Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 572722 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread
« Reply #6160 on: January 20, 2021, 06:48:26 AM »
Gary Hughes, what the fucking fuck is this shit.

https://youtu.be/WAgwrHdrvYA

Fuck me.

I've never heard of him; is he Glenn's brother?  :)   

But seriously, that song MUSICALLY is the bomb.   If we could make an instrumental edit, we'd be on to something.  The dude can flat out PLAY, but the monochromatic singing just doesn't suit that song at ALL.

I can't say who, but I'm doing a review of another really, REALLY good guitar player (well known for his time in two bigtime hard rock/melodic rock acts) and his album is 10 songs of just insane, top flight melodic rock guitar work/composition, but he's got a singer - two of them actually - that are well known on this board and yet... almost every time there are vocals, the songs veer into "blow chunks" territory.  Not quite, but close.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6161 on: January 20, 2021, 06:50:06 AM »
Well for once it was something that I wasn't expecting. Still not good but hey it's nice to see something different.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6162 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:19 AM »
I can't say who, but I'm doing a review of another really, REALLY good guitar player (well known for his time in two bigtime hard rock/melodic rock acts) and his album is 10 songs of just insane, top flight melodic rock guitar work/composition, but he's got a singer - two of them actually - that are well known on this board and yet... almost every time there are vocals, the songs veer into "blow chunks" territory.  Not quite, but close.

Sounds like the new Schenker album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6163 on: January 20, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »

Fuck me.

I've never heard of him; is he Glenn's brother?  :)   

But seriously, that song MUSICALLY is the bomb.   If we could make an instrumental edit, we'd be on to something.  The dude can flat out PLAY, but the monochromatic singing just doesn't suit that song at ALL.

No, not Glenn's brother.  Yeah, I was impressed with the guitar work, musically it is very interesting but the song for me was shit.

Interested who you may be referring to also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6164 on: January 20, 2021, 02:44:57 PM »
My money is on Ted Nugent
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6165 on: January 20, 2021, 03:35:43 PM »
It's Joel Hoekstra (Night Ranger/Whitesnake) featuring Russel Allen and JSS (bk vox).
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6166 on: January 21, 2021, 12:17:44 AM »

Fuck me.

It's finally happened....Country Prog.  :biggrin:
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6167 on: January 21, 2021, 02:20:19 AM »

Fuck me.

To be fair , this is not inconsistent with his early days where his solo releases (both before and after the formation of Ten) were fairly sappy stuff for the most part.

Somehow he seems to save his best production for these efforts (and the Catley stuff) while many of the Ten albums sound like they were recorded in an outdoor dunny.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:56:40 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6168 on: January 21, 2021, 04:13:34 AM »

Fuck me.

To be fair , this is not inconsistent with his early days where his solo releases (both before and after the formation of Ten) were fairly sappy stuff for the most part.

Somehow he seems to save his best production for these efforts (and the Catley stuff) while many of the Ten albums sound like they were recorded in an outdoor dunny.

Good to know.  The only ones I have are the two Future King albums and Veritas which are all quite good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6169 on: January 21, 2021, 04:18:53 AM »
I forgot about Once and Future King , but yeah.............when I think Gary solo albums I am thinking of stuff like Precious Ones.  Quality stuff for the most part but very much on the wimpy side.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6170 on: January 21, 2021, 04:37:21 AM »
I forgot about Once and Future King , but yeah.............when I think Gary solo albums I am thinking of stuff like Precious Ones.  Quality stuff for the most part but very much on the wimpy side.

Yeah, never checked the early ones out.  I'll check them one day.

I did really enjoy Veritas from 2007.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6171 on: January 23, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »
Quote from: My Inbox
Multinational Melodic Hard Rockers Eden's Curse have reformed and have begun working on their sixth studio album, the follow up to 2016's 'Cardinal'.

Founding member and bassist, Paul Logue, who was recently identified as the unnamed Scottish musician working with James LaBrie of Dream Theater on his upcoming new Acoustic Solo album, made the announcement last weekend during a Facebook Live session commemorating the band's 15th anniversary.

After almost two years apart, Logue commented on why ​the band decided to reform now: "There were some things in my personal life that required my undivided attention, coupled with the state of the current music scene that forced us to call it a day. However, what shone through during our time away and really pulled us back in was the love that our dedicated fan base still held for the band and our music. It really humbled us”.

Logue went onto add "The camaraderie in the band is second to none, we really missed each other’s company and making music together. So it was inevitable when we all spoke to each other that we all wanted to get back together".

Joining bassist Logue are Serbian vocalist Nikola Mijic, German virtuoso guitarist and original member Thorsten Koehne, Scottish drummer John Clelland and Finnish keyboard maestro Christian 'Chrism' Pulkkinen, ensuring the ‘Cardinal’ line-up returns in its entirety. It will be the first time Eden’s Curse have retained the same line-up since 2008’s ‘The Second Coming’ release.

“It’s been well documented that we have been through several line-up changes over the years, which happens to most bands. But some stability will do us no harm at all and it’s testament (no pun intended) to how well we get on and respect each other’s role in the band. Eden’s Curse has never been, or will ever be, all about one person. It is the sum of all parts. We are thrilled to be back and cannot wait to get to work on the new album” said Logue.

He also confirmed that he is reaching the final stages of production on the acoustic album with James LaBrie, in which he is also joined by Eden’s Curse keyboard player Chrism. He will concentrate on finishing that record before writing begins in earnest for album number six. “I have several basic music ideas, song titles and lyrical ideas, which are popping into my head continuously and being recorded for later use” Logue added.

Hopefully it's better than Cardinal - that was shyte.  Symphony of Sin was excellent.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6172 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
For the record, I don't think Issa is ugly, and her voice deserves better songwriting. That song was the most Frontiers song that ever Frontiered.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #6173 on: January 23, 2021, 10:44:24 AM »
just in case you missed any album releases this month https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6TDH-gWDzA
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #6174 on: January 23, 2021, 01:59:19 PM »
I wanted to get in on the Frontiers bashing as the new Phantom Elite album arrived yesterday but, alas, there is not an Italian name to be found anywhere in the credits. Sander Gommans is the Executive Producer and everyone seems to be Dutch or German, sans Marina who is Brazilian.

Plus, it's a really good album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6175 on: January 23, 2021, 05:14:10 PM »
I wanted to get in on the Frontiers bashing as the new Phantom Elite album arrived yesterday but, alas, there is not an Italian name to be found anywhere in the credits. Sander Gommans is the Executive Producer and everyone seems to be Dutch or German, sans Marina who is Brazilian.

Plus, it's a really good album.

I heard a bit of their stuff a while back and yeah...........sounds like a band rather than a project.   Muddy production as is to be expected these days and I would've picked Sander's influence even if I didn't know he was in the band.   There's a stong undercurrent of After Forever , which is a good thing for me.   Marina is no Floor Jansen but very good nonetheless.  I will certainly check it out if/when I get time.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6176 on: January 24, 2021, 03:24:27 AM »
Hopefully it's better than Cardinal - that was shyte.  Symphony of Sin was excellent.

I can't agree with this statement enough.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6177 on: January 25, 2021, 01:22:09 PM »
First single from Magnus' metal opera album - Into The Unknown" feat. Noora Louhimo

meh... MK's getting stale.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6178 on: January 25, 2021, 04:52:42 PM »
Hmmm...I actually quite liked that surprisingly.  Better than I expected.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6179 on: January 26, 2021, 06:42:45 AM »
Hmmm...I actually quite liked that surprisingly.  Better than I expected.

Colour me surprised

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6180 on: January 27, 2021, 06:25:33 PM »
I liked it too. Not sure how much replayability it has but I'm interested in hearing the rest of the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6181 on: January 27, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »
I liked it too. Not sure how much replayability it has but I'm interested in hearing the rest of the album.

Same.  I totally wrote it off because of the female only thing but I'll give it a good shot.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6182 on: January 28, 2021, 04:43:54 AM »
I wasn't even going to bother and you guys convinced me...............video unavailable  ::) :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6183 on: January 28, 2021, 04:50:28 AM »
I wasn't even going to bother and you guys convinced me...............video unavailable  ::) :D

That's weird, just checked and still works for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6184 on: January 28, 2021, 04:52:53 AM »

Definitely not available to me.  Who knows? ................Google are in a big fight with the Aussie government and word is they are blocking various things just to let you know they can.  Maybe I am copping one of those situations.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6185 on: January 28, 2021, 05:00:15 AM »

Definitely not available to me.  Who knows? ................Google are in a big fight with the Aussie government and word is they are blocking various things just to let you know they can.  Maybe I am copping one of those situations.

Maybe doing you a favour then mate.  :biggrin:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6186 on: February 05, 2021, 11:59:51 AM »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #6187 on: February 05, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »

Yeah same for me too...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6188 on: February 11, 2021, 02:50:49 PM »
Confession time - I like the new Issa track 😳

https://youtu.be/QyaP3FI6XNU

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6189 on: February 11, 2021, 06:38:32 PM »
Confession time - I like the new Issa track 😳

https://youtu.be/QyaP3FI6XNU

The Covid will wear off...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6190 on: February 12, 2021, 03:36:03 AM »
One of her better vocals but I can understand why that guy was desperately looking for a way out of that video - it was fucking awful  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6191 on: February 12, 2021, 03:51:39 AM »
Issa desperately needs better songwriters.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6192 on: February 12, 2021, 04:08:41 AM »
Fuck, do I have to watch this?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6193 on: February 12, 2021, 04:18:05 AM »
I know it's a style, the AOR sound, but why does it sound like there's one guy, John Frontier writing all this stuff?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6194 on: February 12, 2021, 04:34:09 AM »
I know it's a style, the AOR sound, but why does it sound like there's one guy, John Frontier writing all this stuff?

His name isn't John Frontier, it's Alessandro Del Vicchio.