Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 564405 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread
« on: November 10, 2011, 04:30:14 AM »
As all of you know, I am a huge fan of metal, prog, death metal etc. but one of my weak spots is classic melodic rock and/or AOR.  I know there are a few guys on here that enjoy this sort of music so I wanted to make a thread out of it, as I think it deserves some more attention.  Mainly, I wanted to reccommend 2 outstanding releases that have come out this year that will make my top 5 albums of the year.

Toby Hitchcock - Mercury's Down

This is the debut solo album from Pride of Lions singer Toby Hitchcock.  Every song is written and performed by Erik Martensson from the amazing WET project as well as Eclipse.  Every song is melodic rock goodness with great guitar work, catchy chorus' and amazing production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6yMQmSMmXk

Work of Art - In Progress

Second album from these guys.  Features Robert Sall from the WET project also.  This is more classic, Toto inspired music but has brilliant vocals, stunning guitars and just great hooks and keyboards too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IVY-0AFU_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC2Ien6OGiw

I urge anyone remotely interested in this style of music to check out both of these albums. 

Anyone that wants to discuss bands like; Danger Danger, House of Lords, Pride of Lions, Allen/Lande, Last Tribe, Hardline, Sunstorm, Pink Cream 69, Giant, Ten, Magnum etc, knock yourself out.

(I know this won't get many hits) :)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:23:39 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:46:41 AM »
This thread will interest me. :tup
I've been trying to get into more AOR recently, although a lot of it sounds kind of same-y to me. I believe I've checked out stuff from both of those albums before, and they didn't interest me. Allen/Lande didn't live up to my expectations either.

I really enjoy Stan Bush's last two albums. Dream the Dream isn't as good as In This Life, but they've both got some great melodic rock tracks. Journey - Revelation is also another of my recent favourites.
Aside from that, it's just the odd album and track here and there.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 05:37:55 AM »
If you don't know about this website you may like it.  Try it out.

melodicrock.com
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:40:33 AM »
I don't really like the site, but I've used it often just to keep up with what's out there. but it's dreadfully laid out, and any album that's even half ok gets a glowing review.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:02 AM »
I love your music tastes Wolf, so I'll check it out :)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »
Following for sure.  I love Melodic/AOR rock.  Really, I'm not sure how it got it's own genre, but I guess it's like mini-prog... all the creativity, talent, tempo changes, harmonizations etc... but usually omitting the crazy instrumental sections that produce 10+ minute songs.

I just stumbled on to  melodicrock.com recently.  Fell exactly as Blob - good for news and ideas, but the layout is horrendous.

My recommendation ... check out Harem Scarem.  Mood Swings is my favorite, but Weight of the World and Higher are pretty good.  They had a couple of experimental albums (ie, diverging a little from a typical Melodic sound), so I'd start with these.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
I'm a big fan; you could spend hours on youtube just finding rare and obsure 80's AOR bands.  Harem Scarem "Mood Swings" is one of my favorite Canadian rock albums.  Other bands of this genre that stand out to be are House of Lords, Pretty Maids, Allen/Lande, Zebra.  There are discs from Y&T, TNT and Angel that can fall under this category too.   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:32:41 PM »
I had a go with Work of Art today, and Wolf, you too are on my "curse you" list.  :evilmonkey:

It was awesome, and I knew it right from the very first chord of The Rain.  Now I have another band (and their discography) to check out.  Thankfully, it's only two discs.  But seriously, stop it.  I can't handle too many more new bands.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »
Following for sure.  I love Melodic/AOR rock.  Really, I'm not sure how it got it's own genre, but I guess it's like mini-prog... all the creativity, talent, tempo changes, harmonizations etc... but usually omitting the crazy instrumental sections that produce 10+ minute songs.

I just stumbled on to  melodicrock.com recently.  Fell exactly as Blob - good for news and ideas, but the layout is horrendous.

My recommendation ... check out Harem Scarem.  Mood Swings is my favorite, but Weight of the World and Higher are pretty good.  They had a couple of experimental albums (ie, diverging a little from a typical Melodic sound), so I'd start with these.

Harem Scarem are pretty good, but I need to check out more of their albums.  Love Harry Hess' voice. Check out his latest frontiers project called First Signal, really great album.

I'm a big fan; you could spend hours on youtube just finding rare and obsure 80's AOR bands.  Harem Scarem "Mood Swings" is one of my favorite Canadian rock albums.  Other bands of this genre that stand out to be are House of Lords, Pretty Maids, Allen/Lande, Zebra.  There are discs from Y&T, TNT and Angel that can fall under this category too.   

I still need to check out Zebra and Angel.  TNT, Y&T, House of Lords, Allen/Lande and Pretty Maids are all amazing.

Pandemonium from Pretty Maids was an amazing album that came out last year.  Great heaviness but every song has a killer hook, I reccomend that one too.

I had a go with Work of Art today, and Wolf, you too are on my "curse you" list.  :evilmonkey:

It was awesome, and I knew it right from the very first chord of The Rain.  Now I have another band (and their discography) to check out.  Thankfully, it's only two discs.  But seriously, stop it.  I can't handle too many more new bands.   :lol

Great, I'm cool being on your curse list.  :lol  Both albums are just perfect for anyone slightly interested in the genre.  Rain is IMO, the perfect melodic rock song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »
Wolf, you are the king of metal/rock so you must check out Zebra and Angel.  How about Steelheart, Honeymoon Suite, Thunder or Alias, do you like any of those bands?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:25:47 PM by jjrock88 »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 08:35:28 PM »
Wolf, you are the king of metal/rock so you must check out Zebra and Angel.  How about Steelheart, Honeymoon Suite, Thunder or Alias, do you like any of those bands?

Steelheart and Thunder are pretty damn good, but I am unaware of the others too, I think you take the crown my friend.  Looks like I have a lot of work to do.  I might post a big list of my fav AOR bands later, I'm sure there's heaps I'm missing.  :tup

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »
If you don't know about this website you may like it.  Try it out.

melodicrock.com

funny story....a local radio station was reporting on some Van Halen news months back and credited Melodicrock.com with the story.  Problem is, he pronounced it "Melodi Crock.com".  DJ fail.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
Wolf, if you ever have time to post a big list of your top AOR bands that would be great.  Would give me a chance to do more research and discover further bands.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 02:56:57 PM »
Ahh, somewhere I can feel at home on DTF (other than the DT discussion of course). I'll certainly second the recommendation for Harem Scarem but as I never got into them back in the day Mood Swings isn't the be all end all for me. eight Of The World, Higher and Overload are all great albums.

I'll highlight a couple of recent-ish (last couple of years) releases that deserve recognition.

A real fan pleaser of an album. Queensryche please take note!

And

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:11:07 PM by Lowdz »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 03:24:42 PM »
Is that the same Sister Christian Night Ranger?

I think Mood Swings might have been the 'be-all-and-end-all' back in the day because Voice of Reason was such a drop off.  It wasn't until recently that I got re-connected with their discography.  My wife actually knew Pete and Harry, and toured around with them (guess you could call her a groupie  :lol)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
I've heard alot of good things about the new Night Ranger

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
I don't really like the site, but I've used it often just to keep up with what's out there. but it's dreadfully laid out, and any album that's even half ok gets a glowing review.

I remember when the guy who runs that site gave a negative review to a Def Leppard album and then got into a pissing contest with Joe Elliott about it. The ONLY time I've not seen the guy rate an album like it was the second coming.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline B_Hammock

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 01:10:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of Journey, apart from them there isn't that many melodic rock bands I'm that into, although Dare's "Out of the Silence" album is fantastic.

Offline jsem

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 04:50:54 AM »
These album covers look epic, needa check them out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
Ahh, somewhere I can feel at home on DTF (other than the DT discussion of course). I'll certainly second the recommendation for Harem Scarem but as I never got into them back in the day Mood Swings isn't the be all end all for me. eight Of The World, Higher and Overload are all great albums.

I'll highlight a couple of recent-ish (last couple of years) releases that deserve recognition.

A real fan pleaser of an album. Queensryche please take note!

And

Got the new Nightranger a couple of weeks back, had a couple of spins only, but really, really solid record.  That Treat album is amazing, and one of the best albums that came out last year.  Killer records Lowdz.  Here's another one of my favs;

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 04:35:07 AM »
WET is a quality album- can't go wrong with Jeff Scott Soto singing.

Going back in time, these are essential

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »
Ya know, it's weird... back in the 80s, what is now 'melodic rock' was called "glam", and then chastised in the 90s.  Blood on the Bricks is a great album.  Same with a lot of other albums from other supposed 'glam' bands like Damn Yankees, Mr. Big, Extreme etc... 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »
I think the stretch of Breaking the Chains to Back for the Attack from Dokken is one of the best run of discs by any band.  Those discs pretty much symbolize the 80's hair metal genre.  I only have a best of for Aldo Nova, but enjoy all the songs.  Steel Panther covered Fantasy last year and it was great.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
Most of Aldo's 80s stuff sounds so dated (those drums! yuk.) but Blood On the Bricks was a great album. He plays some excellent guitar as well.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »
Not familiar with Aldo Nova either, and I thought I knew a lot about AOR.  :lol  Will have to check that one out too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 06:15:33 AM »
The ultimate 80's melodic AOR album! I loved it..and still do!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »
OK, time to bring out the big guns...

If all you know is The Final Countdown, this will convince you these guys are awesome. Needs a remaster now!

Some people prefer the first album which has a more 80s AOR sound but I prefer this more Melodic Rock approach. And Andy Timmons on guitar. Lyrics are a bit "Steel Panther" but some gold on here. Their last album, Revolve, is a killer too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 01:27:32 PM »
It's a shame that Europe is only known for the final countdown and carrie

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 01:41:56 PM »
The ultimate 80's melodic AOR album! I loved it..and still do!

With the awesome cover of Cliff Richard's Devil Woman.
The guitarist passed away a couple of weeks ago, and they had just released a very good album too, without the original singer though.

Just remembered a couple of other albums that must be mentioned in this thread...

with th excellent Dan Huff on guitar and vocals, and

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
How about Lynch Mob and Blue Murder.  Not sure if they completely fall in the aor genre, but great bands non the less.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
How about Lynch Mob and Blue Murder.  Not sure if they completely fall in the aor genre, but great bands non the less.

First two Lynch Mob albums and the 1st Blue Murder, certainly. MP's collaboration with John Sykes is probably his only project I have any interest in.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
OK, time to bring out the big guns...

If all you know is The Final Countdown, this will convince you these guys are awesome. Needs a remaster now!

Some people prefer the first album which has a more 80s AOR sound but I prefer this more Melodic Rock approach. And Andy Timmons on guitar. Lyrics are a bit "Steel Panther" but some gold on here. Their last album, Revolve, is a killer too.

I can't believe you posted both of these simultaneously.  I bought both at the same time, on a whim (I'd never heard of Danger Danger, and only knew The Final Countdown from Europe), while on a road-trip in Boston (bunch of guys just got in a car and drove 9 hours for shits and giggles), and they are both fantastic albums.  It's the only DD I have, so I guess I have to check out some more.

Just wierd that you posted them both.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
I am one of those guys that prefer the debut to Screw It.  Revolve though is one of the best melodic rock albums I've ever heard.  It's close to perfect.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 03:44:35 PM »
I am one of those guys that prefer the debut to Screw It.  Revolve though is one of the best melodic rock albums I've ever heard.  It's close to perfect.

Yeah, agree about Revolve. The only track that isn't awesome for me is the opener.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »

Yeah, agree about Revolve. The only track that isn't awesome for me is the opener.
What band are you guys talking about? :laugh:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol