Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 577980 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2765 on: December 04, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
I'd say it's a decent sample of their better stuff.............aside from Against The Law , which I love and isn't represented there.   It's also a lot less preachy that album........in fact it's not at all really .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2766 on: December 04, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
A couple of mini-reviews for the new releases I'm going through if anyone's interested (Vega up next wolf).  Both of these albums are getting huge reviews around the traps.

White Widdow: Crossfire  Some young guys from my hometown that play cheesy melodic rock with huge guitars , huge harmonies/whoa ooos  and even bigger keys.   They remind me a bit of say Heavens Edge (vox are a dead ringer) or Roxus crossed with The Magnificent..........just don't quite hit the heights of The Magnificent.    Certainly worth a listen if you don't mind some cliched 80's hard rock.

I dropped the rating on this on second listen as it's just a bit too samey throughout - it's certainly no Frontiers special , but as is often the case these days there's not as much character/variation as I'd like.  Still........well above the average and I rate it 80%

Samples:

Caught In The Crossfire  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2kfF5a0Fw
Dreams Don't Die  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uer50E4haAk

That second track opens with a driving riff that reminds me of a classic Bonfire track

Triosphere: The Heart of the Matter   Certainly better than their first , which I thought was good without being great.   This has a lot more depth to it.   Very heavy in parts but also melodic with some nice ballsy female vocals.

At first I thought this was a bit samey too but on second listen I upgraded this one.  Although there is little variation in sound between songs there is enough in the way of decent vocal melodies to give the songs some character. At times the jumpy, rhythmic riffing on this reminded me of Strato's Nemesis.  No real filler either.  I expect Chad, Kade and possibly Paul would really dig this one.

Rated 89%

Sample:

The Heart's Dominion:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqFtlAnhzu8

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:49:08 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2767 on: December 05, 2014, 05:10:47 AM »
I'd say it's a decent sample of their better stuff.............aside from Against The Law , which I love and isn't represented there.   It's also a lot less preachy that album........in fact it's not at all really .

If that's the album you pimped a few pages back when I asked for suggestions, they were awesome and I'm gonna check that one out I think.

Some of the older White Widdow stuff I've heard was pretty good.  They were one I always wanted to check out more.  This new stuff sound pretty good.

That Triosphere song is indeed solid.  Not an overly big fan of female vox but this is good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: December 05, 2014, 05:18:56 AM »

If that's the album you pimped a few pages back when I asked for suggestions, they were awesome and I'm gonna check that one out I think.

That's the one.   

Classic era Stryper

Against The Law era Stryper

;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2769 on: December 05, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »
Vega: Stereo Messiah     I found it to be one of "those albums" - undeniable quality in production and performance but a bit too familiar - a bit like Work of Art in that regard but with a bit more variety.  I heard elements of a number of bands but a slightly softer Dynazty came to mind many times , just not quite as strong in the vocals (but then , who is?)  Having said that the guy in Vega is damn good himself.

I also feel it's 3 or 4 songs too long. 

I can see why you like it Kade and I had a hard time rating many songs - it was often a case of not good enough for 4/5 stars but not bad enough for 3 and so the rating could depend a lot on the day you strike me.  For now......78% , which is by no means a poor rating.  I didn't hit the Skip button , put it that way.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: December 05, 2014, 08:32:19 AM »
Neonfly: Strangers In Paradise  A frustrating listen and I hit the Skip button often.  I almost felt guilty rating most of the tracks at 3/5.  These guys can seriously play but their writing style doesn't agree with me at all.  I can see that this might be quite a polarising release - some will undoubtedly think it's brilliant - but I found a rather disjointed writing style that results in  well played music that is thoroughly unmemorable.

The only track I would come back to is the one Chad linked to earlier in the thread.

68%

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2771 on: December 05, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »
Neonfly: Strangers In Paradise  A frustrating listen and I hit the Skip button often.  I almost felt guilty rating most of the tracks at 3/5.  These guys can seriously play but their writing style doesn't agree with me at all.  I can see that this might be quite a polarising release - some will undoubtedly think it's brilliant - but I found a rather disjointed writing style that results in  well played music that is thoroughly unmemorable.

Kinda how I felt on my first cursory listen.  Was working late, and had it on in the background.  I'll give it a proper listen, but compared to the debut, I was seriously underwhelmed.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2772 on: December 05, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
Played the Triosphere and liked it. Didn't jump out as excellent but certainly worth a listen. Not sure I'll buy it but will give it another go.

I've tried White Widdow before and they were ok. I like that first song you linked but your write up is spot on. Let's party like it's 1987  :biggrin:

Sampled the Vega. A bit too samey for  me. PLayed Dynazty's Renatus again today and really liked it. Suffers a bit after how awesome the last one was and yes, what a great singer. He reminds me of a young DIO without really trying to be Dio, unlike Mr Lande.

Another I played today was the Chris Laney's Legion. First time I listened I was underwhelmed. Today I liked it alot. He's one of those guys who "gets it". HIs voice isn't the best but it's adequate. As always his production is top notch. I'd have him produce my album for sure  :biggrin:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2773 on: December 05, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
Vega: Stereo Messiah     I found it to be one of "those albums" - undeniable quality in production and performance but a bit too familiar - a bit like Work of Art in that regard but with a bit more variety.  I heard elements of a number of bands but a slightly softer Dynazty came to mind many times , just not quite as strong in the vocals (but then , who is?)  Having said that the guy in Vega is damn good himself.

I also feel it's 3 or 4 songs too long. 

I can see why you like it Kade and I had a hard time rating many songs - it was often a case of not good enough for 4/5 stars but not bad enough for 3 and so the rating could depend a lot on the day you strike me.  For now......78% , which is by no means a poor rating.  I didn't hit the Skip button , put it that way.

That's fair enough but as I said, this one opened up a lot with more listens.  The first couple was a little 'meh' for me.

Sampled the Vega. A bit too samey for  me. PLayed Dynazty's Renatus again today and really liked it. Suffers a bit after how awesome the last one was and yes, what a great singer. He reminds me of a young DIO without really trying to be Dio, unlike Mr Lande.

Speaking of Dynazty, that's one album I come back to quite a bit.  High quality album right there.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2774 on: December 06, 2014, 06:24:18 AM »
He reminds me of a young DIO without really trying to be Dio, unlike Mr Lande.

What about that Nils Patrick whatshisface?   He sounds like he needs a dose of Agarol he's trying so hard to be Dio.  And he actually has a real nice natural voice when he (rarely) sticks to his natural tone.

AC/DC: Rock Or Bust:   Ain't no box o' chocolates.  Not their best. Not their worst. 75%

There ends my in depth review of the new AC/DC  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2775 on: December 06, 2014, 06:32:54 AM »
It's AC/DC, so you know what you're getting. :lol
I really love some of the songs, others are just kinda there. A few little things that are a bit different for them if you're an AC/DC fan (some of those riffs are quite atypical), but seem like the same old if you're not. A bit more rock than Black Ice, and I think it's a bit better, but it's not a huge deviation, as expected.

"Not their best, not their worst" seems like a fair assessment on this one, bl5150. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2776 on: December 06, 2014, 06:35:34 AM »
 ;D   Yeah - I agree in that I was a bit surprised at the groove present on some tracks.  And I also tended to like the stuff that was a bit different - Baptism By Fire comes to mind.

*waits for Blob to say that's the only track on it he hates :D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: December 06, 2014, 06:41:04 AM »
Yeah, a lot more single note riffs on this one. I like Rock The House's main riff and groove the most. And Miss Adventure and Emission Control have slightly surprising riffs for modern AC/DC. Those are probably all among my favourites on the album, although I also love the more straight up title track.

:lol I haven't listened to the album that much yet, but I don't mind Baptism of Fire. Not one of my favourites, but not one of my least either. Middle of the pack for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2779 on: December 07, 2014, 03:13:14 AM »
I haven't liked any of their 2000s output at all, but I'll check it out. They seem to change it up enough from album to album that it may not be more of the same.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2780 on: December 07, 2014, 03:14:28 AM »
Nice! I really like their post-reunion albums. I'll be sure to check this out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: December 07, 2014, 03:17:06 AM »
Just saw that Daniel Heiman (Lost Horizon) is back in a new band called Harmony.  Sounds pretty generic but worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPgp5MFivg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NPgp5MFivg

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: December 07, 2014, 03:21:21 AM »
Sounds ok, but generic. It's a shame he hasn't done much since Lost Horizon, because he's a great vocalist. I have the album with Heed he did, which was pretty generic metal, but there was a song I liked on that. And that was almost a decade ago now. Damn.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: December 07, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »
I've had the Harmony for a while and it has some really good stuff on it....and yeah a couple of fillers.  For the record it's their third album but the first with Heiman as full time (guest  ::) ) singer.  He guested on a track on the last album too.  Solid band with a bit of a neoclassical vibe - I'd rather listen to them than Malmsteen's more recent output.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: December 07, 2014, 04:15:16 AM »
I'll definitely check this Harmony album then.  I remember that Heed album too Blob, but like you, was pretty underwhelmed.

A Flame to the Ground Beneath simply has some of the greatest metal vocals ever put on tape, brilliant album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2785 on: December 07, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
Nice! I really like their post-reunion albums. I'll be sure to check this out.

This
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2786 on: December 07, 2014, 05:38:18 AM »
I like the new Europe album cover.  Pretty cool looking,
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2787 on: December 07, 2014, 06:53:38 AM »
A Flame to the Ground Beneath simply has some of the greatest metal vocals ever put on tape, brilliant album.

A- fucking -men, brother.

Bought the Harmony on Friday. Not all the way through it. Definitely not Lost Horizon though, but vocally it's great.

And Brent, while I haven't pulled the trigger on the latest Crystal Eyes yet, I did grab Confessions Of The Maker because of Heiman. I love it!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2788 on: December 09, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Full song from the Castronovo, Blades, Aldrich album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeZKAVUyKQc

Doesn't really change my mind from before. It's not bad at all, but it's fairly typical melodic rock. The production is good, the performances are good, but the song is a bit too typical, even though perfectly listenable. I would have loved to hear an outright hard rock album from these guys.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2789 on: December 10, 2014, 04:36:06 AM »
Frontiers records strikes again.  It's right up my alley though and I'll definitely check this out.  But did Doug really leave Whitesnake to play on a generic Frontiers project?  Wow.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2790 on: December 10, 2014, 04:38:55 AM »
I hope he finds a good permanent home, because I loved his work in Whitesnake. While he does well here, he's best with some good hard rock.
I'll probably check out the album too, as I like these guys, and I do like this style, it just doesn't sound particularly distinctive or fresh.

You summed it up well. Frontiers records strikes again. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: December 10, 2014, 04:43:42 AM »
You are right, Doug was good in Whitesnake as that fits his style more.  This is just something that any skilled guitarist could shred to, there's no personality needed really.  Even with Dio Doug was a lot more distinct.  To me, he was making a good name for himself in regards to the instrument, but this does seem like a step back, even though I'm all for it.

Yeah, it just reminds me of LRS or Three Lions or anything thrown together from the label.  At least we're pretty much guarunteed some good melodic rock.  Production sounds solid too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: December 10, 2014, 04:48:11 AM »
The production reminds me of the last couple of Journey/Schon albums. I really like Castronovo's drum sound, and Aldrich always has a good guitar tone.

Like all of these thrown together Frontiers projects, this won't amount to anything more than a one off album, so hopefully Aldrich finds a good home soon. I really liked Killing the Dragon too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: December 10, 2014, 04:50:25 AM »
I can't see it happening but I'd love to see him get together with Kelly Hansen again and do a rockin' Hurricane album - get Kelly out of his Foreigner comfort zone.   To me that would be a one off project worth hearing.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2794 on: December 10, 2014, 04:52:19 AM »
Like all of these thrown together Frontiers projects, this won't amount to anything more than a one off album, so hopefully Aldrich finds a good home soon. I really liked Killing the Dragon too.

Yeah, this is true.  I hope he does something more meaningful too.  Killing the Dragon is one of my favs from Dio and Doug's solos is a big reason for that.  His live performances of the old songs was always fantastic too.  I'd actually take Doug in Dio over Snake.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2795 on: December 10, 2014, 04:52:48 AM »
I can't see it happening but I'd love to see him get together with Kelly Hansen again and do a rockin' Hurricane album - get Kelly out of his Foreigner comfort zone.   To me that would be a one off project worth hearing.

Gotta go and try and listen to that band.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: December 10, 2014, 04:53:19 AM »
  His live performances of the old songs was always fantastic too.  I'd actually take Doug in Dio over Snake.

We Rock off Evil or Divine is a fave  :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjJmTKLzMc

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: December 10, 2014, 05:00:22 AM »
That would still be my fav Dio DVD, fantastic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2798 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:09 AM »
I saw that Revulution Saints video yesterday and was ging to link it hre, but it sucked so bad, I just didn't have the energy.

And I really don't get the hub bub for Doug Aldrich. I do like Killing The Dragon too, but if I'm being honest, it's still kind of weak.
Yeah, he sounded great on the live stuff, but that was all someone else's material. There's nothing memorable from his time in Dio where you can pint to and go "holy shit!".  There's nothing original in the least on his Dio albums. Granted I haven't heard anything from Whitesnake, but I just cannot imagine it'd be that good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: December 10, 2014, 08:23:05 AM »
I can't say that I ever understood the hub bub for Magica. Good album, but I felt Killing the Dragon was much better