Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 577906 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3360 on: June 04, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
Thanks Tim and Brent, I'll have a look at those.

Paul, I did listen to that RZR album, but really did nothing for me.  I'll have another listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3361 on: June 04, 2015, 10:28:06 PM »
Anyone looking for heavy dose of 80's melodic rock could do worse than check out the new album by Station that I mentioned in the album thread.   After the first couple of tracks I was thinking it was just too retro/cliche but the quality improves and by the end I was quite enjoying it and tolerating the cringe factor.

I am trying to think of something to compare it to - it's fairly wimpy but the guy can really wail and the guitar work is good. Perhaps the wimpy side of Steelheart crossed with the good time feel of early Danger Danger and the odd Journey-ish moment.   I'm sure there's a better comparison but I've been neglecting this style lately and I'm struggling for a good match.  It's 15 tracks long with a few duds but over all it's very competent stuff. 

This isn't one of my favourite songs and is mid range in terms of heaviness on the album but gives an idea of the strength of his voice while on cruise control.  Good young band.

https://youtu.be/pIceQDN6OKk
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3362 on: June 04, 2015, 10:36:23 PM »
Err, didn't do it for me to be honest Brent, and the Whitesnake verses were pretty blatant to me.  Too generic for me at the moment.

The band name just makes me think of this;

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3363 on: June 04, 2015, 10:38:24 PM »
 :lol  After all the recent melodic metal releases they almost sound fresh to me  :)   Oh well......the album is quite varied and like I said - not my fave track but it doesn't surprise me that you're not into it. Can't say that I heard much Whitesnake in it.............more Crazy Lixx or something like that.  I have a few things up my sleeve that I know you'll love but I'm saving them for Tim's roulette  :P
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3364 on: June 04, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »
The verse reminded me of Still of the Night, especially the one after the scream.

You can share the others, we only need to send Winger in his roulette, every member, for every round.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3365 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:05 PM »
You got me - they are Winger demos  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3366 on: June 04, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
The band name just makes me think of this;

You say that as if it's a negative. :lol

Cozmo linked me to some Station a little while ago, and I think I skimmed the album on Spotify. It wasn't bad, but didn't grab me for a repeat listen yet. I'm on the fence about the singer.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3367 on: June 04, 2015, 10:51:35 PM »
I'm on the fence about the singer.

I think this was my biggest issue.  Didn't really rate him, but he can sing okay. 

Also, love that movie, absolute classic.  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3368 on: June 04, 2015, 10:57:18 PM »
Also, love that movie, absolute classic.  :lol

:tup

I'm very fussy with singers, and while I like the sound of his voice, he's not the strongest singer in terms of changing pitch.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3369 on: June 04, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »
I like the singer and think he has pretty amazing power across the range actually............in the song No Way Out he does a full on Steelheart wail into the solo.  Not many singers could even attempt that.

I always fail when I mention bands in this thread haha - losing my touch with this style I think. Best stick to new metal bands :metal
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:30:23 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3370 on: June 05, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
Any Crown of Thorns fans here?   I'll try and have a listen to the new Beauvoir/Free in the next day or two and see if it stacks up to their better stuff (Debut, Lost Cathedral)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3371 on: June 05, 2015, 09:39:15 AM »
Never heard of them?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3372 on: June 05, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
You're in the wrong thread again man  ;D

How can I use the Six Degree of Separation to get Crown of Thorns into terms Mr TAC would understand?

Crown of Thorns has a singer -  the singer is Jean Beauvoir -  Jean played bass on and co-wrote  Thrills In The Night, Who Wants To Be Lonely and Uh! All Night from KISS' Animalize and Asylum albums.

;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3373 on: June 05, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »
Wasn't he in the Plasmatics as well?

I wandered over here after getting lost in the damned Hard Rock thread. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3374 on: June 05, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »

Wasn't he in the Plasmatics as well?

Yes he was - he had a solo album that did okay too (Drums Along The Mohawk). Once you see him you never forget him (black guy with a blonde mohawk)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3375 on: June 05, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3376 on: June 05, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
Love the first CoT album but things got patchy after that. Production got worse too. Hoping for good things from this new one.

The new Trixter is due soon too. Hoping for good things there too. Last one suffered in the production/ mix.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3377 on: June 05, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
I own one COT thorns album but I remember it didn't do much for me.  I'll have to get it out and check it out again.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3378 on: June 05, 2015, 07:39:26 PM »
I own one COT thorns album but I remember it didn't do much for me.  I'll have to get it out and check it out again.

IMHO the debut s/t and Lost Cathedral are head and shoulders above the rest , so bear that in mind.

New Degreed........

https://youtu.be/hhFdHtHXGAg

They've never done much for me and this new song doesn't change things.  It has that "modern rock" vibe that grates on me.

I expect to get  a listen to the new Trixter over the weekend - it's getting great reviews but I'll need to try and turn down my sensitivity to cringe factor as their most recent stuff is just a bit too retro for me.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3379 on: June 08, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
Did we talk about the Age Sten Nilsen's Ammunition album when it came out? PLayed it yesterday and apart from the crap opening track I thought it was pretty good.

Just listening to the Beauvoir Free album and I'm liking it. Its got more of a 70s rock vibe than Crown Of Thorns but pretty solid so far. Trixter up next.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3380 on: June 08, 2015, 04:12:13 PM »
Did we talk about the Age Sten Nilsen's Ammunition album when it came out? PLayed it yesterday and apart from the crap opening track I thought it was pretty good.

Just listening to the Beauvoir Free album and I'm liking it. Its got more of a 70s rock vibe than Crown Of Thorns but pretty solid so far. Trixter up next.

I am pretty sure we talked about the Ammunition album- I agree about the opening track (or two) , but still reckon there's a few more fillers on it.  Another solid album that seems less solid by dragging it out to 13 tracks IMHO.

I haven't got around to the Beauvoir or Trixter as yet.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3381 on: June 08, 2015, 04:14:49 PM »
Do people still listen to Trixter? Did they ever? :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3382 on: June 08, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »

Would you believe me if I said that I was  waiting for that one?  :lol   Their debut was actually pretty damn good IMO for a bunch of teenagers.  Their new one is getting all sorts of great reviews but I expect that I'm going to struggle with them sounding much the same at 50yo.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3383 on: June 08, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
I actually saw them while they way back when. Opened for Rik Emmett.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3384 on: June 08, 2015, 04:55:02 PM »
I didn't care for what I've heard from them.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3385 on: June 08, 2015, 05:10:20 PM »

Would you believe me if I said that I was  waiting for that one?  :lol   Their debut was actually pretty damn good IMO for a bunch of teenagers.  Their new one is getting all sorts of great reviews but I expect that I'm going to struggle with them sounding much the same at 50yo.
They weren't on my radar at all back in the day. I heard Hear! a few years ago and loved it. The first album isn't that great to me. I didn't like the dry production of the last one though it had some good songs. Just played the new one and enjoyed it. Will give it another go in the car tomorrow. Probably enjoyed it more than the beaviorfree. It has a modern sounding production but doesn't suffer for it too much. steve brown has an excellent voice.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3386 on: June 08, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »
I didn't care for what I've heard from them.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3387 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »
Speaking of blasts from the past there's a new Bulletboys I can check out later too if I get time (doubtful)..........I'm assuming it's just Torien and a backing band.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3388 on: June 09, 2015, 03:58:54 AM »
I thought the debut from Bulletboys was pretty decent.  Would never check out anything new from them though

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3389 on: June 09, 2015, 09:48:56 AM »
New Tolkki project video - even with the sound down and the hot chick , this cannot be saved  :lol   One of Frontiers' worst ever projects and videos to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l8MnwcPoCs&feature=youtu.be

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3390 on: June 09, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
I didn't even bother watching it earlier, but those are some piss weak vocals. No comment on the rest, as I didn't have the video playing for long enough. :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3391 on: June 09, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
I thought the debut from Bulletboys was pretty decent.  Would never check out anything new from them though

I liked the first one at the time but the follow up, Freakshow was awful. Haven't heard a note from them since but might just give it a Spotify - you never know.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3392 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
New Tolkki project video - even with the sound down and the hot chick , this cannot be saved  :lol   One of Frontiers' worst ever projects and videos to boot.

Absolute fucking garbage.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3393 on: June 09, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »

Absolute fucking garbage.

Lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3394 on: June 11, 2015, 05:08:22 AM »
New Newman album coming this year.  Pretty pointless snippit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=er7EdfAqMcw