observation, but I think I'm probably somewhere in the middle, with a nod toward the linearity.  Oblivion seems to be pretty close, just a hair on the "too out of control" side.  I like the open world; it just seemed like - in the eight minutes I played Fallout NV that I had to pack my own bullets or some shit (I don't quite remember) and it just seemed, I don't know, so random so soon. 

I should say, I'm a completist of sorts; I printed out all the quests for Oblivion and am checking them off as I complete them (as well as a list of all the caves, mines, and ruins).   I'm also the guy that has made sure I got all the trophies (even on the "Jeopardy!" game I played; ask hef about that one), to 100% (sometimes more) on all the LEGO games I've played.   So it's a little bit of a mix.   

Online kaos2900

« Reply #2601 on: May 25, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »
I LOVED Far Cry 4. It's the only Far Cry game I've played and I can't wait for the Far Cry 5 announcement tomorrow. I think you'd like that game Stads.

In regards to Skyrim, now that I've finished Andromeda I'm ready to jump back in. Installed the remastered edition and can't wait to check out the mods.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2602 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »

This is a good observation, but I think I'm probably somewhere in the middle, with a nod toward the linearity.  Oblivion seems to be pretty close, just a hair on the "too out of control" side.  I like the open world; it just seemed like - in the eight minutes I played Fallout NV that I had to pack my own bullets or some shit (I don't quite remember) and it just seemed, I don't know, so random so soon. 

I should say, I'm a completist of sorts; I printed out all the quests for Oblivion and am checking them off as I complete them (as well as a list of all the caves, mines, and ruins).   I'm also the guy that has made sure I got all the trophies (even on the "Jeopardy!" game I played; ask hef about that one), to 100% (sometimes more) on all the LEGO games I've played.   So it's a little bit of a mix.
I'm absolutely not a completionist. If I do side quests it's to get a specific reward. In GTA they used to give you perks for completing those things. Now it's nothing but bragging rights. Skyrim certainly had a bit of grinding to do, leveling your smithing and alchemy ratings, for example, but that never bothered me. It was profitable as fuck and served numerous purposes. So if you're saying NV had you doing pointless shit for the sake of "realism" then I'm right there with you.
E.F. Benson

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2603 on: May 26, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »

Good luck trying to be a completionist in Elder Scrolls (especially Skyrim). There are SO MANY SIDE QUESTS.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:31 AM »
I LOVED Far Cry 4. It's the only Far Cry game I've played and I can't wait for the Far Cry 5 announcement tomorrow. I think you'd like that game Stads.

In regards to Skyrim, now that I've finished Andromeda I'm ready to jump back in. Installed the remastered edition and can't wait to check out the mods.

Go play the other Far Cry's, they are are really great games. I can't vouch for Primal though, I haven't played that .

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2605 on: May 26, 2017, 08:24:21 AM »

Good luck trying to be a completionist in Elder Scrolls (especially Skyrim). There are SO MANY SIDE QUESTS.
Side quests are fine. I do every one of those I can find. At least with Skyrim you're not constantly trying to collect 100 magic horseshoes, win 12 different archery contests, catch one of every fish, or find 50 hidden runes just to get trophy points. Collecting the stones of whatever just happens while completing other quests and gets you a massive buff in return.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2606 on: June 21, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
So after figuring out quite quickly with FONV that I just hate the whole damn franchise I moved onto Oblivion. I really dig the leveling system. In Skyrim I always seemed to become the exact same player because you master all of the same things. Warrior with a mastery of archery, destruction magic, sneak, enchanting, alchemy, and smithing. They're all required skills and you improve them with practice. Oblivion's system expects you to specialize. You'll only really excel in your class by concentrating on it. Moreover, that excellence is required since you can't craft legendary weapons and armor and enchant them to make spells dirt cheap.

I think this is a nifty concept and I'd like to play creating specific classes of characters. Unfortunately, I find the rest of the game so extraordinarily boring I just can't muster much effort. I'm going along doing various work for the guilds, but outside of the cities the world is just awful. The landscapes are designed so that you really can't go off road. It's nothing but ridges and cliffs. If I can see a point on the map it shouldn't take me 30 minutes to find it because it's surrounded by impassable hills with only one entrance along an unmarked road that approaches from nowhere.

Worse still are the caves. They're indistinguishable from one another, just like the dungeons. There's nothing interesting about them at all. Worse still, they all lead to nowhere. In Skyrim ruins, caves, and dungeons were all circuitous. Here you invariably come across 20 forks and they all lead to dead ends. I suppose that it's certaily more lifelike, but I want to be a gamer, not a spelunker. I've been trying to avoid missions that involve caves as I find them quite insufferable at this point.

I actually enjoyed the arena fighting. Just completed my first contract and I like the folks in the Dark Brotherhood, so I'll probably work on that for a bit. The fighter's and Mage's guilds haven't offered up much fun, though. I'm trying to play enough to see if having a badass character makes it more entertaining. Not sure if I'll get that far, though.

Also, I can't pick a lock to save my life. Maybe you need young person hearing for that or something. The only reason I made it through the first day is because I cheated and gave myself 1000 lockpicks. I'm already down to about 500. No idea how people are supposed to get started in that. I've blown through 75 on a single lock before.
E.F. Benson

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2607 on: June 22, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
Funny. I found everything underground/indoors in Skyrim to be massively boring and repetitive.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: June 22, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
So after figuring out quite quickly with FONV that I just hate the whole damn franchise I moved onto Oblivion. I really dig the leveling system. In Skyrim I always seemed to become the exact same player because you master all of the same things. Warrior with a mastery of archery, destruction magic, sneak, enchanting, alchemy, and smithing. They're all required skills and you improve them with practice. Oblivion's system expects you to specialize. You'll only really excel in your class by concentrating on it. Moreover, that excellence is required since you can't craft legendary weapons and armor and enchant them to make spells dirt cheap.

I think this is a nifty concept and I'd like to play creating specific classes of characters. Unfortunately, I find the rest of the game so extraordinarily boring I just can't muster much effort. I'm going along doing various work for the guilds, but outside of the cities the world is just awful. The landscapes are designed so that you really can't go off road. It's nothing but ridges and cliffs. If I can see a point on the map it shouldn't take me 30 minutes to find it because it's surrounded by impassable hills with only one entrance along an unmarked road that approaches from nowhere.

Worse still are the caves. They're indistinguishable from one another, just like the dungeons. There's nothing interesting about them at all. Worse still, they all lead to nowhere. In Skyrim ruins, caves, and dungeons were all circuitous. Here you invariably come across 20 forks and they all lead to dead ends. I suppose that it's certaily more lifelike, but I want to be a gamer, not a spelunker. I've been trying to avoid missions that involve caves as I find them quite insufferable at this point.

I actually enjoyed the arena fighting. Just completed my first contract and I like the folks in the Dark Brotherhood, so I'll probably work on that for a bit. The fighter's and Mage's guilds haven't offered up much fun, though. I'm trying to play enough to see if having a badass character makes it more entertaining. Not sure if I'll get that far, though.

Also, I can't pick a lock to save my life. Maybe you need young person hearing for that or something. The only reason I made it through the first day is because I cheated and gave myself 1000 lockpicks. I'm already down to about 500. No idea how people are supposed to get started in that. I've blown through 75 on a single lock before.

Complete the Shrine Quest that gets you the Skeleton Key.  (Nocturnal, I think).   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2609 on: June 22, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
I never felt like my character in Skyrim was skilled in everything. I always play archer, and archery, stealth, and smithing were the only attributes I ever leveled up. Any kind of magic and fighting attributes got none of my attention.

I'd like to talk about Skyrim VR for a second. Even though it will likely be watered down graphically, I'd love to try it.I don't even care that I'd have to buy it for a third time, I just don't want to invest all that time again. I'm really hoping they figure out a way to let you pick up in VR where you left off on the remaster. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2610 on: June 27, 2017, 02:50:08 AM »
Oh God, I forgot about Skyrim VR. That's gonna be AMAZING! I don't even care if the graphics are downgraded or that I have to buy a THIRD version of the damn game.  :lol :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2611 on: July 03, 2017, 04:16:57 PM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: July 07, 2017, 10:49:40 AM »
I FINISHED OBLIVION!  On the fourth try!  No "freeze", no "atomic death bomb" or whatever...  I did all but two of the quests (one - Museum of Oddities - I just don't have the patience to randomly search for items on, and the other - Taxonomy of Obsession - I think is glitched (the game freezes every time I go in the house of the person I have to talk to to complete the quest).  So I can quell my OCD for now.  But I got all the Achievements, and I'm DONE with the main quest and the Shivering Isles add on pack!

Now to finish the Zombies trophies for CoD:WaW. 

Any suggestions after that?  I have Assassin's Creed: Revelations, CoD: Black Ops, a Tom Clancy Rainbow Six game (can't remember which one, but not Vegas or Vegas 2), Deux Ex, or Far Cry 2 and 3 on deck.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2613 on: July 07, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
Play the far cry games, they are a blast

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2614 on: July 07, 2017, 10:55:07 AM »
Play the far cry games, they are a blast

Far Cry 3 was one of my favorite games ever. I can't wait for the latest release. I wish the developers could figure out how to get Far Cry's FPV into a GTA game. It's damn near perfect.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2615 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
It gets a good bit of hate but I am just now playing and loving the hell out of Far Cry Primal. It's new aspect of melee and more visceral weaponry is really a breath of fresh air after the now very monotonous and extremely cardboard cutout format of gun-touting, modern day exploration format. In my eyes by FC4 (and probably with FC5), there was such a similarity that the characters didn't really matter (and in my opinion were never even great to begin with, along with the story, with FC3 being the exception). So unless you thought the FC series was a massive storyline and character delving experience, I think you'll enjoy the pretty huge deviation of Primal. I'm liking it waaay more than I thought I would.

On topic, I'm replaying vanilla Skyrim after screwing around with way too many mods.  :lol Gotta say it's nice and nostalgic. It's really great just having the simplicity of exploring again. I also never technically finished the main story so that's a thing.  :laugh: I am however taking full advantage of the terrain jumping glitches to get to places faster.  :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: July 07, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »
I didn't know far cry primal got a lot of hate, most of the complaints that I heard where that it wasn't different enough from far cry, not that it was bad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: July 07, 2017, 12:02:22 PM »
Any suggestions after that?  I have Assassin's Creed: Revelations, CoD: Black Ops, a Tom Clancy Rainbow Six game (can't remember which one, but not Vegas or Vegas 2), Deux Ex, or Far Cry 2 and 3 on deck.

I vote Deux Ex out of that bunch, but I haven't played the Far Cry games.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2618 on: July 23, 2017, 08:26:08 PM »
Here goes skyrim on switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu1lZzzVHW0

I'll most likely get it

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #2619 on: July 31, 2017, 09:58:05 PM »
Here goes skyrim on switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu1lZzzVHW0

I'll most likely get it
I'll definitely get it. I will have bought this game 3 separate times. I don't even care.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2620 on: June 10, 2018, 10:09:03 PM »
Ok, I'll have to eat my own words. TES VI was further along than I thought.

The Elder Scrolls VI E3 Trailer

:metal

Edit: Well actually, after watching it it's pretty clear they have a few years left too go still.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:30:04 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: June 11, 2018, 04:58:25 AM »
I say Starfield next year, Elder Scrolls 2020

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2622 on: June 11, 2018, 05:20:13 AM »
I was gonna be super pissed if there was NO mention of Scrolls 6, so I'm glad they showed the title at the very least.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2623 on: June 11, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
My money's on 4 years off, minimum. I bet they'll announce it for a release in 2021 and then it'll get delayed to late 2022.  11 years after Skyrim.  :lol

It's kind of startling me how long some of these games are in development for these days, and how much one's life can change between titles. Kingdom Hearts 2 to 3 for example, or the entirety of the FF13 saga. And now Skyrim, which feels like forever ago, and we're still so far away from the next installment.

I was really happy to hear about Fallout and ES stuff coming to Switch, I think, so I'll be checking that stuff out.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2624 on: June 11, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
I'm just happy there's something happening in that front. I really hate Fallout, so the last few years have been wasted, AFAIC.

If that is indeed Hammerfell, as the speculation is leaning, that suggests a Redguard dominated story. Wouldn't be my first choice, but it's better than Black Marsh or Elsweyr.
E.F. Benson