Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 572852 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Anyone listened to the new Gotthard? I really liked it.

Spun it today.  Very much liked it.  Not sure it was purchase-worthy, but I'll squirrel it away on Spotify and listen to it every couple of years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Really enjoying this Khymera.  Very good simple melodic rock.  Actually reminds me of years ago and the music that made me create this thread.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A solid thread, for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
A solid thread, for sure.

Who said you could come in here?

Offline Lowdz

Played the Khmers today and really enjoyed it. I have to say that the melodic rock stuff I’ve heard recently has been excellent. I’d really fallen out of love with anything new in the genre, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Played the Khmers today and really enjoyed it. I have to say that the melodic rock stuff I’ve heard recently has been excellent. I’d really fallen out of love with anything new in the genre, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised.

It's a great album mate.  A bit of fluff near the end but very good all round.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I wasn't terribly enamoured with it.  There were a couple of keepers, but on the whole it didn't quite click with me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Maybe I'm just in an AOR mood these days.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Nah... it's probably me, cuz Kade liked it too (iirc).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

lol, only posted it two posts above Pauls.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
:lolpalm:  Jesus this has been a long week. Thank god it’s a 3-day weekend. I need a break.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

lol, only posted it two posts above Pauls.

:rollin

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
:lolpalm:  Jesus this has been a long week. Thank god it’s a 3-day weekend. I need a break.

Lol, enjoy your break mate.

Offline Lowdz

Four day weekend for me 😱😀

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
At The Movies - No Easy Way Out (Cover)

Featuring:
Björn Speed Strid- Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals
Chris Laney- Guitars, Backing Vocals
Allan Sørensen- Drums
Morten Sandager- Keyboards
Pontus Egberg- Bass
Pontus Norgren- Solo guitar
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
That's pretty cool...........loved that song as a young kid.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else sample Confess / Burn 'em All?  Not sure if they are on Frontiers or not, but they could be.  Kinda on the heavy side of melodic rock.  I enjoyed it bigly.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Street Symphonies Records, according to Spotify.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Anyone else sample Confess / Burn 'em All?  Not sure if they are on Frontiers or not, but they could be.  Kinda on the heavy side of melodic rock.  I enjoyed it bigly.

Their previous album Haunters was right up there in my Best of 2017 podcast.  I haven't found time to check out their new one - or anything much else lately.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Their previous album Haunters was right up there in my Best of 2017 podcast.  I haven't found time to check out their new one - or anything much else lately.

Ooohhh... thanks for the reminder.  I'll go back and check that one out.

Offline Lowdz

You not on corona lockdown down there Brent?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I am locked away - just don't have any time.  You know all about my big financial disaster a few years back.  Well over the last 12 months I have been working around the clock building a little guitar teaching business.  Did everything myself..............website , marketing, teaching , enquiries/billing, support , etc.........   It was just starting to do well when the big Corona hit and now I have lost a third of the business and have worked 20 hrs a day , 7 days a week the last 3 weeks trying to move the business online , which has added around the clock tech support for people who are struggling to set up something like Zoom (most of em unfortunately) to my list of duties .  I spent most of Easter Sunday in bed with a migraine - the body is fighting back  :lol

So yeah..........not leaving the house but certainly no time (or headspace) to be listening to and enjoying music.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:48:13 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I am locked away - just don't have any time.  You know all about my big financial disaster a few years back.  Well over the last 12 months I have been working around the clock building a little guitar teaching business.  Did everything myself..............website , marketing, teaching , enquiries/billing, support , etc.........   It was just starting to do well when the big Corona hit and now I have lost a third of the business and have worked 20 hrs a day , 7 days a week the last 3 weeks trying to move the business online , which has added around the clock tech support for people who are struggling to set up something like Zoom (most of em unfortunately) to my list of duties .  I spent most of Easter Sunday in bed with a migraine - the body is fighting back  :lol

So yeah..........not leaving the house but certainly no time (or headspace) to be listening to and enjoying music.

Wow mate, that's awesome.  Were you just doing it from home?  Did you have a decent following going?  I might have to look into this Zoom stuff and we can jam together haha.  Do I get a discount on lessons?

Awful timing for you with all this shit though mate.

Offline Lowdz

Have you got back into playing then? Or are you just organising it? I hope you can discover the love of playing again. I’m shit but still enjoy making a racket 😀🤘

Hope the business goes well. I’m back at work tomorrow after the long weekend. My boss asked last week if I would volunteer to work on the “death” ward (that’s how she put it - she needs to work on her sales pitch), for corona patients in the psychiatric hospital. 🤔😳. My youngest boy has anaemia so I declined. If I was single, I probably would.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Have you got back into playing then? Or are you just organising it? I hope you can discover the love of playing again. I’m shit but still enjoy making a racket 😀🤘

Hope the business goes well. I’m back at work tomorrow after the long weekend. My boss asked last week if I would volunteer to work on the “death” ward (that’s how she put it - she needs to work on her sales pitch), for corona patients in the psychiatric hospital. 🤔😳. My youngest boy has anaemia so I declined. If I was single, I probably would.

What a frightening and eye opening experience that would be. 

So we're starting a band then, let's go!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
damn Brent... you just can't catch a break!   :-\  :sadpanda:

Hope moving it online puts you back on a path to success.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow mate, that's awesome.  Were you just doing it from home?  Did you have a decent following going?  I might have to look into this Zoom stuff and we can jam together haha.  Do I get a discount on lessons?

Awful timing for you with all this shit though mate.

A bit of both - some at home (the most profitable) but had also organised a commercial space as parents aren't so happy to drop kids off at someone's house like back in the day.  Having said that though I tend to attract more adults than kids , as we take it more seriously than "have some fun playing songs etc....." And a commercial location adds "cred" and allows you to have a Google My Business listings etc.............

Like most things I have to be a perfectionist so I learned SEO back to front and had my website ranking tops for guitar lessons in most areas of interest.  To start over again online is a massive pain in the ass but I guess after the massive hit I now have a much bigger potential market if I get my shit together.

No worries about a lack of teaching material in the vaults............as you guys know  :lol

A year or so back when everything was basically hopeless financially (still is really.......)-  I thought to myself " if I am going to bounce back again the only way I am going to find the energy is if it's something I can enjoy."   So I decided that I could work the huge hours if a side benefit was being something like the guitarist I know I can be.

Funnily enough I rarely get time to pick it up outside of lessons lol.

My theory knowledge is at an all time high , but my chops................well in a 2020 context I think I am still a pretty decent player and worked my butt off to build myself back up after a couple of decades of barely touching a guitar.  But in my mind (as an 80's child) I still have a looooooong way to go before I am anywhere near happy with my playing.  I haven't come across a student yet who is clearly better than me , so that's the main thing  :lol

damn Brent... you just can't catch a break!   :-\  :sadpanda:

Hope moving it online puts you back on a path to success.

Thanks mate.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Glad to hear that Brent . Wish I’d taken lessons back in the day.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good luck to you Brent.  Since you're back into it, will definitely have to have a jam in the future somehow.  Could even do a Frontiers and record and write music and send to each other and create an album.   ;D

I find it surprising that lessons are still a thing though with youtube and the internet these days but if you are mostly getting adults, that would probably explain that.  The amount of free material out there these days, I would think you'd really have to know your stuff to keep people paying and coming back.

Theory is something I always wanted to learn more of.  I know most my scales and whatnot, but one thing I always wanted to really learn more of is modes.  I know the basics but always struggled learning each one, their relative key/scale and putting it into practice.  Jazz fusion was always something I wanted to learn, e.g. Holdsworth and Gambale.  By the time I got really good and wanted to explore, I got full time work and it was put on the backburner.  I'd love to be able to play that style as well as I play the basic stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We need to do a DTF Zoom session.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I have no idea how Zoom works or where to begin.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You think I do? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh no  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You think I do? :lol

I was gonna say but....  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns