Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 573001 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #3010 on: March 22, 2015, 05:42:03 AM »
Billy Idol is still cool, even though a lot of his music sucks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3011 on: March 22, 2015, 09:10:27 AM »
He has a handful of songs that I like.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3012 on: March 23, 2015, 04:28:52 PM »
I never bothered much with The Darkness but this newie ain't bad at all with it's Cult vibe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd3oJS_gzTk&feature=youtu.be
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3013 on: March 24, 2015, 03:07:55 AM »
I never bothered much with The Darkness but this newie ain't bad at all with it's Cult vibe. 

Meh

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3014 on: March 24, 2015, 05:38:07 AM »

Meh

I thought this too.  It was alright, but nothing I'd get into.  I didn't mind that 80's Cult vibe either Brent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3015 on: March 24, 2015, 05:39:04 AM »
I agree.........nothing I'll be buying but clearly a step up from the shite that I expect from them and I found it a decent listen.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3016 on: March 24, 2015, 06:07:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zOl3kg2lAE

Another Kiske/Sommerville song.  Karlsson by numbers really, but a decent song for a single I guess.  Some Karlsson shred is always welcome though.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3017 on: March 24, 2015, 06:39:30 AM »
The whole album is Karlsson by numbers, I think, though I'm not largely familiar with the guy yet. I quite liked it actually. I only gave it two spins so far though, was busy with the roulette and other stuff.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3018 on: March 24, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »
The whole album is Karlsson by numbers, I think, though I'm not largely familiar with the guy yet. I quite liked it actually. I only gave it two spins so far though, was busy with the roulette and other stuff.

I'm guessing you're just assuming?

Saying that, I think you are going to be right.  I believe he put a lot of his work into Primal Fear last year and all his current top ideas, probably are going into Freefall 2.  Even though this song is pure pop, after one listen it's annoyingly stuck in my head, it's not bad and I'm sure there will be slightly heavier moments on the album like the other song.

The only thing about Magnus IMO is that his guitar playing has suffered slightly over the years with the amount of projects.  His leads are still better than most out there but you can tell he doesn't put as much thought in them like he did in the past.  Check out Last Tribe, so many creative and amazing solos on those albums.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3019 on: March 24, 2015, 10:29:04 PM »

I'm guessing you're just assuming?

Saying that, I think you are going to be right.  I believe he put a lot of his work into Primal Fear last year and all his current top ideas, probably are going into Freefall 2.  Even though this song is pure pop, after one listen it's annoyingly stuck in my head, it's not bad and I'm sure there will be slightly heavier moments on the album like the other song.

The only thing about Magnus IMO is that his guitar playing has suffered slightly over the years with the amount of projects.  His leads are still better than most out there but you can tell he doesn't put as much thought in them like he did in the past.  Check out Last Tribe, so many creative and amazing solos on those albums.

No, I've heard the whole thing, got a promo a week ago or something like that.

I'll definitely check Last Tribe out since you've sent them in my roulette, they're pretty high on my check out list.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: March 25, 2015, 05:42:50 AM »
Wow, that's early.  Any other thoughts on it?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3021 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:33 AM »
New Peterik & Scherer song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QBdhQ8uFVs

Yup, that's my kind of stuff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3022 on: March 25, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »
Pretty classic Survivor style there .  I'm not sure that this guy sounds different enough to Toby to make it worth the change in singing partner (possibly a touch weaker than Toby).   I think I'd actually prefer a more gritty vocal like Jamison (RIP) on something like this anyway , but I'll be keeping an eye on this all the same.  The few people I know who've heard the whole album say it's really good.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3023 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
I usually prefer a grittier voice too, but I like this guy anyway. I like this slightly heavier Survivor style of melodic rock, and if this is indicative of the album, I'll enjoy it a lot.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3024 on: March 25, 2015, 11:07:09 AM »
New samples for the upcoming Nelson album "Peace Out". I loved Lighting Strikes Twice, and these samples sound very promising so far, a bit of a progression in style but not too different, with even nicer production. Very excited for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_d0YTF5fro

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3025 on: March 25, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
New samples for the upcoming Nelson album "Peace Out". I loved Lighting Strikes Twice, and these samples sound very promising so far, a bit of a progression in style but not too different, with even nicer production. Very excited for this one.

Wow!  I like the rawness of the tunes.  Very cool.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3026 on: March 25, 2015, 12:36:16 PM »

Yeah, quite early, and the funny thing I don't even have to review it, some other author claimed it earlier. :lol

So yeah, other thoughts, here we go. I think the songs can be grouped in basically three categories: alright / better than alright; good but pretty cheesy; awesome. The former is a pretty large category, I think I would put more than half of the song from the album here, and their biggest problem is they are all very similar in vibe and structure to title track. Well, of course there are some differences, but I think Open Your Eyes, Last Goodbye, Run With a Dream, and maybe Lights Out are all kind of the same thing repeated over and over, in my opinion. It does make a rocking album though. Also, Walk on Water, After the Night is Over and Right Now are also in the alright category for me.

Good but pretty cheesy, that's more interesting. This one includes Salvation, which is pretty good song but when the chorus hits and the lyrics go "Salvation! I can't resist your temptation!" I just want to do a facepalm or two; and also Breaking Neptune, which is basically an enhanced version of Walk on Water, but more likable.

Awesome category has only two songs in my book, but they just do up my enjoyment from the album a fair notch. First is Rising Up (like a phoenix from the flame, no less), great fast rocking track with nice keyboard arrangements and overall just amazing (City of Heroes and other heavier tunes pale in comparison), and I also love Amanda's voice on this one. The second awesome song is Ocean of Tears, but I'm just a general fan of ballads, so don't get your hopes up. This song is really unique here though, the only true ballad on the album, with something that sounds like a violin and cello, clear soulful voices of Amanda and Michael, well I just love this song. It's cheesy and sugary, yes, just as I like my hard rock ballads. :lol

I can also say Amanda's and Michael's voices are distributed pretty evenly on the album, maybe even 50 / 50, mostly because of the songs' usual structure. Often it goes like verse that consists of two parts, sung by each vocalist, then the chorus where they're singing together, another two-part verse, chorus, guitar solo, another chorus, the standard structure, you get it. Therefore it's quite easy to get an even distribution. Some songs aren't like that though, for example in Rising Up chorus I can only hear Amanda, and even if Kiske is singing, I can't hear him, I have a feeling he's singing only "rising up" line, and not the rest, and the song really benefits from the clean chorus.

Even though I've said a lot of songs are just alright, the album is really enjoyable. I usually don't pay a lot of attention if some songs are similar to each other as long as I like them, so I liked this album. Not enough to buy it, perhaps, but still, good stuff.

I hope that's answers your question about other thoughts, but if you got anything else to ask about the album, fire away, I guess. ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3027 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »

Sounds like Trixter style in parts - very formulaic but it's clearly a quality sounding release.   I have Lightning Strikes Twice but it's one of many, many albums I hoarded and never gave a proper listen.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:41:57 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3028 on: March 25, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »
Wow, that's horrible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3029 on: March 25, 2015, 04:43:52 PM »
 :rollin

I saw TAC at the top of the thread and I thought to myself.........."Wait for it............." and right on the money  :lol

I certainly won't be buying the new Nelson - I have way too much similar (and better) stuff but , having said that , it's clearly a good production and there's a damn side worse out there from Frontiers etc....

My tastes are also getting a bit heavier as a rule.

I prefer the sound of the Peterik/Scherer to this.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3030 on: March 25, 2015, 04:48:51 PM »
:rollin

I saw TAC at the top of the thread and I thought to myself.........."Wait for it............." and right on the money  :lol
:lol
 :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3031 on: March 25, 2015, 11:53:59 PM »

Sounds like Trixter style in parts - very formulaic but it's clearly a quality sounding release.   I have Lightning Strikes Twice but it's one of many, many albums I hoarded and never gave a proper listen.  ::)

Not sure if it would be your thing given the style, but it's an incredibly consistent and well written album. The first time I listened to it, I thought to myself "I don't like this style at all, but these songs are so good I bet I'm going to love it on second listen". And I did. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3032 on: March 26, 2015, 04:30:15 AM »

I haven't heard it but reviews are beginning to surface and they're mostly 9's and 10's.  Evermind is just a hard marker   :lol
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:36:07 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3033 on: March 26, 2015, 05:26:29 AM »

I haven't heard it but reviews are beginning to surface and they're mostly 9's and 10's.  Evermind is just a hard marker   :lol

Maybe all reviewers are huge Karlsson fans like Kade. ;)

I would say it's 7 - 7.5. Title track is a good representation of the album in that regard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3034 on: March 26, 2015, 05:35:20 AM »

Maybe all reviewers are huge Karlsson fans like Kade. ;)

I would say it's 7 - 7.5. Title track is a good representation of the album in that regard.

haha.  Good honest thoughts Ruslan, and to be honest from what I have heard, your thoughts are pretty much what I expected.  Seems like these songs Karlsson can pump out in his sleep, which are still good.  Looking forward to it of course.

It's alright.  Seems to lack energy though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3035 on: March 26, 2015, 06:53:35 AM »

ie. it's not generic melodic metal? :lol :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3036 on: March 26, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
The lack of energy has to be from the production *Wink wink, cough, cough, DT Cough, cough*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3037 on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:24 AM »
Oh get out, you. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3038 on: March 26, 2015, 07:07:09 AM »
 :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3039 on: March 26, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »
It's getting harder and harder to find decent melodic rock outside of the recognised names we've been talking about - it's out there but damn hard to find.   Websites like mr.com that used to be a goldmine of obscure stuff now only reviews the obvious names and so on............

Anyway - although it's nothing groundbreaking I think I have an obscure one I can recommend you guys check out.  It's something you might need to be in the mood for - it's sorta party melodic hard rock/glam/sleaze/whatever -  let's say Steel Panther dropped the X rated stuff , got Robert Mason in on vocals.........add a touch of Danger Danger/Crazy Lixx , a few whoooahs and if that appeals , then check it out.  Another disc it reminded me of is Marcello/Vestry if anyone knows that.

The band is called Hell In The Club and the album is Devil On My Shoulder.   Like most albums it has its fillers - I rated it 84%.

Samples:

Bare Hands  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elmPKVcSkYE
Whore Paint https://youtu.be/s9gJhtjwjJc
Night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE6DYwPjyBI
Muse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHALorvrT9E
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:21:28 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3040 on: March 27, 2015, 07:04:31 AM »

ie. it's not generic melodic metal? :lol :biggrin:

I saw that coming a mile away.  :lol

Dunno, the samples sounded good but that song just sounded a bit weak.  Will check it out though.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3041 on: March 28, 2015, 06:24:49 AM »
As we expected Ten had another album in the can and will have another new release within 2 months.  The pirate theme could work really well with Gary Hughes' writing style.

I know it's hard to believe but the cover will be even worse than the last one  ::)  Now that's just fucking awful - whoever put their signature at the bottom should reconsider :lol

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:32:47 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3042 on: March 28, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »
It's getting harder and harder to find decent melodic rock outside of the recognised names we've been talking about - it's out there but damn hard to find.   Websites like mr.com that used to be a goldmine of obscure stuff now only reviews the obvious names and so on............

Anyway - although it's nothing groundbreaking I think I have an obscure one I can recommend you guys check out.  It's something you might need to be in the mood for - it's sorta party melodic hard rock/glam/sleaze/whatever -  let's say Steel Panther dropped the X rated stuff , got Robert Mason in on vocals.........add a touch of Danger Danger/Crazy Lixx , a few whoooahs and if that appeals , then check it out.  Another disc it reminded me of is Marcello/Vestry if anyone knows that.

The band is called Hell In The Club and the album is Devil On My Shoulder.   Like most albums it has its fillers - I rated it 84%.

Samples:

Well I know the Marcello Vestry - liked it alot. I've got the first Hell In Yhe Club album. It was ok - nothing to really draw me to it but it was ok.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3043 on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
The new one is a lot better than the debut IMO.   

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3044 on: March 29, 2015, 01:57:07 AM »

Samples:

Well I know the Marcello Vestry - liked it alot. I've got the first Hell In Yhe Club album. It was ok - nothing to really draw me to it but it was ok.

Will check these out a little later, I really like that Marcello/Vestry disc too.

Holy shit @ Ten.  Didn't know they had more music for us, very excited.  Cover is on par with the last one but needs more cleavage haha.  Albion was really good and I still spin it a bit.