Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 570514 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread
« Reply #6335 on: April 26, 2021, 09:07:00 AM »
So I played the new Issa album today and very surprisingly enjoyed it. Her voice has improved and the songs rocked a bit. They were surprisingly well done.

Surprised the shit out of me.

It was a lovely sunny day though, which might have helped.

I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Hey, I’m not sure I can be friends with me too. I feel kinda dirty, and not in a good way 😁

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6336 on: April 26, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
So I played the new Issa album today and very surprisingly enjoyed it. Her voice has improved and the songs rocked a bit. They were surprisingly well done.

What would you do if blindfold yourself and play that album without knowing who that is.  Would you think you would enjoy it?  That's a social experiment that I want to see happen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6337 on: April 26, 2021, 03:27:52 PM »

What would you do if blindfold yourself and play that album without knowing who that is.  Would you think you would enjoy it?  That's a social experiment that I want to see happen.

You’d need earplugs too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6338 on: April 26, 2021, 04:15:16 PM »

Since I'm not a big fan of female vocalists anyway, probably not.  The generic drivel in the music song after song wouldn't help.

You’d need earplugs too.

:lol

Hey, I’m not sure I can be friends with me too. I feel kinda dirty, and not in a good way 😁

You should feel that way!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6339 on: April 26, 2021, 09:39:58 PM »
time again for another song spotlight.  And it's another twofer, but it's the same song!  Back in 1993, Danger Danger recorded an album with Ted Poley on vocals.  But he left prior to its release.  They re-recorded the vocals with new vocalist Paul Laine the following year, but due to a lawsuit between Poley and the band, the album was never released.  Several years later the label eventually released the album, as a double album, with both versions of each song.

Ok, ok, so this is hard rock and not melodic/AOR, but Screw It!

Also, lets hear it for Andy Timmons!

Danger Danger - Still Kickin' (Paul Laine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJt3f11yLUA

Danger Danger - Still Kickin' (Ted Poley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88L-5nspEO0

Who do you prefer?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6340 on: April 27, 2021, 01:04:31 AM »
I have the 2cd version of cockroach.  That song is a banger indeed.  I think I'll take Poleys version.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6341 on: April 27, 2021, 11:31:05 AM »
Ted Poley.

I do love Paul Laine’s voice but TP is Danger Danger. Strangely, I’ve never liked his voice on anything other than Danger Danger stuff.

Screw It was in my top 50.

Andy Timmons is an incredible guitarist.

Has that got my street cred back?

And Chadks earplugs comment is hilarious 😆

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6342 on: April 27, 2021, 04:14:04 PM »
Ted Poley.

I do love Paul Laine’s voice but TP is Danger Danger. Strangely, I’ve never liked his voice on anything other than Danger Danger stuff.

Screw It was in my top 50.

Andy Timmons is an incredible guitarist.

Has that got my street cred back?

And Chadks earplugs comment is hilarious 😆

It's a start mate.

I agree, TP is Danger Danger.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6343 on: April 27, 2021, 05:59:47 PM »
Going from memory here but I would give the edge to Laine , probably because I lived for a long time with the Cockroach bootleg (average production) and Four The Hard Way (Laine) and Laine just became the voice of that song for me.

On another topic ............bearing in mind that this is a single https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuGacn9W0Q    it seems Toby Hitchcock might be moving at least partially back towards the sound of the album that started off this thread.  The mix ain't flash and it's very Frontiersy but it seems he might be about to release something listenable again for the first time in a while.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6344 on: April 27, 2021, 08:58:59 PM »
On another topic ............bearing in mind that this is a single https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILuGacn9W0Q    it seems Toby Hitchcock might be moving at least partially back towards the sound of the album that started off this thread.  The mix ain't flash and it's very Frontiersy but it seems he might be about to release something listenable again for the first time in a while.

Will check this tonight, but if that's the case, that would be most welcome.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6345 on: April 28, 2021, 05:34:08 AM »

Del Vicchio again FFS!!  but.....that was alright.  Had a nice atmosphere.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6346 on: April 28, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »

Sheee-itt!  We're coming up on 10 years!

Vocally, this was pretty good; musically, it definitely left me limp.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6347 on: April 28, 2021, 02:17:10 PM »
Ted Poley.

This right here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6348 on: April 29, 2021, 05:52:45 AM »
I tried having a listen to the Hoekstra album.  Made it 5 songs in and turned it off.  What a generic load of crap.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6349 on: April 29, 2021, 06:21:47 AM »
I tried having a listen to the Hoekstra album.  Made it 5 songs in and turned it off.  What a generic load of crap.

Funnily enough with everyone raving about it I couldn't be stuffed tracking it down (same as pretty much everything since 2019) .........but now I just might make the effort  :lol   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6350 on: April 29, 2021, 06:50:00 AM »

Funnily enough with everyone raving about it I couldn't be stuffed tracking it down (same as pretty much everything since 2019) .........but now I just might make the effort  :lol   

I'd be interested in other opinions but this is getting raved about?  I just couldn't stick it out.  Russ shouldn't be wasting his time with this garbage.  Concentrate on playing Sykes solos only Joel.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6351 on: April 29, 2021, 07:41:25 AM »

I'd be interested in other opinions but this is getting raved about?  I just couldn't stick it out.  Russ shouldn't be wasting his time with this garbage.  Concentrate on playing Sykes solos only Joel.

Some of us miss the 80's ya know?!?!?!!  :D :D :D

I think that's what Joel set out to do: an album with 80's infused hard rock. When I interviewed him I said "if Kobra Kai needed a soundtrack, your album would be IT!". And I stand by that comment. We will never hear music of this kind and feel the same impact as we did in the 80's, but this is the next best thing.

On the same topic of throwbacks, here's my next interview subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrRiViGaA8

I'll be speaking with Tommy Clufetos next Friday.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6352 on: April 29, 2021, 09:00:18 AM »

I reviewed it; I liked it a lot, but it could have been better.  The vocals ruined it for me, which is ironic, because the vocals were the one thing that WASN'T "80's".   My critique of Russell is the same as the one I had of Jeff in Sons of Apollo:  they're both good singers, but they sing in that generic, mid-range voice that doesn't do the music justice.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6353 on: April 30, 2021, 03:26:11 AM »

And you've been giving me shit for liking the new Issa! :biggrin: That was a steaming pile. What a waste of a good voice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6354 on: April 30, 2021, 06:18:14 AM »

And you've been giving me shit for liking the new Issa! :biggrin: That was a steaming pile. What a waste of a good voice.

Fiesty Paul, I like it.  Fair call I guess.....but....Issa......come on mate!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6355 on: April 30, 2021, 06:27:01 AM »

but ...... Del Vecchio ..... COME ON MATE!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6356 on: April 30, 2021, 06:37:22 AM »

but ...... Del Vecchio ..... COME ON MATE!!!

Yeah yeah......I know.  :(

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6357 on: April 30, 2021, 12:57:55 PM »

I wasn’t intentionally feisty mate 😁.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6358 on: April 30, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »
I respected you more when I thought you were!   :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6359 on: May 01, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »
I played the new End Machine album today. It’s very good but jeez, George totally rips off Ain’t Talkin’ ‘bout Love on Shine Your Light. Not sure how he thought he’d get away with it. Good song apart from that. A tribute to Ed maybe?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6360 on: May 10, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »
well, haven't been around for a few days.  My father passed away last week, so I've been at funeral services both where I grew up/he lived for a significant portion of his adult life, and then where he grew up and still has most of his family located.

Drove a total of 24 hours over a 3 day span.  Had lots of time to myself (the wife and kids stayed home for several reasons) and listened to quite a bit of music (my therapy).

Anyway, today's song spotlight is going to be 3 songs.

One of the albums I listened to was 3 by Mastedon (John Elefante's band, not to be confused with the Atlanta-based metal band with a different spelling).  The album is dedicated to John's father who had passed away prior to its recording.  And this song really got to me:

Mastedon - One Day Down By The Lake (See You Real Soon)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGBhDzN5kfc

And for obvious reasons, there is a cover of Dust In The Wind on the album.  I almost lost it when this came on.

Mastedon - Dust In The Wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQtnB3oZw8

And on a lighter note, my brother and I have always been big Toto fans.  My dad was always a bit of a jokester so I'm never sure if he was serious or not, but he always told us that he thought they were saying "nighty night" instead of "99" and we always got a big laugh out of that.  So take a listen to Toto's 99 in honor of my dad:

Toto - 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhw-XlTMB5I
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6361 on: May 10, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »
Very sorry to hear that Jon -  my condolences.

One Day Down By The Lake is a real nice song..........I remember playing that a bit , was my fave from the album if I recall correct.   He has a super clean , powerful voice does Mr Elefante.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6362 on: May 11, 2021, 04:38:22 AM »
Jon, that's terrible news.  Sorry for your loss.  :hug:

I'll fire those tunes up this morning in his memory.   :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6363 on: May 11, 2021, 05:10:56 AM »
So sorry to hear that Jon.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6364 on: May 11, 2021, 05:49:27 AM »
I'll listen to these in honor of your dad, Big Hath. Sorry, mang.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6365 on: May 11, 2021, 06:23:34 AM »
All the best Jon. I know how hard it is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6366 on: May 11, 2021, 09:14:33 AM »
Wow, so sorry to hear about your loss. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6367 on: May 11, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »
Sorry for your loss, losing someone is always hard.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6368 on: May 11, 2021, 03:43:43 PM »
Jon, I'm so sorry to hear that.

I'll listen to these in honor of your dad, Big Hath.

As will I.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6369 on: May 11, 2021, 04:40:21 PM »
Yeah, I'll check these tunes tonight.