Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 578013 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3325 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:57 PM »
I'm not familiar with those. Are they albums they would normally have given high scores to?

Probably not.  I know the last few Magnum he has rated a bit lower, so they are probably on par, still funny.

Is that the canadian Tom Cochrane from red rider?

Isn't it the Life is A Highway bloke?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3326 on: May 22, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Yes Life is a Highway guy.

Still played in Canada very often

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3327 on: May 24, 2015, 05:04:52 AM »
No shit.  That one song was all we know of him over here.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3328 on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:34 AM »
I'm sure you've heard "lunatic fringe" by his band red rider

Another song that's still played often

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3329 on: May 24, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »
I'm sure you've heard "lunatic fringe" by his band red rider

Another song that's still played often

I sampled that album a while back. Lunatic Fringe is very out of place. The rest of the album isn't very good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3330 on: May 24, 2015, 05:02:05 PM »
Doesn't ring a bell, but I'll youtube it later.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3331 on: May 26, 2015, 05:54:32 AM »
I don't think this lower ratings have anything to do with the retreat/ban of Frontiers.

For the Cochrane rating you just have to read the review. It's not melodic rock, it's blues, country etc. so it doesn't fit his tastes.
And Magnum normally scores in the 90+ region, but this is a live album with really nothing new to it and for that 88% is more than enough.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #3332 on: May 26, 2015, 12:53:08 PM »
I find it hard to judge .I've known Andrew for longer than the site has even been in existence and have always found him to be a stickler for integrity and standards in all areas.   I have as much fun with his review scores as anyone but I would like to think he's just lost the ability to be objective - not through financial inducement but just has the blinkers on when it comes to a certain niche which seems very stale to many of us.   And it's pretty clear to me that most of the patrons of his site share his opinions , so it's not as if he's standing out in that regard.

He has always been on the high side with review scores.I do remember once he gave something Lukather was involved in a low score and Luke didn't speak to him for a while.  He must be under plenty of pressure from his artist contacts/friends and sponsors.
He's had that problem multiple times over the years. Def Leppard loved him when he praised them then shunned him when he was critical of them doing a covers album. Even around when he was trying to transition the site to a full time job I recall commentary on labels pulling or threatening to pull advertising money over poor scores. Being a mixture of news, reviews, and promoter is tough.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3333 on: May 26, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
I just had my first listen to the new TEN album - Isla Del Muerta.

At this point I think it's weaker than Albion . I was told to expect this to be the more hard rocking twin of Albion as The Name of the Rose was to X.    In theory it should sound almost the same as Albion seeing it was written and recorded in the same sessions but to me it's missing an edge that Albion and , much more so , stuff like Spellbound and The Name of the Rose had.  You would think with 3 freakin guitarists that they could get the guitar sound up front enough but no..........it's so compressed that it loses all its edge and pushes Gary's voice too far to the front.  That means that for me the ballads like "This Love" sound the best as that sort of "back seat" guitar sound fits better.  Add some bite to the rhythm guitars and I think this album could rate at least 5 points higher.   Songs like Acquiesce and The Dragon and St George could have been standouts but instead we get the clear vocal melodies on top of the usual "wall of mud" production and this just makes it sound like Ten by the numbers.  A shame.   The highlight for me was the guitar solo in Angel of Darkness - unfortunately not one of the stronger tracks.

I would also say that the vocal melodies in the Ten choruses are getting very samey. But when you release two full studio albums in 6 months you would have to be in a rare zone of form for it to be otherwise.

I'll give it 77%  (Albion was mid 80s)

I feel like a real Scrooge lately with the opinions I'm giving on albums but it is what it is.  it's all the same mostly - decent but nothing special.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 06:20:31 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3334 on: May 27, 2015, 07:11:37 AM »
It's a shame that once again the production plays a big part in the quality of an album, it's getting bad. 

Albion could be a top 3 Ten album for me, I still spin it regulary.  A shame with this one as I thought the production on Albion was quite acceptable.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3335 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:46 AM »
I'll have to go back and spin Albion again soon but I'm pretty sure I didn't criticise its production - weird when you think that this is essentially a double album staggered across a few months.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:23:56 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3336 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:38 AM »
I don't think you did either.  The production for a newer album is fine, and since they were obviously created together, I would have expected the same for this one, a shame.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3337 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:23 AM »
Caught the second half of the Quiet Riot Rock Doc.  Now I need to see it fully.  Not bad.  They showed a bit of them playing live at M3 in 2012.  Not bad at all even though since then, they got rid of that singer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3338 on: May 27, 2015, 02:39:26 PM »
Well if the new Te n doesn't do it for you maybe the Serpentine album will. Its about as close to being Ten as its possible to be. Produced by Gary Hughes too but sounds ok. Not heard Isla DE Muerta yet but he needs a producer. Can' t think why a band would ask him to produce because his ears can't be up to much.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3339 on: May 27, 2015, 03:14:03 PM »
I want to check out that new Serpentine.  I'm sure as I said before that Gary at least wrote that lead song too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3340 on: May 31, 2015, 04:52:35 AM »
Magnus has finished Freefall 2 recording and is starting mixing soon.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3341 on: May 31, 2015, 09:42:30 AM »

Sweet. That should be a fall release I would think. Hopefully around the time of the new Stryper and Saxon

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3342 on: May 31, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
I think I've listened to the first one once since I bought it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3343 on: May 31, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »
I think I've listened to the first one once since I bought it.

You didn't like it?  We all rated it pretty high.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3344 on: May 31, 2015, 04:45:11 PM »
Maybe I'll pull it out again. Seriously, I've only listened to it once. I'm not big on a different singer on every song kind of thing, but you guys were so raving about it, I felt like I was missing out on something.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3345 on: May 31, 2015, 04:55:49 PM »
Definitely give it another spin man.  I know what you mean about having a singer on every different song.  I'm not big into that either, but the album is so killer, it's not an issue.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3346 on: May 31, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »
Maybe I'll pull it out again. Seriously, I've only listened to it once. I'm not big on a different singer on every song kind of thing, but you guys were so raving about it, I felt like I was missing out on something.

I was the same tbh - I thought it was solid but nothing really wowed me.  I also tend to rate the multi-vocalist albums (incl Avantasia etc...) lower than most.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3347 on: June 01, 2015, 02:06:45 AM »
Well Uncle Scrooge is about to shock everyone and praise a new release from one of the big boys of melodic rock.

I have just finished my first listen to the new House of Lords and ,although they've lost much of the atmosphere of classics like the debut and Demons Down ,this is a very strong release.  Unfortunately it's an album of two halves - the second half is a bit by the numbers/dialed in (but still solid) but the first half is very strong.  Not unique enough to be classic but enough going on to really get me rocking out and ........as rarely happens these days .........wanting a 2nd spin right away.

The only other criticism - if I'm being real tough - is that James' voice is wearing a bit with the high stuff and the use of his missus (Robin Beck) on backgrounds sounds a bit out of place at times.

I rate it 84%
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:49:09 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3348 on: June 01, 2015, 05:15:03 AM »
Good rating and looking forward to this one too.  I really like what I've heard from it.  Sounds like it's a big step up from the last one.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3349 on: June 01, 2015, 09:51:11 AM »
Continues the "every other album is a good one" theory then!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3350 on: June 02, 2015, 10:27:30 PM »
Fans of Kelly Keeling - one of the more unique voices around - might want to keep any eye out for this.

https://youtu.be/f0-fET4ao5c

Unfortunately it's very much the usual suspects on board (DelVecchio ,Sall etc...) and a familiar sound , but it could be alright.  I'll check it out when it's released but I think I'll likely just stick to Baton Rouge when I want to hear Kelly.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3351 on: June 03, 2015, 04:54:36 AM »
Fans of Kelly Keeling - one of the more unique voices around - might want to keep any eye out for this.

https://youtu.be/f0-fET4ao5c

Unfortunately it's very much the usual suspects on board (DelVecchio ,Sall etc...) and a familiar sound , but it could be alright.  I'll check it out when it's released but I think I'll likely just stick to Baton Rouge when I want to hear Kelly.

This sounds really good.

When I saw the name I thought it was the Night Ranger drummer.  I have no idea who this guy is.  Good voice though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3352 on: June 03, 2015, 05:57:22 AM »
He was very solid on Michael Schenker's Unforgiven.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3353 on: June 03, 2015, 06:20:34 AM »
Definitely familiar sounding, but I didn't mind it at all. I'm surprised me and wolfking have a similar opinion on something for once. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3354 on: June 03, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
Definitely familiar sounding, but I didn't mind it at all. I'm surprised me and wolfking have a similar opinion on something for once. :lol

It's a festivus miracle!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3355 on: June 03, 2015, 10:21:37 PM »

It's a festivus miracle!

Please, no feats of strength!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3356 on: June 03, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
haha.

Seriously, who is this Keeling guy?  He done anything worthwhile checking out?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3357 on: June 04, 2015, 05:26:37 AM »
haha.

Yes. He sang on Michael Schenker's Unforgiven album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3358 on: June 04, 2015, 05:27:27 AM »
haha.

As I mentioned above Baton Rouge was his main gig but he's appeared on albums by many others including Norum, Blue Murder , MSG.    Baton Rouge was mostly good - it involved Jack Ponti so sounds a bit like Babylon AD if that means anything.    The albums he did with Norum were just okay , but the opening track on the first album (Resurrection Time) is an old fave of mine.  Unfortunately it was downhill from there.   And the second Blue Murder album is pretty average.

He has also done plenty of stuff with Carmine Appice which is a bit hit and miss.  The album he did with King Kobra is pretty crap if memory serves correct.

I would probably try the MSG , Norum and Baton Rouge.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:33:08 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3359 on: June 04, 2015, 12:27:50 PM »
Baton Rouge were pretty good. He sang on the Red Zone Rider album with Vinnie Moore that I keep trying to convince you is great  :biggrin: