Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 577924 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2030 on: May 08, 2014, 05:21:30 AM »
Sounds like I got some homework to do.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: May 08, 2014, 05:27:43 AM »
Came back in here to say that the new Winger is friggin' awesome.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2032 on: May 08, 2014, 05:31:01 AM »
My nominations - 1 song from each of the first four

Mechanical Rsonance/Modern Day Cowboy - anyone who says this isn't the best from their debut is smokin crack - Rob Ford style
The Great Radio Controversy/Flight to Nowhere - song-for-song, pound-for-pound, one of my favorite albums from the late 80s.  Every song is a B+ or higher.
Psychotic Supper/Edison's Medicine - those guitar wails!
Bust A Nut/Games People Play - for a change of pace.  This album is definitely 4th in this 4 horse race.

Enjoy!

Came back in here to say that the new Winger is friggin' awesome.

Well fuck.  Now I guess I gotta go listen to it!  I was going of of someone's (Blob?) suggestion that it was only 1/2 good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: May 08, 2014, 05:34:40 AM »
Will check out some of those tunes Chad.

I can see how people might now be too in love with the Winger, but for some reason I think it's fantastic, which is surprising because the samples didn't give me much at all.

The production is amazing, a lot of variety, it's original and the songs are just really well written and everything seems to have it's place, terrific album.  Also, good to see Roth get a few solos, he's a stellar guitarist.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2034 on: May 08, 2014, 05:56:14 AM »
Sounds like I got some homework to do.

I picked my two favorite songs from each of Tesla's first four albums.

From the debut Mechanical Resonance

Cumin' Atcha Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmeE59oSmFw

Changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtad6FzYw9w

From The Great Radio Controversy

Paradise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Pg4E3-u10

Yesterdaze Gone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpIa_H6mG2g

From Psychotic Supper

Edison's Medicine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpIa_H6mG2g

Song And Emotion (Dedicated To Steve Clark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJEewund2zQ

From Bust A Nut

Cry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1bMQKaMZew

Shine Away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErihnN6ubQ
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: May 08, 2014, 06:09:16 AM »
Song and Emotion is freakin' awesome  :hefdaddy  ....probably my favourite of theirs but TGRC gets my album vote.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2036 on: May 08, 2014, 06:13:27 AM »
Mechanical Rsonance/Modern Day Cowboy - anyone who says this isn't the best from their debut is smokin crack - Rob Ford style

I still remember the first time I heard Tesla. I was driving back to college after a weekend at home, and I heard this incredible song on the radio.  I could not believe how awesome the track was. I was waiting until it finished to see who it was, but the DJ played something else and never mentioned it. When I got to my dorm almost an hour later, I literally called the radio station to find out WFT that song was.
It was Modern Day Cowboy.

Bought the album the next day, and saw them open for DLR a couple of months later.

Song and Emotion is freakin' awesome  :hefdaddy  ....probably my favourite of theirs but TGRC gets my album vote.

I've always had TGRC at the bottom. Definitely taking MR and PS over it and I say that Bust A Nut is severely underrated.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2037 on: May 08, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
I rate all of the first 3 very highly so I wouldn't argue the point - to me Mechanical Resonance is very close - Psychotic Supper has many of my favourite songs of theirs (incl.  Freedom Slaves, Edison's Medicine) but also a bit more in the way of filler IMHO.  I don't think you can go too far wrong with any of them though.

I'd rate Bust a Nut and Into The Now a step down but still great albums.  I have a mix tape somewhere of B sides and unreleased demos........can't remember what it contains or how good it is .  Will track it down and see if I think there's anything of interest.

FTR Modern Day Cowboy is my fave off the debut too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2038 on: May 08, 2014, 06:20:18 AM »
Just had a quick listen to Modern Day Cowboy and Changes.  Really solid.  Reminds me heavily of Dokken, which is a good thing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2039 on: May 08, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »
Just had a quick listen to Modern Day Cowboy and Changes.  Really solid.  Reminds me heavily of Dokken, which is a good thing.

I think they were much better than Dokken,  More of a classic rock band. I've always found them to have a strong 70's Aerosmith influence.

I've always said that Tesla was a 70's band with an 80's production. They are NOT a hair band, even though they came out during the same era and toured with a lot of those bands. They are a classic hard rock band a la Aerosmith and UFO.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2040 on: May 08, 2014, 06:29:09 AM »
They weren't pretty enough to be a hair band anyways  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2041 on: May 08, 2014, 06:35:21 AM »
I saw them probably a half dozen times between 1987 -1994. I actually passed on them a few times because they were opening for Poison.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2042 on: May 08, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
Lucky boy - even today they're considered a great, great live band - even if Keith is getting more and more scratchy.  I wish I'd had the chance.

Poison should've been carrying Tesla's bags   :-\

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2043 on: May 08, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »
Lucky boy - even today they're considered a great, great live band - even if Keith is getting more and more scratchy.  I wish I'd had the chance.

Poison should've been carrying Tesla's bags   :-\

Yup... although that would've been a great bill.  I saw Poison twice - once opening for DLR, and once with Slaughter and the Bullet Boys.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2044 on: May 08, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »
I fucking hated Poison. Still do.

Though before they really broke, I almost went to see them in a club in Providence. Kinda wish I had gone to see them there though.
Saw GnR in a small club before Appetite really took off.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2045 on: May 08, 2014, 06:55:35 AM »
Well fuck.  Now I guess I gotta go listen to it!  I was going of of someone's (Blob?) suggestion that it was only 1/2 good.

Nope, I was nowhere near that positive on it. :lol It's no better than the last album. Two good songs, that's it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: May 08, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »
On this Winger release ... I think I'm somewhere between Roberto and Kade.  More than 2 good songs, but there are a few filler tracks in there.  I'll give it a couple more go's, but I'm not feeling it being purchase-worthy.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2047 on: May 08, 2014, 03:12:24 PM »

I think they were much better than Dokken,  More of a classic rock band. I've always found them to have a strong 70's Aerosmith influence.

I've always said that Tesla was a 70's band with an 80's production. They are NOT a hair band, even though they came out during the same era and toured with a lot of those bands. They are a classic hard rock band a la Aerosmith and UFO.

I'd agree with that TAC.
Got the debut on a recommendation back in the day and loved it. TGRC was initially a bit disappointing but its probably my favourite now. Not a big fan of tracks 2-3 which probably made it harder to get into but its a great album. Makin' Magic was a favourite track but its full of awesome.
PS is great. A couple of lesser tracks but plenty of win.
BaN was another with some poorer songs but plenty of awesomeness.
And they invented Unplugged along the way too. Not bad at all.

I didn't really like Into The Now.

And I agree with Kade, the new Winger is excellent. Classy proggish rock, well played and well produced. Not an instant hit by any stretch but a mature rock album.

And I love Poison. Sorry.  :blush

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: May 08, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
And I agree with Kade, the new Winger is excellent. Classy proggish rock, well played and well produced. Not an instant hit by any stretch but a mature rock album.

Exactly.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2049 on: May 09, 2014, 01:24:34 AM »
On this Winger release ... I think I'm somewhere between Roberto and Kade.  More than 2 good songs, but there are a few filler tracks in there.  I'll give it a couple more go's, but I'm not feeling it being purchase-worthy.

Given that we usually represent the two extremes, I would expect this to be the case. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2050 on: May 09, 2014, 05:51:50 AM »
I still need to get the new Winger.  They have never disappointed me.  Take that Tim! :lol

Always loved the 1st 3 Tesla albums and Tim is dead in with the 70's vibe.  I still love me some Dokken.

Got the Toto 35th Blu Ray and the concert is amazing and they pull our a few 80's tune and they are the highlights of the show.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2051 on: May 09, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »

Given that we usually represent the two extremes, I would expect this to be the case. :lol

It's called contrast.  :tup

EDIT:  What are the only 2 songs on the Winger you like?  Rat Race and .......?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: May 09, 2014, 07:17:42 AM »

The opening track. I decided I like it. I thought I would have been pretty easy to predict. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2053 on: May 09, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »
Will someone please let me know when it's safe to come back in this thread?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: May 09, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
:TAC:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2055 on: May 09, 2014, 04:10:45 PM »

The opening track. I decided I like it. I thought I would have been pretty easy to predict. :lol

I thought so, just thought I'd check.

Just listening to the new HEAT.  It's okay, but such a step down from Address the Nation.  It's pretty inconsistent I think.  I lol at how melodicrock.com can give it 100%, wtf?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: May 09, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
New Unisonic samples.  Sounds fuckin' killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydYAUV-AA8s

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2057 on: May 09, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »
Will someone please let me know when it's safe to come back in this thread?

New Unisonic samples.  Sounds fuckin' killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydYAUV-AA8s

Thank you!

EDIT: WOW!!! WOW!!

Offline NotePad

« Reply #2058 on: May 09, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
Unisonic is not AoR!

Will there be another Place Vendome album?

And like i said in another thread, the new samples sound like they have a power metal style to them.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2059 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
Found these gems on YT, classics.
If your not old enough to remember these check em out.
https://youtu.be/LI1AhczKvwA
https://youtu.be/cvl7_9dUIZw

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2060 on: May 10, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »
Tim I wanted to let you know it's still not safe.

I bought the new Winger last night.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2061 on: May 10, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »

Of it's anything like the last two, I hope not. A waste of talent if you ask me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »

Of it's anything like the last two, I hope not. A waste of talent if you ask me.

I wouldn't quite go that far.  They were underwhelming given the lineup, but still somewhat enjoyable

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2063 on: May 10, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »
PLayed the LRS and 3 Lions today. Preferred the 3 Lions by a long way. The LRS just sounded like Journey outtakes circa Arrival, but nowhere near as good, or soundalikes from that album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: May 11, 2014, 03:37:19 AM »
Unisonic is not AoR!

And like i said in another thread, the new samples sound like they have a power metal style to them.

Sorry man if you disapprove of my post.  :lol

Unisonic, I would class as melodic rock/metal, the first album certainly isn't power metal, and I think it fits in this thread, considering the members also.  I agree the new one sounds a lot more like power metal than the first album.

Who knows if there will be another Place Vendome album, they released one late last year so if there is, it'll be a while.

Tim I wanted to let you know it's still not safe.

I bought the new Winger last night.

That was a good move.

PLayed the LRS and 3 Lions today. Preferred the 3 Lions by a long way. The LRS just sounded like Journey outtakes circa Arrival, but nowhere near as good, or soundalikes from that album.

I still really enjoy the LRS, and the Three Lions is growing on me too, some cool tracks on that.

The HEAT falls pretty short IMO.  There's the first track and Inferno which are stellar, but everything else is just good.  Considering the quality of Address the Nation it's a big step backwards, the melodies just don't seem to be there.