Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564258 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Carl Dixon has a great great voice and I think Coney Hatch is one of the best pure Canadian rock bands to come out of the country.

Rik Emmet, Gil Moore and Mike Levine disagree with you.  And so do I.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2011, 09:12:48 PM »
lol well obviously Triumph and Rush rule over all other Canadian bands; thats a given.  But as for the second tier, Coney Hatch, Saga, Queen City Kids, Harlequin, and April Wine are standouts for me.  Especially Coney Hatch, they had the voice and talent to have crossover success in the US.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »
Well, Rush is in a league of their own.  Triumph just a bit below that, and then those you mention.  Lots of other good Cdn bands, but not within the Melodic/AOR genre - except Harem Scarem.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:34 AM »
Well, Rush is in a league of their own.  Triumph just a bit below that, and then those you mention.  Lots of other good Cdn bands, but not within the Melodic/AOR genre - except Harem Scarem.

I never got into Triumph at all, was never exposed to them though I heard Hugo do a cover of Magic Power and I like that song. Will have to give them a go. Any recommendations to start with?
Harem Scarem were a great band. Guitarist Pete Lesperance's solo album Down In It is great also.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2011, 04:39:57 AM »
Allied Forces is their Moving Pictures - ironically, also released in 1981.  I'm also a fan of Surveillance. 

"Must Listen" songs would be Magic Power, Hold On, Rock and Roll Machine, and Fight the Good Fight.  I personally also love Follow Your Heart, but I've heard some feel it's too cheesy lyrically.  I don't mind the lyrics, and the power from the guitar more than makes up for it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2011, 04:44:13 AM »
I'd like to add Honeymoon Suite to the Canadian Bands I loved.

New Girl Love
Burning In Love
Feel It Again
What Does It Take
Love Changes Everything
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2011, 05:33:17 AM »
I was wondering when someone would mention them.  They didn't get much recognition, but were a pretty solid band none-the-less.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2011, 05:38:23 AM »
I was wondering when someone would mention them.  They didn't get much recognition, but were a pretty solid band none-the-less.

Saw them with Heart. Derry Grehan is an unreal guitarist.  They main band got back together in 2009.  I wished they toured the States.  I would have seen them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
Talking of Canadian bands I remember quite liking the Brighton Rock debut but not heard it in years.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:10 AM »
Giving this a bump with a really good new album.

Very classy stuff and the video for the track We Come Undone is done well too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIEnmIVDqno

Also been listening to this

Some great funky songs with a sense of humour on here. The only otther album of theirs I've heard is Freewheelin' and I was disappointed after the excellence of Funk-o-Metal Carpet Ride.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
Never heard Electric Boys.  I was also impressed with that new B&T song when I checked it out the other day.

Here's a couple more I've been listening to lately too;

House of Lords - Big Money

New album from these guys and it's a real winner.  The production is weaker than their last few, but the songs are mature, catchy, well written and great performances, recommended.

From the Inside - Visions

Here's one that came out a couple of years ago.  Great side project from Danny Vaughn, and this has the great Jimi Bell from House of Lords on lead guitar, great melodic rock.

Khymera - Greatest Wonder and A New Promise

Simply one of the best AOR bands in recent years.  Featuring the great Dennis Ward, both of these albums are full of music win.  Great catchy melodies, great performances and just classy melodic rock.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
House of Lords is already on my 'to check out' list (which is 78 albums and a dozen or so bands deep)

B&T... that video was painful.  I had to close my eyes so I could appreciate the music.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »
House of Lords is already on my 'to check out' list (which is 78 albums and a dozen or so bands deep)

B&T... that video was painful.  I had to close my eyes so I could appreciate the music.

Yeha, definitely check it out, I'm sure you'll like it.  Here is the lead single.  This song is okay, but there are much more better songs on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6gk6GYgfs

Also, the B&T video isn't that bad.  :lol Besides, it has Jake E Lee.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »

Yeha, definitely check it out, I'm sure you'll like it.  Here is the lead single.  This song is okay, but there are much more better songs on the album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6gk6GYgfs

Also, the B&T video isn't that bad.  :lol Besides, it has Jake E Lee.

Not a fan of the house Of Lords, though I am a fan of House Of Lords. Enjoyed the last one (Cartesian dreams) alot. Seems every other is a good album.

I like the Khymera. Dennis Ward can do no wrong for me. The Visions album is good too.

Anyone know this little beauty?

Hard to find these days I think, and out of print. A great album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2011, 03:32:28 PM »
Speaking of Canadian bands, do any of the fogies remember Bronze? I had their first album.
(At work, can't link)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2011, 04:15:42 PM »
I don't remember Bronze.  I will check them out.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2011, 04:22:45 PM »
Speaking of Canadian bands, do any of the fogies remember Bronze? I had their first album.
(At work, can't link)

Man, you must be digging deep into the vault.  I'm a Canadian fogey, and I don't recognize the name at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2011, 06:11:35 PM »
I'm Canadian too and I've never heard of Bronze..........I'm familiar with Teaze though.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #158 on: December 14, 2011, 05:42:25 AM »
I'm Canadian too and I've never heard of Bronze..........I'm familiar with Teaze though.

Another more obscure- at least in the UK- Canadian band I liked was Big House. One album of sleazy hard rock then nothing. Grunge (or rather the suits at the record companies who decided hard rock had had it's time and signed anything grungy) had alot to answer for.

It has to be said that these days Scandinavia is the home of hard rock.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »
I had that album on cassette.  Only songs I remember are Dollar in my pocket, and All Nite.  Couple of good tracks though.

And yes, Scandinavia is putting out some good melodic (or in my days, glam) rock albums.

Offline Ghost

« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »
Anybody into the Swedish band H.E.A.T? Really good 80's cheesy melodic rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UORGqxoVCCA

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »
I've heard a couple of HEAT songs, they are not too bad.

Also, new Sunstorm;

JOE LYNN TURNER new album pays tribute to his 80’s vocal sessions

JOE LYNN TURNER’s NEW SUNSTORM album pays tribute to his 80’s vocal sessions
“Emotional Fire” out on Frontiers on February 24th in Europe and February 28th in North America

Joe Lynn Turner’s popular AOR side project with German/American producer Dennis Ward, SUNSTORM, will release the third album entitled “Emotional Fire” on February 24th 2012 in Europe (February 28th in North America) on Frontiers Records.

Born after Turner met with Frontiers Records’ President Serafino Perugino, the SUNSTORM project was a way to dig up some old gems, written by the former Rainbow, Deep Purple and Yngwie Malmsteen singer during the mid 80’s. The task was to create an ultimate Joe Lynn Turner Melodic Rock “dream collection.” This brought on the release of the first SUNSTORM album in 2006 –which met with much critic and fan approval - and the follow up “House of Dreams” three years later.

While the first two albums’ basic inspiration came from the Melodic Rock catalogue of songs that Turner penned for himself or other artists of the genre, for this third album, Frontiers and JLT decided to look at Turner’s numerous vocal sessions he did in the 80’s as a background vocalist for other artists. This brought on a resurrection of some of Michael Bolton’s Melodic Rock gems such as “Gina,” (originally included on “The Hunger” album, where Turner contributed with background vocals), “You Wouldn’t Know Love” and “Emotional Fire,” which Bolton penned for the “Heart of Stone” album by Cher (in which Turner also appeared as background vocalist). “I sang background on the original ‘Gina,’” says Joe, “Michael and I did all of the parts but I tried to rock it up a bit more than the original... not so pop! Good song though! It's funny...I heard ‘Emotional Fire’ from Desmond Child during a writing session and then he asked me to sing background vocals on it! Crazy! It's like one big circle!”

With production and mixing once again under the expert hands of Dennis Ward (Pink Cream 69, Place Vendome, Angra etc.) and a tracklisting rounded out by some amazing songs written by the likes of Soren Kronkvist (Crash the System, Issa), Tom and James Martin (Vega, Sunstorm, Khymera) and Daniel Palmqvist (Xorigin, The Murder of My Sweet), the third Sunstorm album, “Emotional Fire,” is destined to reignite the Melodic Rock passion in every fan. “I think this record has a good mix of songs,” concludes Joe, “Just what ‘Sunstorm’ is supposed to be! Dennis Ward is a great producer and the players are amazing. I have to say I am pleased with the work we did and hope that everyone else will be pleased as well...enjoy!”

SUNSTORM’s “Emotional Fire” will include the following songs: Never Give Up, Emotional Fire, Lay Down Your Arms, You Wouldn’t Know Love, Wish You Were Here, Torn In Half, Gina, The Higher You Rise, Emily, Follow Your Heart, All I Am.

The first single, “Never Give Up” can be exclusively streamed on the Frontiers Records webradio www.frontiers.it/webradio

Weblinks: www.joelynnturner.com / www.frontiers.it

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »

Found them very bland to be honest. Second album was better than the first and it sounds better on a sunny day but I live in the UK so I'd never get to play it.
Joe Lynn Turner has a great voice and Rainbow's I Surrender was the first single I ever bought (along with UFO's Lonely Heart at the same time). The other 2 Sunstorm albums were ok so I'll give that a listen.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2011, 02:33:27 PM »
I wasn't too thrilled with the Sunstorm debut but House of Dreams IMO was incredible.  So many good songs, and a personal AOR fav of mine.  Hopefully this new one will live up to House of Dreams.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2011, 03:16:22 PM »

Much better than HEAT is Wig Wam. First two albums were excellent, the third didn't match up for me but was still pretty good. Awesome live, don't take themselves at all seriously but great songs and performances. Wig Wamania (album no 2) is the best.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
Holy Moly wolf... are you the down under sales rep for Frontiers?  Not complaining, because everything has been a home run.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Holy Moly wolf... are you the down under sales rep for Frontiers?  Not complaining, because everything has been a home run.

:lol No, the guy that runs melodicrock.com is, but I think I should be one too, I love so many of their artists and always look forward to new releases from them. 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
Frontiers records are pretty much the saviors of rock.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2011, 04:50:07 PM »

they've taken a load of my money over the years! they do it well though and nearly always put out quality.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2011, 06:51:22 PM »

Pretty much this.  I love them since I found them a few years ago.  Bought so many of their records.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2011, 05:57:54 AM »
Rainbow's I Surrender was the first single I ever bought (along with UFO's Lonely Heart at the same time).
Two GREAT songs!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2011, 06:58:12 AM »
Rainbow's I Surrender was the first single I ever bought (along with UFO's Lonely Heart at the same time).
Two GREAT songs!

Not a bad start to my music buying addiction.  :)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2011, 07:11:28 AM »
Well after reading this, I need to play some Rainbow. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2011, 07:40:37 AM »
Two GREAT songs!

The Wild The Willing And The Innocent is one of my Top 3 UFO albums!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »
Two GREAT songs!

The Wild The Willing And The Innocent is one of my Top 3 UFO albums!

A much-overlooked album. I love UFO but always found their albums patchy- like Thin Lizzy. They both sounded better live too.