Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 582779 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1680 on: February 15, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
Holy crap I listened to a few tunes and it's awesome!!  This is an auto buy!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1681 on: February 15, 2014, 08:19:37 AM »
Stone Fury- TAC approved.
The Outfield- TAC not approved.  :D

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1682 on: February 15, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »
Stone Fury- TAC approved.
The Outfield- TAC not approved.  :D

:lol

I knew that all ready!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1683 on: February 16, 2014, 02:51:37 AM »
Unruly Child is fantastic. :clap: Love the "Worlds Collide" album.  They're fronted by Marcie Free (formerly Mark Free of King Kobra). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5SKtuuKAcQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBt8SEsJEt8

This is a great album indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1684 on: February 16, 2014, 02:54:51 AM »
New House of Lords - Into Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMH8Woy4AqI&feature=youtu.be

I'm actually surprised how much I like it - I say that because it's just more of the same in terms of sound/structure.  It seems we'll never see a repeat (from almost anyone in the melodic rock space) of the creative songwriting on albums like Demons Down , but for what it is I think it's pretty catchy.

I agree to some extent.  This certainly keeps me interested for the whole album, that's for sure.

This is fucking powerful, I love it.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1685 on: February 16, 2014, 11:05:47 AM »
New House of Lords - Into Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMH8Woy4AqI&feature=youtu.be

I'm actually surprised how much I like it - I say that because it's just more of the same in terms of sound/structure.  It seems we'll never see a repeat (from almost anyone in the melodic rock space) of the creative songwriting on albums like Demons Down , but for what it is I think it's pretty catchy.

I agree to some extent.  This certainly keeps me interested for the whole album, that's for sure.

This is fucking powerful, I love it.

Chorus is a bit shit but the rest is fine.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1686 on: February 16, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
Going back to the new Primal Fear for a second, I have to say that this is now officially my favorite PF disc.  I get the new car aspect, but I can say this with confidence.  I knew the latest Saxon was my favorite of theirs after a couple of listens and I knew the new DT would be my second behind I & W after a couple of listens. 

This PF is awesome.  Born with a Broken Heart is the best ballad they've done without question.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1687 on: February 16, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
Just bought the PF this afternoon. Looking forward to digging in.
I'm holding off on the Silent Force for now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1688 on: February 16, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Going back to the new Primal Fear for a second, I have to say that this is now officially my favorite PF disc.  I get the new car aspect, but I can say this with confidence.  I knew the latest Saxon was my favorite of theirs after a couple of listens and I knew the new DT would be my second behind I & W after a couple of listens. 

This PF is awesome.  Born with a Broken Heart is the best ballad they've done without question.

It's definitely climbing up my ranks too.  Just so fucking solid.  Broken Heart is indeed a highlight, but I think One Night in December could be the best song PF have ever done.

I'm holding off on the Silent Force for now.

Don't.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: February 16, 2014, 07:38:19 PM »
Ok...................Ok.........................just bought the Silent Force  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1690 on: February 16, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
Yeah One Night in December is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1691 on: February 16, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »
Ok...................Ok.........................just bought the Silent Force  ;D

Good!

Yeah One Night in December is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard

Totally.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1692 on: February 17, 2014, 03:21:49 AM »

you won't regret it  :biggrin:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1693 on: February 17, 2014, 04:06:35 AM »

you won't regret it  :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: February 17, 2014, 04:17:39 AM »
I know there's not many fans on here and it probably doesn't belong here but;

German power metallers GAMMA RAY will release their eleventh studio album, "Empire Of The Undead", on CD, CD/DVD digipack, LP and digitally via earMusic on March 28.

01. Avalon
02. Hellbent
03. Pale Rider
04. Born To Fly
05. Master Of Confusion
06. Empire Of The Undead
07. Time For Deliverance
08. Demonseed
09. Seven
10. I Will Return
11. Built A World (European bonus track)
12. Avalon (live from the final studio sessions)
13. The Spirit (live from the final studio sessions 1)
14. Empire Of The Undead (live from the final studio sessions 1)

These song titles look really promising.  I'm looking forward to this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1695 on: February 17, 2014, 05:17:03 AM »
Definitely looking forward to the Gamma Ray.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: February 17, 2014, 05:23:56 AM »
Definitely looking forward to the Gamma Ray.

Yeah man.  Master of Confusion was pretty safe, but Empire of the Undead was one of the fastest and coolest things they have done for a while.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1697 on: February 17, 2014, 02:19:10 PM »
New one from Dynazty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hjJJGsehfg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2hjJJGsehfg&app=desktop

Oh yes indeedy.
Their last album is a big fave of mine and they've heavied things up without losing the melody. I love this guy's voice.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: February 17, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »
New one from Dynazty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hjJJGsehfg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D2hjJJGsehfg&app=desktop

Oh yes indeedy.
Their last album is a big fave of mine and they've heavied things up without losing the melody. I love this guy's voice.

Wow, this is fabulous.  I have never heard these guys before so this is an unexpected surprise.  Do they have many albums?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1699 on: February 17, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »
Hmmm....I just checked out a few other songs from Dynazty, and they didn't do too much for me to be honest.  This new song is way more my style.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1700 on: February 17, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
New one from Dynazty

Oh yes indeedy.

Wow, this is fabulous.  I have never heard these guys before so this is an unexpected surprise.  Do they have many albums?

Three or so and the new one due soon I think. I've only heard the last one Sultans of Sin and it's excellent, , though produced as more hard rock than the metal sound of this video. One of my top 10 post 2000 albums I would guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTzWKUIgmo

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
New one from Dynazty

Oh yes indeedy.

Three or so and the new one due soon I think. I've only heard the last one Sultans of Sin and it's excellent, , though produced as more hard rock than the metal sound of this video. One of my top 10 post 2000 albums I would guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLTzWKUIgmo

That song was a lot better than the other couple I just checked.  I may have to hear the whole thing.  That new song is killer though, that's an instant purchase.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1702 on: February 17, 2014, 05:10:04 PM »
I've just had a look at my ratings and the last album was certainly the best of the first three -  the first two contained some pretty average songs.

So , like Paul, I have focused on the Sultans of Sin album.   I've never felt they had the greatest songs of all time but the singer...............man, he's like a modern day Seb Bach in his prime and could really be anything  , including prog metal if he went that way at some point.

The big reservation I have , as with many recent releases, is what I call the "wall of mud" guitar sound which really ruins it a bit for me......and also increases the likelihood of everything on an album sounding the same.   Sometimes (like on Sultans of Sin) there are performances that can make me forget it for a while but if it becomes a habit across multiple albums -like Within Temptation and countless others - then it's often enough to just make me pull the plug.

This new song sounds great - I just hope the rest doesn't sound exactly the same.

My "go to" song for them when I want to hear his magnificent voice is

Falling  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pGDE4AfxeM#t=600
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1703 on: February 17, 2014, 06:44:03 PM »
New one from Dynazty

Oh yes indeedy.

It actually had me up until the power metal chorus. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1704 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
No time to listen/comment right now but here are full list of samples from Pretty Maids

https://www.amazon.de/Louder-Than-Ever-Pretty-Maids/dp/B00IDARONU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392471701&sr=8-2&keywords=Pretty+maids+louder

BTW I just heard a full sample track from the new Seb Bach and , while it's better than a lot of his solo stuff, it was a very "modern rock" sound and not as good as I would've hoped.  The rest would want to be better for me to get interested.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1705 on: February 18, 2014, 03:27:04 AM »

01. Hell Inside My Head
02. Harmony
03. All My Friends Are Dead
04. Temptation
05. Push Away
06. Dominator
07. Had Enough
08. Gun To A Knife Fight
09. Rock N Roll Is A Vicious Game
10. Taking Back Tomorrow
11. Disengaged
12. Forget You

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1706 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:11 AM »
No time to listen/comment right now but here are full list of samples from Pretty Maids

https://www.amazon.de/Louder-Than-Ever-Pretty-Maids/dp/B00IDARONU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392471701&sr=8-2&keywords=Pretty+maids+louder

This sounds really sweet!

Iron Savior trailer;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2ZyIvs7JI

This sounds really sick too.  So much great music coming out!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1707 on: February 18, 2014, 03:20:33 PM »
Re the Rage of Angels Kade (as mentioned in album thread) - I wouldn't fall over yourself to check it out or buy it.  I think it was over hyped and , like many of these projects with big names all over them , the songs don't do them justice.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1708 on: February 18, 2014, 04:06:05 PM »
Re the Rage of Angels Kade (as mentioned in album thread) - I wouldn't fall over yourself to check it out or buy it.  I think it was over hyped and , like many of these projects with big names all over them , the songs don't do them justice.

I'll buy a cheap digital version of the album.  Like I did with the piece of shit Royal Hunt album.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1709 on: February 18, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »
Have a bit to catch up on here.

Re: Primal Fear - I have to say, this is probably the first time that I have seen something talked about quite a bit and was disappointed by it. I don't know, I guess I am not a power metal type guy. It had one or two decent songs, but nothing that was going to make me listen to it again. Oh well.

Re: The new H.E.A.T song - Firstly, I have to say that I quite liked their last album. One of my favorite melodic rock albums in recent years. And actually, I enjoyed this song as well, but I wish it were by someone else. It's fine as a standard rock song, but I was expecting something different from them.

Re: The new Sebastian Bach song - Enjoyed it, not it wasn't amazing or anything. Pretty typical of what I have been expecting from his recent solo releases. Wish I could hear a high quality version, but I think that this album will be better than the last one. I find that his solo albums are pretty hit and miss, some good songs, some not so good. The collaborations with Steve Stevens will make me listen to this one for sure.

I'll buy a cheap digital version of the album.  Like I did with the piece of shit Royal Hunt album.

Are you referring to the latest one? I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet actually and was interested in how it was. I though that Show Me How To Live was solid, if short. 
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1710 on: February 18, 2014, 05:55:04 PM »
I agree with almost everything you said......................except that I often dislike things that everyone else raves over  ;D

When it comes to "power metal"  ,or even prog metal,  I need plenty going on in terms of melody/rhythm ideas to maintain my interest.  Once it becomes all samey, musicianship without songs or some sort of double kick drum endurance race I lose interest very quickly.  I really liked the single from Primal Fear but I'll probably just keep coming back to that one track as I get everything that I need from that and , to my ear, the other tracks don't offer a great deal more.  The last Saxon album was similar - I bought it on the strength of the monstrous title track and thought the rest was average.

The HEAT song is decent but not in the same league as anything off their last album which I agree was very good.

Seb bach................again I agree it's barely okay and I'm interested in what Steve Stevens can bring to the party.  These frontmen often aren't all that much chop when they lose their main songwriting guy - in fact none of them have done much I like since Slave To The Grind.   A case of greater than the sum of the parts , as are many great bands.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:13:31 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1711 on: February 18, 2014, 06:20:36 PM »
Just listened to the Sebastian Bach song (or at least part of it). Same old generic metal shit. Pass.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
Just listened to the Sebastian Bach song (or at least part of it). Same old generic metal shit. Pass.

Yep..............hoping the rest of the album is better but haven't got high hopes.  It's a shame he hasn't hooked up with some decent writers/collaborators since Skid Row .  He's already past his vocal peak and we really haven't had anywhere near the amount of great material he was capable of producing.  Oh well...............he's not Robinson Crusoe there.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #1713 on: February 18, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »
Text

Yep, pretty much agree. My favorite Sebastian Bach song from his solo career was written by...Desmond Child.

I have honestly no idea what Skid Row did after Slave to the Grind. Never had any interest to check it out. Slave remains one of my favorite metal albums of all time though. Something about it just resonates with me.

Assuming you are a VH fan here (this may be slightly OT), what do you think of DLR's solo material? I have really been getting into A Lil' Ain't Enough as of late. I think the strongest part of that album is actually DLR's lyrics, he really did well with that one.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1714 on: February 18, 2014, 06:34:24 PM »
Text

Yep, pretty much agree. My favorite Sebastian Bach song from his solo career was written by...Desmond Child.

I have honestly no idea what Skid Row did after Slave to the Grind. Never had any interest to check it out. Slave remains one of my favorite metal albums of all time though. Something about it just resonates with me.

Assuming you are a VH fan here (this may be slightly OT), what do you think of DLR's solo material? I have really been getting into A Lil' Ain't Enough as of late. I think the strongest part of that album is actually DLR's lyrics, he really did well with that one.

Hey man - you have taste  ;D

I was only thinking yesterday that A Little Ain't Enough is probably now my favourite Roth solo album.............and I'm a big (understatement) VH, Roth and (when on plant Earth)  Vai fan.

I think Roth is seriously under rated as a writer. He did great on ALAE and some of the stuff he wrote for A Different Kind of Truth is LOL hilarious and bloody clever

www.theguitardojo.com.au