General > General Music Discussion

The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread

<< < (2/1379) > >>

jingle.boy:
Following for sure.  I love Melodic/AOR rock.  Really, I'm not sure how it got it's own genre, but I guess it's like mini-prog... all the creativity, talent, tempo changes, harmonizations etc... but usually omitting the crazy instrumental sections that produce 10+ minute songs.

I just stumbled on to  melodicrock.com recently.  Fell exactly as Blob - good for news and ideas, but the layout is horrendous.

My recommendation ... check out Harem Scarem.  Mood Swings is my favorite, but Weight of the World and Higher are pretty good.  They had a couple of experimental albums (ie, diverging a little from a typical Melodic sound), so I'd start with these.

jjrock88:
I'm a big fan; you could spend hours on youtube just finding rare and obsure 80's AOR bands.  Harem Scarem "Mood Swings" is one of my favorite Canadian rock albums.  Other bands of this genre that stand out to be are House of Lords, Pretty Maids, Allen/Lande, Zebra.  There are discs from Y&T, TNT and Angel that can fall under this category too.   

jingle.boy:
I had a go with Work of Art today, and Wolf, you too are on my "curse you" list.  :evilmonkey:

It was awesome, and I knew it right from the very first chord of The Rain.  Now I have another band (and their discography) to check out.  Thankfully, it's only two discs.  But seriously, stop it.  I can't handle too many more new bands.   :lol

wolfking:

--- Quote from: jingle.boy on November 10, 2011, 06:48:13 AM ---Following for sure.  I love Melodic/AOR rock.  Really, I'm not sure how it got it's own genre, but I guess it's like mini-prog... all the creativity, talent, tempo changes, harmonizations etc... but usually omitting the crazy instrumental sections that produce 10+ minute songs.

I just stumbled on to  melodicrock.com recently.  Fell exactly as Blob - good for news and ideas, but the layout is horrendous.

My recommendation ... check out Harem Scarem.  Mood Swings is my favorite, but Weight of the World and Higher are pretty good.  They had a couple of experimental albums (ie, diverging a little from a typical Melodic sound), so I'd start with these.

--- End quote ---

Harem Scarem are pretty good, but I need to check out more of their albums.  Love Harry Hess' voice. Check out his latest frontiers project called First Signal, really great album.

--- Quote from: jjrock88 on November 10, 2011, 05:45:16 PM ---I'm a big fan; you could spend hours on youtube just finding rare and obsure 80's AOR bands.  Harem Scarem "Mood Swings" is one of my favorite Canadian rock albums.  Other bands of this genre that stand out to be are House of Lords, Pretty Maids, Allen/Lande, Zebra.  There are discs from Y&T, TNT and Angel that can fall under this category too.   

--- End quote ---

I still need to check out Zebra and Angel.  TNT, Y&T, House of Lords, Allen/Lande and Pretty Maids are all amazing.

Pandemonium from Pretty Maids was an amazing album that came out last year.  Great heaviness but every song has a killer hook, I reccomend that one too.

--- Quote from: jingle.boy on November 10, 2011, 07:32:41 PM ---I had a go with Work of Art today, and Wolf, you too are on my "curse you" list.  :evilmonkey:

It was awesome, and I knew it right from the very first chord of The Rain.  Now I have another band (and their discography) to check out.  Thankfully, it's only two discs.  But seriously, stop it.  I can't handle too many more new bands.   :lol

--- End quote ---

Great, I'm cool being on your curse list.  :lol  Both albums are just perfect for anyone slightly interested in the genre.  Rain is IMO, the perfect melodic rock song.

jjrock88:
Wolf, you are the king of metal/rock so you must check out Zebra and Angel.  How about Steelheart, Honeymoon Suite, Thunder or Alias, do you like any of those bands?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version